Norn dies all of a sudden

Basbal86

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
its weird, i was sitting there playing with my norn Trudy, and then all of a
sudden she died! for some reason, she has went unconscious a lot of times, and
i was able to get her back her consciousness (is that spelled right?) but that
also confused me. Its not like she was getting beat up or anything, could it
be she didnt like the temperature where the ettin lives? or that she didnt
like the food? Please help me a little with this, because her mate seems fine
down there. thanks.

*~~Danny~~*
Basb...@aol.com
visit my site! http://www.expage.com/page/creaures2ishere

~~A message about me in Spanish~~
Amo animales! Están fresca! También tengo gusto de jugar a Criaturas, y con mi
perro Sophie.

xOtix

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
On 26 Aug 1999 01:33:38 GMT, nearing the new millennium,
basb...@aol.com (Basbal86) gave us the dubious benefit of their
wisdom thusly:

>its weird, i was sitting there playing with my norn Trudy, and then all of a
>sudden she died! for some reason, she has went unconscious a lot of times, and
>i was able to get her back her consciousness (is that spelled right?) but that
>also confused me. Its not like she was getting beat up or anything, could it
>be she didnt like the temperature where the ettin lives? or that she didnt
>like the food? Please help me a little with this, because her mate seems fine
>down there. thanks.

sounds like she may have eaten one of those giant mushrooms. She
didn't by any chance say "Tredy eat weed" or "badplant" at any point?

xOtix/Jande Roox/O.krah.dOh

Agc OOC Quotes:
"Thanks heavens for Bean's Bathroom! ;`D - Moiself {don't ask!}

"/me is a figment of your emygination.
It's "EMYgination", not imagination. It's not funny without the emygination ;)"- Emy

"Tama-gucci... Designer Tamagotchis that do the same thing but
just cost 10x more... ;)" -Indigo

"If you don't like the atmosphere [here]
go breath vacuum!" -Bill Murray

"ARGH! Please edit your posts!" -The Goddess Emy

W Zierath

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
>its weird, i was sitting there playing with my norn Trudy, and then all of a
>sudden she died!

The various creatures do die of old age. When this happens the creature can go
from fine health to death without any indication of decline. If Trudy was 5
hours, 20 minutes or 10 hours, 40 minutes old, she died of old age. This is
just a suggestion of a possible reason.

William Zierath

invisible girl

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
William Zierath writes:

>If Trudy was 5
>hours, 20 minutes or 10 hours, 40 minutes old, she died of old age.

Why the 5:20 and 10:40 marks?

Elizabeth
--How do I set a laser printer to "Stun"?--

W Zierath

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
>>If Trudy was 5
>>hours, 20 minutes or 10 hours, 40 minutes old, she died of old age.
>
>Why the 5:20 and 10:40 marks?

THe short answer is that the game was designed that way.

Aging in any of the C2 creatures is a function of the decay of a chemical
called "Life". At certain mileposts in the decay of Life, the creature normally
ages. If a creature reaches adolescence (and is able to breed) in a given
number of minutes, it will usually age from senility to death in eight times
that number of minutes. Typically, an Ettin reaches adolescence in 10 minutes
and dies after 80 minutes (one hour, 20 minutes). A Grendel reaches adolescence
after 20 minutes and dies after 160 minutes (2 hours, 40 minutes). Most
hatchery Norns reach adolescence after 40 minutes and die after 320 minutes (5
hours, 20 minutes), but the Golden Desert Norns reach adolescence after 80
minutes (1 hour , 20 minutes) and die after 640 minutes (10 hours, 40 minutes).

Aging doesn't always proceed as planned. If a creature lacks the gene to pass
from one age to the next its developement may be stalled. This can result is
anything from a baby that lives a long life but never grows up to a senile Norn
who can't die of old age because it can't age to death. The decay rate is also
subject to mutation. I once had a norn that aged eight times as fast as an
Ettin and died of old age at 10 minutes.

I do not know why the game designers chose to make it such that the only way to
increase a life span was to double it and the only way to decrease it was to
half it.

