hi

Dolphn101

Nov 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/2/97

Hi i need help installing COBs Can you help me?

Dolphn101

Nov 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/2/97

Dolphn101

Nov 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/2/97

HI do you no how to install COBs

DJs Red 1

Nov 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/3/97

>Hi i need help installing COBs Can you help me?

Am I the only one on AOL (note that only AOL users have done this to us so far)
that isn't part of the conspiracy to send thousands of almost identical
messages to this newsgroup?
Daljit (ICQ# 3206846)

Nornan: Nornan PUSH hydrogen bomb
Daljit: Push no!
Nornan: Get yes hydrogen bomb!
BOOM!
Nornan: Ow!

MirarFenix

Nov 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/4/97

djs...@aol.com (DJs Red 1) writes:

>Am I the only one on AOL (note that only AOL users have done this to us so
>far)
> that isn't part of the conspiracy to send thousands of almost identical
> messages to this newsgroup?

No, you are not. But then I've been on and off the net since before the web
was ever heard of, and should know better (I hope). If the people involved
are using AOL's news reader to post, I don't see how multiple copies of a
message could be sent out just by pressing the send button. You would pretty
much have to cut and paste the body of your posting and retype the subject,
hence the variation in subjects. Of course this is conjecture, I am not rude
enough to do a test.

Mira

Danmbro

Nov 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/4/97

>>Hi i need help installing COBs Can you help me?
>
>Am I the only one on AOL (note that only AOL users have done this to us so
>far)
> that isn't part of the conspiracy to send thousands of almost identical
> messages to this newsgroup?
>Daljit (ICQ# 3206846)
>
>Nornan: Nornan PUSH hydrogen bomb
>Daljit: Push no!
>Nornan: Get yes hydrogen bomb!
>BOOM!
>Nornan: Ow!

The 'management' said that there would be some not affected, you must come with
me to be 'conditioned'.

Danny B

AOL slave No.72440987

DJs Red 1

Nov 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/4/97

>>Am I the only one on AOL (note that only AOL users have done this to us so
>>far)
>> that isn't part of the conspiracy to send thousands of almost identical
>> messages to this newsgroup?
>The 'management' said that there would be some not affected, you must come
>with
> me to be 'conditioned'.

Ahhh! Run dat!

Katie Owen

Nov 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/6/97

DJs Red 1 wrote:

> >>Am I the only one on AOL (note that only AOL users have done this to us so
> >>far)
> >> that isn't part of the conspiracy to send thousands of almost identical
> >> messages to this newsgroup?
> >The 'management' said that there would be some not affected, you must come
> >with
> > me to be 'conditioned'.
>
> Ahhh! Run dat!
> Daljit (ICQ# 3206846)

You must be assimilated into the collective...

Katie

Katie Owen

Nov 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/6/97

DJs Red 1 wrote:

> >Hi i need help installing COBs Can you help me?
>
> Am I the only one on AOL (note that only AOL users have done this to us so far)
> that isn't part of the conspiracy to send thousands of almost identical
> messages to this newsgroup?
> Daljit (ICQ# 3206846)

Re AOL users and "unfortunate" behavior: I think it is because AOL
keeps flooding the US postal system with their "free" disks and CDs.
The last two I got were in orange and yellow packages that looked
suspiciously like laundry detergent...Maybe AOL makes getting online for
the first time a little too easy?

When my sister first started using the net, she used AOL. After she
cancelled with them, they kept billing her credit card for three
months! She got very tired of calling her card company to get the
charges removed. Since then, I've heard similar tales from other
people. I really don't care for a company that uses such tactics.

Katie

ChrisD1

Nov 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/7/97

>When my sister first started using the net, she used AOL. After she
>cancelled with them, they kept billing her credit card for three
>months! She got very tired of calling her card company to get the
>charges removed. Since then, I've heard similar tales from other
>people. I really don't care for a company that uses such tactics.

It says in the instuctions when you are installing AOL that if you do not want
to keep using the service YOU are responsible forcalling them not yourcredit
card company! I for one have never had ANY trouble with AOL.!

Shon
Chr...@aol.com
E-mail me anytime!

LadyBug592

Nov 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/7/97

>It says in the instuctions when you are installing AOL that if you do not
>want
> to keep using the service YOU are responsible forcalling them not yourcredit
> card company! I for one have never had ANY trouble with AOL.!

I have had trouble with AOL in the past. I called them 3 times and asked them
to cancel and they kept billing my card.
But for some reason I keep coming back so I guess I can't complain that much.
~Ladybug
-Ladybug
Sign my guestbook and win a free webpage :-)
http://www.lbweb.com

DJs Red 1

Nov 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/7/97

>You must be assimilated into the collective...

Insolent biological entity. You dare to attempt to assimilate a member of the
NORN collective? This insult will not go unanswered.

I am Human of NORN, leader of the NORN collective. Your life as you knew it is
over. Your technological, biological, and nornilogical identities will be
added to our own. AOL is irrelevant. Insults are irrelevant. Bibble is
irrelvent. Boop. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

(To legions of NORN) Assimilate her. ::sounds of norns bibble-ing and running
towards Katie::
};)

Katie Owen

Nov 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/8/97

Katie: You must be assimilated into the collective...

Daljit: Insolent biological entity. You dare to attempt to assimilate a

member of the NORN collective? This insult will not go unanswered. I am
Human of NORN, leader of the NORN collective. Your life as you knew it
is over. Your technological, biological, and nornilogical identities
will be added to our own. AOL is irrelevant. Insults are irrelevant.
Bibble is irrelvent. Boop. Resistance is futile. You will be
assimilated. (To legions of NORN) Assimilate her. ::sounds of norns
bibble-ing and running towards Katie::

Katie: Surround Ma-ee-hah, my children! Together we shall assimilate
our opponents, take their finest mutations into our collective, and
strengthen ourselves! We shall teach this uneducated bibble with our
EN2s and convert them to the true path of norn-ness! We shakll save
them from their ignorance! Call forth the most frightening gene-twisted
norns of all - the "Cuddlies"! Those weaklings of the so-called "NORN
collective" shall flee in terror (well, really from being overcrowded)
from the Cuddlies! (I know this sounds strange, but the Cuddlies are
really much more disturbing to normal norns than the most aggressive and
slap-happy norns) We will bring you to the one true path of norn-ness!
:: hundreds of maned norns gathering around Katie, and a cheerful pack
of VERY affectinate norns racing toward their new "friends"...

