My Suspicions Borne Out about CyberLife's New Genome

44 views
Skip to first unread message

slink

unread,
Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98
to
I have run a comparisons between CyberLife's old and new C2 genome.
The results are both revealing and amusing.

Highlights

1. There are very few instinct changes. Why not try your norns under
both the old and new executable and see if you think the genome is
responsible for the apparently improved instinctual behavior?

2. My Pitone #3 reaction appears with no acknowledgment. How do I
know it's mine and not their independent discovery? Although they
don't use my Pituitoid organ and have used chemical 180 in the
reaction, they forgot to change the emitter and it is still using chem
149, which is the one I am using. So not only did they lift the
system from my genome, they didn't even make it functional!

3. They put three copies of Lis Morris's myoglobin system in, but one
is in the muscles and both of the other two are in just one of the two
lungs.

The detailed report is under Gene Lab, Slink's Improved C2 Genomes.
Enjoy.


--
Sandra -> http://www.netins.net/showcase/slink/
GEEK CODE Version 3.12: GS>AT !d(++)@ s:+ a+ C+++($) !U(C/H$) P(+)@
L E? W++ N++ o? K? w(++)@ O !M V(+) PS+() PE(++)@ Y+ PGP? t++@ 5? X?
R+ tv-- b++(++++)@ DI++++ D G e++++ h+(++)($) r+++ x+++

Jcarrcwalk

unread,
Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98
to

Wow, that's pretty serious. The one thing I can think they might have been
thinking is that the right lung has 3 sections, while the left has 2. That's
pretty lame!
Andrew

Denise L. Voskuil

unread,
Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98
to
In article <19980925155750...@ng82.aol.com>, jcarr...@aol.com
says...

>Wow, that's pretty serious. The one thing I can think they might have been
>thinking is that the right lung has 3 sections, while the left has 2. That's
>pretty lame!

<hit CyberLife yes!> I thought it was bad enough that they were misspelling
"wolfling" on their site, and misplaced that heart gene into the uterus (among
other problems); now this too. :( We appreciate your work, Slink. <scritch
scritch>

I have to see how the sproing flower looks in my C2 world tonight. :)

- Denise

--
Denise L. Voskuil-Marre - dvoskuil@: uic.edu/mcs.com/eden.com
http://www.uic.edu/~dvoskuil/
I'm too low in the hierarchy at UIC to officially even
*have* an opinion, so this sure isn't theirs.


Martha Brummett

unread,
Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98
to
On Fri, 25 Sep 1998 17:41:28 GMT, sl...@netins.net (slink) wrote:

>I have run a comparisons between CyberLife's old and new C2 genome.
>The results are both revealing and amusing.

>The detailed report is under Gene Lab, Slink's Improved C2 Genomes.
>Enjoy.

>Sandra -> http://www.netins.net/showcase/slink/

This is wonderful! I've been under a deadline all day and couldn't
get it until now, but it's printing out and is just what I'd always
wanted for C1--the clear explanation of the complete genetic makeup, I
mean, not that I won't enjoy an explanation of the changes as well.

As you know, I'm not a scientist, but am capable of understanding
scientific concepts if well-explained.

Ever thought about stepping into the shoes of Asimov? Perhaps,
though, since I don't read the popular science magazines on a regular
basis, I've missed your articles.


Martha Brummett
Piratical Maid-of-All-Work, P.B.* Jolly Weeble
mo...@diac.com
Bonadrey Nornery
http://www.diac.com/~mokus/bonadrey.html

* Pirate Brig

Martha Brummett

unread,
Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98
to
On Sat, 26 Sep 1998 22:15:02 GMT, mae...@nospam.demon.co.uk wrote:

>I also get really irritated by the coding in the .exe that
>makes them start acting like poltergeist, yelling: "<name>
>extremely hungery, get food" when they're surrounded
>by cheese, honey, kippers, fruit, roots, plants, zander
>fish... I have the sneaky feeling that if they took that coding
>out, the norns would actually eat / sleep / drink, etc pretty
>well on their own. As it is, they're too busy yodelling to
>actually get round to satisfying their needs.

Right on! I call it zombie-like... This routine interrupts their
thinking process and prevents them from learning to satisfy their
drives. No-one is impressed by it. It's clear that the intensifiers
are random and kick in when the highest drive reached a certain point.

><Makes a "tsk tsk tsk" sound at Cyberlife...>

I do have to admit that I played C2 for 15 game minutes (much more in
real time) and, to my relief, the proper C2EN language was in place,
and stayed that way. [KNOCK ON WOOD!].

mae...@nospam.demon.co.uk

unread,
Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98
to
On Fri, 25 Sep 1998 17:41:28 GMT, sl...@netins.net (slink) wrote:

>I have run a comparisons between CyberLife's old and new C2 genome.
>The results are both revealing and amusing.

