TN: Prum, Mugnier, CFE, JAdot, Rhys, etc

dalewilli...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2021, 8:25:15 AM8/24/21
Betsy was out of town, but Dana was here, we went over to her aunt’s for a birthday dinner. Cal had made a spread for do it yourself rice bowls (5 spice pork, kimchi, cucumbers, eggs, daikon, avocado, etc )

2008 JJ Prum Bernkastler Badstube Riesling Kabinett
In a very good place, slatey and citrusy, just a hint of petrol. Nice acidic balance. Going to start working through these. B+/B

1988 Jadot Chapelle-Chambertin
Birthyear for D.Quite refined for ‘88 and Jadot, red cherry and plum, spice, damp earth. Still a bit of tannin, but quite approachable. A-/B+

Met friends at the park concert, I threw together 2 salads (shrimp/avocado/tomato, smoked duck/stilton/arugula) and carried wine.Plenty of notes on 2020 Baudry Chinon Rose already- I like.

2015 Thomas Morey “Les Dents de Chiens” Chassagne-Montrachet 1er
Full, rich, pear and a light marzipan note. Moderate acids. B+/B

2019 Guigal Cotes du Rhone blanc
Floral leaning towards musky, thick textured, low acid. Not my style but I’m not big white Rhone guy. C+

No wine Thursday, but Friday Betsy was back, we had family dinner on patio with a guest from Denmark
Oysters with Asian mignonette and ikura
2008 Piper Heidsieck Brut Champagne
This is a pretty good Champagne, but doesn’t measure up to some other 2008s. Apple, toast meets brioche, a little citrus. Nice mousse. B

Hmart marinated meats (chicken, pork belly, bulgogi), oyster mushrooms, rice, baby Shanghai greens
2010 Rhys Alpine Pinot Noir
Stemmy, crunchy cranberry and raspberry, a little pine. Interesting, but this needs to integrate a bit to be tasty. For now B/B-

Saturday just Betsy and I - grey sole, green beans, potatoes with truffle butter
2008 Boulay “La Comtesse” Sancerre
Fresh and shockingly young, yet complex and in a glorious place. Grapefruit , green apple, and citrus blossom, with a long chalky finish. A-

Tropical storm Henri came to town, lots of rain but no real scary winds, had a guest over for dinner

Oysters (mignonette, Asian mignonette with ikua, or lemon)
2018 Picq Chablis
More zippy than some 2018s, pretty classic profile, lemon and flint. B/B+

5 spice duck breast, mujaddara, roasted vegetables (carrot, parsnip, radish), and salad
2004 Mugnier “ Clos de la Marechale” Nuits-St-Georges 1er
Opened as a tribute to Becky Wasserman. The greenie meanies have pretty much gone, only a faint pine needle meets oregano note. Black raspberry, black tea, a little smoke and the herbal note. Very nice wine but seems like time to drink up. B+

Monday bluefish Dijonnais, leftover mujaddara, burrata caprese, and salad. Wine was the 2001 Trimbach 375eme Cuvee Frederic Emile Riesling. I bought a bunch of this but not enough. Apple, wet rocks, a hint of petrol. Balanced, long, and lovely. A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.