How does an assassin do anything useful in hell cows?

Stephen R. Marsh

Sep 28, 2002, 7:27:55 PM9/28/02

Man, death sentry is detuned or something. The corpse explosion in hell
doesn't do more than wake the cows up. At level 26 or 27 the best fire trap
barely tickles them.

My defiance merc dies in seconds. All in all, it is embarassing to be an
assassin on a hell cows run. I am bringing the leg and the tome, so I feel
like I've contributed something, but ....

How does any assassin make it to 79 in order to use Nat's set?

Stephen
http://adrr.com/hero/diablo.htm
http://adrr.com/story/

kiwiboy

Sep 28, 2002, 7:59:17 PM9/28/02
On 28 Sep 2002 23:27:55 GMT, eth...@aol.comkosher (Stephen R. Marsh)
wrote:

I know your pain my lvl 83 assassin can kill some cows by herself but
i follow a barb around once he ww thru a bunch i step in drop 2-3 DS
traps and melee away i gave up on my merc he doesnt cut it well in
cows.
I wear Full Nats Set Um'ed Helm Um'ed StormShield for resists im
maxxed in hell thats my biggest worry for my characters i like to have
Maxxed resists before anything else in the game. Are you Dual Claw or
Claw & Shield, i did Claw and shield for the 75% block and my switch
is too high lvl % bartcus but i never hardly switch in cows.

my stats are

Str 209
Dex 190
Vit173 im pumping that only now
25 ene

Lvl 28 DS
lvl 14 LS
Lvl 14 WoF
Lvl 20 TS
lvl 15 PS i stopped since i really dont MA that much
Lvl 24 CM
Lvl 8 SW
Lvl 8 SM

Using full nats dual leech rings

Stephen R. Marsh

Sep 28, 2002, 9:07:53 PM9/28/02
>I know your pain my lvl 83 assassin can kill some cows by herself but
>i follow a barb around once he ww thru a bunch i step in drop 2-3 DS
>traps and melee away i gave up on my merc he doesnt cut it well in
>cows.
>I wear Full Nats Set Um'ed Helm Um'ed StormShield for resists im
>maxxed in hell thats my biggest worry for my characters i like to have
>Maxxed resists before anything else in the game. Are you Dual Claw or
>Claw & Shield, i did Claw and shield for the 75% block and my switch
>is too high lvl % bartcus but i never hardly switch in cows.

I'm dual bartucs.

Rare Circlet (though I have Nat's Helm and boots for days when I feel the need
for more resists, the Helm is Ummed).

Nat's boots

string of ears.

SOJ/Wedding Ring

One Bartucs has an eth.

Smoke Mage Plate

On the W it is a rare greater claw and the Ward unique shield.

Phoenix Strike Maxed.

Fire at 26
Death at about 14 (including +s from rings, magekiller amulet, +1 circlet).

Everything else at one (about 5-6 with the plusses from equipment -- so my
Burst of Speed maxes me out with the Bartucs).

I was thinking of trying to level up to 79 before I quit. I've got a deal
lined up to trade two SOJs for the armor and it appears I can get the claw for
another two SOJs which will complete Nat's set.

I occassionally will use mind blast. I prefer warrior to master (to avoid
those nasty cloak of shadows surprises). Mind blast often starts a few
corpses. It is just that exploding cows seem to do about 20% of their hit
points in damage -- so that it takes 5 or 6 to kill another cow and keep the
cycle going.

I've enough leech, more or less, between the wedding ring, string of ears, etc.
I probably need another eye of Etlitch (boy, that is underrated by WW barbs --
freezes the pack for a second pass, which keeps them frozen for the next, etc.
Even with a 3 second Eye, in hell cows my zon (between clegs and the eye) never
gets cow breath near her.

But leveling is hard.

>my stats are
>
>Str 209
>Dex 190
>Vit173 im pumping that only now
>25 ene
>
>Lvl 28 DS
>lvl 14 LS
>Lvl 14 WoF
>Lvl 20 TS
>lvl 15 PS i stopped since i really dont MA that much
>Lvl 24 CM
>Lvl 8 SW
>Lvl 8 SM
>
>Using full nats dual leech rings

Stephen
http://adrr.com/hero/diablo.htm
http://adrr.com/story/

Polarhound

Sep 29, 2002, 12:05:15 AM9/29/02
"Stephen R. Marsh" <eth...@aol.comkosher> wrote in message

> Man, death sentry is detuned or something. The corpse explosion in hell
> doesn't do more than wake the cows up. At level 26 or 27 the best fire
trap
> barely tickles them.
>
> My defiance merc dies in seconds. All in all, it is embarassing to be an
> assassin on a hell cows run. I am bringing the leg and the tome, so I
feel
> like I've contributed something, but ....
>
> How does any assassin make it to 79 in order to use Nat's set?

