[C3 PLUG] Coming soon: Gaia!

77 views
Skip to first unread message

Lis Morris

unread,
May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
to
Time to plug what I've been up to these last few weeks! I've been making
Gaia. She's a sort of new breed... well, more of a new species.... on fact,
she's more like a new agent...or maybe...

I'll start again. Gaia (Genetic Ark Interface Apparatus) is an intelligent
shipboard computer, capable of controlling the Ark's ecosystem and bioenergy
levels. She also has her own needs and wants, and likes passing the time of
day with the hand or other creatures. Unlike a normal creature, she is
actually part of the ship, and therefore unable to move. She makes up for
this, though, by being telekinetic!

Gaia is currently in testing, and no bugs have been reported yet, so she
should be out RSN!
--
Lis Morris,
Owner of the Palace:
http://www.evilshee.co.uk
'Potatoes and shoelaces are our speciality'

groovychic

unread,
May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
to
Sounds interesting
YES! I think I am the first person to respond...WOOOHHOOOOO
Exams = stress = hyperactive brains and unleashed emotions = my current mood

Ping

unread,
May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
to

Lis Morris <lis.m...@shee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:8erhvk$9ob$1...@uranium.btinternet.com...

> Time to plug what I've been up to these last few weeks! I've been making
> Gaia. She's a sort of new breed... well, more of a new species.... on
fact,
> she's more like a new agent...or maybe...
>
> I'll start again. Gaia (Genetic Ark Interface Apparatus) is an intelligent
> shipboard computer, capable of controlling the Ark's ecosystem and
bioenergy
<snip>

joy!


-Ping
http://www.creatureslife.net
icq: 6283750
http://skizzers.org/ping/
email: Ping AT subdimension DOT com
[soy un perdedor]

Martha Brummett

unread,
May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
to
On Thu, 4 May 2000 11:03:33 +0100, "Lis Morris"
<lis.m...@shee.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I'll start again. Gaia (Genetic Ark Interface Apparatus) is an intelligent
>shipboard computer, capable of controlling the Ark's ecosystem and bioenergy

>levels. She also has her own needs and wants, and likes passing the time of
>day with the hand or other creatures. Unlike a normal creature, she is
>actually part of the ship, and therefore unable to move. She makes up for
>this, though, by being telekinetic!

Were you influenced by The Ship Who Sang, by any chance?

(Sounds great--may get back to C3 for it.)


Martha Brummett
new: mo...@tde.com
Denver CO

Lis Morris

unread,
May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
to

Martha Brummett <mo...@tde.com> wrote in message
news:39162e40...@news.tde.com...


Never read it, I'm afraid.. I was thinking more along the lines of 2001...
though Gaia is not quite that deranged!

Martha Brummett

unread,
May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
to
On Mon, 8 May 2000 10:51:22 +0100, "Lis Morris"
<lis.m...@shee.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Never read it, I'm afraid.. I was thinking more along the lines of 2001...
>though Gaia is not quite that deranged!

It's by Anne McCaffrey, _The Ship Who Sang_. Read it if you have
time--I'd think you'd enjoy it, and the premise is very close to
yours.

xOtix

unread,
May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
to
mo...@tde.com (Martha Brummett) <3916a17...@news.tde.com> on Mon 08
May 2000 07:16:53a, strode proudly front and centre in
alt.games.creatures and with appropriate gusto proclaimed:

>On Mon, 8 May 2000 10:51:22 +0100, "Lis Morris"
><lis.m...@shee.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Never read it, I'm afraid.. I was thinking more along the lines of
>>2001... though Gaia is not quite that deranged!
>
>It's by Anne McCaffrey, _The Ship Who Sang_. Read it if you have
>time--I'd think you'd enjoy it, and the premise is very close to
>yours.