[snip]

<Scouse accent> What are they liiiiiiikhe! </Scouse accent>

That does it! I've given the original genome a fair trial. I've
given the new "improved" genome a fair trial. My norns
are still staggering around like poor, brainless invalids,
unable to sleep, and not getting any real benefits when
they do cat nap for 5 seconds. I can get them to breed,
but it simply isn't fun watching them suffer. I'm starting to
feel really inhumane if I try to get them to do stuff like
explore a little, or play with toys when their sleepiness is
constantly maxed out. I'm going to start breeding with
your norns big time now. Obviously Cyberlife was hoping
to crib the best part of your genome for their norns, but
totally missed the point.


Mae Tang

(replace "nospam" with "nu-it" for a valid e-mail address)

Ping

unread,
Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98
to

mae...@nospam.demon.co.uk wrote in message
<360c54c3...@news.demon.co.uk>...

>
><Scouse accent> What are they liiiiiiikhe! </Scouse accent>
>

ARGH! don't.....don't do that. <has a fear of anything scouse>


>Obviously Cyberlife was hoping
>to crib the best part of your genome for their norns, but
>totally missed the point.
>

Did they ask Lis permission to use her genes?

I'm having the same trouble as you are. My Norns just hang around the
incubator looking like a Llama just sat on them. They don't push any Movers
(unlike C1 Norns) they don't eat, they don't sleep and they don't breed.
And they were to be smarter than C1 Norns?

And Cyberlife shouldn't go around taking Third Party genes without
permission from the authors, it's not good enough to give credit if they
haven't been given permission in the first place.....

-Ping, god of newsgroup Sarcasm
*
Ping(@)albia(.)demon(.)co(.).uk
*
ATTENTON SPAMBLOCKED: Replace NOSPAM with ALBIA for valid E-mail address.
*
Thanks to {R}ichard Ashton for use of his NoSpam domain!
*
ICQ: 6283750
Or on AIM: Pingyboop
*
Ping`s Creatures
*
http://www.albia.demon.co.uk/creatures/
*
Homer: "Wait a minute! that's what I can offer you that no one else can.
Complete and Utter Dependance"
Marge: "Homer, that's not a good thing"
Homer: "Are you Kidding? it's a wonderous, marvelous thing!"
*
------BEGIN_C-ADD_CODE_BLOCK----
Version Number: 1.2gAO d-- s? a--- Z- t+++:+++ C+
rC++/c-/B++/N+/E1-,2++,3?,4+,5++,6+,7++,8+,9-/O---/o+:,o++:,Norn-fam-tree
A-- S++ gQ+++/W1-,2,4+,5+,6+++ W--- P-
G/d-:,JediKnight,MotS,Duke3D,Unreal/S--:,Settlers,Settlers2/p*/ %%
o:Grand-Theft-Auto,Metal-Knights-98,X-wing-vs-Tie-Fighter, %%
Rebel-Assault-II,Dark-Forces-1,SNSM,Breath-Of-Fire-2
-----END_C-ADD_CODE_BLOCK-----

Carolyn Horn

unread,
Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98
to
In article: <360bd3e4...@news.netins.net> sl...@netins.net
(slink) writes:
>
> I have run a comparisons between CyberLife's old and new C2 genome.
> The results are both revealing and amusing.
>
> Highlights
>
> 1. There are very few instinct changes. Why not try your norns under
> both the old and new executable and see if you think the genome is
> responsible for the apparently improved instinctual behavior?

It would be nice to hear from Cyberlife on this one; I've tried the
above very briefly with one norn, and the results are very interesting.
I shall have to make a more extensive trial when I have the time...

> 2. My Pitone #3 reaction appears with no acknowledgment. How do I
> know it's mine and not their independent discovery? Although they
> don't use my Pituitoid organ and have used chemical 180 in the
> reaction, they forgot to change the emitter and it is still using chem
> 149, which is the one I am using. So not only did they lift the
> system from my genome, they didn't even make it functional!

Now this is bad. Apart from the idiocy in putting a non-functional
system into their product, they really _really_ ought to at least
acknowledge your input. Actually they ought to ask your permission
first--and pay you, if they are paying third parties for the genome-
patch input.

> 3. They put three copies of Lis Morris's myoglobin system in, but one
> is in the muscles and both of the other two are in just one of the two
> lungs.

LOL!!

> The detailed report is under Gene Lab, Slink's Improved C2 Genomes.
> Enjoy.
>

Thanks; as always, it's good to see the detailed information you
provide.

Carolyn


Carolyn Horn

unread,
Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98
to
In article: <906795855.28376.0...@news.demon.co.uk>
> >Obviously Cyberlife was hoping
> >to crib the best part of your genome for their norns, but
> >totally missed the point.
>
> Did they ask Lis permission to use her genes?

I should imagine so; but even if they didn't, they certainly
acknowledged her input into the improvements.

> I'm having the same trouble as you are. My Norns just hang around the
> incubator looking like a Llama just sat on them.

LOL! You have experience in Llama-sitting, I take it :-)

> They don't push any Movers (unlike C1 Norns) they don't eat, they
> don't sleep and they don't breed. And they were to be smarter than C1
> Norns?