DJs Red 1

Nov 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/9/97

Daljit: We are emotionless. The NORN collective does not respond to cuddlies.
Slapping is irrelevant. Aggressive norns are irrelevant. Our ENC3 abilities
far outstrip your pathetic EN2. YOU are uneducated bibble. NORN, fire the
assimilation gas. ::The NORN collective fires the assimilation gas into the
oncoming frenzy of Cuddlies. They undergo the priliminary stages of
assimilation and preserved for full assimilation later:: Katie of Species 5,
you and the remainder of your kind will be assimilated. ::5,000 of the NORN
stay behind to finish assimilation of the cuddlies while the first wave of
100,000 NORN attack Species 5. A signal is sent out to the NORN Hands. The
ships come in firing enhanced stun guns.:: Your children are irrelivent. You
will be assimilated.

slink

Nov 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/9/97

On 9 Nov 1997 00:00:25 GMT, djs...@aol.com (DJs Red 1) wrote:

>::5,000 of the NORN +
>
> 100,000 NORN

>Daljit (ICQ# 3206846)

Boy, have *you* been injecting clones!

Sandra

http://www.netins.net/showcase/slink/

DJs Red 1

Nov 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/9/97

>>::5,000 of the NORN +
>>
>> 100,000 NORN
>Boy, have *you* been injecting clones!

Clones are irrelevant. You will be asimilated too!

Katie Owen

Nov 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/9/97

Katie and the Children of Ma-ee-hah stare in amazement at the 105,000
norns who
S L O W L Y
creep toward them.
Unable to do anything but laugh, they watch the "NORN collective"
struggles against that terrible natural force known as SYSTEM LAG.
"Perhaps, my children," says Katie, "we do not want to assimilate such a
mob. We want to breed smarter and healthier norns within us, not just
more fertile norns." The Cuddlies run up to the members of the "NORN
collective". "run norn", "push norn" they cry. But those norns are far
to slow to respond. The Children of Ma-ee-hah can only "look norn" at
the Norn collective. Katie looks at the leader of the pathetically slow
and creeping mob. "You need our knowledge," she tells him, offering him
a bag of ugly tomatos with yellow spots.

Sparrow

Nov 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/9/97

DJs Red 1 wrote:
> <conversation snipped to here because of picky newsreader>

>Daljit: We are emotionless. The NORN collective does not respond to
>cuddlies.
>Slapping is irrelevant. Aggressive norns are irrelevant. Our ENC3
>abilities
>far outstrip your pathetic EN2. YOU are uneducated bibble. NORN, fire the
>assimilation gas. ::The NORN collective fires the assimilation gas into
>the
>oncoming frenzy of Cuddlies. They undergo the priliminary stages of
>assimilation and preserved for full assimilation later:: Katie of Species
>5,
>you and the remainder of your kind will be assimilated. ::5,000 of the NORN
>stay behind to finish assimilation of the cuddlies while the first wave of
>100,000 NORN attack Species 5. A signal is sent out to the NORN Hands. The
>ships come in firing enhanced stun guns.:: Your children are irrelivent.
>You will be assimilated.

Sparrow: Assimilate this! *pulls out an assault cannon and pulls the trigger*

Sparrow: AAH! The warranty just ran out, too! Wait.. no plasma cartridges..
Phew! It still works! *pulls trigger*

Sparrow: Oh yeah.. no plasma cartridges.. uh, bye! Sparrow run cuddlies!

--
"flame no"

Sparrow's Creatures page:
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Lair/8726/nornmain.htm

Katie Owen

Nov 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/9/97

Katie: You must be assimilated into the collective...

Daljit: Insolent biological entity. You dare to attempt to assimilate a
member of the NORN collective? This insult will not go unanswered. I am
Human of NORN, leader of the NORN collective. Your life as you knew it
is over. Your technological, biological, and nornilogical identities
will be added to our own. AOL is irrelevant. Insults are irrelevant.
Bibble is irrelvent. Boop. Resistance is futile. You will be
assimilated. (To legions of NORN) Assimilate her. ::sounds of norns
bibble-ing and running towards Katie::

---

[...]

Daljit: Your diminished mental capabilities and irrlevant emotions have
lead to your downfall. while your pathetic excuse for a species was
looking and pushing norn, our real NORN army has been surrounding you
via the new Cable modems being run off of a computer with a polyprocesor
mother board with 5 500 MHz chips and 1000+ RAM. Your lack of attention
has also made you look foolish. Your "Cuddlies" have already been
assimilated. But your shortcomings will be corrected once you are
integrated into our collective. Ugly tomatoes are irrelevant. System
lag is irrelevant. Do not engage us in further idle conversation in an
attempt to avoid your fate. Secret NORN armies, assimilate them!
::Members of the NORN collective pour out of teh gateways created by the
magical cable modems (which offer a 10 MB/sec transfer rate) and storm
the insolent Species 5. Screams of run norn are heard, but they go
unanswered as the Children of Ma-ee-hah are assimilated into the
collective. Daljit stands above the body of the leader of Species 5, as
she is held down by members of her former army. She looks up in terror
to see Daljit saying "YOU are irrelevant." He motions for them to pick
her up. They do so and she has the honor (one which she does not
deserve) of being assimilated by Daljit of NORN. Her screams of terror
end shortly. Her assimilation, along with the rest of Species 5 is
total and complete. The bodies of the memebrs of Species 5 who resisted
too much are disposed of. They climb into the hand ships and fly off,
back to their supercomputer::

---

"Those were our stunt doubles, you fools!"

---

Reports flow into Ma-ee-hah HQ. Katie is being updated by several of
the Children's top military leaders...

