Dom Perignon prices?

Jeff and Leslie

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
Hello,
We plan to buy a bottle of Dom Perignon to celebrate the new year. The price
at out local wine store is $124. I have also seen it at Sam's Club (similar
to Costco) for $106. My question is: Should I pay more for the piece of mind
that comes from knowing that my bottle will have been stored and handled
properly, or do you think the cheaper bottle would be fine? Anyone have a
bad experience with Sam's Club wine (or a good experience?)

Thanks in advance

Jeff
Lexington, KY

Jorge Franchi

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
Jeff and Leslie wrote in message...

>I have also seen it at Sam's Club (similar to Costco) for $106.

Sam's has a '88 Dom P. for $106.

>My question is: Should I pay more for the piece of mind
>that comes from knowing that my bottle will have been stored and handled
>properly, or do you think the cheaper bottle would be fine? Anyone have a
>bad experience with Sam's Club wine (or a good experience?)

Good question as I have wondered the same thing. It usually feels hot inside of
Sam's during the summer. Thus, I wonder how they were brought to the store.

Jorge Franchi

Marc Branch

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
Champagne is notoriously sensitive to its storage conditions. I would
opt for the better provenance, if it can be verified.

marc

Al Samuelson

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
Buy at the Costco. The inventory turn is very high. Not to say that in all
cases price is the only consideration.
Not enough time for the wine to go bad under the bright lights and
temperature. Small stores also tend to have more concentrated "hot spots".
Unless of course you want to spend more...I may have a bridge for sale.

"Marc Branch" <bra...@psych.ufl.edu> wrote in message

thee...@my-deja.com

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
Jeff,

1. If you are not buying a lot of bottles, this is a $18 decision.

2. I actually asked Sam's club 's staff once how they transport the wine
(It was a dom perignon and something else) and how long that bottle has
been displayed proudly right under the flourescent tube(about 3 inches
from it). I put my hands to the glass cabinet that held the premium
wines and sense the warmth from the glass. We all know what our
body temperature is.

Sams and costco do have a high turnover, unfortunately, not on the
premium wines. Ask the local store to get the specifics. Just remember,
it still costs you $108 to get that bottle if it has been sitting there
for months under UV without the sunscreen protection...

3. Don't always believe your local wine store do much better in
handling wines than Sams. Some of them are indeed very careful but many
of them store the wines in sub-optimal conditions. That is ok if it is
a young wine or a sturdy wine. Premium champagne is not in that
category though.

Happy hunting,

Edwin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

maverickman

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
I have bought quite a few bottles of Dom P. (that is my short nick name for it) from Costco and my g/f can't tell the difference from the well preserved bottles and I really can't either. For the price that Costco sells it at which is appox. $88 I can't complain.

Meldon