Progresso Canned Ravioli

Ravioli Guy

Oct 10, 2004, 3:08:03 AM10/10/04
A while back I used to enjoy Progresso's canned ravioli. It was,
frankly, vastly superior to Chef Boyardee's offering, which is the
only one that I can stand out of other canned pastas (most sauces are
far, far too sweet for my taste).

Unfortunately, at some point about ten years ago, they decided to stop
carrying it in Northern California, and thus far my searches on the
Internet for any place still selling or stocking it have been utterly
fruitless. In fact, I can't even find anything to verify that it ever
existed in the first place despite considerable effort. Thus, I turn
to you: Are they still selling it at all? Is there any place I can
get it on the Internet, or order it online? Has anyone else even
heard of it, or am I suffering from a head injury and not recalling
the details?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Cross-posted to misc.survivalism as they seem to discuss canned food
quite a bit, as well as rec.food.historic in case this wonderful item
has indeed been sent to the dust bin of history.

rmg

Oct 10, 2004, 3:31:20 AM10/10/04

"Ravioli Guy" <ravioli...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>A while back I used to enjoy Progresso's canned ravioli.

<snip>

> Has anyone else even
> heard of it, or am I suffering from a head injury and not recalling
> the details?

To certify you're sound of mind, I remember eating it. I think they also
used to have canned tortellini in red sauce. Progresso's stuff is high
quality; head and shoulders above the other stuff like campbells in my
opinion. I love their lentil soup.

> Cross-posted to misc.survivalism as they seem to discuss canned food
> quite a bit, as well as rec.food.historic in case this wonderful item
> has indeed been sent to the dust bin of history.

Funny. Let us know what you find out.

Shawn Hearn

Oct 10, 2004, 6:40:11 AM10/10/04
In article <67c816dc.0410...@posting.google.com>,
ravioli...@yahoo.com (Ravioli Guy) wrote:

> A while back I used to enjoy Progresso's canned ravioli. It was,
> frankly, vastly superior to Chef Boyardee's offering, which is the
> only one that I can stand out of other canned pastas (most sauces are
> far, far too sweet for my taste).

Try doing a web search for "Progresso foods" and see what turns up.

Message has been deleted

Kate Dicey

Oct 10, 2004, 1:38:21 PM10/10/04
Winston ������������������������������� wrote:

> On 10 Oct 2004 00:08:03 -0700, ravioli...@yahoo.com (Ravioli Guy)

> wrote:
>

>>A while back I used to enjoy Progresso's canned ravioli. It was,
>>frankly, vastly superior to Chef Boyardee's offering, which is the
>>only one that I can stand out of other canned pastas (most sauces are
>>far, far too sweet for my taste).
>

> Sugar sells products. Same for mega-salt. It's the future unless
> some anti fad takes hold among the younger folks. Let's hope.

It already has here. It's unusual to find things like kidney beans with
sugar added, and there are sugar and salt free versions of all sorts of
things from tuna to tomatoes, beans to bolognese... I've given up
buying most things ready made, but tomatoes in cans are a bit of a
staple! In fact, we're so used to beans and things being sugar free
that it was a bit of a surprise to find we'd got some red kidney beans
with sugar in the other day.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

If I told U I'd have 2 kill U

Oct 10, 2004, 1:53:20 PM10/10/04
ravioli...@yahoo.com (Ravioli Guy) wrote in message news:<67c816dc.0410...@posting.google.com>...

File a Missing Pasta Report with your local PD.