Oh, that's a lovely story! Sigh... ::reminiscent smile::


--
xOtix
AGC Portrait Gallery:http://www.jannart.on.ca/agcgifs/agctoons.htm
"Life is too short to spend it on things or people
we have no passion for..." -me.
Creatures Community Advocate, ERFNB, ERFSU, & SUA ;`)
Fine Artist, Graphic Artist, Sprite/Animation Artist, Cartoonist
My [C2] COBs: Fruit Basket vendor, Toy-B-Gone spray.
& Carolyn Horn's "Slink's Specials": http://www.jannart.on.ca
AGC FAQs Archivist/ "Jus' Gimme ALL Th' Creatures FAQs"
http://www.jannart.on.ca/allcfaqs.htm
<x0tix*AT*my-dejanews.com>

John Ievins

unread,
May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
to
Lis Morris wrote:
> Martha Brummett wrote:

> > Lis Morris wrote:
> > >I'll start again. Gaia (Genetic Ark Interface Apparatus) is an
> intelligent
> > >shipboard computer, capable of controlling the Ark's ecosystem
and
> bioenergy
> > >levels. She also has her own needs and wants, and likes passing
the time
> of
> > >day with the hand or other creatures. Unlike a normal creature,
she is
> > >actually part of the ship, and therefore unable to move. She
makes up for
> > >this, though, by being telekinetic!
> >
> > Were you influenced by The Ship Who Sang, by any chance?
>
> Never read it, I'm afraid.. I was thinking more along the lines of
2001...
> though Gaia is not quite that deranged!

Holly from Red Dwarf gave me the idea of using C1/C2 neural network
technology to create a personality for my computer... like Gaia in my
room... I never thought of that idea, though... something I'll have to
be playing with, it seems...
--
John F. Ievins (aka The Grendel) The Elf Slayer
John Ievins is spelt with an i, not an L... Grrr!
Philosopher of Banana Religion & Rights
Member of The-Anti-Humour-Movement
Evil Scientist of Naven Experimentation (would anyone like to donate
any Navens to my labs? Please? Pretty-please?)
Owner of 1 AGC nutterfly
Project Leader, Team Leader & Mapper of 2048 Millenium Productions'
'War Sector X' Half Life Mod, available from
Http://www.millenium2048.co.uk
Creator of genetically engineered 'Norns' and 'Grendels', for the
'Creatures' series of games, available from
Http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Foothills/6184/
Creator of Creatures 3 COB's ranged between 24001 and 24050
Member of the Official AGC order of the Pnippers
Owner of The Inflatable Anti-Death Fork
Talker of gibberish
Remove 'Mr.vloomy.' to reply, or don't mail
---
Begin online Quotes here:
SnornL: If I had a life, would I insist I am an elf?

Werkz: I'm not saying that the cat does turn into pudding, mearly that
there are so many possible outcome that we have no way to confurm,
that either saying it does or doesn't, that you'll be wrong in using
your outcome as fact; which is basicly what Quantim Physics is...
Sotek: Werkz, the cat *can* turn into pudding.

Darcie

unread,
May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
to
<snip>
Ah, very cool Liz, very cool indeed. You are so creative :) I wish I
could think up neet things like that.... of corse at this point I
probubly couldn't program them eather, lol. :) Can't wait to see it.

-Darcie
--


Random Access:
http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/Dell/5828/index.html

Darcie's Creatures 3:
http://geocities.com/EnchantedForest/Dell/5828/creatures3/index.html

Adopt a Dragon:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Chamber/5446/dragon/index.htm

My Chicken Page:
http://geocities.com/Area51/Chamber/5446/chicken/index.html

I have 1 cheese point (A Creatures newsgroop game thing)

