Re: Thatcherism is finally dead, her policies electorally toxic

Pilotiin

Jun 19, 2023, 8:05:00 AM6/19/23
On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 07:18:16 -0000 (UTC), RJH wrote:

> I thought, indirectly, they could use the HRA to build.

Don't think so. They can use receipts from RTB sales to build HA homes and
shared ownership housing.

HAs may, if they want, use rent revenue surpluses to build homes, but they
never do. They prefer to hand it over to their senior managers
(Freemasons, to you) as Performance Related Pay [sic].

> In the sense that an LA can (now) borrow
> 'prudentially' and charge repayments to
> the HRA, much like a mortgage?

Thatcherism has it that LA should not borrow as it creates competition in
the financial markets, pushing up interest rates, so MHT banned it. Back
in the day, Saturday newspapers were full of local authorities inviting
you to invest in their district (invariably at the same interest rate as
other local authorities).

A newspaper was like a website, but made out of dead trees.

> * The HRA is pushed to the limits in any case;

HRAs do tend to be, because there's an obligation to furnish homes only at
affordable rents, and since at least 70% of rental income comes from
government rent subsidies, HB and UC mainly, ministers have an interest in
keeping these rents low.

> * Cultural alignment to *not* providing council housing - ranging
> from can't be bothered to market dogma (and a lot in between);

Certainly, and blaming the Tories.

The main reason is the building of social housing in Great Britain was
only ever funded by LA borrowing and central government grants. No one
else takes responsibility.

--
Lilies that fester, smell far worse than weeds (Sonnet 9)
riemh4lxq...@opayq.com