Ping mixmin again

max schnell

Jul 25, 2021, 12:49:42 AM7/25/21

Well, it still has cert issues "Peer's Certificate has expired.". Too bad.
I use it and E-S (always nice to have a backup).

minxmin's certificate is from Let's Encrypt and refers to
fleegle.mixmin.net if that's of any value. Wonder if I should visit Let's
Encrypt and install something from them...

Grant Taylor

Jul 25, 2021, 2:41:06 AM7/25/21
On 7/24/21 10:49 PM, max schnell wrote:
> Wonder if I should visit Let's Encrypt and install something from them.

You should not need to.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

😉 Good Guy 😉

Jul 25, 2021, 12:12:37 PM7/25/21
On 25/07/2021 05:49, max schnell wrote:

Well, it still has cert issues "Peer's Certificate has expired.". Too bad. I use it and E-S (always nice to have a backup).

minxmin's certificate is from Let's Encrypt and refers to fleegle.mixmin.net if that's of any value. Wonder if I should visit Let's Encrypt and install something from them...

Something must have happened to Steve. Pandemic is hitting almost everybody and people are pinged on their smart phones by our NHS and millions have been told to isolate just because they were in the close proximity of somebody who has proved positive to corona Virus.

I don't know about other free servers but they are censoring some posts so it is nice to have have a paid service that can be relied upon. You could try BlockNews.net for $1.99 for 5GB non expiring account.

Free services are financed by neo-nazi or mafia supported Mussolini groups who are all controlled from Germany.  Some are run by people from banana republics and they are known to harvest people's personal details. I have given up on them and also made sure my passwords on my email accounts are now 42 characters long. I have seen somebody is trying to hack into my email accounts but they keep failing all the time. I can prove this by looking at the activity logs of my outlook.com account.

I do not use servers hosted by neo-Nazis or Italian Mafia. Therefore, you may not be able to read my interesting posts unless you are on some proper news-servers.

--

With over 1.3 billion devices now running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

Steve Crook

Jul 26, 2021, 9:40:05 AM7/26/21
On Sat, 24 Jul 2021 22:49:42 -0600, max schnell wrote in

Please can you try it again now? Getting LetsEncrypt to play nicely
with INN and nnrpd is a bit of a mission. I've tested it myself and
it's verifying successfully with:
openssl s_client -showcerts news.mixmin.net:563

--
And with glasses high we raised a cry for freedom had arrived

Aioe

Jul 26, 2021, 10:29:42 AM7/26/21
Il 26/07/21 15:40, Steve Crook ha scritto:
> Please can you try it again now? Getting LetsEncrypt to play nicely
> with INN and nnrpd is a bit of a mission.

$ ls /etc/news/ssl/ -l
totale 248
-r-------- 1 news news 215509 gen 24 2021 ca-cert.pem
-r-------- 1 news news 1858 lug 20 17:51 cert.pem
-r-------- 1 news news 3750 lug 20 17:52 chain.pem
-r-------- 1 news news 5608 lug 20 17:52 fullchain.pem
-r-------- 1 news news 1939 gen 24 2021 isrgrootx1.pem
-r-------- 1 news news 790 gen 24 2021 isrg-root-x2.pem
-r-------- 1 news news 1021 gen 24 2021 lets-encrypt-e1.pem
-r-------- 1 news news 1826 gen 24 2021 lets-encrypt-r3.pem
-r-------- 1 news news 1708 lug 20 17:52 privkey.pem

Paul

Jul 26, 2021, 3:09:22 PM7/26/21

😉 Good Guy 😉

Jul 28, 2021, 7:29:38 PM7/28/21
On 26/07/2021 14:40, Steve Crook wrote:

Getting LetsEncrypt to play nicely
with INN and nnrpd is a bit of a mission.

Can you not use CloudFlare free service? CloudFlare gives you free SSL by default and it is renewed automatically. It is free all the way for non commercial use like your news server.