Are you using the original 1.0.28 version of the executable, or have you
installed the 1.0.35? My norns from the new eggs have that
Llama-bottomed look if I run them with the old .exe; they seem a bit
better with the new one.

> And Cyberlife shouldn't go around taking Third Party genes without
> permission from the authors, it's not good enough to give credit if
> they haven't been given permission in the first place.....

And if they haven't even been given credit...?

Carolyn

Ping

unread,
Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98
to

Carolyn Horn wrote in message <716727...@horn.demon.co.uk>...

>
>LOL! You have experience in Llama-sitting, I take it :-)
>

"Remmy run Llama"


>Are you using the original 1.0.28 version of the executable, or have you
>installed the 1.0.35? My norns from the new eggs have that
>Llama-bottomed look if I run them with the old .exe; they seem a bit
>better with the new one.
>

No no, I'm using .35 and I don't see any improvment. They're just as
stupid, if not stupider. With C1 Norns you had a hard time keeping them
from rushing around Albia eating the deathcap. But with C2 Norns you can't
even get them to activate the elevator. The Norns in C2 act like C1 Norns
with a Lobe removed.


>
>And if they haven't even been given credit...?
>


"Cyberlife push badcritter"

Plucky

unread,
Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98
to
Have you tried Lis' norns? They do absolutly everything I tell them, and
they even seem to walk into walls less! Too bad y' can't D/L them
anymore.

mae...@nospam.demon.co.uk wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Sep 1998 17:41:28 GMT, sl...@netins.net (slink) wrote:
>

> >I have run a comparisons between CyberLife's old and new C2 genome.
> >The results are both revealing and amusing.
>

> [snip]


>
> <Scouse accent> What are they liiiiiiikhe! </Scouse accent>
>

> That does it! I've given the original genome a fair trial. I've
> given the new "improved" genome a fair trial. My norns
> are still staggering around like poor, brainless invalids,
> unable to sleep, and not getting any real benefits when
> they do cat nap for 5 seconds. I can get them to breed,
> but it simply isn't fun watching them suffer. I'm starting to
> feel really inhumane if I try to get them to do stuff like
> explore a little, or play with toys when their sleepiness is
> constantly maxed out. I'm going to start breeding with

> your norns big time now. Obviously Cyberlife was hoping


> to crib the best part of your genome for their norns, but
> totally missed the point.
>

Denise L. Voskuil

unread,
Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98
to
On Sat, 26 Sep 1998 06:55:07 -0400, Plucky <ema...@cgocable.net>
wrote:

>Have you tried Lis' norns? They do absolutly everything I tell them, and
>they even seem to walk into walls less! Too bad y' can't D/L them
>anymore.

Sure you can. They're in the a.b.g.c archive, at
<http://welcome.to/alt.binaries.games.creatures/>. I think they were
posted 9/19 or so.

- Denise

--
Denise L. Voskuil-Marré - dvos...@mcs.com or grend...@hotmail.com
The Truth About Grendels! - <http://welcome.to/grendels/>
C-ADD-BLOCK: 1.2g: AMD d+ s+: a-- X- t+:+@ C+
rC?/c?/B/N+/E1?,2?,3?,4?,5+,6+,7?,8?,9? O? o+:,GenCompare S- gQ W+ P---
Gd--:,S--:,p*,o+:Pocket-Fighter,Klonoa,Tomba!,Tekken-3,Test-Drive-4

mae...@nospam.demon.co.uk

unread,
Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98
to
On Sat, 26 Sep 1998 08:18:44 +0100, "Ping" <Pi...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>><Scouse accent> What are they liiiiiiikhe! </Scouse accent>
>

>ARGH! don't.....don't do that. <has a fear of anything scouse>

AH HA! Now we have dicovered your weakness!
Ve haf vays of making you tok! <eg>

(Sorry, repeats of 'Allo 'Allo are on TV right now...)

>>Obviously Cyberlife was hoping
>>to crib the best part of your genome for their norns, but
>>totally missed the point.
>

>Did they ask Lis permission to use her genes?

I don't know. It's a good question. I had a look at Slink's page,
and from her comparison of their new genome to her new
genome, it looks pretty clear that they used portions of her
new norns without asking, and without giving her credit. I find
that really disturbing. We have enough problems on the group
keeping mis-guided people from stealing other people's COBs,
norns, ideas, and stuff, without Cyberlife getting in on the act. :^(

At least they credited some of the stuff they took from Lis's
norns.

>I'm having the same trouble as you are. My Norns just hang around the
>incubator looking like a Llama just sat on them.

LOL!

I also get really irritated by the coding in the .exe that


makes them start acting like poltergeist, yelling: "<name>
extremely hungery, get food" when they're surrounded
by cheese, honey, kippers, fruit, roots, plants, zander
fish... I have the sneaky feeling that if they took that coding
out, the norns would actually eat / sleep / drink, etc pretty
well on their own. As it is, they're too busy yodelling to
actually get round to satisfying their needs.

