USENet Lesson's for AGC Folk's by Dillon

Alize

Feb 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/7/99
USENet Lesson's

Q. What does alt stand for?
A. Anarchists Lunatics &Terrorists

Q. What does that mean for USENet users?
A. That means we get to do whatever the heck we want.

Q. Including creating your own newsgroup?
A. Sure does! In fact a lot of people create a lot of newsgroups everyday.
You see there are a few people on a group called alt.config called "Gods".
And they help a lot of people create newsgroups. Here is what one God
(Eugene A. Calame Austin, Texas USA) has to say about creating your own
moderated newsgroup:

<begin quote>
An Overview:

NO ONE can keep you from creating an alt. newsgroup.
NO ONE can make a Internet Service Provider (ISP) put your group on their
Usenet news server.
NO ONE can effectively remove your group, except the Internet service
provider, and then only from his server. Most servers automatically reject
rmgroup messages.
<end quote>

Q. Wow thats great! But do some people take advantage of this freedom?
A. Sometimes, but USENet is all about freedom. Here is an example of some
groups available on usenet. Lets do a search...hmmm....on say President
Clinton. Here's some of the more interesting results:

alt.sex.clinton
alt.president.clinton.penis.intern
alt.sex.clinton.chelsa

Q. Hmm. That is kinda strange.
A. Yeah, in fact when you think about it, whats the big deal about
alt.games.creatures.moderated when we have groups like the above hanging all
over the internet? Fact is, if you don't like it dont go there.

Q. Yes but shouldn't you have consulted the people on AGC before proposing
AGCM on alt.config?
A. In alt.config another "situation" similar to the one on AGC, is being
discussed. Some were upset because someone made a group that would split a
newsgroup community. So alt.tv.x-files.smutcakes was created, this would
split the group, alt.tv.x-files.creative so that "mature" posts would reside
on the new group. However, NO you don't need to get permission from anyone,
here is a reply from the USENet "Eugene Calame" God pertaining to the above
situation:

>Alt.tv.x-files.smutcakes was evidently proposed and
>had a control message sent. However no discussion>in any x-files ng was
held.

NO discussion in alt.tv.x-files is/was required.

>Many disapprove of the creation of this newsgroup and would like to
>argue against it.Argue away. Please keep it confined to alt.tv.x-files and
>alt.tv.x-files.smutcakes.

Keep in mind you will only be helping propagate the group by drawing
attention
to it. Traffic is what makes a newsgroup successful.

>What are the procedures and options?

You could send a control.rmgroup which would be an exercise of futility.
Don't subscribe to the group and it will not appear on your computer. The
only
thing you have total control over.

Regards,

Eugene A. Calame cal...@angelfire.com
Austin, Texas USA http://www.angelfire.com/tx/calame/

Q. So whats a rmgroup?
A. A rmgroup is a control message that someone sends to their ISP to remove
a group that they do not find appropriate. Here is another quote from
another USENet God Mr. Tolver(in fact he is one of the Gods who created a
lot of the alt.games groups):

<begin quote>
once a newgroup post is sent, the group is made. any rmgroup posts dont do
anything useful, they lack the power to actually destroy a group. the only
reason to take the time to send a rmgroup post is to just show that you are
an
asshole and wish to disrupt the usenet. no group can ever be destroyed, and
enough servers carry all newgroup posts while also ignoring rmgroup posts
that
you can always find a server that carries whatever group you are interested
in.

rmgroup posts are just a too late negative vote. too bad, if you are sending
rmgroup post it is because you spend too much time on usenet and have no
life of
your own, and you are probably just pissed that you didn't get to send the
newgroup post yourself.

if wasted bandwidth pisses you off, go pick up trash from the side of the
highway, you will get more gratitude that way.
<end quote>

Q. So whats the problem with the fifteen people on AGC who oppose the
creation of AGCM?
A. Good question! I'll answer that in my next post "Why we need AGCM."

Miff

Feb 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/7/99
And noone can force us to use it.

Miff

MadFish387

Feb 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/7/99
>And noone can force us to use it.

