Hilarious Blood Review

Don

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
I was looking through the game reviews section on GameSpot the other day
and noticed that one of the player reviews only rated it 4.3 out of 10.
I thought I just had to see what the guy had written expecting to find
the usual complaining that it's too gory and too hard, but this guy was
so lame that it had me laughing hysterically.

First, he complained about having to lower his view to shoot rats. I
thought that was a reasonable complaint for someone new to the game
since it took me some time to be proficient at killing them, but he made
it sound as if it was practically impossible to kill them.

Then, he ranted and raved about the save and load defaulting to the
first slot. Obviously, he hadn't discovered quick save and load which
defaults to the last slot used.

He also complained about the zombies getting back up after you shoot
them. This is when I suspected that he hadn't played the game for more
than 10 minutes. As we all know, one flare makes them burst into
flames, one double barrel blast from the shotgun gets them the first
time, and all of the higher level weapons can kill them with one blast.
I wonder if he even found out how to use the dynamite?

It started getting really funny when he mentioned that the only weapons
he had were "a pitchfork and a few bullets in a revolver." Revolver???
How could anyone think the flare gun was a revolver? And how far could
this guy have gotten not to pick up some dynamite or a shotgun?

The best part was his final complaint:

"And speaking of health packs, where were they? I found an occasional
doctor's kit, but that was it. Considering how quickly Caleb can go from
100 health to dead, there should have more opportunities to increase
health."

Uh, does this mean he never ran over one of those pulsing, glowing life
essences even by accident? How could he avoid them? This is what
happens when people jump into a game without reading the manual or help
file and don't have a clue as to how to use the weapons or gain health.
So, this guy who says he spent a whole hour playing blood (I still think
it couldn't have been over 10 minutes) thinks it's a bad game just
because he's so lame.

Sure, Blood is a hard game compared to Doom and maybe even Quake, but
I'm not an expert game player and have gotten through it several times
without having to cheat. In fact, I just started playing the original
Hexen again, and even on the easiest setting, it's 100 times harder than
Blood. I reached one level where I ran out of ammo (mana) and
eventually ran out of all health power ups, and I was still being
attacked by about 100 monsters from high towers. I finally went into
god mode just to finish it.

Anyway, you may or may not be amused by this guy's review, but with my
warped sense of humor, I thought it was a riot. If you want to read the
GameSpot reviews of Blood (which scored an average of 8 out of 10), go
to http://www.gamespot.com , click on reviews, and select the game in
the list.