CIV4 - Take over the World! and the Computer

pyotr filipivich

Feb 15, 2014, 2:03:19 AM2/15/14

Got a new computer "for school". Win7-64.

Install Civ4 - Beyond the Sword. My vice.

It has a couple 'glitches' - video hangs for a moment, and I have
to wait for the mouse pointer to return to my control.
Decided to reinstall over the old install. It still had the
glitch, but, a new wrinkle: on exiting the game, all icons on the task
bar were now a brown C for Civ4. All the shortcuts now link to Civ4,
or failed to find the program which they had formerly linked to. Even
if I attempted to restore the proper target.
Reboot - and when I enter the password and login - it starts Civ4.

Okay, maybe I panicked, but I just rolled back to the restore
point, then uninstalled it , then deleted the directory, and the
files, swept the registry for issues, "pulled backed to orbit and
nuked it to make sure."
I may attempt to reinstall. but ... not tonight.

the main question I still have is about the video /mouse "glitch".
What was happening is that there would be some announcement of great
import, the mouse pointer would disappear, for a couple second, then
the screen would go black for a moment, and then blink back with
everything working fine. Has anyone else had this sort of issue? Is
there a patch?

Oh yes, Win7 64bit, AMD vision, in an HP chassis.

I will probably just ago ahead and install it, some time in the
future. Or should I just play it on the WinXP box?
--
pyotr filipivich
TV NEWS: Yesterday's newspaper read to the illiterate.

red...@lava.net

Feb 15, 2014, 9:37:12 PM2/15/14
Aloha,

First, if'n you can, check the game's web site and get the patches
(there will be many). The latest alliteration of this game is Civ 5;
so your version has been around awhile Next you need to visit the
fan site and make certain your computer has the horsepower (not what
the box sez) . Meyer's games are notorious for needing massive amounts
of resources and for being designed to max out 'next year's chip' .

The best example is when CIV 5 came out and purty near everybody
discovered it wouldn't run on 'uber' machines graphics without
problems, freezing and crashes. It took a year and a half to get those
problems resolved.

All that being said, Civ 5 is incredibly challenging; significantly
better than 4.

Good luck getting 4 to run. it is well worth the effort.

- redvet

pyotr filipivich

Feb 17, 2014, 5:16:10 PM2/17/14
red...@lava.net on Sat, 15 Feb 2014 16:37:12 -1000 typed in
alt.games.civ3 the following:
I know. The annoying thing is that I've been able to run it on the
Win XP box w/o problems.

Well, one more thing to add to the list.

--
pyotr filipivich.
Just about the time you finally see light at the end of the tunnel,