Re: [JNCOBOY] EVERYONE READ!!!!

Red Dragon

Oct 5, 2008, 12:01:56 PM10/5/08
emmel wrote:
> Thus Red Dragon spoke:
>
>> Neo wrote:
>>
>> <snip>

>>> I think the napalm in them is a bit smelly. Red Dragon gets the
>>> navens better cooked and crispy.
>>>
>>> Neo
>> Perhaps, but the flavor depends heavily on what kind of toothpaste
>> I've been using.
>
> Hm... I wonder... Is there toothpaste with authentic Naven BBQ
> flavour?

It'd be like a Summer party! In my mouth! Twice a day!

Wait...

I'd have to use it on special occasions only. I'd get terribly sick of
that in a hurry.

emmel

Oct 6, 2008, 5:07:36 AM10/6/08
Thus Red Dragon spoke:

Special occasion toothpaste... The mind boggles at the possibilities.
We're gonna be rich!
--
emmel <the_emmel*you-know-what-that's-for*@gmx.net>
(Don't forget to remove the ** bit)

story archives available at http://ranira.wordpress.com

Official AGC feedback maniac

"God is playing creatures - and we're the norns."

"A hundred dead are a tragedy - a hundred thousand are statistics."

"I guess you can call yourself lucky." -
"I could, but Linda suits me a little better... :)
Things called lucky tend to get hit by trucks."

Proud owner of 1 (one) DISOBEDIENCE point.
Former owner of 1 (one) eating point (eaten, sigh).

Hi, I'm a .sig virus. Just copy me to your .signature. And don't worry.

Neo

Oct 7, 2008, 3:05:00 PM10/7/08

I have toothpaste for the special occasion that I want to brush my
teeth!

btw, I will be getting to the Aya story once the pirates are away. I
hope you are enjoying yourself emmel!

Neo
--
Everything that has a beginning has an end.

emmel

Oct 8, 2008, 4:11:21 AM10/8/08
Thus Neo spoke:

> emmel wrote:
>> Thus Red Dragon spoke:
>>

>>> I'd have to use it on special occasions only. I'd get terribly sick of
>>> that in a hurry.
>>
>> Special occasion toothpaste... The mind boggles at the possibilities.
>> We're gonna be rich!
>
> I have toothpaste for the special occasion that I want to brush my
> teeth!

Erm... Care for some breath mints?

> btw, I will be getting to the Aya story once the pirates are away. I
> hope you are enjoying yourself emmel!

But... But... That could take *ages*!

Neo

Oct 8, 2008, 8:52:41 AM10/8/08
emmel wrote:
> Thus Neo spoke:
>
>> emmel wrote:
>>> Thus Red Dragon spoke:

>>> Special occasion toothpaste... The mind boggles at the possibilities.
>>> We're gonna be rich!
>> I have toothpaste for the special occasion that I want to brush my
>> teeth!
>
> Erm... Care for some breath mints?

Then I would have to brush my teeth again!

>> btw, I will be getting to the Aya story once the pirates are away. I
>> hope you are enjoying yourself emmel!
>
> But... But... That could take *ages*!

True, I'll see what I can do this week. Unless you want to post a
proofread version yourself first!

emmel

Oct 9, 2008, 3:43:48 AM10/9/08
Thus Neo spoke:

> emmel wrote:
>> Thus Neo spoke:

>>> I have toothpaste for the special occasion that I want to brush my
>>> teeth!
>>
>> Erm... Care for some breath mints?
>
> Then I would have to brush my teeth again!

Is that a yes?

>>> btw, I will be getting to the Aya story once the pirates are away. I
>>> hope you are enjoying yourself emmel!
>>
>> But... But... That could take *ages*!
>
> True, I'll see what I can do this week. Unless you want to post a
> proofread version yourself first!

Actually, I got silly and posted it on the archive site...

Neo

Oct 9, 2008, 10:54:06 AM10/9/08
emmel wrote:
> Thus Neo spoke:
>
>> emmel wrote:
>>> Thus Neo spoke:

>>> Erm... Care for some breath mints?
>> Then I would have to brush my teeth again!
>
> Is that a yes?

