Installing Diablo 2 without a CD drive?

Al Smith

Sep 7, 2008, 12:05:19 AM9/7/08
I just got an Acer Aspire One netbook, and I want to install my
(fully legal - I bought the Battle Chest) copy of Diablo 2 on it,
but the problem is, the netbook has no CD drive.

I was able to get Diablo 2 itself to install with no problem by
copying all the files into one directory on the hard drive, but I
can't get the Expansion disk to upgrade to Lord of Destruction. It
keeps telling me to insert Install disk in CD drive ... but there's
no CD drive to insert it into. Does anyone know how to beat this
problem?

Needless to say, once it's installed, I plan to use the "no CD" hack
to play the game.

-Al-

Ralf Baumhoefer

Sep 7, 2008, 7:17:31 AM9/7/08
"Al Smith" <inv...@address.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

You could connect to a shared network drive.

If you use Patch 1.12, you don't the CD to play anymore,
because the copy protection was removed.

Bob I

Sep 7, 2008, 9:46:24 AM9/7/08
Do you have another PC? If so, all you have to do is copy the entire
DiabloII directory to the the new PC. use a thumb drive or network
connection.

Ross (RPJ)

Sep 7, 2008, 9:46:29 AM9/7/08

"Al Smith" <inv...@address.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Sorry, but I just have to ask. If you don't have a CD drive, how do you
install anything?

If it has a dvd drive, that should read the CD's.

Mark Morrison

Sep 7, 2008, 9:47:51 AM9/7/08

Or just download a warez version, and mount it with Daemon Tools, or
similar.

jcrud

Sep 7, 2008, 11:41:07 AM9/7/08
Download it from the Blizzard store.

Al Smith

Sep 7, 2008, 2:09:51 PM9/7/08

Will that work. Wow, that's great, if it works. I do have Diablo
installed on my own PC, and I have a 2-gig thumb drive, which should
be big enough to do it in a couple of transfers. I didn't think that
would work, because I assumed the game would write to the registry.

-Al-

Al Smith

Sep 7, 2008, 2:11:00 PM9/7/08

I just heard about the no-CD feature in the latest 1.12 patch last
night, when I was Googling. That's really great. At last we don't
have to download hacks to do this. Good for Blizzard!

-Al-

Al Smith

Sep 7, 2008, 2:12:54 PM9/7/08

Netbooks don't have CD or DVD drives. They do have USB ports, so
thumb drives can be used to transfer data. Of course, if someone
wants, they can buy an external USB DVD drive, but I don't want to
spend the money on one unless I must. I already own a couple of
thumb drives, so I use them for transferring data. My netbook is not
yet connected to the Internet.

-Al-

Al Smith

Sep 7, 2008, 2:14:21 PM9/7/08

I heard you could do that last night -- connect to Blizzard and
download a copy directly to the computer. But I'm going to try just
transferring all the files in the directory, and see what happens.
If it works, that will be the easy way.

-Al-

Polarhound

Sep 7, 2008, 2:24:29 PM9/7/08

You can always set up the cdrom on your desktop as a shared network
drive and install over a LAN instead.

Al Smith

Sep 7, 2008, 3:36:09 PM9/7/08

I've never done that, and don't know how to do it. But if other
methods don't work out, that will be something I'll look into.

If the straight transfer of the directory files doesn't work out,
downloading the thing from Blizzard sounds like my second method to
investigate. I read that if you register for free with Blizzard, you
can download the entire Diablo 2 with Expansion program directly to
the computer. All you need is the code from the CD cases. Don't know
if that's true but it would be one way to get the job done. I can
plug the netbook into my D-Link router via its ethernet port.

-Al-

Polarhound

Sep 7, 2008, 5:44:42 PM9/7/08

On XP, you would open My Computer, right-click on the cdrom icon, select
properties, select the sharing tab, click through the warning and set
everything up after that in the tab.

Once you do that, assuming you have file and printer sharing turned on
(and you probably do by default) you can navigate via My Network Places
on the desktop to the computer, then the drive, then the executable. Of
course, it will be only as fast as your network :)

Bob I

Sep 7, 2008, 6:07:56 PM9/7/08

Replaced wifes PC this spring (was a Win 98 box) and has my second copy
of Diablo on it. New box is Vista, and I just copied the entire
directory across the lan to the new box. No install, just put the
expansion CD in the drive and started the game and logged on. Now with
the last update, don't even need the CD in the drive.

Al Smith

Sep 7, 2008, 8:33:37 PM9/7/08

Yup. I was just reporting back to let everyone know how it turned
out. I copied my entire directory over to the netbook, and it ran
like a watch. I didn't even need to change a single file.

The downside of this method is that is does not generate startup
items, and does not put an entry into the add-remove section. And I
don't see an uninstall file in the directory, either. But it works
perfectly -- I didn't even need to install the 1.12a upgrade, since
I was already running a no-CD hack for version 1.11b.

I want to thank everyone here for the advice.

-Al-

Al Smith

Sep 7, 2008, 8:34:45 PM9/7/08

Just copying over all the files worked perfectly.

-Al-

Bob I

Sep 7, 2008, 10:13:57 PM9/7/08

You can copy the start up shortcut(if you don't feel like creating one
from scratch) , and as for "uninstalling", you just delete the DiabloII
folder. ;-)

Al Smith

Sep 7, 2008, 10:58:32 PM9/7/08

Been trying to make the shortcut thing on the startup. Track pads
are really annoying! Takes ten minutes to do some of the stuff I can
do in 30 seconds with a mouse. I got a shortcut in the upper-left
corner of startup "pinned" as MS calls it. Didn't mean to pin it but
there it is. But I can unpin it, which I will do when my frustration
level with the trackpad goes down a bit. On the plus side, I tested
out my ethernet connection and it works fine. Next big step, getting
a wireless router. :-)

-Al-

Saber

Sep 8, 2008, 12:47:26 AM9/8/08

CD/DVD drives dont come with notebooks? every notebook ive had or seen
has them built in. not a USB add-on, but actually built into it. maybe
the type you looked at doesnt come standard, but in general, i find they do.

glad to hear you got it sorted out though. :)

--
Saber

Al Smith

Sep 8, 2008, 4:47:03 PM9/8/08

The little teeny netbooks don't have DVD drives, just USB plugs, and
slots for cards, sometimes. Mine's only got a 9-inch screen. Diablo
II plays just fine on it.

-Al-

John Gordon

Sep 8, 2008, 5:54:39 PM9/8/08
In <48c4ae64$0$29500$607e...@cv.net> Saber <sab...@IEATSPAMMERSoptonline.net> writes:

> > Netbooks don't have CD or DVD drives. They do have USB ports, so thumb

> CD/DVD drives dont come with notebooks? every notebook ive had or seen

Netbook, not notebook.

gor...@panix.com B is for Basil, assaulted by bears

jcrud

Sep 8, 2008, 5:55:20 PM9/8/08
I wish I could play it on my PSP.

Al Smith

Sep 8, 2008, 9:01:12 PM9/8/08

That's one big advantage to older games -- that, and the lack of
DRM. I sure hope Blizzard doesn't DRM the hell out of Diablo 3.

-Al-

Saber

Sep 9, 2008, 3:44:38 PM9/9/08
John Gordon wrote:
> In <48c4ae64$0$29500$607e...@cv.net> Saber <sab...@IEATSPAMMERSoptonline.net> writes:
>
>>> Netbooks don't have CD or DVD drives. They do have USB ports, so thumb
>
>> CD/DVD drives dont come with notebooks? every notebook ive had or seen
>
> Netbook, not notebook.

hum... maybe i should read slower. lol

--
Saber

Trammel

Sep 10, 2008, 12:24:18 PM9/10/08
"Al Smith" <inv...@address.com> wrote in message

To create a shortcut:
Hold down CTRL+SHIFT while you drag the "Diablo II.exe" file to the desktop
or a folder.

Trammel

Sep 10, 2008, 12:36:22 PM9/10/08
"Polarhound" <udf7832...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Ofcourse a Vsita machine can't see any shares from an XP machine unless you
install a special patch from M$... but Im unaware if such a patch exists for
Win98... I doubt it but I could be wrong.

EvilBill

Sep 10, 2008, 3:23:03 PM9/10/08
Al Smith wrote:

> Will that work. Wow, that's great, if it works. I do have Diablo
> installed on my own PC, and I have a 2-gig thumb drive, which should be
> big enough to do it in a couple of transfers. I didn't think that would
> work, because I assumed the game would write to the registry.

It does use the Registry, but it'll run just fine without it :)
I have my D2:LoD install burned to a DVD, so all I have to do when I
reformat is copy the DVDs contents to the HD and Bon's your uncle. :)

--
* 404 Error: Weapons of Mass Destruction not found. Please reinstall
regime and reboot.

EvilBill's Dominion - Diablo stories, Quake videos and more!
http://www.devlinwright.co.uk
Now with Forums: http://www.devlinwright.co.uk/forum/

EvilBill

Sep 10, 2008, 3:25:32 PM9/10/08
Al Smith wrote:

> If the straight transfer of the directory files doesn't work out,
> downloading the thing from Blizzard sounds like my second method to
> investigate. I read that if you register for free with Blizzard, you can
> download the entire Diablo 2 with Expansion program directly to the
> computer. All you need is the code from the CD cases. Don't know if
> that's true but it would be one way to get the job done. I can plug the
> netbook into my D-Link router via its ethernet port.

It is true, I've done it :)

Al Smith

Sep 10, 2008, 8:40:03 PM9/10/08

Thanks for the tip. I'm still not used to a trackpad. Awkward thing.

-Al-

Al Smith

Sep 10, 2008, 8:41:08 PM9/10/08
> Al Smith wrote:
>>
>> Will that work. Wow, that's great, if it works. I do have Diablo installed on my own PC, and I have a 2-gig thumb drive, which should be big enough to do it in a couple of transfers. I didn't think that would work, because I assumed the game would write to the registry.
>>

> It does use the Registry, but it'll run just fine without it :)
> I have my D2:LoD install burned to a DVD, so all I have to do when I reformat is copy the DVDs contents to the HD and Bon's your uncle. :)

It's a good thing to know, when installing Diablo II to a second
computer.

-Al-

~misfit~

Sep 10, 2008, 8:43:33 PM9/10/08
Somewhere on teh intarweb "EvilBill" typed:

> Al Smith wrote:
>>
>> Will that work. Wow, that's great, if it works. I do have Diablo
>> installed on my own PC, and I have a 2-gig thumb drive, which should
>> be big enough to do it in a couple of transfers. I didn't think that
>> would work, because I assumed the game would write to the registry.
>>

> It does use the Registry, but it'll run just fine without it :)
> I have my D2:LoD install burned to a DVD, so all I have to do when I
> reformat is copy the DVDs contents to the HD and Bon's your uncle. :)

Yep, that works well, I haven't installed from media for years. I have all
four of my install disectories (four keysets) copied to a data drive and, if
I need to "install" I simply copy the folder across the network, then
right-click the exe, pick 'Send To' - 'Desktop (Create Shortcut)' and Bob's
a parent's brother.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Michael S

Sep 11, 2008, 2:14:48 PM9/11/08

"Trammel" <M...@Server.com> wrote in message

<major snippage>

> Ofcourse a Vsita machine can't see any shares from an XP machine unless
> you install a special patch from M$... but Im unaware if such a patch
> exists for Win98... I doubt it but I could be wrong.

Pardon me taking this thread more off-topic, but Trammel brought up a
question i have had for awhile... is this a patch for the XP (sharing)
computer, or the Vista (wanting to see a share) computer?

Thanks!

--Michael

Trammel

Sep 11, 2008, 9:15:14 PM9/11/08