Darcie

unread,
May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
to
Lis Morris wrote:
>
> Martha Brummett <mo...@tde.com> wrote in message
> news:39162e40...@news.tde.com...
> > On Thu, 4 May 2000 11:03:33 +0100, "Lis Morris"
> > <lis.m...@shee.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > >I'll start again. Gaia (Genetic Ark Interface Apparatus) is an
> intelligent
> > >shipboard computer, capable of controlling the Ark's ecosystem and
> bioenergy
> > >levels. She also has her own needs and wants, and likes passing the time
> of
> > >day with the hand or other creatures. Unlike a normal creature, she is
> > >actually part of the ship, and therefore unable to move. She makes up for
> > >this, though, by being telekinetic!
> >
> > Were you influenced by The Ship Who Sang, by any chance?
> >
> > (Sounds great--may get back to C3 for it.)
> >
>
> Never read it, I'm afraid.. I was thinking more along the lines of 2001...
> though Gaia is not quite that deranged!
> --
> Lis Morris,
> Owner of the Palace:
> http://www.evilshee.co.uk
> 'Potatoes and shoelaces are our speciality'

Later that day:

Giai: Hello Liz


....

Darcie

unread,
May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
to
I Love Anne's books hee hee, I haven't read that one thouhg.

-Darcie

Darcie

unread,
May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
to
<snip>
Hee hee, thats such a wierd show.

Noigea

unread,
May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
to
><snip>
>Ah, very cool Liz, very cool indeed. You are so creative :) I wish I
>could think up neet things like that.... of corse at this point I
>probubly couldn't program them eather, lol. :) Can't wait to see it.
>
>-Darcie


Yes, it sounds very very cool indeed ;)

Hey, if that's possible, is it possible to make telekinetic norns? hmm...

--
Noigea (Purveyor of Surreality and Lord of Insectoid Fruit)
Proud owner of a Bag o' Greased Ferrets
***
scrp 2 25 1 1
snde burp
endm
***
(No tomatoes were hurt during the making of this script, but some became
flatulent.)

Shazza

unread,
May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
to

Martha Brummett wrote in message <3916a17...@news.tde.com>...

>On Mon, 8 May 2000 10:51:22 +0100, "Lis Morris"
><lis.m...@shee.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Never read it, I'm afraid.. I was thinking more along the lines of 2001...
>>though Gaia is not quite that deranged!
>
>It's by Anne McCaffrey, _The Ship Who Sang_. Read it if you have
>time--I'd think you'd enjoy it, and the premise is very close to
>yours.
>

I reckon *all* the Anne McCaffrey novels are worth reading!

I've read every one of them that I could gets my hands on and have
bought all the Dragon series as they came out :o)

Shazza
http://www.downunder.homecreatures.com/
Member of the AGC Order of Pnippers
"Go Forth and <Pnip>!"
Keeper of the AGC Nutterflies.
~sailes*AT*burcom dot com dot au~

Theo Spears

unread,
May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
to

"Noigea" <noi...@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20000508180913...@ng-da1.aol.com...

> Yes, it sounds very very cool indeed ;)
>
> Hey, if that's possible, is it possible to make telekinetic norns? hmm...

how do you mean telekinetic? There are various ways. The easist is just to
make the norns use signal chemicals, which are copied from one norn to
another. Receptor/emmiter combos can then be used.
The other way is much harder, and I'm trying, rather unsucessfully to get it
working. It involves reading a norn's brain and copying it to another norn.
It is hard because the output functions all write to file, so a load of
messy io is done, in addition to that you need caos functions to *manually*
convert 4 bytes into a float. not a pretty sight. In general the chemical
method is easier and quicker.

Oh, and I definitely agree, Gaia sounds *very* cool. To quot "Oh, the
possibilites!"


--
Theo Spears
--
Be Warned! - I use windows 2000
--
"Maybe right something me"
- A wolfling run norn
--
"Some people are alive because it's
illegal to shoot them." - IRC
--
"...we create our own divinities.
They're more reliable."
- Theo's Odyssey

Noigea

unread,
May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
to
>> Yes, it sounds very very cool indeed ;)
>>
>> Hey, if that's possible, is it possible to make telekinetic norns? hmm...
>
>how do you mean telekinetic? There are various ways. The easist is just to
>make the norns use signal chemicals, which are copied from one norn to
>another. Receptor/emmiter combos can then be used.
>The other way is much harder, and I'm trying, rather unsucessfully to get it
>working. It involves reading a norn's brain and copying it to another norn.
>It is hard because the output functions all write to file, so a load of
>messy io is done, in addition to that you need caos functions to *manually*
>convert 4 bytes into a float. not a pretty sight. In general the chemical
>method is easier and quicker.
>
>Oh, and I definitely agree, Gaia sounds *very* cool. To quot "Oh, the
>possibilites!"
>
>
>--
>Theo Spears

Wait a minute! Are you people talking about telepathy or telekinesis? Two
different things, you know.

Lis Morris

unread,
May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
to
That's telepathy, not telekinesis!
And yes, it's only the caos scripts that stop norns being telekinetic
anyway.. They force norns to walk up to objects like any normal beings.

Theo Spears <theo.sp...@BLOCKbtinternet.com> wrote in message
news:8f9j3n$1f4$1...@plutonium.btinternet.com...


>
> "Noigea" <noi...@aol.com> wrote in message
> news:20000508180913...@ng-da1.aol.com...
>

> > Yes, it sounds very very cool indeed ;)
> >
> > Hey, if that's possible, is it possible to make telekinetic norns?
hmm...
>
> how do you mean telekinetic? There are various ways. The easist is just to
> make the norns use signal chemicals, which are copied from one norn to
> another. Receptor/emmiter combos can then be used.
> The other way is much harder, and I'm trying, rather unsucessfully to get
it
> working. It involves reading a norn's brain and copying it to another
norn.
> It is hard because the output functions all write to file, so a load of
> messy io is done, in addition to that you need caos functions to
*manually*
> convert 4 bytes into a float. not a pretty sight. In general the chemical
> method is easier and quicker.
>
> Oh, and I definitely agree, Gaia sounds *very* cool. To quot "Oh, the
> possibilites!"
>
>
> --
> Theo Spears

Theo Spears

unread,
May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
to

"Lis Morris" <lis.m...@shee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:8f9r2s$n83$1...@plutonium.btinternet.com...

> That's telepathy, not telekinesis!
> And yes, it's only the caos scripts that stop norns being telekinetic
> anyway.. They force norns to walk up to objects like any normal beings.

<bangs head against wall>

it's a form of telekinesis, it's moving neurons in another norn's head.
Really!
I seem to remember there have been various telekinesis objects in the past,
from a bug in c1/c2 (I forget) where a norn teleported objects, to the C2
cob which does the same thing, they might be work looking at. Alternatively
there's the good old:

setv va01 posx
setv va02 posy
targ _it_
setv va03 wdth
divv va03 2
subv va01 va03
setv va03 hght
divv va03 2
subv va02 va03
mvto va01 va02

Which I think should teleport an object to a norn, when placed in one of
that norn's scripts. It may just be you just need to call the pickup scripts
though. I'm sure Noigea can find out.

<bangs head against wall>

Theo Spears

John Ievins

unread,
May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
to
Theo Spears wrote:
> > Yes, it sounds very very cool indeed ;)
> >
> > Hey, if that's possible, is it possible to make telekinetic norns?
hmm...
>
> how do you mean telekinetic? There are various ways. The easist is
just to
> make the norns use signal chemicals, which are copied from one norn
to
> another. Receptor/emmiter combos can then be used.
> The other way is much harder, and I'm trying, rather unsucessfully
to get it
> working. It involves reading a norn's brain and copying it to
another norn.
> It is hard because the output functions all write to file, so a load
of
> messy io is done, in addition to that you need caos functions to
*manually*
> convert 4 bytes into a float. not a pretty sight. In general the
chemical
> method is easier and quicker.

Ummm... you're thinking telepathy, not telekinises. Telepathy is
talking via thoughts, telekinisis is moving/using things via thoughts.

> Oh, and I definitely agree, Gaia sounds *very* cool. To quot "Oh,
the
> possibilites!"

I can't wait to start fiddling!