Since all the pirates jumped ship and swam away from the Albian coast, I
fear I have to now. It is not even long! A magazine I subscribed to
split up in two and I had to cancel one subscription and now I have to
choose from several others! (they come with the part I like, a group of
computer users that help each other in their specialized areas).

Stupid thing is that I have the same subscriber number at both now. So
if they really want revenge on me cancelling my subscription they can
cancel my subscription in the part I want to keep too!

My homepage is part of the subscription I want to keep, but I am not
sure who I pay for it any more.

They had ADSL en dailup and the ADSL part wend to XS4All (where I am
now), but I am not sure where the dailup part went to. Maybe it is with
XS4All, maybe with the hobby group, maybe with the subscription I just
cancelled.

I like to keep my e-mail address, lots of people have it. People I
haven't heard from in a while and who I would like to keep in contact with.

Alas. Nothing I can do about it now. Just hoping for the best.

>>> But... But... That could take *ages*!
>> True, I'll see what I can do this week. Unless you want to post a
>> proofread version yourself first!
>
> Actually, I got silly and posted it on the archive site...

I have no idea how well read that archive is!

emmel

Oct 9, 2008, 11:28:54 AM10/9/08
Thus Neo spoke:

> emmel wrote:
>> Thus Neo spoke:

>>> Then I would have to brush my teeth again!
>>
>> Is that a yes?
>
> Since all the pirates jumped ship and swam away from the Albian coast, I
> fear I have to now. It is not even long! A magazine I subscribed to
> split up in two and I had to cancel one subscription and now I have to
> choose from several others! (they come with the part I like, a group of
> computer users that help each other in their specialized areas).

Should I know what you are talking about?

> Stupid thing is that I have the same subscriber number at both now. So
> if they really want revenge on me cancelling my subscription they can
> cancel my subscription in the part I want to keep too!
>
> My homepage is part of the subscription I want to keep, but I am not
> sure who I pay for it any more.
>
> They had ADSL en dailup and the ADSL part wend to XS4All (where I am
> now), but I am not sure where the dailup part went to. Maybe it is with
> XS4All, maybe with the hobby group, maybe with the subscription I just
> cancelled.
>
> I like to keep my e-mail address, lots of people have it. People I
> haven't heard from in a while and who I would like to keep in contact with.
>
> Alas. Nothing I can do about it now. Just hoping for the best.

It sounds as if you replied to the wrong post, maybe?

>>> True, I'll see what I can do this week. Unless you want to post a
>>> proofread version yourself first!
>>
>> Actually, I got silly and posted it on the archive site...
>
> I have no idea how well read that archive is!

Well, I think one or two people might have glanced at it. The posts,
that is. The whole thing got a few more hits, although it's far from
being well visited. Still, I think one or two people might actually
follow ATC though it. I'll never know for sure, though - same problem as
with lurkers around here.

Neo

Oct 10, 2008, 8:29:25 AM10/10/08

Let me say it in simpler words.

You remember my e-mail address?

That might be gone any date from now if I don't take the right steps.

There might not even be any right steps to take!

I expect your sympathy on this!!

emmel

Oct 11, 2008, 4:34:20 AM10/11/08
Thus Neo spoke:

You *do* have my sympathy, but I still think the reply just doesn't fit
the post you replied to.

Neo

Oct 11, 2008, 7:39:29 AM10/11/08

It was an excuse to put off proofreading Aya #3. I am not really good at
using excuses, which is why I usually counter any argument to get me to
do something :-)

emmel

Oct 11, 2008, 9:23:07 AM10/11/08
Thus Neo spoke:

> emmel wrote:
>> Thus Neo spoke:

>>> Let me say it in simpler words.
>>>
>>> You remember my e-mail address?
>>>
>>> That might be gone any date from now if I don't take the right steps.
>>>
>>> There might not even be any right steps to take!
>>>
>>> I expect your sympathy on this!!
>>
>> You *do* have my sympathy, but I still think the reply just doesn't fit
>> the post you replied to.
>
> It was an excuse to put off proofreading Aya #3. I am not really good at
> using excuses, which is why I usually counter any argument to get me to
> do something :-)

Ah. You *did* reply to the wrong post!

Neo

Oct 12, 2008, 3:04:57 PM10/12/08
emmel wrote:
> Thus Neo spoke:
>
>> emmel wrote:
>>> Thus Neo spoke:

>>> You *do* have my sympathy, but I still think the reply just doesn't fit
>>> the post you replied to.
>> It was an excuse to put off proofreading Aya #3. I am not really good at
>> using excuses, which is why I usually counter any argument to get me to
>> do something :-)
>
> Ah. You *did* reply to the wrong post!

Everything for the improved well-being of JNCOBOY! (Or is it a girl
actually?)

emmel

Oct 13, 2008, 6:10:40 AM10/13/08
Thus Neo spoke:

> emmel wrote:
>> Thus Neo spoke:
>>

>>> It was an excuse to put off proofreading Aya #3. I am not really good at
>>> using excuses, which is why I usually counter any argument to get me to
>>> do something :-)
>>
>> Ah. You *did* reply to the wrong post!
>
> Everything for the improved well-being of JNCOBOY! (Or is it a girl
> actually?)

I don't have a clue, but I don't think it is.

Neo

Oct 13, 2008, 9:11:54 AM10/13/08
emmel wrote:
> Thus Neo spoke:
>
>> emmel wrote:
>>> Thus Neo spoke:

>>> Ah. You *did* reply to the wrong post!
>> Everything for the improved well-being of JNCOBOY! (Or is it a girl
>> actually?)
>
> I don't have a clue, but I don't think it is.

Maybe it is a Co-Boy. Or a Cob-Oi!

emmel

Oct 15, 2008, 7:50:49 AM10/15/08
Thus Neo spoke:

> emmel wrote:
>> Thus Neo spoke:

>>> Everything for the improved well-being of JNCOBOY! (Or is it a girl
>>> actually?)
>>
>> I don't have a clue, but I don't think it is.
>
> Maybe it is a Co-Boy. Or a Cob-Oi!

Um... whatever you say...
::backs away::

Neo

Oct 17, 2008, 9:33:49 AM10/17/08
emmel wrote:
> Thus Neo spoke:
>
>> emmel wrote:
>>> Thus Neo spoke:

>>> I don't have a clue, but I don't think it is.
>> Maybe it is a Co-Boy. Or a Cob-Oi!
>
> Um... whatever you say...
> ::backs away::

Maybe it is the illegitimate son of satan and we are just keeping it
alive!

emmel

Oct 20, 2008, 7:11:03 AM10/20/08
On different notes, I hard disk committed suicide at the weekend. I can
only hope there was nothing *really* import on it - except for the stuff
that wasn't really important, but sucks to loose anyway. Not to mention
having to set up the OS; I ended up cloning my laptop's with all the
problems that brings...

emmel

Oct 20, 2008, 6:52:00 AM10/20/08
Thus Neo spoke:

Oh, come on. Since when are devil's brains vegetarian? (like naven
ones...)

Red Dragon

Oct 20, 2008, 11:23:28 AM10/20/08
emmel wrote:
> On different notes, I hard disk committed suicide at the weekend. I can
> only hope there was nothing *really* import on it - except for the stuff
> that wasn't really important, but sucks to loose anyway. Not to mention
> having to set up the OS; I ended up cloning my laptop's with all the
> problems that brings...

Oh no! That's always a gigantic pain. What happened to it exactly? And
did you have a spare?

And yeah. Let's hope nothing too important was lost.

Neo

Oct 21, 2008, 4:18:14 AM10/21/08
emmel wrote:
> Thus Neo spoke:
>
>> emmel wrote:
>>> Thus Neo spoke:

>>> Um... whatever you say...
>>> ::backs away::
>> Maybe it is the illegitimate son of satan and we are just keeping it
>> alive!
>
> Oh, come on. Since when are devil's brains vegetarian? (like naven
> ones...)

