Playing multiplayer over the net??

Mark G. Spencer

Jan 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/29/97

I was wondering which games can be played over the Internet, without
the third party 'servers' you have to pay for. Are there any games
like Duke, Quake, or Doom that can be played by just two people over
the internet?? Do any of these games lend themselves to being played
well at 14.4k modem connections?

How hard is it to set these things up? My brother has Doom II
registered, and the manual doesn't say ANYTHING about modem and/or
network play. The readme file says a little, but doesn't mention
internet.

Thanks VERY much for any help/information!! I'm looking into buying a
game or two, and want to get some that can be played multiplayer
without paying per hour fees etc on third party servers.

email:spe...@liz.wsc.mass.edu
Forsale/Trade/Wanted page! http://bondo.wsc.mass.edu/students/mspencer

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
/ Mark Spencer / Dreadnought! .. And never ever fear. /
/ spe...@liz.wsc.mass.edu Fear is for the enemy. /
/ 914...@foma.wsc.mass.edu Fear and bullets. /
/ spe...@boron.wsc.mass.edu - James O'Barr /
/ Classifieds and Poetry! http://bondo.wsc.mass.edu/students/mspencer /
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Nobody Nohow

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

spe...@liz.wsc.mass.edu (Mark G. Spencer) wrote:

>I was wondering which games can be played over the Internet, without
>the third party 'servers' you have to pay for. Are there any games
>like Duke, Quake, or Doom that can be played by just two people over
>the internet?? Do any of these games lend themselves to being played
>well at 14.4k modem connections?

>How hard is it to set these things up? My brother has Doom II
>registered, and the manual doesn't say ANYTHING about modem and/or
>network play. The readme file says a little, but doesn't mention
>internet.

>Thanks VERY much for any help/information!! I'm looking into buying a
>game or two, and want to get some that can be played multiplayer
>without paying per hour fees etc on third party servers.

Well, you can play a jerky game of Quake on the net for free. First go
to a search engine or ids home page and find a copy of qspy. After
running it to get server addresses start up quake, I use the Q95.bat
file since I run it from win95 and hit escape to get the menu then
select multiplayer then join a game, then internet play then just
enter one of the addresses you got from qspy.

Zailong Bian

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97
to Nobody Nohow

The docs comes with linux doom says it can be played directly. I am not
sure.

laya...@alliance.net

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

>Well, you can play a jerky game of Quake on the net for free. First go
>to a search engine or ids home page and find a copy of qspy. After
>running it to get server addresses start up quake, I use the Q95.bat
>file since I run it from win95 and hit escape to get the menu then
>select multiplayer then join a game, then internet play then just
>enter one of the addresses you got from qspy.

The place to track down a server is http://www.stomped.com
They list allot of servers, pings, rules running, # of players, and a
load of other usefull nfo. And if your game of quake is jerky, get a
better ISP.

Slick...
http://www.alliance.net/~layankee

Tim Johnson

Feb 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/9/97

What baud modem is needed.
Is it possible on 14.4 or is 28.8 needed.

I do the q95 thing over tcp ip and it is a little jerky. my friend has a
zoom 14.4 and he can even get on. I also have a 14.4 ( a practical per.)
and I have a lot more control. Is my buddy doing something wrong? Should
we both up to 28.8 for quake?
Any more comments that would help? We both have pentiums.
Also we cant get our modems to dial so we have to play over the net.

Tim

Brad Spencer

Mar 23, 2022, 10:22:21 PM3/23/22
On Wednesday, January 29, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Mark G. Spencer wrote:
> I was wondering which games can be played over the Internet, without
> the third party 'servers' you have to pay for. Are there any games
> like Duke, Quake, or Doom that can be played by just two people over
> the internet?? Do any of these games lend themselves to being played
> well at 14.4k modem connections?
> How hard is it to set these things up? My brother has Doom II
> registered, and the manual doesn't say ANYTHING about modem and/or
> network play. The readme file says a little, but doesn't mention
> internet.
> Thanks VERY much for any help/information!! I'm looking into buying a
> game or two, and want to get some that can be played multiplayer
> without paying per hour fees etc on third party servers.

I'm sure everyone was wondering how this saga ended. Mark would go on to discover quake 2 multiplayer and this would ruin both our lives for about 2 years...

OldbieOne

May 6, 2022, 9:58:32 AM5/6/22

"Brad Spencer" <vor...@arsenal.net> wrote in message
Ruin? Don't you mean "enhance"? ;)

--
OldbieOne

The One Who Tells It Like It Is (TM)
Brought to you by RetroPC w/Windows v4.0.950B