>They don't push any Movers


>(unlike C1 Norns) they don't eat, they don't sleep and they don't breed.
>And they were to be smarter than C1 Norns?

I agree that more complex isn't necessarily better.
I mean, some C1 norns had pretty difficult mutations,
short attention spans, no attention spans, etc. But we
could cope with that. The C2 norns seem to have
aquired a more complex set of features (organs, etc),
without the smarts / instincts to cope with that.

>And Cyberlife shouldn't go around taking Third Party genes without
>permission from the authors, it's not good enough to give credit if they
>haven't been given permission in the first place.....

<Makes a "tsk tsk tsk" sound at Cyberlife...>


Dokter Ooh

unread,
Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
to

>Are you using the original 1.0.28 version of the executable, or have you
>installed the 1.0.35?

How do I tell which version the executable is?
SIGNED,
the fellow known by the norns as "JOE"

Frimlin

unread,
Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
to
Plucky <ema...@cgocable.net> writes: > Have you tried Lis' norns? They do absolutly everything I tell them, and

> they even seem to walk into walls less! Too bad y' can't D/L them
> anymore.

Lis has some of her norns up at my site, I edited the pigment
genes for them. The most up to date as far as Lis's genetics
goes is a bright blue male called Tarn.

She has hinted to me that her work on the genome is still
continuing... <g> so... guess we'll all have to be patient :)

As soon as my new computer is working again *sigh* I will put even
more creatures up there for downloading.


Cheers,

Frimlin
http://www.frimlin.co.nz/

Ping

unread,
Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
to

mae...@nospam.demon.co.uk wrote in message
<360d1ef...@news.demon.co.uk>...

>
>AH HA! Now we have dicovered your weakness!
>Ve haf vays of making you tok! <eg>
>

Shh! my weakness must never be known, lest Das exploit it.....oh wait.....a
Scouse Hick? somehow I don't think so...

>(Sorry, repeats of 'Allo 'Allo are on TV right now...)
>

<starts crying> stop that. Or I'll plunge you into the pit of eternal "Only
Fools And Horses" reruns,


>
>I don't know. It's a good question. I had a look at Slink's page,
>and from her comparison of their new genome to her new
>genome, it looks pretty clear that they used portions of her
>new norns without asking,

Not good. Not good at all. Unless somewhere in the so called "manual"
there's a little bit of text that says "All 3rd party creations are property
of Cyberlife Tech ect. ect." like Lucasarts do in every single one of their
game manuals.

>and without giving her credit.

Well what kind of Example is that setting for people who link to files, link
to graphics and don't give Credit? Cyberlife are just as bad.

>I find
>that really disturbing. We have enough problems on the group
>keeping mis-guided people from stealing other people's COBs,
>norns, ideas, and stuff, without Cyberlife getting in on the act. :^(

Exactly. I'm pretty sure that a "Well if Cyberlife can do it, why can't I?"
attitude will spring up.

>
>At least they credited some of the stuff they took from Lis's
>norns.

A small bit of text on the bottom of a page? pfft.

>I also get really irritated by the coding in the .exe that
>makes them start acting like poltergeist, yelling: "<name>
>extremely hungery, get food" when they're surrounded
>by cheese, honey, kippers, fruit, roots, plants, zander
>fish...

Yes!! I know exactly what you mean. I had one of my first Norns; Arcania2,
sitting by the Incubator and his hunger was at max. He was sitting next to
those mushrooms that they like to eat so much, he had 3 Potatoes nearby and
both Honey Pots. He had that dropped Jaw look and he kept saying he was
hungry, so I told him to eat but he just ignored me and carried on playing
with my Ettin who had a big toothy grin on his face. I tried removing the
Ettin and he still wouldn't eat, he eventually passed out and died instantly
while I was holding CTRL+S.....aww.

>I have the sneaky feeling that if they took that coding
>out, the norns would actually eat / sleep / drink, etc pretty
>well on their own. As it is, they're too busy yodelling to
>actually get round to satisfying their needs.
>

LOL!

>
>I agree that more complex isn't necessarily better.
>I mean, some C1 norns had pretty difficult mutations,
>short attention spans, no attention spans, etc. But we
>could cope with that.

Sure, I never had one problem with telling a Norn to eat in C1, it was as
easy as saying "Sal push food" and she would, it was the same with all the
Norns that I hatched. They may have organs ect. but they are not exactly
simulating any type of Lifeform that I've ever seen.


>The C2 norns seem to have
>aquired a more complex set of features (organs, etc),
>without the smarts / instincts to cope with that.
>

True. I don't think any life form would walk around on the bottom of the
ocean while it suffocated, do you?


>
><Makes a "tsk tsk tsk" sound at Cyberlife...>
>
>

<waves his finger about>

Carolyn Horn

unread,
Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
to
In article: <19980926224551...@ng72.aol.com>

Go to the Help menu and choose "About Creatures 2". The version number
is on the page that pops up.

