AOL makes Doom wads "Off Limits"

rjdriver

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
Probably as a result of the Colorado shootings, someone at AOL has
decided to shield it's entire membership, not just children, from the
violence of Doom. Access to it's huge Doom wad library has been cut off.
Even if your parental controls are set to 18+, you still get the message
"Sorry, but you do not have access to this library file." when you attempt
to download.

No other explanation is offered.

Of course the Doom resourses on the Internet are still available for
AOL members who know how to find them, but it strikes me as odd they would
make them off limits to everyone, particularly since they have the parental
controls option which can be used to restrict them from young kids.

--
Bob

Quake 2, Half-Life, and Q3test demo Crosshairs Here -- The Bullseye:
http://members.aol.com/rjdriver/bullseye.htm
----------------
Quake 2 Internet Multiplayer How To For Newbies:
http://home.earthlink.net/~rjdriver/quake2fq.htm
----------------
Almost 400 QUAKE (1,2 & 3) LINKS-with Descriptions
http://members.aol.com/rjdriver/quake.htm
----------------
Etiquette on the Quake servers:
http://www.planetquake.com/quetiquette/
----------------

EvilBill[AGQ2]

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
Glad I don't use AOL... but then what do you expect from that particular
ISP?

--
EvilBill[AGQ2]'s page:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/7568/index.html

Balanco

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
"rjdriver" <rjdr...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Probably as a result of the Colorado shootings, someone at AOL has
>decided to shield it's entire membership, not just children, from the
>violence of Doom. Access to it's huge Doom wad library has been cut off.
>Even if your parental controls are set to 18+, you still get the message
>"Sorry, but you do not have access to this library file." when you attempt
>to download.

When I logged onto my AOL account, and tried file search,
I did get a listing of Doom WAD files. However, clicking
on the selections resulted in a "file not found" dialog
box. Damn censorship! You are not stopped from accessing
web and ftp sites with Doom Wads though.

BTW: I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but I
wish the media would shut up about Columbine. It
seems this incident is being used to spread censorship,
or is compelling self censorship in various areas.
I am truly worried what will happen if some one else
decides to go banannas. Funny, AOL didn't seem to cut
the coverage on the internal news sites.

> No other explanation is offered.

> Of course the Doom resourses on the Internet are still available for
>AOL members who know how to find them, but it strikes me as odd they would
>make them off limits to everyone, particularly since they have the parental
>controls option which can be used to restrict them from young kids.

Probaly image/liability worries.

Remove all of the junk in my address and change Q to C
to reply via e-mail

Balanco

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
balanco@_NO_SPAMmind@_NO_SPAMspring.qom (Balanco) wrote:

(part of my last post didn't come out right, so I'll
correct it here).

I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but I
wish the media would shut up about Columbine. It
seems this incident is being used to spread censorship,

or is encouraging self censorship on download sites (AOL, the
Marine corp. web site are a couple examples). I am truly worried about

what will happen if someone else decides to go banannas. Funny,
AOL didn't seem to cut the coverage of the shootings on their
internal news sites, even though the news is where the shooters
after Jonesboro were most likely (defently would be a better
word) getting the idea to commit these crimes.

thumper

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
Actually, (as the saying goes) you hit the nail right on the head. Even
though they would never admit to it, the media is hoping that if they
keep on harping on about Columbine and incidents like it, they are
hoping another one is going to happen. After all, what brings in better
viewer ratings than other people's misfortunes? Look at the recent jet
crash as an example, they can't even get the body count right in their
rush to be the first to get the "gore" on the newswires (sound like
Columbine to you?), then they all look like dumbasses trying to recant
themselves. I thought there was a "journalistic ethic" out there to
make sure you have the facts right before reporting on them. I guess
"Hard Copy" style reporting is more important now than serious news
coverage. And you wonder why so many people out there hate the press?

Balanco wrote:

> BTW: I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but I

> wish the media would shut up about Columbine. It
> seems this incident is being used to spread censorship,

> or is compelling self censorship in various areas.

> I am truly worried what will happen if some one else

> decides to go banannas. Funny, AOL didn't seem to cut

> the coverage on the internal news sites.

--

หอออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออป
บ บ

Balanco

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
thumper <thu...@waterw.com> wrote:

>Actually, (as the saying goes) you hit the nail right on the head. Even
>though they would never admit to it, the media is hoping that if they
>keep on harping on about Columbine and incidents like it, they are
>hoping another one is going to happen. After all, what brings in better

I don't know about that. After all, if they have any conscience
(they DO have a consience, don't they?) they wouldn't be able to sleep
at night. If what you say is true, then this is another sad case
of money above mankind, and they are willing to sell their soul
(oh, I forgot, God is being abolished from some aspects of society),
and to hell with anyone else or their well being, just to make a
few more dollars (like Pokemon, they gotta collect it all, eh?).

