TN: Pig & Crab with Burg, Champagne, Riesling, ZH, CVNE, Lapierre,

dalewilli...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2021, 2:41:27 PM8/17/21
A nice group of 9 got together last night at Wu’s Wonton King. We had a whole suckling pig and a whole king crab. The pig skin was served Peking duck style, and the meat later. The crab legs were served 2 ways- steamed with ginger and scallion, then fried with a bit of spice- afterwards, the carapace was used for fried rice. Some fried anchovies to start, pea shoots and bok choy. And, of course, many wines.

2012 Louis Roederer “Starck” Champagne Brut Nature
While this was a little severe, it had beautiful structure, lovely flavors of pears, citrus, and chalk, and a long chalky/minerally finish. Even better later with some air. B+/A-

Ulysse Collin Maillons Blanc de Noir (base 2016).
Crunchy red and green apple, spicy, fun. Bone dry. B+

1999 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB ( TCA, dammit).

2005 Philipponnat Clos Des Goisses
Takes a sec to adjust to the dosage after the others, but really this is a lovely lovely wine in a plusher style. Peaches, brioche, and honey. Enough acidity to keep lively, nice length. A-

2011 Egon Muller Scharzhofberger Spatlese Riesling
Pretty stunning. Complete and balanced, pear and citrus, floral, racy and long. A/A-

2012 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr “Ur” Alte Reben Riesling Spatlese
Decanted day before, still unfurling. Intense minerality, just a hint of sweetness, delicious. A-

2007 Weins-Prum Erdener Prälat Auslese Riesling
This could use a bit more acidic spine. Tropical fruits, peach, a touch of petrol. B

1999 Selbach Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese **
Fully mature but not tired, honied apricot boytrytis notes, just enough acid to keep it lively. B+/B

2012 Zind-Humbrecht Clos Windsbuhl Pinot Gris
There were people who loved this, but this just isn’t a style I can groove to.
A bit oily/unctuous, very ripe pear bordering on fruit cocktail,powerful. C+ for me, a hit for some others.

1994 Zind-Humbrecht Herrenweg de Turckheim Gewurztraminer
This had a lot of complexity, and was interesting match with crab, but overall I found it more impressive than delicious. But really fun to try. B/B+

2002 Chevillon Chaignots Nuits St George 1er
Glad this showed well (because my other bottle was the corked Comtes). Black cherry, dirt, orange zest. A little leathery note. Drinking well but no hurry. A-/B+

1995 CVNE Vina Real Gran Riserva
Quite young, peppery red fruit, sandalwood. B+ for now, would love to revisit in a decade.

2014 Lapierre “Marcel Lapierre” Morgon
Black raspberry, undergrowth, leather, midweight. B+/B

2004 Jadot “Clos de la Barre” Volnay 1er
No greenie meanies here. Pretty, mature, ready to go. Red and black cherries, cocoa. Fine tannins, good balance. B+/A-

Really fun night with a really good group!

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.