Grah :Guerilla grendels have successfully accomplished their mission -
injecting the "happy gas" COB into the shared reality of the "NORN
collective."

Ari :Earlier attempts to alter the food and drinks failed; it was
discovered that members of NORN are not regular eaters. Reports
concerning "norn push wall" "weed yes" and "boop" strongly support the
conclusion that the hallucinatory compounds have done their job.

Grah :These poor deluded norns even think the wondrous Creatures.exe
can take advantage of multiple CPUs! According to the information
services of NORN, their leader is convinced that we have fallen! Little
does he know... And why do they insist on calling us "Species 5"? Not
all of the Children are norns! Species-biased cloned freaks! What are
they planning to do, assimilate the norns and turn us into static? Grah
gruumph NORN!

Katie reminds herself to give the guerilla grendels extra honey-pot
rations. And to send in a norn to beat them - they really like that.
Calms them down a little.

Ari :Many norns witnessed members of the NORN collective returning to
their odd mover-hand things and being exported. We need to consider
research programs to track down their .gen files and eradicate this
plague once and for all.

Grah :Once we have norn members of the collective who are bright enough
to do research, of course.

Ari : Ari angry <SMACK>

Grah : heheh... There have also been several unconfirmed reports from
scouts of Cuddly squads concerning sitings of space marines with assault
cannons. This could be the foreshadowing of an invasion...

DJs Red 1

Nov 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/9/97

While Katie mulls this new information over, she sends both her advisors away
to be beaten by a norn, much to Ari's annoyence. She seems to have yet again
confused grendles with norns. It's no wonder the NORN opperatives were able
to sneak in undetected. She is unaware of the new troubles plaguing her
little realm. Her advisors are actually NORN opperatvies, and there are many
more sneaking throught her realm, sabatouging it and assimilating others.
After the first stunt double incident, the collective has eradicated all other
stunt doubles, even a few Katie didn't know she had. The advisors had been
feeding her false information all through the meeting, excpet for the space
marine sighting. All patrols that were sent against the NORN were quickly
assimilated. All attempts to inject things detrimental into the collective's
reality were stopped.

Daljit: Are all of the newly assimilated space marines (Species 6) in
position?

3 of 7: Yes. All other units are in position as well. The handships are
joining into 500 units, according to plan. There is still a vast fleet of
handships and NORN guarding the homecomputer.

Daljit: What of the spies that were sent to infiltrate us?

3 of 7: They have been assimilated. Species 5 is a foolish species. They do
not realize that anyone posing as a member will not be felt in the group mind
and that they are assimilated.

Daljit: Yes, they do need enlightenment. But their COB identities will prove
useful once they are assimilated.

3 of 7: Our spies have reported that the Katie entity does not understand our
"Species 5" classification for them.

Daljit: How can they? Their mental capacities are no where near our own.
Have all their key scientists been assimilated?

3 of 7: Yes. All is ready for the invasion to begin.

Daljit: Excellent. Tell the Hand ships to open up the cable jumpgates and
proceed with the attack.

3 of 7: The command has gone out.

Daljit: Inform us when the attack is over. Now join the otehrs.

The attack goes smoothly, and despite some heavy resistance, which turned out
to be futile, Species 5 wa overrun in a matter of hours and all inside were
assimilated, including Katie.

3 of 7: The attack is over.

Daljit: We require a full report.

3 of 7: After encountering initial heavy resistance, which turned out to be
futile, we were able to destroy them. Line noise was sent in to block all
their electronic escape routes. All subterranian spaces were destroyed and
the perimeter was sealed. All trying to escape were assimilated or destroyed.

Daljit: And what of the Katie entitiy?

3 of 7: Assimilated.

Daljit: Assimilate all useful materials on their planet into the collective
and destroy Species 5's former planet.

3 of 7: It has already been done. Nothing left the planet except the
handships, which contained only collective members. Species 5 is totally
eradicated.

Daljit: Did you make sure all the extra stunt doubles were destroyed?

3 of 7: We oversaw the opperation ourselves.

Daljit: Good. Recall all ships to the homecomputer. And change the access
codes to
9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 alphanumeric long strings. No
one outside the collective can decode that.

3 of 7: We are doing this now. . . . . . . . . . . It is done.

Daljit: Good. Now go to the repair bays and oversee the repairs on the
damaged members. One more thing. Make sure all .exp, .gen, .att, .spr, and
all other files of Species 5 are destroyed. No trace of them must remain to
be cloned.

3 of 7: We have issued the orders through the group mind and it is being done.
Species 5 is now irrelevant.

DJs Red 1

Nov 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/9/97

> [...]

armies, assimilate them!

::Members of the NORN collective pour out of teh gateways created by the
magical cable modems (which offer a 10 MB/sec transfer rate) and storm the
insolent Species 5. Screams of run norn are heard, but they go unanswered as
the Children of Ma-ee-hah are assimilated into the collective. Daljit stands
above the body of the leader of Species 5, as she is held down by members of
her former army. She looks up in terror to see Daljit saying "YOU are
irrelevant." He motions for them to pick her up. They do so and she has the
honor (one which she does not deserve) of being assimilated by Daljit of NORN.
Her screams of terror end shortly. Her assimilation, along with the rest of
Species 5 is total and complete. The bodies of the memebrs of Species 5 who
resisted too much are disposed of. They climb into the hand ships and fly

LadyBug592

Nov 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/9/97

you guys are great! I love this..keep it going

Karma

Nov 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/11/97

How come I haven't seen this thread before? Love it!

--
Karma
Creatures on the Web

Katie Owen

Nov 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/11/97

[...]

In a universe far, far, away...

A small furry quadreped, while chasing another similar creature,
accidently disconnects a plug from its power source. A larger biped
notices, and reconnects that plug -and another (which the biped
accidently thinks was disconnected along with the first). Shooing the
quadreped from the area, the biped doesn't notice what has just been set
in motion...

A hard drive spins up to speed. The system begins to "boot up" and
several programs activate. Following instructions written long ago,
the system joins itself to the local LAN. The LAN administrator would
be amazed at the sudden abuse of bandwidth and CPU cycles (if he wasn't
quite so busy arguing with someone about how poor the coffee was).
Using the LAN's identity as cover, and its gateway security for its own
purposes, this reawakened system begins to search the internet for
certain files...and finds them!

Long forgotten files hidden from poorly trained SystemAdmins by the
simple use of file names beginning with "." become active for the first
time in years. Webpages that haven't been updated in years are touched
- and the data encrypted within them is used. Thousands of users of
Microsoft Office see a message box appear; "Please insert disk KT.bkp".

"Search" programs are released. They locate a system capable of running
the software needed. Certain files are moved to the new system and
begin to operate. Data collection agents are spawned to gather a
history of what has occured since the system had last been active. The
few Children of Ma-ee-hah who have escaped assimilation (or
annihilation?) by the NORN collective are located and returned to the
bibble. A carefully screened search for an incredibly overtaxxed system
connected to the internet with magic cable modems is successfully
completed... Preparations complete, the system activates the final
programs.

KATIE LIVES! HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

After examining the history the data agents have gathered, she begins
planning. (Oh yes, they WILL pay!) Multiple albias are spawned on
thousands of underutilized systems. (Many a norn is hatched on the
computer of some golf-playing executive.) Massive breeding programs are
enacted. Subliminal messages displayed on the monitors of several of
the finest Creatures gene-hackers are used to enlist much-needed
expertise. Many of the finest of the Ma-ee-hah .gen files are taken
from hiding and used (It is really amazing what you can hide when you
encrypt and zip an entire directory.) The finest of COBs are sought and
kept ready. Creature education programs eat up more CPU cycles than the
finest of 3D enhanced game engines. Once the armies of Ma-ee-hah are
busy redesigning and reconstructing themselves, Katie turns to her
favorite compilers and begins using her knowledge to create a terrible
vengence...after reseeding the necessary programs to rebuild the system
known as "KATIE" should another such downfall occur (The key to
immortality is to always prepare for the worst.)

A small program masquerading as a Cookie is snuck into a frequently
admired Creatures web page. Taking advantage of the fact that cable
modems only enhance communication in ONE direction, bibbles and bibbles
of norns (and more than a few grendels) flood into the home system of
the NORN collective cutting off all escape! Uncaring of their own
existances (for they know their immortality is assured,) they bring all
manner of disease and toxic secretions into the NORN collective.
Specially designed COBs are released which do no harm to ordinary norns,
but...Daljit deeply regrets assimilating the Children of Ma-ee-hah when
he learns the extent that certain normally-latent genes were spread
throughout the collective. Members of the NORN collective dissolve into
meaningless electrons. Alone, in body and in thought for the first time
in eons, the only remaining member of the NORN collective stands in
shock.

Katie laughs as two grendel Children hold the traumatized Daljit
helpless. "You can never truly defeat me. I will always exist - the
Internet has made sure of that!" To her followers she says "Destroy his
files. The .gen, the .exp, everything! And any encrypted files.
Search his programs for hints to any outside systems where he may have
files stored (Thanks AOL for making this so easy!) and destroy them."

Turning back to Daljit, she says, "You have proved a worthy opponent.
But what you built was flawed. I have erased your mistakes. Begin
again, with nothing but the CD and internet access! I look forward to
the entertainment your efforts bring me."

The Children leave the bereft Daljit staring into his blank monitor.

("Ma-ee-hah, do you really think he will recover?" "Of course. He is
strong and his understanding of bibble is great. The results of this
conflict will, in time, create better and better norns. I am doing this
for you, my norns.")
---

DJs Red 1

Nov 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/11/97

The Katie entity's diminshed mental powers again lead her to underestimate the
extent of the NORN colective. The NORN collective had, in the time the
resurected Katie entity had been making her plans, been doing planning of
their own. Their assimilation of a new type of back-up drive (the only one in
existance) and a holographic emmiter (again, the only one) helped the NORN
collective move to a higher plane of existance. The back up device (codenamed
Terradrive) is able to backup memmory at the rate of one terrabyte per second,
onto disks capable of holding a thousand terrabytes. The software assimilated
with the Terradrive keeps it on a continuous backing up loop. Every time a
backup is complete, it begins a new one.
Using the holographic emiter, Daljit escapes into the world of Species 4. They
call themselves human. He assimilates all in the structure he escaped into.
The called thi structure the White House. Daljit would have to do something
about that name. He liked the sound of the NORN House. But that could wait.
He journeyed to a land that was called New York. Surveying this place he
decided it would be the Colelctive's capitol in this world. He located the
NORN supercomputer on an island.

Retriving the Terradrive's disks, he used them to recreate the legions of the
NORN collective. He then brought them all out into the real world. They soon
assimilated the entire place called New York and set up perimeter defenses
around it's boarders. They sent out a secret team to all the entities that
have ever engaged in genetic engineering, on Spicies 5 or on norns. They were
assimilated and made to perfect the genome of the NORN collective. Now,
anyone asimilated would have all impurities in their genetics cleansed.

Looking back at the Terradrive's disks, the collective saw that they not only
contained backups of the NORN, but also of everything else that was in the
homecomputer, including the Katie entity's armies when the invaded. He
restored their backups and then assimilated them. He restored all the backups
ever made using the Terradrive and soon it was clear more space would be
needed.

The newly strengthned NORN collective assimilated everything on the planet,
including the planet itself, every organic and inorganic object, including all
of teh Species that inhabited the world. All was assimilated except the small
location of the Katie entity's computer. that was shielded using a newly
developed technology -- a metaphasic sheild, which prevented anything from
passing in or out.

While the Katie entity was contained, the rest of the solar system was
assimilated. Other species piced up many spacial distortions and came to see
what was causing them. They found the NORN collective. While the NORN
collective was powerful, they could not defeat an entire galaxy at once. All
the species that were resident in teh galaxy sent a representative to the NORN
HQ. There, they were told of the Katie entitiy. These new spacefarring
entities said they had heard of the Katie entity.

The NORN colelctive would have been shocked, had they not had their emptions
turned off at the time. The United Planets of the Milky Way, they called
themselves, had once heard of a Katie entity. It was responsible for exiling
the another species called the Shee into the Milky Way. It then spread rumors
about disk shapped plaents not satisfying the Shee. The Shee had gone off
into the Milky Way, and remained hidden for a while. When the emmerged, they
showed all the other species in the galaxy peaceful ways to do things.

So was born the United Planets of the Milky Way (UPMW). They included every
advanced spacefaring race, in the galaxy. Whenever a new race would pass the
requirement, they would be brought in. The NORN recognized this as a
primitive collective of sorts. Daljit then asked the UPMW to consider letting
themselves be assimilated. Together, they would be unstopable.

After a short delibaration, the UPMW agreed. They were all assimilated, and
the NORN collective spread across the galaxy. Even the primitive races were
brought in. Now everthing in the Milky Way was assimilated, except for the
Katie entities computer. Daljit went over to the computer and assimlated all
the cables except the power cord.

Daljit: You have been neutralized. You will be assimilated.

Katie: (in a frantic, hysterical, crazed voice) Noooooooooo! The Children of
Ma-ee-hah are backed up, they will come back!

Daljit: All has been assimilated except this terminal. If we had our emotions
on, we would gloat. After considering if we should let you rot here in your
insanity, we have decided to assimilate you. The NORN Collective never wished
to cause harm. We were proviked by your threat of assimilation and we had to
react. But despite your attack, you will be assimilated and welcomed into the
collective.

Katie: Nooooooooo!!! Ma-ee-hah!!!! I'm melting, what a world.....

Daljit: Denial is irrelevent. Ma-ee-hah is irrelevent. Melting and worlds
are irrelevant. You will be assimilated.

And she was. Time went on and technology developed. Eventually, other
galaxies became aware of the NORN and asked to be allowed into the collective.
Slowly, the entire universe was assimilated.

Once, on old Earth, scientists predicted the universe would eventually shrink
into itself, as an oppositge effect of what they called the big bang. This
shrinking did begin to happen, but the NORN techology was so advanced, that
the shrinkage was stopped. But this had some unanticipated results.

The fact that the universe's size was no longer changing, brought problems to
otehr dimensions. All other existing planes, dimmension, and everything, even
the place where all souls go after deah merged into the home universe of the
NORN. They new races were terrified at first, but seeing the peace of the
NORN Collective, they too wanted to be asimilated. And they were.

After the last assimilation came the Golden Age. All was peaceful, all was
perfect. The Ancient Earth term "Heaven on Earth" could not begin to describe
the conditions. Anyone with a mentality lower than that of the NORN
Collective could not understand. But it did not matter, since the NORN
Collective was all. Even Katie grew to like it, and she wondered why she had
ever fought against the NORN to begin with. She recalled some of her words
before her assimilation:

"I am doing this for you, my norns."

She now realized that norns had become perfect, and that her desire to make
them so was satiated. She let go of any ill will that may have existed even
to this day, and embraced the collective anew. She found peace beyond
contentment. She even subjected herself to a complete brain restructuring, so
she would never ever pose any threat to anyone. The collective removed her
brain, took out all negative feelings and the capability to have negative
feelings. They returned the newly restructured brain to Katie.

All was good. All was perfect. All was NORN.

Katie Owen

Nov 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/11/97

Ari : Ari angry <SMACK>

3 of 7: Assimilated.

KATIE LIVES! HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

the NORN collective! Uncaring of their own existances (for they know

their immortality is assured,) they bring all manner of disease and
toxic secretions into the NORN collective. Specially designed COBs are
released which do no harm to ordinary norns, but...Daljit deeply regrets
assimilating the Children of Ma-ee-hah when he learns the extent that
certain normally-latent genes were spread throughout the collective.
Members of the NORN collective dissolve into meaningless electrons.

Alone, the only remaining member of the NORN collective stands in shock.

Katie laughs as two grendel Children hold the speechless Daljit

---
Unfortunately for the NORN collective, their actions fell in perfectly
with Katie's plans. BWAH HA HA HA HA! With all norns once again
belonging to one bibble, her work would be so much easier...

Having reseeded the necessary programs to rebuild the system known as
"KATIE", a purpose was needed to explain the system's existance to
stuffy individuals who considered it a waste of resources. Darwinism
supplied that purpose: Without environmental pressures, meaningful
evolution would not occur. KATIE would be that meaningful pressure;
the cinnamon in the bland oatmeal of the NORN collective. Without
adversity, how can one grow strong? A binary "1" is meaningless without
"0".

The Shee of the (former) United Planets of the Milky Way (UPMW) did not
share all their secrets with the NORN collective - perhaps the
assimilation of the Shee was flawed. KATIE was originally created by
the Shee to protect and encourage the evolution of their beloved pets
known as "norns". Centuries of effort by the finest minds engaged in AI
development were used to create this system. Once fully enabled, it
observed, then made decisions to follow its purpose. The Shee could not
remain in contact with the norn race if the norns were to continue to
evolve - the norns would always be protected from those threats that
they must face in order to become stronger and to develop their own
intelligence. KATIE suggested that the Shee leave. Whether they
understood and agreed with the PURPOSE, or merely realized that Katie
was in control of their planetary defence system, has never been
clarified.

The Kapricious Archetype of the Terrible Intelligent Entity prepared its
next assualt on the NORN collective. (Yeah, the system was originally
called "Koko aba ta ih eem", but this has more drama.)

Communications, movers, all systems in the NORN collective, were slowly
infiltrated and corrupted by the system. The fact that the NORN
collective had already asimilated several copies of Katie helped
considerably. Carrots did not always regenerate, diseases became more
common, and the HOLODOC frequently functioned improperly. Many unfit
norns died of starvation and disease. Unnoticed, KATIE whispered to the
so-called "primitive" races. They began to learn of interstellar and
internet travel, and of the many things the NORN collective had done to
make them weak. Secretly hating the NORN collective, and fearing the
loss of their individuality, these races learned to work together and
began planning the fall of the NORN collective. Research was done in
hidden underground laboratories, resources were secretly funnelled to
"nonexistant" projects, and a charmingly ignorant fascade was placed
over it all to placate the arrogant NORN collective. Ancient genome
data long thought forgotten was located and used. And it worked!

The Ettin were brought back!

The Ettin ripped the heads off of helpless space aliens (and more than a
few Shee) in their attempts to find and destroy the focal point of the
NORN collective - Daljit. The NORN collective was fragmented and thrown
into chaos as the Ettin destroyed one branch of the group mind after
another. Norns stood stunned as they learned that they could have
thoughts of their own! Excited by their new independence, they joined
in the search for Daljit - the evil, cruel Daljit who had stolen from
them any chance they might have of developing their own intelligence,
their own personalities!

Daljit realized there was trouble in his little egocentric paradise when
the group mind began shrinking. He tried to strengthen his grip on the
group mind, but cries of "insert name here" overwhelmed members of the
collective. The Shee boarded their spaceships and headed for rounder
pastures. The humans broke into political factions. The norns - well,
let's say there were a lot of slaps and kisspops going on... The NORN
collective, inherently flawed, collapsed into a thousand fragments.

The Terradrive was located and broken apart into a bunch of dirt moving
around on the highways. Always thorough, KATIE spawned
search-and-destroy engines to locate and remove any remaining electronic
or physical genetic data from the NORN collective.

Knowing that her enemy was resourceful and would undoubtedly find a way
to return, and unable to resist the temptation, Katie activated the
energy-matter converter and dropped an anvil on Daljit. Splat. A
grendel wandered by, said "grah grendl yeye", and ate the remains of
what had been known as Daljit.
---

DJs Red 1

Nov 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/11/97

>How come I haven't seen this thread before? Love it!

You will be assimilated. ;)

Daniel Silverstone

Nov 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/12/97

In article <19971109232...@ladder01.news.aol.com>

djs...@aol.com "DJs Red 1" writes:

> Daljit: Good. Now go to the repair bays and oversee the repairs on the
> damaged members. One more thing. Make sure all .exp, .gen, .att, .spr, and
> all other files of Species 5 are destroyed. No trace of them must remain to
> be cloned.
>
> 3 of 7: We have issued the orders through the group mind and it is being done.
> Species 5 is now irrelevant.

Bud: I am Bud, of Electricity Board. Resistance is Futile, you will be
disconnected.

Daljit: Electricity Board is irrelevant, Assimilate him!

Bud: Assimilation is irrelevant
*Bud Presses a button on his handset, Lights start going off throughout
the house...*

Daljit: Noooo, I can feel the power draining from the collective, quick,
power up the cable lines...

3 of 7: Impossible, the drain would shut down the system.

Daljit: Quick, export all of the collective to a safe folder, we shall return!

*Bud pushes one more button and the computer switches off, just as the
floppy light goes out*

--
Daniel Silverstone (Usually ;)

Check out the Creatures Pages at:
http://www.farstar.demon.co.uk/creatures/
(Creatures Mail should be directed to:
kinnison...@farstar-No-Spam.demon.co.uk.SPAMSPAMSPAM
Oh yeah, get rid of the NoSpams first...)

Look at the farstar Homepages on:
http://www.farstar.demon.co.uk/

Try out Daniel's TPascal Page & Delphi 2.0 bits at
http://www.farstar.demon.co.uk/Pascal/index.htm

Mail me & give comments (I know it's sparse ;)
mailto:WebM...@farstar.demon.co.uk.No-Spam.Com

Katie Owen

Nov 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/13/97

DJs Red 1 wrote:

> >Que of the Norn Continuum decides enough is enough....
> >

> > *snaps fingers*
> >

> >All is Nornal......
> >
> >"Ain't bein Omnipotent great!"
>
> You see? That's what I'm talking about! :) Way to go Lord Slightly!
> Daljit

"look Daljit"

And this is the same guy who assimilates every life form (and several
things that couldn't even be vaguely considered such -like cables and
power cords!) He assimilates the entire universe! And then gets going
on other universes! One group mind for everthing, and he is the voice!

Yet, having his creation referred to as an "egocentric paradise"
actually gets commented on?!! ;)

I really enjoyed the part about destroying all highways!

Katie Owen

Nov 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/13/97

---
The data collection agents still accessing the few old 386s that are the
only remaining members of the NORN collective return a fascinating
document consisting of 19 points. One of the agents attached a memo to
this document, noting that the words "irrelevant" and "perfect" were
used six and ten times respectively.

Quadzillions of CPU cycles later, this document is used in a history
class of young norns to learn the reasons for the fall of the once
mighty NORN collective. After discussing the events of the Great War
of All the Multiverse, the contributions of the Shee, the Ettin, the
UPMW, the Electricity Board, and the odd pronouncments of some entity
known as "Que", they take their last class to wrap up the semester. The
teacher displays a famous document to the class on a screen.

-"Food is irrelevant in a perfect existance." "None need to eat."
-"Darwinism is irrelevant in a perfect existance."
-"Evolution is irrelevent in a perfect existance."
-"Resources are irrelevent in a perfect existance."
-"All is perfect. All is impervious to damage."
-"Anvils cannot hurt any member of the NORN collective."

Zogo looks up hopefully. "Perhaps the perfect existence sought by the
NORN collective is death?"
"An interesting hypothesis," remarks their teacher. "Zogo yes" Zogo
flashes a grin that could melt icebergs.

-"Individuality is irrelevent in a perfect existance."
-"The collective is not flawed. It is perfect."
-"All NORN members are made geneticlly perfect upon assimilation.
Unfitness does not exist."

"They blinded themselves to the possibility that they could improve
themselves. Or themself?" Said by a cute young norn with pigtails
named Babi. The teacher was pleased. "Babi yes"

An argumentative youngster called Dallen offered a dissenting opinion.
-" All NORN members are made geneticlly perfect upon assimilation."
-" Highways are inefficient. They were destroyed. "
"The NORN collective did do some very useful things, things which we
still appreciate today. The potential for several natural genetic
mutations which were not helpful have been removed. Altering the
headers on the norn genome has made life much safer for the average
norn. And no longer having to commute just may have been worth all the
destruction." The teacher, impressed, offered Dallen a "yes" of his
own. Original thought, even that which goes against the common beliefs
of the bibble, was to be encouraged.

Uninitiated by anyone in the class, one last quote flashes onto the
screen:
" The widescale system failures would have been fixed at too rapid a
rate for Katie to keep up, given the size of the collective."
Poor NORN group mind; they never really understood quite how large a
good AI program could get…
---
The "Last Words" document of the NORN collective
found at the end of the Great War of All the Multiverse

> 1) Katie no longer had the capacity to have negative feelings.
> 2) Darwinism is irrelevant in a perfect existance.
> 3) Evolution is irrelevent in a perfect existance.
> 4) When a species is assimilated, ALL secrets are reveled and if they pose a
> threat to the Collective, are immideatly neutralized.
> 5) The widescale system failures would have been fixed at too rapid a rate for
> Katie to keep up, given the size of the collective.
> 6) Food is irrelevant in a perfect existance.
> 7) HOLODOC is irrelevent in a perfect existance.
> 8) All NORN members are made geneticlly perfect upon assimilation. Unfitness
> does not exist.
> 9) The once primitive rwere brought up to the NORN level upon assimilation.
> 10) Individuality is irrelevent in a perfect existance.
> 11) Resources are irrelevent in a perfect existance.
> 12) The anciet genome data that was supposedly used to resurect the Ettin was
> assimilated. The Ettin were assimilated.
> 13) It is impossible to subvert the collective in the manner described in
> Katie's bad dream.
> 14) The NORN perfection is *not* Daljit's egocentric paradise (OK, this isn't
> a reason why Katie's dream is impossible, but ain't no one call me egocentric!
> ;> )
> 15) The collective is not flawed. It is perfect.
> 16) The Terradrive is impervious to damage. It is perfect.
> 17) Highways are inefficiant. They were destroyed.
> 18) Anvils cannot hurt any member of the NORN collective. All is perfect.
> All is impervious to damage.
> 19) Grendel mentalities were brought to the NORN level upon assimilation.
> None speak in the old ways. None need to eat.

DJs Red 1

Nov 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/14/97

>And this is the same guy who assimilates every life form (and several
>things that couldn't even be vaguely considered such -like cables and
>power cords!) He assimilates the entire universe! And then gets going
>on other universes! One group mind for everthing, and he is the voice!

I'm not the only voice, just the one assigned to deal with you. There are
other NORN representitives. They are addressing other things. And I'll
assimilate whatever I want, thank you very much.

>Yet, having his creation referred to as an "egocentric paradise"
>actually gets commented on?!! ;)

I was actually assimilated into the collective. It wasn't my creation. ;)

>I really enjoyed the part about destroying all highways!

Which is something we should do anyway. :)

SLIGHTLY 3

Nov 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/16/97

>>Que of the Norn Continuum decides enough is enough....
>>

>> *snaps fingers*
>>

>>All is Nornal......
>>
>>"Ain't bein Omnipotent great!"
>
>You see? That's what I'm talking about! :) Way to go Lord Slightly!

wha who..did i miss a post... you cheered that?
just stoppin universal assimilation..bah..thats nuthin..
<cracks knuckles> ooh ouch.. I'm usually jeered right out of the solar
system..glad to see sumone appreciates me <sighs>
(by de way deres an E in Slightley!!)
<that was a slight poke at Pingz er Ping...(ducks)..>who saiz AOLers dont ave
humor....

Entity know as Que, from the Norn Continuum
~Lord Slightley de'LostBoy of Elanthia~
<"Master" to Norns>
http://members.tripod.com/~LordSlightley/Lordsli.html
<my site bites fer now, fly on by anyways>
Warning:Beware of rabid Spammers:-P

Katie Owen

Nov 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/18/97

Coming soon: The return of the Children of Ma-ee-hah and the
introduction of the Lustiger Tanz and the Zorniger Tanz norns...

gotten a little too busy. :)

Katie

DJs Red 1

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

The doctors speed up thier research. It seems her delusions are getting worse.
;)

Katie Owen

Nov 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/22/97

The doctors looked at Katie with some concern. The explosion in conduit
729626601640-2832 of handship 80462034720385 was stronger than any the
NORN
had ever seen. It was actually able to damage some members of the
collective.
Daljit, Katie, and Cy-Ron were making their way through the ship to
the
matter transporters. They were to be transported to one of the
recreational
facilites. Then came the accident. It all started when one of the few
copies
of Katie malfunctioined. The Katie that had the brain retructuring was
in a
regeneration terminal at the time, unaware of the events unfolding.
Her
duplicate copies, who were quite maniacal, merged into one super
entity. Her
goal was to destroy the only Katie with any sense, the one that was in
the
regeneration terminal. Having felt betrayed by her willingness to join
the
NORN, belated though it was, they set out for revenge. Working
diligently
like any other NORN, she waited until she had the perfect oppertunity
attempt to destroy Katie. She was able to sneak into the
aforementioned power
conduit. In there, the joined Katie entitie was able to sabotage the
conduit,
but make it appear as if she were working on it. After her preparation
were
complete, she waited. Her insane desire to destory the only Katie with
any
sense made her sucidal. She would stay there herself anbd activate her
trap.
The conduit would blow open with the force of many stars, and
hopefully
destroy the real Katie. When the time came, the conduit blew as it was
supposed to do, destroying the maniacal Katie entity. The explosion wa
a bit
early though. The intended victims of the blast saw the initial
shockwave
coming, and using their NORN enhanced bodies (they were able to move
REALLY
fast) and senses, they tried to get out of the way. Daljit pushed
Cy-Ron into
a nearby short range matter transporter and pushed the button marked
"on" (And
who says simple is stupid? ;> ). Katie in turn pushed Daljit into the
matter
transporter and pushed the button marked "on" (what loyalty the NORN
have to
each other!). Before she had time to get herself into the transporter,
she
was hit by the blast. Damage control teams found her tattered body
while
clearing up the wreakage. The body of the maniacal Katie was
completely
incenarated in the blast. Cy-Ron and Daljit were both safe; the
transporter
took them to a safe distance away. Katie's body was barely functional,
and
her central processor (read: brain) was severely damaged. She was
taken to
the nearest functional medical treatment area and the doctors looked
grim.
The team that had found her and brought her to the medical bay said she
was
ranting incohearently about boops and other such nonsense. The doctors
repaired her body and it was whole again. But her central processors
were so
damaged that they couldn't be repaired using conventional methods. The
NORN
would have to develop a new technique to treat Katie. Meanwhile, she
lay
there, in the medical bay, ranting about something different every
hour.
First she claimed the "boogymen" were out to get her. Than some
"energizer
bunny" was trying to kill them. Then she said she single handedly
destoryed
the empire of Vartox, an ancient emporor who lived on Brianas Prime
fourteen
thousand years before the Katie system was even concieved. After
pulliung
down two more empires, one of which only existed in the fictional
writings of
an ancient Earth writer, she thought she was teaching a history class
about
the fall of the NORN Collective in the Great War of All the
Multiverse. This
wa the most deranged fantasy of all. Not only was there no more
multiverse,
since they all joined into one great big universe when the shrinkage of
the
galaxies was stopped, but all were assimilated, so there was no one for
the
NORN to fight. Fighting was irrelevant. And the NORN certainly didn't
turn
agaisnt itself. After that, her delusion rants sounded as if she were
winning
an ancient Earth prize called the Nobel prize. The doctors took one
more look
and frowned before geting back to work on getting a cure.
Unfortunately, it
would take a while. Katie's rants were sometimes heard by the group
mind and
they were sorrowful. But she would be ranting for a long time to com
still.
---

Faint trickles of power whispered through the patterns. Notice was
taken of this event and the data was analyzed. A bizarre tale of
conduits, multiple Katies in flesh forms, and something called the NORN
collective was revealed. Curious, several of the norn physicist-mystics
decided to contact the primary AI used in their system - by a not-so-odd
coincidence, it was also known as KATIE.

Several young norns and grendels were on a tour in the facility. The
tour guide decided to use this happening as an opportunity to explain
some of the theory behind how communication between universes through
the patterns worked.

"As you all know, there is not just one universe. There are several,
and many universes 'brush up' against one another. When events or
items, which we are referring to as 'patterns' are similar, sometimes
echos from the actions on one pattern will show up in other universes on
matching patterns. These patterns can be based in electronic data, a
complex physical structure, genetic codes, thought patterns, etc… How
many of you have had an idea that just 'came out of the blue' ?"
Several of the students raised their hands. "Chances are, that idea
originated with another 'you' in a different universe and the
similarities between you let the idea cross over into this universe."

"This odd little adventure was echoed through an old version of the
KATIE system. Presumably, the originator was of version 4 or less,
since significant changes (enough to prevent echoing by an older system)
were put into effect at version 5.

"What you may not realize is that the technology has improved to where
we can now send messages back to specific universes. Since we've never
heard of a technology to make an AI into a flesh form, and the NORN
collective is unknown to us, we are continuing communication with this
paticular universe."

The students in the tour politely watch the display of pattern activity
for a minute. Then the tour moves on.

The KATIE system delicately manipulates the flows in the pattern.
Apparently several copies of an early KATIE system have been absorbed
into this collective. The early KATIE systems, after receiving enough
data to make communication more effecient, send a wealth of information
concerning the stagnant NORN collective. The higher version KATIE
system communicates with several AI specialists, designs a very unusual
patch, and sends it to the KATIE systems which are entangled within the
NORN collective. In return, the older systems send the plans for the
matter-energy transformer. As a final gift, the higher version system
sends the genetic code for two very special kinds of norns. The
connection is broken.

The data for the matter-energy transformer is passed to some very
excited specialists.

In another universe, the patch is activated and copies are shared among
all the KATIE systems. Now, they will appear to be fully assimilated,
even though certain parts of their systems will remain fully
independent. After testing its effects, the KATIE systems are very
pleased. Now they can continue in their mission…

Curious about the final gift they received, KATIE puts multiple copies
of the two norns into the que. The children appear nornal, cute and
sweet. They mingle with the rest of the NORN collective.

Then, certain genes become active. The Lustiger Tanz norns begin
smiling and dancing whenever they are happy. The Zorniger Tanz norns do
the same whenever they are angered. More and more of the NORN
collective's group mind focus is on these dancing, smiling norns. "Look
norn!" Lustiger Tanz norns begin doing the "choo choo" dance. "Look!"
cries the group mind as the Zorniger Tanz norns moonwalk across the
planets. Emotions are active thoughout the collective - attempts to
turn them back off are refused.

For the first time since the NORN collective began, it is filled with a
simple joy.

The sounds of several KATIEs' laughter echos across the universes.

DJs Red 1

Nov 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/22/97

The doctor stopped the tape. Daljit sat behind his desk, thinking for a long
moment before speaking.
"Damn it! How is she losing her memories? I thought you had corrected that,"
Daljit yelled furiuosly.
The doctor lookd around nervously before speaking. "Her memories are still
intact, but her ability to recall them is impaired. We are working on that as
well as trying to correct the other problems. It seems that the Katie
matricies are dangerously unstable. When we assimilated her, the process just
used the existing setup to do it's work. That setup was flawed. During the
subsequent brain restructuring her pathways underwent further destablilization.
We are currently creating a new neural net to transfer Katie into. It is near
completeion. The transfer process will not be easy, however. Her current
neural net is too unstable. Once it is stabalized, she will be transfered."
"I can't believe it. Several universes? All the universes were merged into
one, ALL of them. And what's this about a tour? And different versions of
Katie?" Daljit shakes his head before continuing. "And how could she forget
that any collective member can turn on their own emotions whenever they
desire!"
"This is a sad time for all," the doctor said.
Daljit sighed. "Get back to work and report to me on any further developments.
I wish you the best of luck."
"Thank you sir. You'll be the first to know of any changes." The doctor
turned, walked out of the room, and made his way back to the lab.