Jim Johnston

Oct 10, 2004, 2:15:39 PM10/10/04

Kate Dicey wrote:
> Winston ������������������������������� wrote:
>
>> On 10 Oct 2004 00:08:03 -0700, ravioli...@yahoo.com (Ravioli Guy)
>> wrote:
>>

>>> A while back I used to enjoy Progresso's canned ravioli. It was,
>>> frankly, vastly superior to Chef Boyardee's offering, which is the
>>> only one that I can stand out of other canned pastas (most sauces are
>>> far, far too sweet for my taste).
>>

>> Sugar sells products. Same for mega-salt. It's the future unless
>> some anti fad takes hold among the younger folks. Let's hope.
>

> It already has here. It's unusual to find things like kidney beans with
> sugar added, and there are sugar and salt free versions of all sorts of
> things from tuna to tomatoes, beans to bolognese... I've given up
> buying most things ready made, but tomatoes in cans are a bit of a
> staple! In fact, we're so used to beans and things being sugar free
> that it was a bit of a surprise to find we'd got some red kidney beans
> with sugar in the other day.

And to make things worse, companies aren't even using sugar to sweeten
anymore... they are using corn syrup or corn sugar because it's cheaper.
Too bad though, as it's been proven that these type of sweeteners
cause you to eat more than you really need, thus you buy more. Good for
the company, bad for people's health. (Soda pop is the prime example here.)

Kate Dicey

Oct 10, 2004, 3:08:34 PM10/10/04
Jim Johnston wrote:

> And to make things worse, companies aren't even using sugar to sweeten
> anymore... they are using corn syrup or corn sugar because it's cheaper.
> Too bad though, as it's been proven that these type of sweeteners cause
> you to eat more than you really need, thus you buy more. Good for the
> company, bad for people's health. (Soda pop is the prime example here.)

Ah, well, we never buy those as a general rule. If we want fizz, we
fizz up some plain old tap water. Made into a spritzer with fruit juice
it's very refreshing and much nicer than syrup of fizz...

Bout the only pre-fizzed stuff we drink at all is slimline tonic for the
occasional G&T. Last 1lt bottle lasted over a year.

With the salted beans, I just tip them out of the can and rinse them,
and fail miserably to add salt to the cooking thereafter. After a 6
monthly blood test a couple of years back (Type 1 diabetic), DH was told
to put more salt on his food as he had LOW sodium levels!

Ravioli Guy

Oct 10, 2004, 8:07:27 PM10/10/04
Shawn Hearn <sr...@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<srhi-EBE547.0...@news-40.giganews.com>...

I did. Several times. No go.

I looked through the website, and even went through the inventory of
General Mills' mail-order operation (General Mills being Progresso's
parent company, if I recall), which had several Progresso products NOT
advertised on their website, such as sauces. Still, to no avail.

Though their marinara sauce IS still about... wonder if it's the same
stuff as in the ravioli. That'd be a start, at least, but I'd rather
have the canned meal in one fell swoop if at all possible.

Jack B

Oct 10, 2004, 8:15:11 PM10/10/04
In article <67c816dc.04101...@posting.google.com>,
ravioli...@yahoo.com (Ravioli Guy) wrote:

> Shawn Hearn <sr...@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > In article <67c816dc.0410...@posting.google.com>,
> > ravioli...@yahoo.com (Ravioli Guy) wrote:
> >
> > > A while back I used to enjoy Progresso's canned ravioli. It was,
> > > frankly, vastly superior to Chef Boyardee's offering, which is the
> > > only one that I can stand out of other canned pastas (most sauces are
> > > far, far too sweet for my taste).
> >
> > Try doing a web search for "Progresso foods" and see what turns up.
>
> I did. Several times. No go.
>
> I looked through the website, and even went through the inventory of
> General Mills' mail-order operation (General Mills being Progresso's
> parent company, if I recall), which had several Progresso products NOT
> advertised on their website, such as sauces. Still, to no avail.
>
> Though their marinara sauce IS still about... wonder if it's the same
> stuff as in the ravioli. That'd be a start, at least, but I'd rather
> have the canned meal in one fell swoop if at all possible.