If you are a trapper, why would you want to bother with Nat's set? The
rarest items (claws) don't do a thing for trappers.. You can get better
+skills by piecing items together.

The key to successfully running hell cows with a trapper is mind blast.
When a group heads for your SM, MB the whole bunch to convert a few (my MB
is 11 with +skills,) drop 5 WOI's in the same spot to concentrate on 2-3
targets at most, MB again to reset conversion/stun locks, then only drop DS
after the first few cows die. Don't bother with more than 2 active DS at
once, it's a waste. Let the cows beat on each other. When the DS's die
out, cast fresh WOIs then DS again as needed.

MB is also great for helping out others, keeping rogue packs off their
backs.

Using the above, I can usually take out a herd of 20-30 cows at about the
same speed it would take an average WW Barb, or a zon with less than top
level gear.

Another good option is a HF merc to slow down the cows further.

0tarin

Sep 29, 2002, 12:08:28 AM9/29/02
eth...@aol.comkosher (Stephen R. Marsh) grabbed a wombat and stuffed
it full of the following hogwash:

>Man, death sentry is detuned or something. The corpse explosion in hell
>doesn't do more than wake the cows up. At level 26 or 27 the best fire trap
>barely tickles them.

The traps (other than DS) are not going to do all that well in 8
player cows, sadly. DS does contribute, but you need a good number of
corpses to get it going. Generally in cows I follow someone (ideally
a barb, pally, wolf...) and cast DS's to help keep the heat off them
and kill some stuff. If I feel so inclined, I jump in to smack things
around once in awhile :)

>My defiance merc dies in seconds. All in all, it is embarassing to be an
>assassin on a hell cows run. I am bringing the leg and the tome, so I feel
>like I've contributed something, but ....

What armor does the defiance merc have? Yours is a smoke mage plate,
as I recall... I would strongly recommend pulling a higher def plate
out for yourself. I've a spare smoke'd Scarab husk somewhere, I
believe, which should be adequate. ~700-800 def for them. The merc
takes careful management to keep alive, as once he's hit, he's doomed
unless you can get the heat off him *fast*. MB helps keep the cows
clustered for you, which means you can wear down their flanks, and the
merc can keep out of the crowd a little. He does need ample leech and
a reasonably fast/high damage weapon as well. All in all, no,
assassins don't excel in cows, imho, but they're playable there :)

>How does any assassin make it to 79 in order to use Nat's set?

Another idea would be to join full cow games and solo in the ancients'
way. You can get some great experience there, especially since all
the kills are your own.

--
0tarin
Known Wombat Stuffer,

Stephen R. Marsh

Sep 29, 2002, 12:27:02 AM9/29/02
>If you are a trapper, why would you want to bother with Nat's set? The
>rarest items (claws) don't do a thing for trappers.. You can get better
>+skills by piecing items together.

I've wondered if just replacing the Nat's claw with a Bartucs isn't a better
deal for points, but the total (armor +3 to shadow, set +3 to all assassin)
seems like it might be worth the set. If I ever make 79.

>The key to successfully running hell cows with a trapper is mind blast.

I've done that, but it sure seem slow. I think that with the +skills I have
right now my MB is either 9 or 12. It is just slow for me now. Guess I need
to get WOI up, right now it is only at 26.

I'm spoiled with my zon, she only has a shaeled kuko, but she uses clegs,
lionheart, a might merc and an Eye of Etlich (as poor as they get, minimum time
on the freeze) and with multishot and guided arrow really has a great time.

It seems mana intensive (I use one SOJ, one Wedding Ring. Guess in cows I
should use a second SOJ to go with the frostburns I wear. Sheesh, a trapper is
a rough road in hell, at least around level 70 or so. I've tried using a lot
of MB and keeping it active so my shadow uses it as well).

Stephen R. Marsh

Sep 29, 2002, 12:32:17 AM9/29/02
>I've a spare smoke'd Scarab husk somewhere, I
>believe, which should be adequate. ~700-800 def for them.

I'd love it. I'm on USEast and can move my schedule <g>

>What armor does the defiance merc have?

I believe he has spirit forge with two perfect skulls for the regen.

>He does need ample leech and
>a reasonably fast/high damage weapon as well.

He has a fairly good leech pole arm, don't remember if it is a rare or a unique
(I think it is the Battle Branch -- I'll have to look again). His helm has a
+15 max damage jewel and something else in it. He does very well in the bloody
foothills or in Pindle (I'm not sure why he can leech those creatures).

