BF2 trouble

1 view

Geir

Oct 25, 2005, 2:32:23 PM10/25/05
When trying to connect to a multiplayergame online, BF2 quits and i'm back
at my desktop..... This problem has started recently, never had trouble with
this be4.

Suggestions?

Cheers GR

Geir

Oct 25, 2005, 2:52:31 PM10/25/05
And yes; When trying to connect to some servers, I'm told "your cd-key is
incorrect" even though I'm using the key at the back of my manual......
Someone hijacked my cd-key?

GR

"Geir" <rii...@online.no> skrev i melding

Lansenerd

Oct 25, 2005, 4:17:34 PM10/25/05
In article <t6ydndieHPF...@telenor.com>, rii...@online.no
says...
Try the forums at www.battlefield.no Geir. I'm pretty sure I've seen
this problem mentioned there.
You could try Battlefield 2_code.exe located in the support-folder in
the main BF2-folder to reset your cd-key.

Lykke til.
--
Lansenerd
www.agbgaming.com

Gareth Evans

Oct 25, 2005, 4:24:16 PM10/25/05
It happened to me.

Have you uninstalled Battlefield 1942 by any chance? That's what did it for
me. I removed B1942 and all the extra packs ie. Road to Rome, Secret
Weapons, BF Vietnam.

Just check google for "uninstalling BF2" and it should point you in the
right direction. Basically it involves deleting some registry keys and
physically deleting folders and files. Then reinstalling everything from
scratch. Pain I know but it worked.

orionuk

"Geir" <rii...@online.no> wrote in message
> [...]

Funkmaster

Oct 26, 2005, 12:38:05 AM10/26/05
Sue EA?

Geir

Oct 26, 2005, 12:24:39 AM10/26/05
I've already tried the cd-key reset stuff without any luck....

GR

"Lansenerd" <lans...@coldmail.com> skrev i melding

Geir

Oct 26, 2005, 2:17:48 AM10/26/05
Phew!

I've uninstalled BF2 completely, including the registry info. Reinstalled it
and added the 1.0.3 patch and voilá, I'm online again! :-) Hopefully this
was the first & last time I needed to do so because it's soooooo boring to
uninstall & reinstall!

Cheers

GR

"Geir" <rii...@online.no> skrev i melding

[AGB]Villy Vonka

Oct 26, 2005, 7:10:15 AM10/26/05
Geir wrote:
> I've uninstalled BF2 completely, including the registry info. Reinstalled it
> and added the 1.0.3 patch and voilá, I'm online again! :-) Hopefully this
> was the first & last time I needed to do so because it's soooooo boring to
> uninstall & reinstall!

Hi Geir, were you using a DVD image to run BF2? I have an Alcohol 120%
image and my DVD is safely stored in its case, but since 1.03, BF2
crashes to desktop when attempting to join an online game. I suspected
that it was BF2 yet again objecting to me having third party software
installed, which is outrageous. Been toying with the idea of
reinstalling BF2 from scratch, but they can sod right off if they
expect me to uninstall BF1942, which IMHO is simply a far superior
game.

Otherwise, I guess no BF2 for me until 1.04 is released...

Cheers

Andrew

Oct 26, 2005, 7:19:37 AM10/26/05
On 26 Oct 2005 04:10:15 -0700, "[AGB]Villy Vonka"
<ne...@villyvonka.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi Geir, were you using a DVD image to run BF2? I have an Alcohol 120%
>image and my DVD is safely stored in its case, but since 1.03, BF2
>crashes to desktop when attempting to join an online game. I suspected
>that it was BF2 yet again objecting to me having third party software
>installed, which is outrageous. Been toying with the idea of
>reinstalling BF2 from scratch, but they can sod right off if they
>expect me to uninstall BF1942, which IMHO is simply a far superior
>game.

I use the mini image from gamecopyworld.com via Alcohol 120% and it
works fine for me.

mik...@excite.com

Oct 26, 2005, 8:52:51 AM10/26/05
Andrew wrote:

> On 26 Oct 2005 04:10:15 -0700, "[AGB]Villy Vonka"
> <ne...@villyvonka.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Hi Geir, were you using a DVD image to run BF2? I have an Alcohol 120%
>>image and my DVD is safely stored in its case, but since 1.03, BF2
>>crashes to desktop when attempting to join an online game. I suspected
>>that it was BF2 yet again objecting to me having third party software
>>installed, which is outrageous. Been toying with the idea of
>>reinstalling BF2 from scratch, but they can sod right off if they
>>expect me to uninstall BF1942, which IMHO is simply a far superior
>>game.
>
> I use the mini image from gamecopyworld.com via Alcohol 120% and it
> works fine for me.

Me too, never a problem until I changed my Windows password and got an
invalid CD key but that was a pretty easy fix.

--
mik...@excite.com

mik...@excite.com

Oct 26, 2005, 8:59:17 AM10/26/05
Lansenerd wrote:

> Try the forums at www.battlefield.no Geir. I'm pretty sure I've seen
> this problem mentioned there.
> You could try Battlefield 2_code.exe located in the support-folder in
> the main BF2-folder to reset your cd-key.
>
> Lykke til.