Carolyn

mae...@nospam.demon.co.uk

unread,
Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
to
On Sat, 26 Sep 1998 06:55:07 -0400, Plucky <ema...@cgocable.net>
wrote:

>Have you tried Lis' norns? They do absolutly everything I tell them, and


>they even seem to walk into walls less! Too bad y' can't D/L them
>anymore.

I've got them from her post to a.b.g.c.. I'll probably
give them a whirl at some point. I want to find a
set that I'm happy with, and then stick with those.
It's frustrating to get attached to norn after norn, and
then watch them suffer (sleepy, tired, etc), and
wonder when Cyberlife will get their act together
and release a definitive bug-fixed set. I think I'll stick
with Slink and Lis's norns big time, as they seem to
be getting the best reviews here, and so far, I'm
enjoying Slink's. The little green female I hatched
seems to be thirsty a lot, but she sleeps much
better, and has quite a strong personality (she actually
does more than limp around with eyebags down to
her knees...).

mae...@nospam.demon.co.uk

unread,
Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
to
On Sat, 26 Sep 1998 08:39:21 , St...@horn.demon.co.uk (Carolyn Horn)
wrote:

>Thanks; as always, it's good to see the detailed information you
>provide.

Slink, your break-down of your own genome is _exactly_
the kind of info I was hoping to see on the Cyberlife norns
(though obviously not in their flimsy manual!) at some
point. I have very little biology, but it gives me some idea
of the various chemicals, and organs, and how they all
work together. If I have to work a little harder to figure out
the stuff that is foreign to me, I'm happy to do that coz I
feel like I'm getting somewhere - I'm learning to understand
how my norns work. Being properly informed is a great
change from the pattronising attitude that went with that
worse than basic manual that came in the box.

Thanks!

MadFish387

unread,
Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
to

>>(Sorry, repeats of 'Allo 'Allo are on TV right now...)
>>

Is Allo' Allo' on again? When?

><starts crying> stop that. Or I'll plunge you into the pit of eternal "Only
>Fools And Horses" reruns,

No! Use them before sacrificing Navens, Trolls and such. Along with the Hanson
Vids and for my one personal twist Bruce Forcyth and Last of the Summer Wine!!!


Wahahahahahhahaha


Madfish - Hater of all that is Mindlessscape

Hopeful Demi-Urge of Cynicism

Murphy was right, O'Tool was more so

ACWP :- http://member.aol.com/madfish387/index.html

ICQ 19001858

Message has been deleted

MadFish387

unread,
Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
to

>>
>>No! Use them before sacrificing Navens, Trolls and such. Along with the
>Hanson
>
>"CptSiskoX, you plonka"
>
>"Dayton, you plonka"
>
>It works on so many levels.

It does doesn't it!

>>Vids and for my one personal twist Bruce Forcyth and Last of the Summer
>>Wine!!!
>>
>

>Urk!

Don't think I wouldn't!

>>
>>Wahahahahahhahaha
>>
>
>You're evil maan!! eeevill <grin>

Oh I know, I know!!! <Cat about to go for the juggular grin>

><keeps Madfish at arms lenth with his "Eldorado" videos>

Due to the inability to reach the Eldorado videos I have now chosen to add:-
Every edition of 'Wogen', Every episode of 'Family affairs' and A tape of me
singing!!!

Ping

unread,
Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
to

MadFish387 wrote in message <19980927073256...@ng38.aol.com>...

>
>It does doesn't it!
>

"Look Graindaid y' get back into at chair I bout ya from du markey and troll
dat dayr noosgroop"


>
>Don't think I wouldn't!
>

Run yes evil.


>
>Oh I know, I know!!! <Cat about to go for the juggular grin>
>

<Ross Kemp grin>


>
>Due to the inability to reach the Eldorado videos I have now chosen to
add:-
>Every edition of 'Wogen', Every episode of 'Family affairs' and A tape of
me
>singing!!!
>

Ohh dear god....well......I have <takes out 6 videos each containing several
episodes of Animal Hospital also takes out a video of Dame Edna's christmas
Special and "Dame Edna does Wigan">

MadFish387

unread,
Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
to

>>Due to the inability to reach the Eldorado videos I have now chosen to
>add:-
>>Every edition of 'Wogen', Every episode of 'Family affairs' and A tape of
>me
>>singing!!!
>>
>
>Ohh dear god....well......I have <takes out 6 videos each containing several
>episodes of Animal Hospital also takes out a video of Dame Edna's christmas
>Special and "Dame Edna does Wigan">
>

Wayhey lets add more! :-
The Bold and The Beautiful
Sunset Beach
Baywatch
Anything with Les Dennis
90's Children's TV

And to stop from getting square eyes, some litriture :-

Any poem by Larken
The Van - by Rodey Doyle
Any Point-* Book

:::::Darknesslooms and lightning cracks (A Naven's skull):::::

Ping

unread,
Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
to

MadFish387 wrote in message <19980927075610...@ng38.aol.com>...