>and solo in the ancients'
>way.

At level 70 an assassin is up to that? Did not realize I could kill fast
enough to make it worthwhile.

The cow games are interesting as the barbs tend to run away from them.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions.

0tarin

Sep 29, 2002, 3:34:04 AM9/29/02
eth...@aol.comkosher (Stephen R. Marsh) grabbed a wombat and stuffed
it full of the following hogwash:

>>I've a spare smoke'd Scarab husk somewhere, I

>>believe, which should be adequate. ~700-800 def for them.
>
>I'd love it. I'm on USEast and can move my schedule <g>

Ah yes, I was wondering why I never offered before... I'm solely on
west :/ Maybe someone else who happens to play on east would have
something decent. Or, if nothing else, scavenge a few cow runs and
you should find a 2 hole elite armor soon enough. Then just nab the
runes... :)

>>He does need ample leech and
>>a reasonably fast/high damage weapon as well.
>
>He has a fairly good leech pole arm, don't remember if it is a rare or a unique
>(I think it is the Battle Branch -- I'll have to look again). His helm has a
>+15 max damage jewel and something else in it. He does very well in the bloody
>foothills or in Pindle (I'm not sure why he can leech those creatures).

Well, if you mean why he can there but not in cows, I'd say it's
because the cows have a knack for stunlocking mercs so easily. One
hit from them renders the merc pretty much doomed.

>>and solo in the ancients'
>>way.
>
>At level 70 an assassin is up to that? Did not realize I could kill fast
>enough to make it worthwhile.

Well, I suppose you'll have to figure out if you're faster in the
Ancient's area or the cows. I find that I have less trouble in the
former, because nothing there hits nearly as hard as a cow, excepting
the odd ES/EF frenzytaur.

--
0tarin
Known Wombat Stuffer,
Bearer of the badge of non-newbieness,
Officially 81.8181818181818182% Insane.
All your sanity is belong to us.

"To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone
deeply gives you courage."

Stephen R. Marsh

Sep 29, 2002, 10:06:38 AM9/29/02
>Well, I suppose you'll have to figure out if you're faster in the
>Ancient's area or the cows. I find that I have less trouble in the
>former, because nothing there hits nearly as hard as a cow, excepting
>the odd ES/EF frenzytaur.

Makes sense. In cows, with a party, it is about a level a visit through the
70s, if the party holds together (more and more the barbs all run away if there
aren't enough zons). I hadn't thought about the Way, but especially with MA
PStrike things should go fairly quick.

short

Sep 30, 2002, 8:30:22 AM9/30/02

> >How does any assassin make it to 79 in order to use Nat's set?
>
> Another idea would be to join full cow games and solo in the ancients'
> way. You can get some great experience there, especially since all
> the kills are your own.

Another way (good for lvling mercs too) is run Pindle and the Halls of Pain,
etc in full games. My Rogue merc lvled from 60 to 63 in probably 10 runs,
and that was solo. Plus, there is absolutely no danger in the Halls. The
only bosses you really find are from Evil Urns, no big bad PI's or anything.
And, you get to kill them like 3 times each :)

short

Stephen R. Marsh

Sep 30, 2002, 7:11:57 PM9/30/02
>Another way (good for lvling mercs too) is run Pindle and the Halls of Pain,
>etc in full games.

I've leveled up Mercs in Pindle a number of times. Even without anyone else in
the game, it goes well. In fact, I've posted here about why doesn't anyone use
Pindle runs for leveling (rather than the "whack Pindle and see what drops").

I had not thought about grabbing the leg, making a cow game, quick run to
Pindle and activate everything at max hit points, run away and join cows, go
back and kill them after everyone has left ...

That is a great idea.

The Halls of Pain are kind of slow though, not a enough monster density.

> My Rogue merc lvled from 60 to 63 in probably 10 runs,
>and that was solo. Plus, there is absolutely no danger in the Halls. The
>only bosses you really find are from Evil Urns, no big bad PI's or anything.
>And, you get to kill them like 3 times each :)
>
>short

short

Oct 1, 2002, 8:32:31 AM10/1/02

> >Another way (good for lvling mercs too) is run Pindle and the Halls of
Pain,
> >etc in full games.
>
> I've leveled up Mercs in Pindle a number of times. Even without anyone
else in
> the game, it goes well. In fact, I've posted here about why doesn't
anyone use
> Pindle runs for leveling (rather than the "whack Pindle and see what
drops").