FWIW, google "progresso sauce" and find:

http://www.generalmills.com/corporate/brands/product.aspx?catID=75

--
Jack

Beachcooler

Oct 11, 2004, 6:52:51 AM10/11/04
Winston wrote:
> On 10 Oct 2004 00:08:03 -0700, ravioli...@yahoo.com (Ravioli Guy)
> wrote:
>

>>A while back I used to enjoy Progresso's canned ravioli. It was,
>>frankly, vastly superior to Chef Boyardee's offering, which is the
>>only one that I can stand out of other canned pastas (most sauces are
>>far, far too sweet for my taste).
>

> Sugar sells products. Same for mega-salt. It's the future unless
> some anti fad takes hold among the younger folks. Let's hope.
>

>>Unfortunately, at some point about ten years ago, they decided to stop
>>carrying it in Northern California, and thus far my searches on the
>>Internet for any place still selling or stocking it have been utterly
>>fruitless. In fact, I can't even find anything to verify that it ever
>>existed in the first place despite considerable effort. Thus, I turn
>>to you: Are they still selling it at all? Is there any place I can
>>get it on the Internet, or order it online? Has anyone else even
>>heard of it, or am I suffering from a head injury and not recalling
>>the details?
>

> No idea, but I'm sure they have a web site and that probably has an
> e-mail contact address.

>>Thanks for any help you can give me.
>>
>>Cross-posted to misc.survivalism as they seem to discuss canned food
>>quite a bit, as well as rec.food.historic in case this wonderful item
>>has indeed been sent to the dust bin of history.
>

> Alas, many of my favorites are gone. One of the lunch trucks we used
> to have where I work carried a 7.5 oz can of Hormel AuGratin Potatoes
> and Bacon. Vastly over price as lunch trucks are but it was great. A
> little less salt and I'd say excellent. I've found similar products
> but none that really please me.
>
> I'd like it in a bigger size can so I can add some ham pieces and make
> it a meal instead of a snack, but I'd settle for the small one.
>
> Even when the truck had it, I never could find it in stores, so maybe
> items are made just for small scale vendors. I remember the operator
> complaining about dealings with the warehouse that loaded his truck
> every morning, so there are companies that just do that sort of trade.
>
> I have one lone can I saved to show to stores while I was searching
> for it. I dated it 1997, so I'm not sure I'll eat it now.
>
> Stagg used to make a Chicken Chili with Beans that I loved over some
> rice. Then one day, it was new and improved. Darn near identical
> ingredients list and nutrition label, but only suitable for dogs,
> IMHO. The dogs seemed to like it but then again they eat cat
> droppings. Not my first reference on matters of taste.
>
> If I really like a product, it seems to be the kiss of death and that
> goes way beyond just food items.
>
> Good luck on you search.
>
> --
> W§ mostly in m.s - http://members.1stconnect.com/anozira

I just ate a 5 year old can of Stagg chili with beans last Sunday. By
wednesday the diarrhea had finally stopped. Gotta rotate more often I guess.

Luca Pinotti

Oct 11, 2004, 12:51:03 PM10/11/04

Please...
There are some Italians reading....
Pleaso do not talke about "canned ravioli".
I had some in 1969 and I'm still sick.

Luca

--
Nolite proicere margaritas ad porcos

On-Liner

Oct 11, 2004, 2:18:04 PM10/11/04

"Luca Pinotti" wrote

> Please...
> There are some Italians reading....
> Pleaso do not talke about "canned ravioli".
> I had some in 1969 and I'm still sick.

I guess that's what happens when you don't open the can before swallowing.

;-)

Luca Pinotti

Oct 11, 2004, 3:13:01 PM10/11/04

"On-Liner" <peterp...@pickledpepper.com> wrote in message

:-)

Rich Johnson

Oct 11, 2004, 2:43:51 PM10/11/04

"Luca Pinotti" <xxl...@pinottix.cox.uk> wrote in message
Luca:

Well, if you read the subject line you should have known not to open the
posting. It is like people complaining about nudity on the Playboy channel,
even though they subscribe to it. ...But thinking about it, perhaps that
last point about still being sick pertains here? ;)

Casey

Oct 13, 2004, 9:53:38 AM10/13/04
ravioli...@yahoo.com (Ravioli Guy) wrote in message news:<67c816dc.0410...@posting.google.com>...
> A while back I used to enjoy Progresso's canned ravioli. It was,
> frankly, vastly superior to Chef Boyardee's offering, which is the
> only one that I can stand out of other canned pastas (most sauces are
> far, far too sweet for my taste).