>
>Wayhey lets add more! :-
>The Bold and The Beautiful
>Sunset Beach
>Baywatch
>Anything with Les Dennis
>90's Children's TV

ROFL!! or anything from the 1980's.

>
>And to stop from getting square eyes, some litriture :-
>
>Any poem by Larken
>The Van - by Rodey Doyle
>Any Point-* Book
>
>:::::Darknesslooms and lightning cracks (A Naven's skull):::::
>

No, I'll have nothing to do with this....It's too evil even for me.

Martha Brummett

unread,
Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
to
On Mon, 28 Sep 1998 19:32:36 GMT, mae...@nospam.demon.co.uk wrote:

>IMO that coding is a good as a bug, coz it stops the
>actual genome from working to its full potential.
>Grah! I don't really care if my norns revert to "Alice
>food" instead of "Alice extremely hungry, get food".
>I would prefer "Alice food", because then I could
>actually get a sense of what the little beasties are
>really thinking, and, I think they'd actually make the
>decision to "get/eat food" much more easily, without
>being so distracted.

I agree. It _does_ distract them--I have seen it more times than I
care to think about. I don't care what Toby says--it happens. They
become little zombies, possessed by a force outside themselves.


Martha Brummett
Piratical Maid-of-All-Work, P.B.* Jolly Weeble
mo...@diac.com
Bonadrey Nornery
http://www.diac.com/~mokus/bonadrey.html

Subscribe to The Journal of Albian Ecology--
http://jouralbecol.listbot.com

* Pirate Brig

mae...@nospam.demon.co.uk

unread,
Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
to
On Sun, 27 Sep 1998 09:33:31 +0100, "Ping" <Pi...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>Shh! my weakness must never be known, lest Das exploit it.....oh wait.....a
>Scouse Hick? somehow I don't think so...

A Scouse Hick??? LOL!

><starts crying> stop that. Or I'll plunge you into the pit of eternal "Only
>Fools And Horses" reruns,

<shudders> At least it's not "Last of the Summer Wine"...

>Not good. Not good at all. Unless somewhere in the so called "manual"
>there's a little bit of text that says "All 3rd party creations are property
>of Cyberlife Tech ect. ect." like Lucasarts do in every single one of their
>game manuals.

Even so, it would have been common courtesy to ask
her first, or at least credit her as they did Lis. If they
want to keep the third-party-creations aspect of the
game viable, they have to at least behave with a little
(n)ettiquette, even if that's not a legal obligation. IMO
of course, but I think most people here would agree.

>he still wouldn't eat, he eventually passed out and died instantly
>while I was holding CTRL+S.....aww.

:^(

IMO that coding is a good as a bug, coz it stops the
actual genome from working to its full potential.
Grah! I don't really care if my norns revert to "Alice
food" instead of "Alice extremely hungry, get food".
I would prefer "Alice food", because then I could
actually get a sense of what the little beasties are
really thinking, and, I think they'd actually make the
decision to "get/eat food" much more easily, without
being so distracted.

>True. I don't think any life form would walk around on the bottom of the


>ocean while it suffocated, do you?

Hmmm... <Imagines Cyberlife's annual office part to the
beach.> Maybe the norns think they're in some episode
of Baywatch. They amble around underwater waiting for
the Albian equivalent of <wince> Pamela Anderson, or
<shudder> David Hasselhoff to run s-l-o-w-l-y through the
surf towards them. I don't know.

MadFish387

unread,
Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
to

>Hmmm... <Imagines Cyberlife's annual office part to the
>beach.> Maybe the norns think they're in some episode
>of Baywatch. They amble around underwater waiting for
>the Albian equivalent of <wince> Pamela Anderson, or
><shudder> David Hasselhoff to run s-l-o-w-l-y through the
>surf towards them. I don't know.

We had a Beach Scene at the the last Stirling Scout and Guide Gang Show, The we
were all suposed to run on stage (It's a proper production) when the curtain
went up. You wouldn't believe how annoyed the producer was when we came on with
a 'Baywatch' run!

geNorNics

unread,
Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
to
sl...@netins.net (slink) wrote:

>I have run a comparisons between CyberLife's old and new C2 genome.
>The results are both revealing and amusing.
>

>Highlights

[snip]

>3. They put three copies of Lis Morris's myoglobin system in, but one
>is in the muscles and both of the other two are in just one of the two
>lungs.

Hmm, there seems to be a set of them in each lung in my genome. They
come at the very end of each respective organ.

-- Linda

slink

unread,
Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
to

Check the "duplicate" settings. Duplicates are processed in order of

all genes marked 0
all genes marked 1
all genes marked 2
etc

The second lung is a duplicate 20, due to the fact that the person
(Eric Goodwin?) who attempted to change it from a duplicate 3 did not
understand how to change the duplication as well as the organ number.
Therefore the second set of reactions, which are level 0 reactions,
apply to the level 0 organ (3) and not the level 1 organ (20).