By the way, you can extend a creature's life by injecting it with Life. You
have to have powered up the Science Kit and the advanced science kit to inject
Life. I don't know how much longer a norn will live for each injection, since I
never experimented with this.

William Zierath

Dennis Humpert

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99

Basbal86 wrote:

> its weird, i was sitting there playing with my norn Trudy, and then all of a
> sudden she died!

Yes this sounds like Death of Old Age, but please read the rest.

> for some reason, she has went unconscious a lot of times, and
> i was able to get her back her consciousness (is that spelled right?) but that
> also confused me.

This sounds more like some internal organ or brain failure that was
temporarily fixed with a Metabolism injection until the effects of the
injection wore off. Many time if breeds are mixed, or the Cyberlife
Original Genomes are used, Non-viable offspring are produced. Due to
mismatches between genomes and/or faulty genes in the original genomes
often cause this kind of reaction. Especially if a version of Holo doc
is running in the game, Holo doc tries valiantly to save the norn but
eventually the norn suddenly dies. In real life these types of genetic
defects would not even have hatched, but in our digital world all eggs
hatch. Either way the faulty genetics are prevented from entering future
generations.

Dennis of Nornophite http://clik.to/dennis

Never be afraid to try. Remember, the Ark was built by amateurs, the
Titanic by Professionals!

*Note to Emy* did i edit this right?

xOtix

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
On 26 Aug 1999 07:23:58 GMT, nearing the new millennium,
wzie...@aol.comUmmidia (W Zierath) gave us the dubious benefit of
their wisdom thusly:

>>>If Trudy was 5

>>>hours, 20 minutes or 10 hours, 40 minutes old, she died of old age.
>>
>>Why the 5:20 and 10:40 marks?
>
>THe short answer is that the game was designed that way.
>
>Aging in any of the C2 creatures is a function of the decay of a chemical
>called "Life".

[snipped excellent description]

That was very clear, William. I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for
passing along your findings in such an easy to understand fashion.
:`)

And thanks to Elizabeth for asking the question. :`)

invisible girl

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
William Zierath explains:

>Most
>hatchery Norns reach adolescence after 40 minutes and die after 320 minutes
>(5
>hours, 20 minutes), but the Golden Desert Norns reach adolescence after 80
>minutes (1 hour , 20 minutes)

Thank you! That explains a "problem" I had - that wasn't a problem. I'd only
seriously bred Golden Desert norns before I started breeding Novas, and when I
was trying a genetic experiment with the Novas, I thought I'd somehow screwed
up the lifeline of the creatures because they aged so fast.

nicho...@my-deja.com

Aug 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/27/99
I think that your norn likely ate a deadly cap mushroom that grows in
the area it sounds like glytoxin poisining. Or maby it was a puffball?

In article <19990825213338...@ng-cb1.aol.com>,

basb...@aol.com (Basbal86) wrote:
> its weird, i was sitting there playing with my norn Trudy, and then
all of a

> sudden she died! for some reason, she has went unconscious a lot of

times, and
> i was able to get her back her consciousness (is that spelled right?)
but that

> also confused me. Its not like she was getting beat up or anything,
could it
> be she didnt like the temperature where the ettin lives? or that she
didnt
> like the food? Please help me a little with this, because her mate
seems fine
> down there. thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Richard King

Aug 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/27/99
>Its not like she was getting beat up or anything, could it
be she didnt like the temperature where the ettin lives?

Don't the Ettins live in/near the volcanoe? She could of died of metal
poisioning... I tried it once on one of my norns... Took five minutes from
the injection. One seconds AOK, the Things started lighting up for two
seconds, then she was dead. I have since revived her, and because she has no
organs (or brain), but continues to live, I have named her ZNorn (Zombie
Norn). I have checked for the highlander (or Zeus) gene which cause
immortality, but could not find it. I find this very interesting, and have
retried the experiement, with little success (as in none. All norn die, non
come back from the dead).
If this has ever happened before... Talk to me.. We can compare notes.

'R'

"Mastery is not perfection, but rather a journey, and a true master must be
willing to try and fail, and try again." George Leonard - Mastery

Lynn Smith

Aug 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/29/99
Umm, you don't have to brag about being able to speak in spanish.