It feeds on the fears of the innocent?

emmel

Oct 21, 2008, 4:12:24 AM10/21/08
On 2008-10-20, Red Dragon <agcl...@lurkerson.net> wrote:
> emmel wrote:
>> On different notes, I hard disk committed suicide at the weekend. I can
>> only hope there was nothing *really* import on it - except for the stuff
>> that wasn't really important, but sucks to loose anyway. Not to mention
>> having to set up the OS; I ended up cloning my laptop's with all the
>> problems that brings...
>
> Oh no! That's always a gigantic pain. What happened to it exactly? And
> did you have a spare?

It started with plenty of error messages on bootup, severely slowing it
down. I tried fixing the file system, but to no avail... then it stopped
working at all. With plenty of time I can see parts of the OS partition,
but not even that for the data one. I fortunately still had a (half the
size) old hard disk in, that I use for experimenting (alternate OSs or
whatever else), so I at least got the machine into working condition
again. Didn't work properly until I disconnected the other HD, though...

> And yeah. Let's hope nothing too important was lost.

Problem is, I don't really know what was on it. At least not in detail.
I guess I'll just find myself missing some old data some time in the
future that doesn't seem to exist anymore.

On different notes: 42 unread messages today... Does that mean anything?

--
emmel <the_emmel*you-know-what-that's-for*@gmx.net>
(Don't forget to remove the ** bit)

story backlogs available at http://ranira.wordpress.com

Neo

Oct 21, 2008, 4:33:44 AM10/21/08

I set up a computer yesterday to show a Windows 95 game to my girlfriend
(Starcontrol 3, she liked the puppets though she lacks the grasp of the
English language to avoid a fight with them). It is a very old case I
got for free some someone. 64 MB, really too few to run a modern day
anti-virus solution on it.

Anyways, I had some crashes because of the mobo I think (very cheap
design) and one error message made me run Seatools on it. It said the
harddisk temperature was 53 degrees Celsius and the max temperature was
no less than 62 degrees Celsius! (in the summer I presume). So I opened
up the case, and it was indeed very hot in there. Problem is that there
is no extra rear fan in the case and no space to fit one. And in the
side panels of the case there are no ventilation holes either, so the
case just heats up with prolonged use.

Nothing I can do about that except take the side off or put it in a new
case (which would be a shame because the mobo is crap).

On a related note, since this is JNCOBOY, I used the same Seatools on
another computer I have and it said "This drive is Security Freeze
Locked". That had me a bit worried because the computer came from a
business setup, but it had always worked fine (except that when I got it
the only case fan present wasn't moving, hence the reason for me being
enthusiastic at first about it being so silent). So I fired up google to
find out what that meant.

Well, it turns out Seagate added encryption to their HDs because MS
needed that for it's XBOX (which is totally broken btw in terms of DRM).
Problem was, if you don't use the encryption, malware can set your
encryption to a random passphrase thus making your HD inaccessible at
the next reboot! That is what "This drive is Security Freeze Locked it
for". To prevent malware from doing that.

It is an option in your BIOS though, so you might still be out of luck
if you use the same HD in another machine. Talk about ransomware!

Neo

Oct 21, 2008, 4:42:01 AM10/21/08
emmel wrote:
> On 2008-10-20, Red Dragon <agcl...@lurkerson.net> wrote:
>> emmel wrote:
>>> On different notes, I hard disk committed suicide at the weekend. I can
>>> only hope there was nothing *really* import on it - except for the stuff
>>> that wasn't really important, but sucks to loose anyway. Not to mention
>>> having to set up the OS; I ended up cloning my laptop's with all the
>>> problems that brings...
>> Oh no! That's always a gigantic pain. What happened to it exactly? And
>> did you have a spare?
>
> It started with plenty of error messages on bootup, severely slowing it
> down. I tried fixing the file system, but to no avail... then it stopped
> working at all. With plenty of time I can see parts of the OS partition,
> but not even that for the data one. I fortunately still had a (half the
> size) old hard disk in, that I use for experimenting (alternate OSs or
> whatever else), so I at least got the machine into working condition
> again. Didn't work properly until I disconnected the other HD, though...

Maybe the electronics of one of your hard drives is fried. Just
guessing! Are they on the same IDE cable? Is one set as master and the
other one as slave? (you can use jumpers to do this).

>> And yeah. Let's hope nothing too important was lost.
>
> Problem is, I don't really know what was on it. At least not in detail.
> I guess I'll just find myself missing some old data some time in the
> future that doesn't seem to exist anymore.

I heard you can put USB sticks that stopped working in a vacuum bag in
the freezer. Maybe that will work for your HD too. As a last resort I
might add, condensation on the platters might ruin it for good.

Maybe it is best to run a low level tool from the manufacturer first.
You can download an iso for that (probably).

> On different notes: 42 unread messages today... Does that mean anything?

That probably means the pirates from aglami are getting all excited over
something again ;-D

Neo

Oct 21, 2008, 6:46:17 AM10/21/08
emmel wrote:

> On 2008-10-21, Neo <wh...@thematrix.is> wrote:
>> emmel wrote:
>>> It started with plenty of error messages on bootup, severely slowing it
>>> down. I tried fixing the file system, but to no avail... then it stopped
>>> working at all. With plenty of time I can see parts of the OS partition,
>>> but not even that for the data one. I fortunately still had a (half the
>>> size) old hard disk in, that I use for experimenting (alternate OSs or
>>> whatever else), so I at least got the machine into working condition
>>> again. Didn't work properly until I disconnected the other HD, though...
>> Maybe the electronics of one of your hard drives is fried. Just
>> guessing! Are they on the same IDE cable? Is one set as master and the
>> other one as slave? (you can use jumpers to do this).
>
> Yeah, that's the setup. My guess is that it's indeed the interface
> electronics, but of course that doesn't help me one bit.

Just write "Kaput" on your drive and keep it for future reference when
you miss something terribly important (like your GPG key).

>>> Problem is, I don't really know what was on it. At least not in detail.
>>> I guess I'll just find myself missing some old data some time in the
>>> future that doesn't seem to exist anymore.
>> I heard you can put USB sticks that stopped working in a vacuum bag in
>> the freezer. Maybe that will work for your HD too. As a last resort I
>> might add, condensation on the platters might ruin it for good.
>

> As I said, it's likely the control electronics. Condensation shouldn't
> be a problem since the platters are packed air tight, but even so I
> don't see myself putting the hard drive into the freezer. I think it's
> gone for good, and even so I don't have the necessary capacities to make
> a backup if it ought to work.

There is the vent hole in harddisks. Next to the sticker that says "Do
Not Cover This Hole"

>> Maybe it is best to run a low level tool from the manufacturer first.
>> You can download an iso for that (probably).
>>
>>> On different notes: 42 unread messages today... Does that mean anything?
>> That probably means the pirates from aglami are getting all excited over
>> something again ;-D
>

> Yeah, sounds likely.

They are easily exited.

Neo

Oct 21, 2008, 6:52:50 AM10/21/08
emmel wrote:
> On 2008-10-21, Neo <wh...@thematrix.is> wrote:
>> Red Dragon wrote:
>>> Oh no! That's always a gigantic pain. What happened to it exactly? And
>>> did you have a spare?
>>>
>>> And yeah. Let's hope nothing too important was lost.
>> I set up a computer yesterday to show a Windows 95 game to my girlfriend
>> (Starcontrol 3, she liked the puppets though she lacks the grasp of the
>> English language to avoid a fight with them). It is a very old case I
>> got for free some someone. 64 MB, really too few to run a modern day
>> anti-virus solution on it.
>
> Linux & Wine...

Starcontrol 3 doesn't run natively on Linux ;-)
Starcontrol 2 does though! It is a novel /and/ a game!

>> Anyways, I had some crashes because of the mobo I think (very cheap
>> design) and one error message made me run Seatools on it. It said the
>> harddisk temperature was 53 degrees Celsius and the max temperature was
>> no less than 62 degrees Celsius! (in the summer I presume). So I opened
>> up the case, and it was indeed very hot in there. Problem is that there
>> is no extra rear fan in the case and no space to fit one. And in the
>> side panels of the case there are no ventilation holes either, so the
>> case just heats up with prolonged use.
>

> Mine is reasonably well vented and besides, it's not even that hot
> anymore. I used to run it with over thirty degrees Celsius room
> temperature... The only problem is that it sits pretty much above the
> other hard driver, but that shouldn't really be critical. Probably ages
> capacitators or something - that's what killed my old main board (or
> rather the AGP).

That would be your problem. If you stack two HDs on top of each other in
your floppy drive bays, the top one will get very hot. And the lower one
won't be able to get rid of the heat it generates.

Lots of air above and below your HD is best. You have cheap kits to
modify a 5 1/4" bay to a 3 1/2" one.

>> Nothing I can do about that except take the side off or put it in a new
>> case (which would be a shame because the mobo is crap).
>

> Or leave the case open. It helps.

Not if you have cats (which I don't btw).

>> On a related note, since this is JNCOBOY, I used the same Seatools on
>> another computer I have and it said "This drive is Security Freeze
>> Locked". That had me a bit worried because the computer came from a
>> business setup, but it had always worked fine (except that when I got it
>> the only case fan present wasn't moving, hence the reason for me being
>> enthusiastic at first about it being so silent). So I fired up google to
>> find out what that meant.
>>
>> Well, it turns out Seagate added encryption to their HDs because MS
>> needed that for it's XBOX (which is totally broken btw in terms of DRM).
>> Problem was, if you don't use the encryption, malware can set your
>> encryption to a random passphrase thus making your HD inaccessible at
>> the next reboot! That is what "This drive is Security Freeze Locked it
>> for". To prevent malware from doing that.
>

> Interesting way of telling you that.

Yeah, I thought the drive only worked in that computer! Not that it was
a big drive, but still.

>> It is an option in your BIOS though, so you might still be out of luck
>> if you use the same HD in another machine. Talk about ransomware!
>

> Oh yeah. On a sidenote, software encryption works fine for me. Might
> decrease the performance a bit, but not noticeably so.

OTFE works great I hear.

Neo

Oct 21, 2008, 6:55:38 AM10/21/08
emmel wrote:
> On 2008-10-21, Neo <wh...@thematrix.is> wrote:
> Navens? Devils? Brains?

Navens aren't innocent!

emmel

Oct 21, 2008, 7:01:55 AM10/21/08

I meant 'it'.

--
emmel <the_emmel*you-know-what-that's-for*@gmx.net>
(Don't forget to remove the ** bit)

story backlogs available at http://ranira.wordpress.com

emmel

Oct 21, 2008, 6:57:43 AM10/21/08
On 2008-10-21, Neo <wh...@thematrix.is> wrote:
> emmel wrote:

>>> I set up a computer yesterday to show a Windows 95 game to my girlfriend
>>> (Starcontrol 3, she liked the puppets though she lacks the grasp of the
>>> English language to avoid a fight with them). It is a very old case I
>>> got for free some someone. 64 MB, really too few to run a modern day
>>> anti-virus solution on it.
>>
>> Linux & Wine...
>
> Starcontrol 3 doesn't run natively on Linux ;-)

Hence Wine.

> Starcontrol 2 does though! It is a novel /and/ a game!

Someone actually novellised it?!