>viewer ratings than other people's misfortunes? Look at the recent jet
>crash as an example, they can't even get the body count right in their
>rush to be the first to get the "gore" on the newswires (sound like
>Columbine to you?), then they all look like dumbasses trying to recant

True

>themselves. I thought there was a "journalistic ethic" out there to
>make sure you have the facts right before reporting on them. I guess
>"Hard Copy" style reporting is more important now than serious news
>coverage. And you wonder why so many people out there hate the press?

I though there was an ethic too, but it looks like yellow journalism
is back in vogue. Some of the the masses (at least the media and the
people who take their every word) truly are asses

>Balanco wrote:
>>
>> BTW: I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but I
>> wish the media would shut up about Columbine. It
>> seems this incident is being used to spread censorship,
>> or is compelling self censorship in various areas.
>> I am truly worried what will happen if some one else
>> decides to go banannas. Funny, AOL didn't seem to cut
>> the coverage on the internal news sites.
>--

> หอออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออป
> บ บ
> บ "We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million บ
> บ typewriters will eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare.บ
> บ Now, thanks to the Internet and especially the Usenet บ
> บ newsgroups, we know this is not true." บ
> บ บ
> บ -Anonymous บ
> บ บ
> ศอออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออผ

NYdude

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
I find it funny that they (media) chose to blame Doom since it is one
of the most popular PC games (of all time.) Heck, it was one of the
first PC games I played when I was young (that, King's Quest 5, and
Frogger.)

Anyway, AOL probably want's to be 'morally correct' so that parents
would think of AOL as a safe place for their kids. If you don't want
to be censored use the Internet.

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999 19:22:50 -0400, "rjdriver" <rjdr...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

> Probably as a result of the Colorado shootings, someone at AOL has
>decided to shield it's entire membership, not just children, from the
>violence of Doom. Access to it's huge Doom wad library has been cut off.
>Even if your parental controls are set to 18+, you still get the message
>"Sorry, but you do not have access to this library file." when you attempt
>to download.
>

> No other explanation is offered.
>
> Of course the Doom resourses on the Internet are still available for
>AOL members who know how to find them, but it strikes me as odd they would
>make them off limits to everyone, particularly since they have the parental
>controls option which can be used to restrict them from young kids.

Balanco

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
coolmi...@hotmail.com (NYdude) wrote:

>I find it funny that they (media) chose to blame Doom since it is one
>of the most popular PC games (of all time.) Heck, it was one of the
>first PC games I played when I was young (that, King's Quest 5, and
>Frogger.)

>Anyway, AOL probably want's to be 'morally correct' so that parents
>would think of AOL as a safe place for their kids. If you don't want

AOL is not a very safe place for kids to begin with.
Perverts hanging out in the chat rooms, porno e-mail
comming from *inside* of the service (not
just a forged AOL adress) through trial, stolen
of faked AOL accounts that TOS can really do nothing
about, Weirdos posting porn ads and all kinds of
garbage in the aol.newsgroups.bugs newsgroups.
With all of this crap going on, AOL has far more to
worry about than Doom Wads which can't be used without
the registered version of Doom/Doom2.

Len Pitre

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
NYdude wrote:
>I find it funny that they (media) chose to blame Doom since it is one
>of the most popular PC games (of all time.) Heck, it was one of the
>first PC games I played when I was young (that, King's Quest 5, and
>Frogger.)

Frogger? Now that's a game that corrupts youth.:) It teaches you that:

Frogs are as big as cars.

Frogs die when they hit water.

The sequel (on the C64), "Threeedeep" (cute gimmick for the name) also teaches
that:

Frogs DON'T die when they hit water. (Correct, but hardly consistent.)

Frogs can hop through clouds.

Frogs can survive falls through the holes in the clouds and can land on
the ground without dying.

I think we should ban this game before kids start painting their friends green
and throwing them into traffic!

:)

Len

--
Pointless SIG file
Replace "doom" with "hotmail" to send e-mail.

Karl-Oscar Olson

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
There is a new sequel to Frogger out (for the PC), haven´t tried it though.
I played it on my C64, which i by the way just got down from the attic
and tried to get it to work again. Now, it works perfect and i can play
Beachead again...;-)
(sorry if this is off-topic but i just had to mention it)

Len Pitre

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Karl-Oscar Olson wrote:
>There is a new sequel to Frogger out (for the PC), haven´t tried it though.

Someone I know really didn't like it. YMMV.