My websites are on Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure or AWS but they are all SSL protected by Cloudflare and you can do *.mixmin.net and so any sub-domain are covered automatically.

They give you a special IP address that you need to enter on your Registrar's portal and within minutes it will start rendering secured service automatically. You run your own servers as usual but the registrar's work is done by CloudFlare.

<https://www.cloudflare.com/en-gb/plans/>

colfax

Jul 30, 2021, 4:45:03 PM7/30/21
In article <BLlMI.91881$Vv6....@fx45.iad>
=?UTF-8?B?8J+YiSBHb29kIEd1eSDwn5iJ?= <Hello...@example.onion>
wrote:

> On 26/07/2021 14:40, Steve Crook wrote:
> >
> > Getting LetsEncrypt to play nicely
> > with INN and nnrpd is a bit of a mission.
>

> Can you not use CloudFlare free service? CloudFlare gives you free SSL
> by default and it is renewed automatically.

CloudFlare sucks dick. You probably do too for suggesting it.

Grant Taylor

Aug 1, 2021, 1:39:21 PM8/1/21
On 8/1/21 6:57 AM, noel wrote:
> never understood why someon wul;d use ssl on newsgroups anyway,
Metadata. External 3rd parties can knowing that I'm connecting to a
newsgroup server but they don't have visibility into which newsgroups or
articles I'm reading or what I'm sending.

The argument of "Usenet is public" doesn't hold water when it's used for
private NNTP networks.

Last, but not least, is creating more TLS noise that would be big
brother needs to wade through to find signal for people they care about.
(Eliding filtering.) There by helping people hide that have a
legitimate reason for doing so.

But mostly to thwart metadata collection for groups I subscribe to and
messages that I read.

😉 Good Guy 😉

Aug 1, 2021, 1:48:40 PM8/1/21

Some idiot wrote:

> CloudFlare sucks dick.

When did you use CloudFlare to come to this conclusion?

Adam H. Kerman

Aug 1, 2021, 5:16:01 PM8/1/21
Grant Taylor <gta...@tnetconsulting.net> wrote:
>On 8/1/21 6:57 AM, noel wrote:

>>never understood why someon wul;d use ssl on newsgroups anyway, Metadata. External 3rd parties can knowing that I'm connecting to a newsgroup server but they don't have visibility into which newsgroups or articles I'm reading or what I'm sending.

>The argument of "Usenet is public" doesn't hold water when it's used for
>private NNTP networks.

That's a reasonable definition, that not all newsgroups are Useet. Public
newsgroups are part of Usenet. Private newsgroups are not.

>. . .

Grant Taylor

Aug 2, 2021, 11:31:00 AM8/2/21
On 8/2/21 8:27 AM, noel wrote:
> I get ya, I suppose some 3 letter angencies sniffing your traffic might
> add it to your file:)

It's not so much the three letter agencies that I'm worried about. It's
more someone else on path that I want to thwart.

The TLAs will get court orders to have servers in their jurisdiction
turn things over.

I'm more interested in making their life more difficult (but not
impossible) and thwarting annoyances like people running FireSheet or
trying to sniff my news server password to cancel articles on servers.

Grant Taylor

Aug 4, 2021, 12:00:19 AM8/4/21
On 8/3/21 8:56 PM, noel wrote:
> I'm very surprised if any server actually honors those
GRC's news server does. They also do so in a special way.

Sn!pe

Aug 5, 2021, 10:16:56 AM8/5/21
Grant Taylor <gta...@tnetconsulting.net> wrote:

> On 8/3/21 8:56 PM, noel wrote:
> > I'm very surprised if any server actually honors those
>
> GRC's news server does. They also do so in a special way.

ITYF that GRC's news is not part of public Usenet and GRC groups
are only available via GRC's private news server (or web server).

<https://www.grc.com/discussions.htm>

--
^Ï^ <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

max schnell

Aug 13, 2021, 4:17:24 PM8/13/21
Sorry for the slow response, all is working now. Thanks!