GEEK CODE Version 3.12: GS>AT !d(++)@ s:+ a+ C+++($) !U(C/H$) P(+)@
L E? W++ N++ o? K? w(++)@ O !M V(+) PS+() PE(++)@ Y+ PGP? t++@ 5? X?
R+ tv-- b++(++++)@ DI++++ D G e++++ h+(++)($) r+++ x+++

Lis Morris

unread,
Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
to

geNorNics wrote in message <360ffaf...@news.mindspring.com>...

>sl...@netins.net (slink) wrote:
>
>>I have run a comparisons between CyberLife's old and new C2 genome.
>>The results are both revealing and amusing.
>>
>>Highlights
>
>[snip]
>
>>3. They put three copies of Lis Morris's myoglobin system in, but one
>>is in the muscles and both of the other two are in just one of the two
>>lungs.
>
>Hmm, there seems to be a set of them in each lung in my genome. They
>come at the very end of each respective organ.
>
>-- Linda


That's actually a bit weird. I put the myoglobin genes into the muscles,
because myoglobin is a muscle chemical. It's not found at all in the lungs
:-). I chose myoglobin rather than the better known heamoglobin as the name
for this chemical because it fitted neatly into one organ then, whereas
norns don't really have a blood supply as such.
--
Lis Morris,
Evil Shee potato grower, and namer of Borland.

The Hippy Norn's Hangout:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/morris_family/hippy.htm


Sparrow

unread,
Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
to
Ping wrote:
>
> >(Sorry, repeats of 'Allo 'Allo are on TV right now...)
> >
>
> <starts crying> stop that. Or I'll plunge you into the pit of eternal "Only
> Fools And Horses" reruns,

'Allo 'Allo was a good show.. well, the first half of the series was.
The one with the original actors (and a better writer, it seems). Though
the second half was okay, I wouldn't recommend it for a first impression
for fear of driving away potential viewers.

> >I also get really irritated by the coding in the .exe that
> >makes them start acting like poltergeist, yelling: "<name>
> >extremely hungery,

Then their heads spin all the way around-- oh, wait.. that was
"Excorcist"...

--
-Sparrow
Leader of the BUG and the SPFRBW.
Self-proclaimed god of all that is pocket.

If anyone has a problem with my being pocket-god, I may just have to
step down...
Wanting to be pocket-god yourself is not a valid excuse for pushing me
out of office...


mae...@nospam.demon.co.uk

unread,
Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
to
On 27 Sep 1998 10:44:42 GMT, madfi...@aol.com (MadFish387) wrote:

>>>(Sorry, repeats of 'Allo 'Allo are on TV right now...)
>

>Is Allo' Allo' on again? When?

Saturdays, BBC 1, 5:30pm. They're showing them from
the beginning. <g>

mae...@nospam.demon.co.uk

unread,
Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
to
On 27 Sep 1998 11:56:10 GMT, madfi...@aol.com (MadFish387) wrote:

>Wayhey lets add more! :-
>The Bold and The Beautiful

Ooo! Ooo! Ooo! <jumps up and down> Don't forget
the Queen's speech every Christmas!

Ping

unread,
Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
to

mae...@nospam.demon.co.uk wrote in message
<360ea4f...@news.demon.co.uk>...


>
>A Scouse Hick??? LOL!
>

<chuckles and conjures up some twisted little images>

>
><shudders> At least it's not "Last of the Summer Wine"...
>

Ohh that's in there too. Along with an Audience with Noel Edmonds' beard
<ominous music>
AND, and...a Last of the Summer Wine collectors set of never before seen
episodes, including the never before viewed scene of Foggy being harassed by
a sheep...wooo! cower before it's evil.


>Even so, it would have been common courtesy to ask
>her first, or at least credit her as they did Lis.

Even though legally they wouldn't have to. They could just take anything
they want.

>If they
>want to keep the third-party-creations aspect of the
>game viable, they have to at least behave with a little
>(n)ettiquette, even if that's not a legal obligation. IMO
>of course, but I think most people here would agree.
>

<monotone voice mode> I heartly endorse this product, event or opinion.
</monotone voice mode>


>
>IMO that coding is a good as a bug, coz it stops the
>actual genome from working to its full potential.
>Grah! I don't really care if my norns revert to "Alice
>food" instead of "Alice extremely hungry, get food".
>I would prefer "Alice food", because then I could
>actually get a sense of what the little beasties are
>really thinking, and, I think they'd actually make the
>decision to "get/eat food" much more easily, without
>being so distracted.
>

Actually, I hatched a family of Basil (I call them that because they remind
me so much of that lovable Basil Brush character <grins>) Norns earlier this
morning and to my suprise they eat well, they sleep well and they
breed...um....*very* well <G>. I haven't had one death from them yet, looks
like they're going to work out. I raised a few generations of them within
the Volcano, and I've had no mutations and they seem fine living down there
near the Ettin.