>>> Anyways, I had some crashes because of the mobo I think (very cheap
>>> design) and one error message made me run Seatools on it. It said the
>>> harddisk temperature was 53 degrees Celsius and the max temperature was
>>> no less than 62 degrees Celsius! (in the summer I presume). So I opened
>>> up the case, and it was indeed very hot in there. Problem is that there
>>> is no extra rear fan in the case and no space to fit one. And in the
>>> side panels of the case there are no ventilation holes either, so the
>>> case just heats up with prolonged use.
>>
>> Mine is reasonably well vented and besides, it's not even that hot
>> anymore. I used to run it with over thirty degrees Celsius room
>> temperature... The only problem is that it sits pretty much above the
>> other hard driver, but that shouldn't really be critical. Probably ages
>> capacitators or something - that's what killed my old main board (or
>> rather the AGP).
>
> That would be your problem. If you stack two HDs on top of each other in
> your floppy drive bays, the top one will get very hot. And the lower one
> won't be able to get rid of the heat it generates.
>
> Lots of air above and below your HD is best. You have cheap kits to
> modify a 5 1/4" bay to a 3 1/2" one.

The drive in question was in a 5¼" bay. And above the other one. Which
had a full empty 5¼" bay above it (with a missing slot at the front).

>>> Nothing I can do about that except take the side off or put it in a new
>>> case (which would be a shame because the mobo is crap).
>>
>> Or leave the case open. It helps.
>
> Not if you have cats (which I don't btw).

So do it.

>>> It is an option in your BIOS though, so you might still be out of luck
>>> if you use the same HD in another machine. Talk about ransomware!
>>
>> Oh yeah. On a sidenote, software encryption works fine for me. Might
>> decrease the performance a bit, but not noticeably so.
>
> OTFE works great I hear.

OTFE? I know, I could look it up, but I'm too lazy right now.

--
emmel <the_emmel*you-know-what-that's-for*@gmx.net>
(Don't forget to remove the ** bit)

story backlogs available at http://ranira.wordpress.com

emmel

Oct 21, 2008, 7:00:26 AM10/21/08

It's 'kaputt', actually. And how would that help me anyway? I won't be
able to retrieve anything from a broken drive even if I keep it.
Besides, I ought to have plenty of backups of my PGP key. (Yes, it *is*
an actual PGP key; it's that old.)

>>> I heard you can put USB sticks that stopped working in a vacuum bag in
>>> the freezer. Maybe that will work for your HD too. As a last resort I
>>> might add, condensation on the platters might ruin it for good.
>>
>> As I said, it's likely the control electronics. Condensation shouldn't
>> be a problem since the platters are packed air tight, but even so I
>> don't see myself putting the hard drive into the freezer. I think it's
>> gone for good, and even so I don't have the necessary capacities to make
>> a backup if it ought to work.
>
> There is the vent hole in harddisks. Next to the sticker that says "Do
> Not Cover This Hole"

Not on this one. Not that I know of.

>>> Maybe it is best to run a low level tool from the manufacturer first.
>>> You can download an iso for that (probably).

>>> That probably means the pirates from aglami are getting all excited over
>>> something again ;-D
>>
>> Yeah, sounds likely.
>
> They are easily exited.

Like electrons in a electric field.

emmel

Oct 21, 2008, 5:59:57 AM10/21/08
On 2008-10-21, Neo <wh...@thematrix.is> wrote:
> emmel wrote:
>>> Oh no! That's always a gigantic pain. What happened to it exactly? And
>>> did you have a spare?
>>
>> It started with plenty of error messages on bootup, severely slowing it
>> down. I tried fixing the file system, but to no avail... then it stopped
>> working at all. With plenty of time I can see parts of the OS partition,
>> but not even that for the data one. I fortunately still had a (half the
>> size) old hard disk in, that I use for experimenting (alternate OSs or
>> whatever else), so I at least got the machine into working condition
>> again. Didn't work properly until I disconnected the other HD, though...
>
> Maybe the electronics of one of your hard drives is fried. Just
> guessing! Are they on the same IDE cable? Is one set as master and the
> other one as slave? (you can use jumpers to do this).

Yeah, that's the setup. My guess is that it's indeed the interface

electronics, but of course that doesn't help me one bit.