I doubt-

a) anyone who voiced opposition would get message passed 'the totally unbiased'
moderators of which few have been heard from here

b) Any of the opponents would want to

Madfish - Hater of all that is Mind(less)sc(r)ape

We are all lifers with only one way out

Murphy was right, O'Tool more so

ACWP- http://member.aol.com/madfish387/index.html
ICQ 19001858
AIM- madfish387
Furcadia- Roy
E-mail- madfi...@aol.com

Das

Feb 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/7/99
"Alize" <dho...@prodigy.net> wrote:

<snip>

ok then, so make it. I can almost gurantee it will fail. Operators
no one knows, and are developing a stark disliking too, most of the
knowledgable community existing in the other newsgroup, but not agcm.
What would the purpose of agcm be? agc already answers questions
(most of the time), and posts major (or even minor) Creatures
announcements, but agcm, without the support of MANY webmasters and
others, and questions already answered, what would be the point?

Hope you and Dillion and the other 3 have fun, we may only have about
20 people against it, but there are only around a half-dozen for it,
only 2 that've actually made appearances.

Das's sig currently AWOL in memory of Ping.

Leticia

Feb 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/7/99
On Sun, 7 Feb 1999 03:19:58 -0800, "Alize" <dho...@prodigy.net>
wrote:

>USENet Lesson's
>
>Q. What does alt stand for?
>A. Anarchists Lunatics &Terrorists

alt is short for ALTERNATE, as you no doubt knew already.

>Q. What does that mean for USENet users?
>A. That means we get to do whatever the heck we want.

Exactly. Which means there is no way for an "elite" to control agc.

>Q. Including creating your own newsgroup?
>A. Sure does! In fact a lot of people create a lot of newsgroups everyday.
>You see there are a few people on a group called alt.config called "Gods".
>And they help a lot of people create newsgroups. Here is what one God
>(Eugene A. Calame Austin, Texas USA) has to say about creating your own
>moderated newsgroup:
>
><begin quote>
>An Overview:
>
>NO ONE can keep you from creating an alt. newsgroup.
>NO ONE can make a Internet Service Provider (ISP) put your group on their
>Usenet news server.
>NO ONE can effectively remove your group, except the Internet service
>provider, and then only from his server. Most servers automatically reject
>rmgroup messages.
><end quote>
>
>Q. Wow thats great! But do some people take advantage of this freedom?
>A. Sometimes, but USENet is all about freedom. Here is an example of some
>groups available on usenet. Lets do a search...hmmm....on say President
>Clinton. Here's some of the more interesting results:
>

>alt.***.clinton
>alt.president.clinton.*****.intern
>alt.***.clinton.chelsa
Ok, let us ALL remember the age of many agc users.

>Q. Hmm. That is kinda strange.
>A. Yeah, in fact when you think about it, whats the big deal about
>alt.games.creatures.moderated when we have groups like the above hanging all
>over the internet? Fact is, if you don't like it dont go there.

The fact that it's a waste of space, just like the afore mentioned
groups.

Of COURSE you make a newsgroup without consulting anyone. You don't
even need to post a proposal in alt.config.
All you need to do is send out a control message. If, however, you
want people to visit and (most important) ISPs to carry it, you have
to convince them it's worth it. The question is: "Is there a demand?
Will there be a population?"
If there is already a successful community which has no intention of
using your new access, there likely is little or no demand. But you
can still send out a control message, and some ISPs will still carry
it. Mine won't, and not through any connivance of mine.

>Q. So whats a rmgroup?
>A. A rmgroup is a control message that someone sends to their ISP to remove
>a group that they do not find appropriate. Here is another quote from
>another USENet God Mr. Tolver(in fact he is one of the Gods who created a
>lot of the alt.games groups):

God? Come on, he doesn't control newsgroups any more than you do. Or
I do. He's just respected and knows a lot. Also, a person could send
a rmgroup message because a group they had created was empty - an
ineffective option you may want to consider.

><begin quote>
>once a newgroup post is sent, the group is made. any rmgroup posts dont do
>anything useful, they lack the power to actually destroy a group. the only
>reason to take the time to send a rmgroup post is to just show that you are
>an

>******* and wish to disrupt the usenet. no group can ever be destroyed, and

>enough servers carry all newgroup posts while also ignoring rmgroup posts
>that
>you can always find a server that carries whatever group you are interested
>in.
>
>rmgroup posts are just a too late negative vote. too bad, if you are sending
>rmgroup post it is because you spend too much time on usenet and have no
>life of

>your own, and you are probably just ****** that you didn't get to send the
>newgroup post yourself.
>
>if wasted bandwidth ****** you off, go pick up trash from the side of the

>highway, you will get more gratitude that way.
><end quote>

Again, bad language in a decidely underage newsgroup.
I don't think anyone here is going to waste their time sending rmgroup
messages, anyhow. Most people who even know such things exist also
know that they are ineffective.

>Q. So whats the problem with the fifteen people on AGC who oppose the
>creation of AGCM?
>A. Good question! I'll answer that in my next post "Why we need AGCM."

Fifteen? Count again. Don't waste our time in this newsgroup with
your posts. Post in AGCM, since you can. That way, people who care
can read it.

Shaun

Feb 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/7/99
Yes your free to do it; no I and others dont have to participate.
Mean time discusion isnt required so WHY bother us then
GO start moderating your new newsgroup just dont expect a flood of people
or be surprised when someone gets censored that people start leaving.

--
-HACKABIT
Registered user of Ultraedit32
45 day trials at www.ultaedit.com
register for the best support/show of appreciation
Thanks go to Ian D. Mead

xOtix

Feb 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/7/99
You forgot to put [OT] in your subject line so that those of us
who aren't interested or value our time better can filter this
out...

Alize wrote in message
<79jsuk$3p44$1...@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>...

>USENet Lesson's
>
>Q. What does alt stand for?
>A. Anarchists Lunatics &Terrorists
>

>Q. What does that mean for USENet users?
>A. That means we get to do whatever the heck we want.
>

>alt.sex.clinton
>alt.president.clinton.penis.intern
>alt.sex.clinton.chelsa

>Q. Hmm. That is kinda strange.
>A. Yeah, in fact when you think about it, whats the big deal
about
>alt.games.creatures.moderated when we have groups like the
above hanging all
>over the internet? Fact is, if you don't like it dont go there.
>

>Q. So whats a rmgroup?
>A. A rmgroup is a control message that someone sends to their
ISP to remove
>a group that they do not find appropriate. Here is another
quote from
>another USENet God Mr. Tolver(in fact he is one of the Gods who
created a
>lot of the alt.games groups):
>

><begin quote>
>once a newgroup post is sent, the group is made. any rmgroup
posts dont do
>anything useful, they lack the power to actually destroy a
group. the only
>reason to take the time to send a rmgroup post is to just show
that you are
>an

>asshole and wish to disrupt the usenet. no group can ever be

destroyed, and
>enough servers carry all newgroup posts while also ignoring
rmgroup posts
>that
>you can always find a server that carries whatever group you
are interested
>in.
>
>rmgroup posts are just a too late negative vote. too bad, if
you are sending
>rmgroup post it is because you spend too much time on usenet
and have no
>life of

>your own, and you are probably just pissed that you didn't get

to send the
>newgroup post yourself.
>

>if wasted bandwidth pisses you off, go pick up trash from the

side of the
>highway, you will get more gratitude that way.
><end quote>

NORNGod

Feb 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/7/99
xOtix wrote:

> You forgot to put [OT] in your subject line so that those of us
> who aren't interested or value our time better can filter this
> out...

I think the name "Alize" is enough for me to filter out...
--
~NORNGod \ Visit NORNGod's NORNMania!
\ http://www.kpweb.com/chosted/norngod/
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ\
\ Soon to be on it's own server at:
\ http://www.norngod.com
Please get \
it right... \ Home of the largest C2 map on the web! Nice
\ selection of C2 colored norns, and lots more!
_________________\
\ There is also my personal page on crappy
The correct \ Xoom: http://members.xoom.com/dstyring/
spelling is \________________________________________
NORNGod.. not NORNgod, norngod, NORNGOD, NornGod, nornGod
nornGOD, NornGOD, or anything else that isn't *NORNGod*.
Just NG also works... |ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ|I can be reached either by email:
Hopefully coming |
soon from yours |nor...@fast.net
truly (!): |
My own female Ettin |
sprites! |
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
There is NO typo in Netscrape... <G>

xOtix

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99
"Never turn your back on someone who is bent on causing you
harm"-moi

MadFish387

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99
>Don't you have more pressing things to do with your time, like
>moderate your new group? By other accounts, it's already
>carrying porn SPAMming posts. Or is that part of the regular
>agenda on alt.games.creatures.moderated?

A Norn with a Labotomy could do better, thank the Shee AOL isn't carrying it
(for now anyway).

mae...@nospam.demon.co.uk

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99
wrote:

>USENet Lesson's

More info in the various FAQs and posts on alt.config for
anyone interested in hearing more than one side of this
debate. ;^)

That aside, I'm surprised you're still posting here. I thought
you found a.g.c. intolerable, it being full of "uneducated"
people, FAQ posters, and people who keep pointing out
that you've lied in your proposal and charter, etc. I wonder
that you should feel so obsessed with this NG that you cannot
even let go after making your own NG under false pretexts.

Don't you have more pressing things to do with your time, like
moderate your new group? By other accounts, it's already
carrying porn SPAMming posts. Or is that part of the regular
agenda on alt.games.creatures.moderated?

Mae Tang
(replace "nospam" with "nu-it" for a valid e-mail address)

RedWordSmith

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99
xOtix wrote:

> "Never turn your back on someone who is bent on causing you
> harm"-moi

"Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer." - [?]

--
NN N RRRRR W W SSSSSS Nic (RedWord)Smith
N N N R R W W W S Executioner of Trolls

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/mysteriousshee

mae...@nospam.demon.co.uk

Feb 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/9/99
On 8 Feb 1999 18:54:21 GMT, madfi...@aol.comicalRoy (MadFish387)
wrote:

>>Don't you have more pressing things to do with your time, like
>>moderate your new group? By other accounts, it's already
>>carrying porn SPAMming posts. Or is that part of the regular
>>agenda on alt.games.creatures.moderated?
>

>A Norn with a Labotomy could do better, thank the Shee AOL isn't carrying it
>(for now anyway).

Awwww... Let's not insult the norns. If they feel the need
to keep walking repeatedly into that wall, at least they
don't try to blame others for the pain they feel afterwards. ;^)

Mannkind

Feb 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/9/99
>wwww... Let's not insult the norns. If they feel the need
>to keep walking repeatedly into that wall, at least they
>don't try to blame others for the pain they feel afterwards. ;^)

Sorry for this few letters post but in the name of Daljit

ROTFLMAO!!!

~ The Even More Deranged Mannkind
~ If all else fails.... screw it....
My greatest wish is that they wouldn't let stupid people on the net.
CAOS Scripts 60,000 --> 60,200

DeGeneration-N http://www.albia2000.force9.co.uk/dnorn/

xOtix

Feb 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/9/99

mae...@nospam.demon.co.uk wrote in message
<36ecabcd...@news.demon.co.uk>...

>On 8 Feb 1999 18:54:21 GMT, madfi...@aol.comicalRoy
(MadFish387)
>wrote:
>
>>>Don't you have more pressing things to do with your time,
like
>>>moderate your new group? By other accounts, it's already
>>>carrying porn SPAMming posts. Or is that part of the regular
>>>agenda on alt.games.creatures.moderated?
>>
>>A Norn with a Labotomy could do better, thank the Shee AOL
isn't carrying it
>>(for now anyway).
>
>Awwww... Let's not insult the norns. If they feel the need

>to keep walking repeatedly into that wall, at least they
>don't try to blame others for the pain they feel afterwards.
;^)

LOL!!!!!! <giggle><snort> heh,heh... sorry... hehehheh...

xOtix

Feb 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/9/99

RedWordSmith wrote in message
<36BF5B9B...@nic.dreamhost.com>...

>xOtix wrote:
>>
>> "Never turn your back on someone who is bent on causing you
>> harm"-moi
>
>"Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer." - [?]

Yah... better to keep them where you can keep an eye on them,
like Frodo and Sam kept Gollum. Worked out neatly in the end,
didn't it? <g>

~ jann

RedWordSmith

Feb 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/9/99

Hmm... [tries to remember end] noo...... I've forgotten! I'll have to read it
again! No... wait... that's good! If I wait a few more months maybe I'll
forget MYST and Riven too.