Noigea

unread,
May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
to

Although I appreciate the vote of confidence, I'm much too busy helping Studz
to go rooting around in the scriptorium! ;) But I do remember seeing a portion
of script that blocked the norn's activities unless it touched the object..

Dave

unread,
May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
to
What CPU are you running in your head now Lis? An Athlon. Your ideas seem to
be getting better and better. You're running at 1GHz now I'll bet, with
512Mb RAM and a JR-Logic board.

Anyway. Eough hardware talk, one.. two questions more though. Are you
creating any new species? What about those C3 Angel norns Ricardo promised
us you'd help him with??

Dave

<CUT MESSAGE ABOUT GAIA>

Lis Morris

unread,
May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00
to

Dave <da...@twisteduniverse.f9.co.uk> wrote in message
news:Y0lS4.997$J5.52890@stones...


Pester ricardo about that :-). Once he gets the sprites done, it'll be made
a reality!

Jon deMalo

unread,
May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00
to
On Thu, 4 May 2000 11:03:33 +0100, "Lis Morris"
<lis.m...@shee.demon.co.uk> wrote about [C3 PLUG] Coming soon:
Gaia!:

>Time to plug what I've been up to these last few weeks! I've been making
>Gaia. She's a sort of new breed... well, more of a new species.... on fact,
>she's more like a new agent...or maybe...
>

>I'll start again. Gaia (Genetic Ark Interface Apparatus) is an intelligent
>shipboard computer, capable of controlling the Ark's ecosystem and bioenergy
>levels. She also has her own needs and wants, and likes passing the time of
>day with the hand or other creatures. Unlike a normal creature, she is
>actually part of the ship, and therefore unable to move. She makes up for
>this, though, by being telekinetic!
>

>Gaia is currently in testing, and no bugs have been reported yet, so she
>should be out RSN!

Sounds good! It's such a pity I don't play C3 anymore...


Jon deMalo
-------------------------------------
j...@fullcircuit.com
-------------------------------------
Owner of Midgard: Tales of Albia
http://www.geocities.com/jon_demalo
-------------------------------------

Proud owner of:
1 AGC Nutterfly
1 AGC Cheese Point
300 Great Author Points

Keeper of the Greased Ferrets
Official AGC Foklore Dude
Owner of the thermo-nuclear ultra-atomic scorched-earth total-annihilation mega-death evil bone-crushing heat-seeking exploding patented muhahaha kill-kill-kill die-die-die gun.

"There are three rules for writing the novel. Unfortunately no-one knows what they are."
- W. Somerset Maugham

Dilbert: "We need to test it on someone expendable first."
Dogbert: "Ratbert!"

"In space, no-one can here you say bibble"
- www.uncovered.co.uk

"Well, there's only ONE way of finding out what high-voltage wiring tastes like!"
- Anon

Darcie

unread,
May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00
to

*Gasp! Why? It's so good, and you miss out on my prissy little
Pokemon!

chani3

unread,
May 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/12/00
to

"Darcie" <dc...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:391B29A5...@hotmail.com...

> Jon deMalo wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 4 May 2000 11:03:33 +0100, "Lis Morris"
> > <lis.m...@shee.demon.co.uk> wrote about [C3 PLUG] Coming soon:
> > Gaia!:
> >
<pinp>

aaahhh!!!!1!1!!!1!11!!! ::head explodes::
darcie... please... at least edit the sigs...

what happened to the editing faq? is someone still posting it? last time i
saw it was when i posted it... i thought someone said they'd post it...
hmm...

Jon deMalo

unread,
May 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/13/00
to
On Thu, 11 May 2000 17:44:05 -0400, Darcie <dc...@hotmail.com> wrote
about Re: [C3 PLUG] Coming soon: Gaia!:

<snip>


>*Gasp! Why? It's so good, and you miss out on my prissy little
>Pokemon!
>
>-Darcie

1) EDIT!!!1!!1!!
2) I don't like pokemon.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages