Civ 5 comments

><(((°>

Feb 16, 2011, 4:17:38 PM2/16/11

So what's the latest opinion's on Civ 5.

For me the traditional Civ family "one more turn magic" quickly went and I
got bored with the game.

Am I missing something?
Have updates or patches improved the game?

Currently back on Civ4 BTS and enjoying it.

Bob Terwilliger

Feb 16, 2011, 9:52:31 PM2/16/11
><(((°> wrote:

Sad to say, I feel the same way. It was especially irksome waiting and
waiting for the AIs to finish their turns, even in a small world.

Bob

red...@lava.net

Feb 17, 2011, 2:16:45 AM2/17/11

Irksome...? Irksome is when you're playing a marathon game and around
turn ninteen hundred the game freezes if you're playing 4 opponents.
If you're playing only one or two opponents it will freeze at
approximately the twenty-four hundred turn. The sound seems to stutter
and then the system stops responding. - redvet

G7

Feb 17, 2011, 8:54:20 PM2/17/11

I start doing manual saves around the time and that prevents the game
lock ups.

G7

red...@lava.net

Feb 17, 2011, 11:37:18 PM2/17/11

G7, glad to hear it wasn't just me - redvet

How often, that is at what intervals? Do you completely exit the
program after the save?

Prior to my having this machine built last fall I was saving every 30
to 40 minutes. I found that less of the computer's resources were used
if I exited to the desk top after the save rather than staying in the
program. My metric was a utility that measured CPU and ram percentages
in the Logitec G15 keyboard.

G7

Feb 18, 2011, 1:39:44 PM2/18/11

No it is not just you. LOL When I'm ¾ through the game and I have
units all over the place, I start saving the game after I've made all
my moves. Then I let the program make its moves. I only save and
"exit" the game completely, if things really start to slow down; that
is rare. I also found manually saving the game frees up recourses. I
haven't had a crash since I started this procedure. It would be great
if the programmers could fix this resources issue. But manually
saving the game, isn't too much of a headache.

I'm using Windows 7 and may run Task Manager or Resource Monitor to
monitor resources while playing.

I really like the game.

G7

red...@lava.net

Feb 18, 2011, 5:14:05 PM2/18/11

>No it is not just you. LOL When I'm ľ through the game and I have

>units all over the place, I start saving the game after I've made all
>my moves. Then I let the program make its moves. I only save and
>"exit" the game completely, if things really start to slow down; that
>is rare. I also found manually saving the game frees up recourses. I
>haven't had a crash since I started this procedure. It would be great
>if the programmers could fix this resources issue. But manually
>saving the game, isn't too much of a headache.
>
>I'm using Windows 7 and may run Task Manager or Resource Monitor to
>monitor resources while playing.
>
>I really like the game.
>
>G7

I really like it as well, I just don't understand why the freeze in
the marathon games hasn't been addressed. I checked the civfanatics
bug forum again last week and could not find any reference to the
issue. (Um, it could very well be there, I just didn't see it). Nor
has been addressed in the most recent (Feburary) patch.

So as you explained it; I don't need to exit the game after my save -
I can stay with the in game menu...right?
- redvet

G7

Feb 18, 2011, 11:54:15 PM2/18/11

>>No it is not just you. LOL When I'm ¾ through the game and I have

>>units all over the place, I start saving the game after I've made all
>>my moves. Then I let the program make its moves. I only save and
>>"exit" the game completely, if things really start to slow down; that
>>is rare. I also found manually saving the game frees up recourses. I
>>haven't had a crash since I started this procedure. It would be great
>>if the programmers could fix this resources issue. But manually
>>saving the game, isn't too much of a headache.
>>
>>I'm using Windows 7 and may run Task Manager or Resource Monitor to
>>monitor resources while playing.
>>
>>I really like the game.
>>
>>G7
>

>I really like it as well, I just don't understand why the freeze in
>the marathon games hasn't been addressed. I checked the civfanatics
>bug forum again last week and could not find any reference to the
>issue. (Um, it could very well be there, I just didn't see it). Nor
>has been addressed in the most recent (Feburary) patch.
>
>So as you explained it; I don't need to exit the game after my save -
>I can stay with the in game menu...right?
> - redvet

To make sure we are on the same page. I don't close out to the desk
top. I stay within the game's menus.

I exit to the menu and save the game under the same name and then
return to play.

1 - Open Civ V
2 - Load game or saved game
3 - Play
4 - Then when the game is ready cycle players moves. I click on Menu
and Save my game under my game name (Ramesses II)
5 - Okay the overwrite
6 - Click Return to Game

You can also play around with the saving of the game to make it work
for you in testing moves; like correcting setting off a cultural bomb
in the wrong location.

I hope I'm explaining this clearly. No there doesn't seem to be any
word on the next patch addressing this issue.

G7

red...@lava.net

Feb 19, 2011, 12:12:30 AM2/19/11

Nice explanation, and it what I thought you had said...redvet

G7

Feb 19, 2011, 10:55:49 AM2/19/11

Super

G7

Andre

Mar 30, 2011, 8:29:18 PM3/30/11

Have they found a patch yet that lets you antagonize the AI with
statements, in the same fashion they do it? I see no point why they
left that out.

kaj.st...@helsinki.fi.invalid

Mar 31, 2011, 1:55:07 AM3/31/11
Andre <orad...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Have they found a patch yet that lets you antagonize the AI with
> statements, in the same fashion they do it? I see no point why they
> left that out.

What about appeasing antagonized AI:s?

While gathering strength to give civ V a new chance I have been testing
things in Civ IV.

It seems that (level noble) once an AI has decided to start war
(in the nearby future) nothing but a show of massive force will stop them
from declaring war?
I have tried to go back 10 moves from the declaration of war and
nothing (trade or technology deals/gifts) seems to help. It seems that
when the +/- points are even only a show of force will help, nothing
elese you do will help within a 10 moves time frame.
Is this me or is it the game?

Btw, once is an accident, but now it has already happened at leat four
times to me: opponent AI-1 is a candidate for extinction. AI-2
approaches me to cancel deals with AI-1. In hope that A1-2 will start a
war against AI-1 (and not me) I cancel AI-1 deals. After that AI-1
"refuses to talk" for a zillion years, and I therefore _cannot_ declare
war!!??
IMHO one of the best things in civ IV concerning war is that
troops move out of the opponents territory. Lack of this in earlier civs
led to some idiotic consequences. But this is also idiotic.

--
Kaj

G7

Mar 31, 2011, 8:48:14 AM3/31/11
On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 17:29:18 -0700 (PDT), Andre <orad...@gmail.com>
wrote:

LOL I let my toops do the talking.

G7

Paul Hyett

Mar 31, 2011, 12:23:01 PM3/31/11
On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 at 05:55:07, kaj.st...@helsinki.fi.invalid wrote
in alt.games.civ3 :

>Andre <orad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>Btw, once is an accident, but now it has already happened at leat four
>times to me: opponent AI-1 is a candidate for extinction. AI-2
>approaches me to cancel deals with AI-1. In hope that A1-2 will start a
>war against AI-1 (and not me) I cancel AI-1 deals. After that AI-1
>"refuses to talk" for a zillion years, and I therefore _cannot_ declare
>war!!??

Can't you just attack, which will create a de facto state of war?
--
Paul 'Charts Fan' Hyett

kaj.st...@helsinki.fi.invalid

Mar 31, 2011, 8:57:46 PM3/31/11

No. "this means war?" YES -> "refuses to talk".

--
Kaj

Bob Terwilliger

Mar 31, 2011, 10:36:47 PM3/31/11
Kaj wrote:

> Btw, once is an accident, but now it has already happened at leat four
> times to me: opponent AI-1 is a candidate for extinction. AI-2
> approaches me to cancel deals with AI-1. In hope that A1-2 will start a
> war against AI-1 (and not me) I cancel AI-1 deals. After that AI-1
> "refuses to talk" for a zillion years, and I therefore _cannot_ declare
> war!!??

In the version I'm playing, if you hold down the Alt key and click on the
leader's name, war is declared without speaking a word.

Bob