> I had not thought about grabbing the leg, making a cow game, quick run to
> Pindle and activate everything at max hit points, run away and join cows,
go
> back and kill them after everyone has left ...
>
> That is a great idea.

It works, too!

> The Halls of Pain are kind of slow though, not a enough monster density.

Not for an FO/FB sorc :) Just spam down the hallway for a while, let the
merc clean up :o)

short

Polarhound

Oct 1, 2002, 6:40:11 PM10/1/02

> >If you are a trapper, why would you want to bother with Nat's set? The
> >rarest items (claws) don't do a thing for trappers.. You can get better
> >+skills by piecing items together.
>
> I've wondered if just replacing the Nat's claw with a Bartucs isn't a
better
> deal for points, but the total (armor +3 to shadow, set +3 to all
assassin)
> seems like it might be worth the set. If I ever make 79.

I use:
Lore Bone Helm (+1 skills and the LR helps a lot)
Spirit Shroud (+1 and CBF)
Bartucs (+2 all +2 MA)
Rare +2 Assassin claw
Frosties
2 SOJ
Gloom's Trap
Tearhaunch
+2 Assassin/+19life/+15res ammy)
2 Trap and 2 Shadow charms.

This gives me +12 to traps and shadow, and should I ever decide to drop a
point into some MA for fighting, +10 to MA.

Another option is to find an ammy with Confuse charges on it.. That way your
traps will still hit the affected monsters.

Siavash Behdashti

Oct 2, 2002, 12:11:19 AM10/2/02
eth...@aol.comkosher (Stephen R. Marsh) wrote in message news:<20020928192755...@mb-ba.aol.com>...

You could try leveling through passivism...er...partying? :(

Siavash

Stephen

Oct 2, 2002, 1:33:42 PM10/2/02
> > My defiance merc dies in seconds. All in all, it is embarassing to be an
> > assassin on a hell cows run. I am bringing the leg and the tome, so I feel
> > like I've contributed something, but ....
>
> You could try leveling through passivism...er...partying? :(
>
> Siavash

Ahh, you mean I should just run away and leech (like the level 24 zon
I saw last night). I hadn't thought of doing that myself, but with
cloak of shadows, the stunning skills and the ability to run really
fast I guess that is a strat that can work.

As long as someone is playing a zon in the game.

I'll have to think about that. Just leeching on a party rather than
contributing (more than opening the portal) ... I'm not sure.

short

Oct 2, 2002, 1:40:12 PM10/2/02

"Stephen" <eth...@aol.com> wrote in message

The trick is to just look useful. Doesn't matter if you're leeching or not,
as long as you *try* to contribute. My Concentrate barb can't kill very
fast at all, but he can herd and tank forever. If you can't do either of
those, you can throw traps down to keep them in check, or at least distract
them.

short

Zamboni

Oct 2, 2002, 2:48:35 PM10/2/02

"short" <sho...@zoominternet.net> wrote in message
You can always herd. Gathering the groups together and keeping them in a
tight pack until the killers get there is sometimes appreciated if done
properly. Pulling herds away from portals and bodies will also earn brownie
points, as will creating safe havens for reentering players. It's a
dangerous occupation, but it is one way for a lvl 20 character to at least
seem productive in Hell cows.

The key is not to panic. If it looks like you're going to die, just die -
don't run away and scatter the herds, and don't lead them all back to the
red portal.
--
Zamboni

short

Oct 2, 2002, 2:56:53 PM10/2/02

"Zamboni" <zam...@nospam.com> wrote in message
He's right, and I should know. I've got the dieing part down pat. I do it
all the time :o)

short

Stephen R. Marsh

Oct 2, 2002, 7:08:23 PM10/2/02
>The trick is to just look useful. Doesn't matter if you're leeching or not,
>as long as you *try* to contribute. My Concentrate barb can't kill very
>fast at all, but he can herd and tank forever. If you can't do either of
>those, you can throw traps down to keep them in check, or at least distract
>them.
>
>short

Oh, I do that, a constant stream of traps, mind blasts, herding activity to try
and pull them into a big group (without getting whacked -- I've had a number of
badly placed fences recently). I just wanted to actually *be* useful <g>.

Paul Brinkley

Oct 3, 2002, 9:45:46 AM10/3/02

Cast Shadow Master. Cast Mind Blast. Wait for a cow to die. Cast
Death Sentry. MB a few more. More dead cows. More DSes.

If any cows try to stray from the herd, Cobra Strike them a few times
to leech back mana, and then either kill them (easy lone target), or
Dragon Tail them back into the herd.

An assassin in cows plays a lot like a low-rent necro.

Paul Brinkley
la...@starpower.net