>
>Hmmm... <Imagines Cyberlife's annual office part to the
>beach.>

<imagines Toby walking around on the sea bed saying "Toby push critter">

>Maybe the norns think they're in some episode
>of Baywatch.

<refrains>

>They amble around underwater waiting for
>the Albian equivalent of <wince> Pamela Anderson, or
><shudder> David Hasselhoff to run s-l-o-w-l-y through the
>surf towards them. I don't know.
>

ROFL!!

MadFish387

unread,
Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
to

>>Is Allo' Allo' on again? When?
>
>Saturdays, BBC 1, 5:30pm. They're showing them from
>the beginning. <g>
>
>

In Scotland to?
::::jumps up and down hopefully::::

jimbo

unread,
Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
to
>(Sorry, repeats of 'Allo 'Allo are on TV right now...)
is it? where? when?
woohoo!
--
jimbo
"do you know what a camel is? a camel is a horse designed by a commitee" - rodney
marsh
"follow your dreams. you can reach your goals, i'm living proof. beefcake.
BEEFCAKE!!!"
http://www.jammer.demon.co.uk ... now for c2!

jimbo

unread,
Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
to
><starts crying> stop that. Or I'll plunge you into the pit of eternal "Only
>Fools And Horses" reruns,
now come on, you don't really mean that. surely you know that anyone who
insults only fools and horses is cast into hell....
some things in life just *cannot* be knocked. Only Fools and Horses is one of
them. it's a classic in every way! right down to the drum roll at the end and the
drum beat of the theme song... the one that *everyone* recognises if you tap it
out on the table...
dun dun dun dun dun dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun boom che boom
boom che boom boom che boom boom....
it takes a ra ra ra ra la la la la no income tax no guarantee, no money back, no
vat...
how can you knock that? eh? <g> <smiles fondly at memories of the "damien"
episode> duh duh doh doh...... duh duh doh doh...... duh duh duh duh duh
duh-duh!
hehehehe.

jimbo

unread,
Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
to
>Is Allo' Allo' on again? When?
grah! apostrophes people! sorry to be picky, but allo' doesn't make sense with
an apostrophe, does it? <g>
and i *think* you knocked only fools and horses! grah! with reluctance you are
cast to the pits of hell!

--
jimbo
"do you know what a camel is? a camel is a horse designed by a commitee" - rodney
marsh
"follow your dreams. you can reach your goals, i'm living proof. beefcake.
BEEFCAKE!!!" - some little tubby guy
"i ate civilization... it poisoned me; I was defiled. And then..." - John Savage
"...i had some cheese, because i was feeling rather peckish." - me

MadFish387

unread,
Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
to

Allo' Allo'
is the programmes name

jimbo

unread,
Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
to
In article <19980929161215...@ng142.aol.com>, MadFish387
<madfi...@aol.com> writes
no, it's 'allo 'allo!

Ping

unread,
Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
to

jimbo wrote in message ...


>now come on, you don't really mean that. surely you know that anyone who
>insults only fools and horses is cast into hell....
>some things in life just *cannot* be knocked. Only Fools and Horses is one
of

>them.it's a classic in every way!

ROFL!!! it may be a classic, according to some people, but it's been beaten
to death bit by bit...constant re-runs of all the series.

Fawlty Towers on the other hand, is a Classic because they don't keep
beating the same dead boring series over and over again.


>how can you knock that? eh? <g> <smiles fondly at memories of the "damien"
>episode> duh duh doh doh...... duh duh doh doh...... duh duh duh duh duh
>duh-duh!

>hehehehe.


Oh no! what have I unleashed? :)

-Ping, god of newsgroup Sarcasm
*
Ping(@)albia(.)demon(.)co(.).uk
*
ATTENTON SPAMBLOCKED: Replace NOSPAM with ALBIA for valid E-mail address.
*

ICQ: 6283750
Or on AIM: Pingyboop
*
Ping`s Creatures
*
http://www.albia.demon.co.uk/creatures/
*

"Trying is the first step toward Failure" - Homer J. Simpson

MadFish387

unread,
Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
to

>Fawlty Towers on the other hand, is a Classic because they don't keep
>beating the same dead boring series over and over again.
>
>

And now for something completly different.

Monty Python Rules!!!

Anyone heard the Eric the half-a-Bee, Sketch and song. Or the classic never to
be forgotten Parrot Sketch.....Or The Galaxy Song..............

mae...@nospam.demon.co.uk

unread,
Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
to
On 29 Sep 1998 17:07:13 GMT, madfi...@aol.com (MadFish387) wrote:

>>>Is Allo' Allo' on again? When?
>>

>>Saturdays, BBC 1, 5:30pm. They're showing them from
>>the beginning. <g>
>
>In Scotland to?
>::::jumps up and down hopefully::::

Don't know. The Radio Times listings I have are all
for Yorkshire / the North East. With any luck though...
<g> I'm going to name a bunch of norns: Renee,
Evette, LeClerc, HerrFlick, Helga, etc, just to
celebrate!

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages