Harpy new year!

Itlandm

Jan 1, 2009, 7:13:15 PM1/1/09
For years, I have tried to get Daggerfall to run on my newer machines,
after my last Windows 98 computer died. I have tried various versions
of DOSBox after it became available, on various machines, but to no
avail. On January 1, 2009 however, with DOSBox 0.72 on a WinXP
machine, it suddenly was remarkably easy. I did not change any
settings, just mounted a folder as the C drive and the CD as the D
drive, and installed using Install from the dos prompt rather than the
fancy installer that pops up when you set in the disk. I used minimum
install, copied all the files in the Arena2 folder over to the
corresponding folder on the C drive, changed the cdpath to C instead
of D in z.cfg, and ran FALL Z.CFG from the dos prompt. Suddenly,
everything was back the way I remembered from years ago. Amazing. Now
I remember why I loved this game better than its pretty sequels.
Obviously I made a Linguist as my first character. So, Harpy new year
to all of my old friends who are still alive! May you all have as
much luck as I.

gar...@remove.me.cox.net

Jan 3, 2009, 1:15:22 AM1/3/09
And a Happy New Year to you, too!

I still watch the ole' newsgroup, but there hasn't been much activity.

Thanks for the tip!

Gary

Nyctolops

Jan 4, 2009, 12:29:18 AM1/4/09
On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 16:13:15 -0800 (PST), Itlandm <itl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Congratulations and Harpy New Year to you, too. I am lucky in that my
first machine on which I played Daggerfall is still operational. I
can get Daggerfall to work with DosBox, but sometimes it hangs up
Nyctolops

Itlandm

Feb 10, 2009, 6:13:21 AM2/10/09
On Jan 4, 6:29 am, Nyctolops <nyctol...@vla.nospam.com> wrote:

> Congratulations and Harpy New Year to you, too.  I am lucky in that my
> first machine on which I played Daggerfall is still operational.  I
> can get Daggerfall to work with DosBox, but sometimes it hangs up

I had the perfect Daggerfall machine, sturdy thing. I let my best
friend borrow it. Her father threw it away. It was old, right? But
some good came of it - my wrists have healed considerably in the later
years.
So I spent January making up with Daggerfall. Back to normal now.