>>> And yeah. Let's hope nothing too important was lost.

>> Problem is, I don't really know what was on it. At least not in detail.
>> I guess I'll just find myself missing some old data some time in the
>> future that doesn't seem to exist anymore.
>
> I heard you can put USB sticks that stopped working in a vacuum bag in
> the freezer. Maybe that will work for your HD too. As a last resort I
> might add, condensation on the platters might ruin it for good.

As I said, it's likely the control electronics. Condensation shouldn't

be a problem since the platters are packed air tight, but even so I
don't see myself putting the hard drive into the freezer. I think it's
gone for good, and even so I don't have the necessary capacities to make
a backup if it ought to work.

> Maybe it is best to run a low level tool from the manufacturer first.

> You can download an iso for that (probably).
>
>> On different notes: 42 unread messages today... Does that mean anything?
>
> That probably means the pirates from aglami are getting all excited over
> something again ;-D

Yeah, sounds likely.

emmel

Oct 21, 2008, 6:06:22 AM10/21/08
On 2008-10-21, Neo <wh...@thematrix.is> wrote:
> Red Dragon wrote:
>> emmel wrote:
>>> On different notes, I hard disk committed suicide at the weekend. I can
>>> only hope there was nothing *really* import on it - except for the stuff
>>> that wasn't really important, but sucks to loose anyway. Not to mention
>>> having to set up the OS; I ended up cloning my laptop's with all the
>>> problems that brings...
>>
>> Oh no! That's always a gigantic pain. What happened to it exactly? And
>> did you have a spare?
>>
>> And yeah. Let's hope nothing too important was lost.
>
> I set up a computer yesterday to show a Windows 95 game to my girlfriend
> (Starcontrol 3, she liked the puppets though she lacks the grasp of the
> English language to avoid a fight with them). It is a very old case I
> got for free some someone. 64 MB, really too few to run a modern day
> anti-virus solution on it.

Linux & Wine...

> Anyways, I had some crashes because of the mobo I think (very cheap
> design) and one error message made me run Seatools on it. It said the
> harddisk temperature was 53 degrees Celsius and the max temperature was
> no less than 62 degrees Celsius! (in the summer I presume). So I opened
> up the case, and it was indeed very hot in there. Problem is that there
> is no extra rear fan in the case and no space to fit one. And in the
> side panels of the case there are no ventilation holes either, so the
> case just heats up with prolonged use.

Mine is reasonably well vented and besides, it's not even that hot

anymore. I used to run it with over thirty degrees Celsius room
temperature... The only problem is that it sits pretty much above the
other hard driver, but that shouldn't really be critical. Probably ages
capacitators or something - that's what killed my old main board (or
rather the AGP).

> Nothing I can do about that except take the side off or put it in a new

> case (which would be a shame because the mobo is crap).

Or leave the case open. It helps.

> On a related note, since this is JNCOBOY, I used the same Seatools on

> another computer I have and it said "This drive is Security Freeze
> Locked". That had me a bit worried because the computer came from a
> business setup, but it had always worked fine (except that when I got it
> the only case fan present wasn't moving, hence the reason for me being
> enthusiastic at first about it being so silent). So I fired up google to
> find out what that meant.
>
> Well, it turns out Seagate added encryption to their HDs because MS
> needed that for it's XBOX (which is totally broken btw in terms of DRM).
> Problem was, if you don't use the encryption, malware can set your
> encryption to a random passphrase thus making your HD inaccessible at
> the next reboot! That is what "This drive is Security Freeze Locked it
> for". To prevent malware from doing that.

Interesting way of telling you that.

> It is an option in your BIOS though, so you might still be out of luck
> if you use the same HD in another machine. Talk about ransomware!

Oh yeah. On a sidenote, software encryption works fine for me. Might

decrease the performance a bit, but not noticeably so.

--
emmel <the_emmel*you-know-what-that's-for*@gmx.net>
(Don't forget to remove the ** bit)

story backlogs available at http://ranira.wordpress.com