I used to eat a lot of canned raviolis myself, Chef Boyardee, as thats
all I ever found besides the generic brands, but then I switched to
the frozen ones. They are only slightly more difficult to prepare,
and if you look hard enough you can usually find one brand of pasta
sauce in a jar that does not contain any sweetners.

Not what you asked, I know, but if you're looking for quality I cant
imagine the best canned to be better then cheap frozen ones.

MaryMc

Oct 12, 2004, 11:32:20 PM10/12/04
In article <67c816dc.0410...@posting.google.com>, Ravioli Guy
<ravioli...@yahoo.com> wrote:

You might try these folks:

http://www.hometownfavorites.com

They specialize in nostalgic, hard-to-find, and regional foods--the
kind of stuff people get cravings for but then can't find. Their site
features a list of items that people have requested, but which they've
confirmed are no longer available. Progresso Ravioli isn't on that
list (although Progresso Cream of Chicken, Progresso Eggplant Caponata,
Progresso Marinara Sauce, and Progresso Spaghetti Sauce are on there).
They don't list the ravioli for sale, on the other hand, but they do
say "Our product selection is based on customer request; you tell us
what you can't find, we will try to carry." So it's worth asking--at
the very least, maybe they can find out for you whether it's a lost
cause.

nancree

Oct 13, 2004, 7:40:09 PM10/13/04
"Luca Pinotti" <xxl...@pinottix.cox.uk> wrote in message news:<2t049tF...@uni-berlin.de>...
-----------------------
As a quick snack, canned ravioli can be improved with a few shakes of
Tabasco and a generous addition of Parmesan cheese.
Nancree

Gunner

Oct 13, 2004, 12:35:40 PM10/13/04

Why not make your own to suit your taste and can em yourself?

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third
hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're
around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right
before demode` (out of fashion).
-Buddy Jordan 2001

msa...@mindspring.com

Sep 21, 2015, 1:39:06 PM9/21/15
\**********************************************************************
I feel your pain. I loved this product as well. Unfortunately, they don't make it anymore. No idea why???******************************M.S.************

cjga...@yahoo.com

Apr 16, 2016, 12:28:30 AM4/16/16
12 years ago you asked about Progresso Ravolli. I saw it first time on a movie. With Jane Fonda point of no return. Fake I think. But my whole family if from Italy and as a group we are the best cookers in the world. Had resturants we sold for huge profits and now manufacture high end men's and woman's wigs. Enough said. And don't share this you will change people's worlds. Only use MIMMS cheese ravioli. Close to home made you will get from frozen. Isle home made but a can person (what I rather die then eat) to This is wow. You might as well eat canned cat or dog food. Think pasta mushy in a can and sodium. You gotta have bad health and no middle tone. But anyway.
Get a can of San Mariano pluM tomatoes and make smooth in a blender. Zoom zoom quick.
2 cloves garlic cut in half in 8/10 table spoons olive oil
Let start to brown lightly and add blended smooth Sanarzano tomatoes.
add to taste. Salt. Pepper. And red pepper. And this is key three leaves of fresh only by the way Basil chopped. Stir and cook on medium 20/30 min tops. Add white wine if u desire. Boil large pot water add MIMMS Ravolli 10/12 minute point of sauce so start water rite after sauce is seasoned. Cook rav. Put some sauce in bowl toss (if you want the taste perfect or u don't need to) toss with FRESH only Charles flat leaf parcly and grated reggiano Parm cheese (1/2 to 1 cup it's not salty) just real Italian. You will die and gone to heaven. Unless you make home made pasta sheets and ricotta and stuff your own Ravolli it be great. Now that sauce you can start with browning ground veal and have a bullignese sauce. Same everything. Or even better. Like penne all a vka or just vodka sause. It is same as above olive oil. Garli but remove after Browns. Cook 10 min the san Marzano tom then add 10 min in small heavy or half and half cream. Put 1-2 cups vodka small pan. Bring to just start boil shut off light with lighter. Be careful. Let alcohol burn off 10/15 seconds. Pour fired up vodka in tom and cream. Boo ya. You are now having people over for dinner. If your too last f u this email took more time then cooking. If your too cheap get a real job 😆. I'm 45 my life is easyy w2 last year being off some was still 840,000 so maybe I got time to cook and not cheap with ingreatience. But if you ain't gonna do it perfect. Don't bother. Everyone works 8 hours a day. Money is made in the 9-10-11-12 hour when the competition is gone home. That's the difference in every aspect of life. And know what making things half ass making 40k a year is fine. Just be happy with it and surround yourself w people that are ok with it. Every city must have a trailer park. Joking. Good luck if you love rav. You gotta do this. Didn't check your M or F. But enjoy life has changed. How the hell can you eat canned crap. I never had canned Campbell's anything or any food in a can. Beans a few times. I soak dry beans. Canned. Makes me feel like a dog or cat Ruff!

