[story] The Incredible Norn

Mike Davisson

Apr 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/13/98

Bill had, so far, lived a normal life for a creature of his kind, known as
the norns of Albia. He was one of the few norns who had a mohawk and pale
blue eyes, though neither he nor the other norns cared much about looks.
What he liked doing more than anything was to use the teleportation
devices, especially the one that carried him to and from a carrot vending
machine, which was otherwise unreachable in Albia. Few norns ever went
there, so it was a nice place to relax, eat a few carrots, or take a nap
without fear of being bothered.
Feeling quite hungry one day, he went through the entrance teleporter to
the carrot machine. He re-materialized feeling quite normal, not knowing
that the teleporter had malfunctioned that particular time, exposing him to
a large quantity of gamma radiation.
Bill used the carrot dispenser until he was full, and settled down for a
quick nap. He then went back through the teleporter (which functioned
normally this time) and ventured over to the music room, another one of his
favorite places. The trumpet was nowhere to be found, so he contented
himself to playing the drums.
Then Bruce came down the elevator to join him. Now Bruce was known to
have quite a nasty disposition, often hitting other norns for no apparent
reason. This was exactly the mood he was in then, so he went right up to
Bill and started slapping him repeatedly. "Stop norn," Bruce said, in the
norns' simplified language.
Bill had always been a gentle sort, always preferring to run from
aggressors rather than fight. But this time, only a wall was behind him.
Bruce hit him again. "Stop" said Bill. Bruce hit again. "Stop!" Bill
repeated.
Bruce continued hitting, laughing and genuinely enjoying it all the while.
Bill didn't like it. "Bill angry!" he said. Bruce ignored it, and
slapped him again. "Bill angry!"
Bill's eyes started to change from blue to a deep red. Bruce hit him once
more. Bill's suddenly hit the ground and started having convulsions. His
skin turned green, his arms and legs grew claws, and a ferocious set of
fangs formed from his teeth. He was no longer a norn, but had become the
evolutionary throwback known as a grendel.
Bruce stared at him. "Grah!" said Bill, all his peacefulness gone. He
went towards Bruce and hit him, again and again. Bruce dared not to hit
back, and tried to get back to the elevator.
"Narg!" Bill hit Bruce repeatedly, until he stopped moving. Bill then
went up the elevator and wandered off.
Bruce got up after a time, badly, though not irreversably, injured. He
found a piece of cheese, ate it, and went to sleep.
Bill had apparently fallen asleep as well. He woke up, his body back to
normal, not remembering what had happened. After wandering aimlessly for
awhile, he found Bruce, who immediately said "Run!" and scurried away.
In his own simplified way, Bill realized that he had done something to
Bruce, something to make him afraid. It must have been in response to
Bruce's aggresiveness; he must have made Bill very angry, or scared. Bill
was always so peaceful, so gentle. He knew that normally he would have
just let someone pummel him to death, rather than fight back. This is what
his genetics dictated. But somehow, the beast within had been revealed.
Bill knew that he must try not to ever again become angry, or frightened,
for this was when his horrible transformation took place. Somewhere in
Albia, the had to be an answer, a reason, a solution to his problem. And
he knew he must spend every waking moment trying to find it.

lis_m...@msn.com

Apr 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/13/98

In article <01bd667e$98d74880$f68c...@inlink.com>,
"Mike Davisson" <mi...@inlink.com> wrote:

<snippety snip>
Kewl story! Will there be a sequel??? Btw I also liked the negie stories you
sent me- very funny! Well thought out too...
Lis

JESUEXMAS

Apr 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/13/98

Good Story:)
Jessie Mother Hand
of
Ma G

E-mail requests for previouse parts.
Recipes not available

Previous Ma G's saga parts can be found at the following site:
http://members.aol.com/DEMO101/Albia.html

Mike Davisson

Apr 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/13/98

Thanks! I just thought "Hm. . . The grendels are green. . ." and that
gave me the idea.

JESUEXMAS <jesu...@aol.com> wrote in article
<199804130649...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

slink

Apr 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/13/98

On 13 Apr 1998 11:31:51 GMT, "Mike Davisson" <mi...@inlink.com> wrote:

>Thanks! I just thought "Hm. . . The grendels are green. . ." and that
>gave me the idea.

Kind of like The Hulk? :)

--
Sandra -> http://www.netins.net/showcase/slink/
GEEK CODE Version 3.12: GS>AT !d(++)@ s:+ a+ C+++($) !U(C/H$) P(+)@

Mike Davisson

Apr 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/13/98

Thanks! There might be, but I'll have to think of something. I don't
really have anything in mind for a sequel.

I think I like the genie the best, so I'll probably be doing another one of
those sooner or later.

lis_m...@msn.com wrote in article <6gse90$ti9$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

sirghoul

Apr 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/22/98

Excellent beginning for this saga. Obviously, there is much more to go, and I look forward to
reading it!!

Sir Ghoul.

sirghoul

Apr 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/22/98

Need a favor. I had a crash a week or 2 back, and lost ALL the stories I had saved in my newsgroup
file.

AAAUUUGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

A plea to the newsgroup!! Anyone who has put up a story, I've had nearly all of them saved.......

Until last week!!!

PLEEEEEAAAAASSEEEE!!!!!!! If you put up a Norn/Grendel story, would you E-Mail me a copy of it???
I have almost NOTHING left!!!!!

About all I managed to save were mine, and the MaG. Stories.

Sir Ghoul.