>I played it on my C64, which i by the way just got down from the attic
>and tried to get it to work again. Now, it works perfect and i can play
>Beachead again...;-)

Very nice game. Beachhead 2 was cool too. (The sounds for that might be good
for a rather odd Doom level. "Medic!" "I'm hit!" "Wahhhhhhh!":)

Funny story - one time while playing Beachhead 2 at a friend's house, the
computer mis-played the "Wahhhhhhh!" sound, and it sounded like this really
cool half-strangled scream. Too bad we couldn't get it to do it again, when we
had a tape recorder handy.:)

>(sorry if this is off-topic but i just had to mention it)

:) Most of us C64 fans feel the same way.

Balanco

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99
I_Am_Th...@Doom.com (Len Pitre) wrote:

>NYdude wrote:
>>I find it funny that they (media) chose to blame Doom since it is one
>>of the most popular PC games (of all time.) Heck, it was one of the
>>first PC games I played when I was young (that, King's Quest 5, and
>>Frogger.)

>Frogger? Now that's a game that corrupts youth.:) It teaches you that:

>Frogs are as big as cars.

>Frogs die when they hit water.

>The sequel (on the C64), "Threeedeep" (cute gimmick for the name) also teaches
>that:

>Frogs DON'T die when they hit water. (Correct, but hardly consistent.)

>Frogs can hop through clouds.

>Frogs can survive falls through the holes in the clouds and can land on
>the ground without dying.

>I think we should ban this game before kids start painting their friends green
>and throwing them into traffic!

>:)

We better ban Pacman as well. A while back, they had a story on
the news about gangs/juvinile criminals, and one kid who was in
a gang said that Pacman makes him high/sets him off or some
such shit. Actualy this story was very disturbing.

Justin H.

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
Why on Earth would anyone want to even bother with AOL? They suck major cow
tits! Geez you can find a local ISP with alot better service and faster
servers. But you are right about WAD's being available almost anywhere on
the 'Net. You just gotta look for 'em.

-Night Ranger-

rjdriver <rjdr...@earthlink.net> wrote in article
<7j4ecd$7g9$1...@fir.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...

Justin H.

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
hahahaha, that's about where these damn censorship of "violent" video games
people are headed, ain't it? They could find alot more violence in the
movies everyone watches, e.g. have you ever heard of Friday the 13th being
blamed for mass murders and chainsaw-toting killers? No! But as soon as
they find out that those kids played Doom, watchout, it's gonna get banned.
Damn it, just blame the people that commit the crime, not what they were
"influenced" by. People can choose to kill someone else or not. A video
game does not choose for them. Bottom line.

-Night Ranger-

Len Pitre <I_Am_Th...@Doom.com> wrote in article
<xMQ63.292$aP5....@sapphire.mtt.net>...

> NYdude wrote:
> >I find it funny that they (media) chose to blame Doom since it is one
> >of the most popular PC games (of all time.) Heck, it was one of the
> >first PC games I played when I was young (that, King's Quest 5, and
> >Frogger.)
>
> Frogger? Now that's a game that corrupts youth.:) It teaches you that:
>
> Frogs are as big as cars.
>
> Frogs die when they hit water.
>
> The sequel (on the C64), "Threeedeep" (cute gimmick for the name) also
teaches
> that:
>
> Frogs DON'T die when they hit water. (Correct, but hardly consistent.)
>
> Frogs can hop through clouds.
>
> Frogs can survive falls through the holes in the clouds and can land on
> the ground without dying.
>
> I think we should ban this game before kids start painting their friends
green
> and throwing them into traffic!
>
> :)

Mike

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
Justin H. wrote:

> Why on Earth would anyone want to even bother with AOL? They suck major cow
> tits! Geez you can find a local ISP with alot better service and faster
> servers. But you are right about WAD's being available almost anywhere on
> the 'Net. You just gotta look for 'em.
>
> -Night Ranger-
>
> rjdriver <rjdr...@earthlink.net> wrote in article
> <7j4ecd$7g9$1...@fir.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...
> > Probably as a result of the Colorado shootings, someone at AOL has
> > decided to shield it's entire membership, not just children, from the
> > violence of Doom. Access to it's huge Doom wad library has been cut
> off.

yet another reason why its better to go with a real isp then aol.

Mike

--
To reply, remove NOSPAM from my Email address. begone Spammers!!

Mike

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
Justin H. wrote:

> hahahaha, that's about where these damn censorship of "violent" video games
> people are headed, ain't it? They could find alot more violence in the
> movies everyone watches, e.g. have you ever heard of Friday the 13th being
> blamed for mass murders and chainsaw-toting killers? No! But as soon as
> they find out that those kids played Doom, watchout, it's gonna get banned.
> Damn it, just blame the people that commit the crime, not what they were
> "influenced" by. People can choose to kill someone else or not. A video
> game does not choose for them. Bottom line.

I suppose if someone used a hammer to kill a bunch of people they will
go after the hammer manufactuers next or better yet a machette.

Skye

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
Here's a good one for ya....one of the wads out there was written by a
Texas A&M student. It supposedly was set in his local high school,
Bryan High, and "supposedly" you could identify certain teachers,
rooms, etc. ::big laugh here:: I live in Bryan/College Station and I
had dled the wad some time ago. There wasn't anything identifiable in
it...and I've been in Bryan High. Needless to say he was told to get
it off the server NOW and did so. Guess when they can't find answers
they grab the first thing they can find, right? Both my kids, my
husband, and I play these games...and so far, not one of us has
committed a single murder, much less a mass murder. It's utterly
ridiculous.

Skye

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999 10:00:14 GMT, "Justin H." <jh1...@gorge.net>
wrote:

>hahahaha, that's about where these damn censorship of "violent" video games
>people are headed, ain't it? They could find alot more violence in the
>movies everyone watches, e.g. have you ever heard of Friday the 13th being
>blamed for mass murders and chainsaw-toting killers? No! But as soon as
>they find out that those kids played Doom, watchout, it's gonna get banned.
>Damn it, just blame the people that commit the crime, not what they were
>"influenced" by. People can choose to kill someone else or not. A video
>game does not choose for them. Bottom line.

"When waking a tiger, use a long stick." Mao Tse-Tung

Karl-Oscar Olson

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99

Justin H. skrev i meddelandet <01bebb02$abd5d940$19c3...@gorge.net>...

>A video
>game does not choose for them. Bottom line.

Have you seen the movie Brainscan?...;-)

Balanco

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
"Justin H." <jh1...@gorge.net> wrote:

>Why on Earth would anyone want to even bother with AOL? They suck major cow
>tits! Geez you can find a local ISP with alot better service and faster

Unfortunately, not everyone can do so (lack of local # access
for any regular ISP being one major reason). AOL isn't
good for usenet reading, though it appears their server
does transmit and receive posts very fast, because
of their proprietary interface that dosen't allow
you to use 3rd party newsreader with AOL's server
(you have to find a 3rd party NNTP server for that).
They are just now testing the Usenet kill file features,
sheesh :\

>servers. But you are right about WAD's being available almost anywhere on
>the 'Net. You just gotta look for 'em.

Atleast they are not blocking access "for the children's sake".
I wouldn't be suprised if the yanked the Doom directories
off of their FTP mirror though :(

<snip>

Rez

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
Balanco wrote:
> Unfortunately, not everyone can do so (lack of local # access
> for any regular ISP being one major reason).

Sad but true :(

> Atleast they are not blocking access "for the children's sake".

Right. After all it's us 44 year old maniacs who are going to go out and
shoot people for restricting our access to DOOM :)

> I wouldn't be suprised if the yanked the Doom directories
> off of their FTP mirror though :(

I just checked (the objects of our concern are at
ftp://mirrors.aol.com/pub/pc_games/doom/
and the mirror is still intact.
BTW this server is generally quite fast.

~REZ~

plateshutoverlock

Jul 3, 2023, 9:30:41 PM7/3/23
.
> BTW: I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but I
> wish the media would shut up about Columbine. It
> seems this incident is being used to spread censorship,
> or is compelling self censorship in various areas.
> I am truly worried what will happen if some one else
> decides to go banannas. Funny, AOL didn't seem to cut
> the coverage on the internal news sites.
> > No other explanation is offered.
> > Of course the Doom resourses on the Internet are still available for
> >AOL members who know how to find them, but it strikes me as odd they would
> >make them off limits to everyone, particularly since they have the parental
> >controls option which can be used to restrict them from young kids.
> Probaly image/liability worries.

We live in an era where suspects in a felony case are blurred
out in the news media, and people in high places are quivering
under the table in fear of the big bad "liability", no matter
how real the threat actually is. And there are terrorists, chomos,
mass shooters, and killer clowns hiding behind every bush
just waiting to get you.

Robots and lemmings. One person gets scared we all must get
scared and anyone who does not march in this line must be some
kind of "threat" that we need to have beat up and thrown into
a cell forever with the Booty Bandit.

And is it any wonder people are flipping out left and right
getting gacked up on shit like fentanyl knowing how deadly
it is just for a temporary escape from all this madness and
loss of hope?

Too bad AOL did the kneejerk and pulled those wads to in reality
save their own skins. I'm sure many of them didn't make it
to the internet at large and were lost forever. Group punishment.
One Doom fan did wrong we all must pay.

D. Ray

Aug 8, 2023, 2:37:01 AM8/8/23
plateshutoverlock <blinking...@gmail.com> writes:

> We live in an era where suspects in a felony case are blurred
> out in the news media

I'm not sure who are you replying to because I can't see the original
message on my server, but I can assure you that you're talking to a
person from different era, probably more than a decade ago.