Download 1.03 again, run it until it gets to the first screen with the next>
button. Don't hit next, but browse to your Windows TEMP folder and look
for a directory that starts with {C...., mine was soemthing like
{CLKJLDKDJKHEL.....CSLID, you will need to drill down one more level but
there is only one directory there. In THIS directory you will find all of
the uncompressed 1.03 patch files. Look for BF2CDkeyreset or something to
that effect. Run it and you will be good to go. It doesn't appear to do
anything but I think it just reencrypts your CD key in the registery
(something new for 1.03)

--
mik...@excite.com

mik...@excite.com

Oct 26, 2005, 9:02:50 AM10/26/05
[AGB]Villy Vonka wrote:

> Hi Geir, were you using a DVD image to run BF2? I have an Alcohol 120%
> image and my DVD is safely stored in its case, but since 1.03, BF2
> crashes to desktop when attempting to join an online game. I suspected
> that it was BF2 yet again objecting to me having third party software
> installed, which is outrageous. Been toying with the idea of
> reinstalling BF2 from scratch, but they can sod right off if they
> expect me to uninstall BF1942, which IMHO is simply a far superior
> game.

BF2 is much better than 1942, even with the few problems it has had. 1942
had its share of problems too. Only last week did I uninstall it because i
haven't played it at all since BF2 came out.

> Otherwise, I guess no BF2 for me until 1.04 is released...

You are kidding, right? Learn some computer skills and fix the problem.
Again, we had these problems in 1942 also.

--
mik...@excite.com

[AGB]Villy Vonka

Oct 26, 2005, 9:56:27 AM10/26/05
mik...@excite.com wrote:
> BF2 is much better than 1942, even with the few problems it has had. 1942
> had its share of problems too. Only last week did I uninstall it because i
> haven't played it at all since BF2 came out.

Well, I did say "IMHO". I simply preferred the pace, setting and
variety of BF1942. BF2 to me seems more like a fragfest, mind you DC
was a pretty popular mod but I never liked that either, the stupid
overpowered helos completely unbalanced the game. To each his own.

> You are kidding, right? Learn some computer skills and fix the problem.
> Again, we had these problems in 1942 also.

No, not kidding at all. The thing is I *have* fixed the problem,
several times and no doubt I could fix the problem again if I was
willing to yet again invest the time, but I simply don't see why I
should be expected to jump through hoops just to get the damned thing
to work *at all*. A few bugs are to be expected, standard fare these
days, and that was the case with BF1942 which needed serious attention
for 18 months after release. But it was at least playable, it didn't
CTD just trying to start the game. Fact is, before 1.03 my
installation was playable, and 1.03 broke it. I've already uninstalled
and reinstalled BF2 about 5 times since release and simply can't be
arsed investing even more time trying to get it to work only to have
the next patch come along and bugger it all up again. No thanks, when
FH2 comes out you bet I'll be investing the time necessary to get it
working, until then I just don't think BF2 is that good or worth the
effort.

Wonder whether anybody has statistics for the number of people playing
BF2 online, in comparison to BF1942 in the months after its release?
Would be an interesting study, when it was discussed on our forums
recently it seems that a lot of the people who were hardcore BF1942
players for 18-24 months, have already become bored with BF2 just a few
months after its release.

Cheers

[AGB]Villy Vonka

Oct 26, 2005, 9:58:42 AM10/26/05
Andrew wrote:
> I use the mini image from gamecopyworld.com via Alcohol 120% and it
> works fine for me.

Thanks Andrew, will give it a try. It seems like a constant battle
getting BF2 to work with an Alcohol image, only to have each patch
screw it up again.

Cheers

[AGB]Villy Vonka

Oct 26, 2005, 10:07:20 AM10/26/05
mike_z wrote:
> BF2 is much better than 1942, even with the few problems it has had. 1942
> had its share of problems too. Only last week did I uninstall it because i
> haven't played it at all since BF2 came out.

Well, I did say "IMHO". I simply preferred the pace, setting and

variety of BF1942. BF2 to me seems more like a fragfest, mind you DC
was a pretty popular mod but I never liked that either, the stupid
overpowered helos completely unbalanced the game. To each his own.

> You are kidding, right? Learn some computer skills and fix the problem.

> Again, we had these problems in 1942 also.

No, not kidding at all. The thing is I *have* fixed the problem,

[AGB]Villy Vonka

Oct 26, 2005, 10:09:36 AM10/26/05
Oops, sorry for the double post. Newsreader is shafted (something else
that needs my attention) and I'm having to rely on Google Groups at the
moment...

Cheers

ScratchMonkey

Oct 26, 2005, 12:07:37 PM10/26/05
Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in

> I use the mini image from gamecopyworld.com via Alcohol 120% and it
> works fine for me.

I'm waiting for the 64-bit version of Daemontools so I can do that.

Geir

Oct 26, 2005, 12:18:24 PM10/26/05
No, I'm using my original DVD disc.... I'm considering using an image to run
my game....

GR
"[AGB]Villy Vonka" <ne...@villyvonka.co.uk> skrev i melding

lothern

Oct 30, 2005, 6:24:18 PM10/30/05

"Geir" <rii...@online.no> wrote in message
I get this problem if I play some other games before playing bf2; If I
reboot bf2 works fine.