verbal diarea

1 view

Bellende Belhamel

Jan 29, 2012, 12:52:01 PM1/29/12
I think that some in this groups have a severe case of verbal diarea.
I mean, they are message flooders, I have no idea where they get
the time to bombard us with this endless flow of ........ (you name it.)

Doug Freyburger

Jan 30, 2012, 11:01:02 AM1/30/12
It depends on your filtering. I block all messages to AF that have any
cross posts. I have a fairly short list of author kills. I use an NSP
that's good at blocking spam.

As a result I see a report that my NSP currently hold 813 messages in
the group. Count for the ones I see is 8. Of those 5 are spam messages
by spammers too small in scale to get caught by my NSP. That leases 4
messages that I have seen that are on topic in the last several months.
Filtering works.

Of course there's bad news in this. Every new reader to every newsgroup
comes in with nothing in their filter file. That means they see the
noise and often the signal is lost in the noise. Thus new readers who
do use filters need to populate them and new readers who do not are all
screwed, in fact screwed on pretty much any unmoderated newsgroup.

Insanity is a disease and Usenet has no antibodies for it other than
filter files and moderated newsgroups.

Speaking of verbal diarhea I was at a Table Lodge on Friday and I gave a
discourse. I had initially been told that this Table Lodge was only
going to have Master Masons present so I prepared for my talk on the
assumption that only MMs would be present. My discourse was scheduled
during the time when the Table Lodge was on the second degree. There
was a Fellowcraft present. Opps, goodbye the second half of my
presentation.

So I talked about the alchemy of personal transformation and the
symbolic meanings in the first and second degrees. Because the lodge
was tiled I could say the words and then discuss what they mean and how
that symbolizes "We make good men better". Then about half way through
instead of talking about the events of the third degree I turned about
and changed topics. In the second degree part I had mentioned bettering
ourselves through education so I backtracked to a previous topic of the
second degree.

Why are there 5 classic orders of architecture but only 3 are esteemed
by Freemasonry? Because they are the Greek ones and it is Greek
civilization that invented philosophy. As Freemasons we are supposed to
be philosophers and to apply philosophy to how we live our lives. It's
one of the open lessons of the second degree that sits there waiting for
anyone to notice.