susand...@tampabay.rr.com

May 14, 2017, 12:26:05 PM5/14/17
On Sunday, October 10, 2004 at 3:08:03 AM UTC-4, Ravioli Guy wrote:
They discontinued it. On this web site, scroll down to the "P's" to see. I miss it also. http://www.refundcents.com/discontinued.asp

Oxly House

Nov 13, 2022, 1:29:29 PM11/13/22
It was in the movie Point of No Return

gggg gggg

Nov 14, 2022, 3:29:23 AM11/14/22
"8 Italian-Inspired Facts About Progresso":

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/76882/progresso-facts

gggg gggg

Nov 14, 2022, 3:31:13 AM11/14/22
On Sunday, October 10, 2004 at 12:08:03 AM UTC-7, Ravioli Guy wrote:
Have you ever tried their macaroni and bean soup?:

https://www.today.com/food/best-canned-soup-progresso-s-macaroni-bean-t205535

gggg gggg

Nov 24, 2022, 10:09:33 PM11/24/22
On Sunday, October 10, 2004 at 12:08:03 AM UTC-7, Ravioli Guy wrote:
You can't forget the taste of Progresso Ravioli probably because it was made with a lot of care. Extra care.

But don't we now live in times when anything viewed as 'labor-intensive' is no longer considered 'cost-effective'?

JOE NEGER

Oct 25, 2023, 9:38:32 AM10/25/23
On Sunday, October 10, 2004 at 3:08:03 AM UTC-4, Ravioli Guy wrote:
> A while back I used to enjoy Progresso's canned ravioli. It was,
> frankly, vastly superior to Chef Boyardee's offering, which is the
> only one that I can stand out of other canned pastas (most sauces are
> far, far too sweet for my taste).
> Unfortunately, at some point about ten years ago, they decided to stop
> carrying it in Northern California, and thus far my searches on the
> Internet for any place still selling or stocking it have been utterly
> fruitless. In fact, I can't even find anything to verify that it ever
> existed in the first place despite considerable effort. Thus, I turn
> to you: Are they still selling it at all? Is there any place I can
> get it on the Internet, or order it online? Has anyone else even
> heard of it, or am I suffering from a head injury and not recalling
> the details?
> Thanks for any help you can give me.
> Cross-posted to misc.survivalism as they seem to discuss canned food
> quite a bit, as well as rec.food.historic in case this wonderful item
> has indeed been sent to the dust bin of history.
I have been going crazy trying to find just info about Progress ravs, it's like any mention of it has been carefully erased, sort of like U.FO. Sightings.. We're all Stupid and we all Hallucinated eating them..
Anyone with info as to where to even get a can of them would be most Appreciated.