TN: White Palmer, & better wines (Faiveleys, Pomerols, Huet. etc)

dalewilli...@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2022, 6:43:59 PM8/14/22
No wines Monday (pasta with artichoke), just leftovers with fish tacos Tues,

Wednesday an old neighbor was in town, and Betsy and I met her and some other neighbors at Harpers. I ordered a glass of Hiedler Gruner Veltiner to go with my stuffed trout (fennel and leeks). I was then a little nonplussed when describing white choices to another said “well, the Gruner Veltliner and the Riesling are a little sweet.” I doubted her re the GV, and wine confirmed. Pear, green plum, a little pea. Moderate acids, easy to drink. B

Thursday headed up to Mark and Nancy’s, where they had a nice spread of D’Artagnan charcuterie and cheese from Second Mouse, Congenial group gathered on the deck

2016 Doyard Clos de l’Abbaye Extra Brut Champagne
Good, full, but I would not have guessed Extra Brut or BdB blind. Rich,nutty, long with sweet pear fruit and hazelnut.B+/B

2018 Hatzidakis Skitali
Broadframed but with strong tangy acids, long and saline. B+/A-

2014 Blanc de Palmer
Never knew Palmer made a white, and now question why they do. Peach and apple cider, nutty oxidative notes, shrill despite not especially high acids. C+

2 2014 Pomerols, blind (we know the wines, just not which is which)

#1 Big cassis fruit , herbs, truffles. Powerful, I agree with MArk when he correctly says its the
2014 Vieux Chateau Certan. A-/A potential (I’m not much for drinking under-10 Bordeaux).
#2- Red and black plums, a pleasant tobacco leaf herbiness that some call green, elegant. 2014 La Conseillante.B+/A- potential.

2014 Dunn Cabernet Sauvignon
Ripe, slightly roasted, glossy, Jean Louis called in a Cabernet Auslese. C+

1981 Faiveley Les Cazetiers Gevrey Chambertin 1er
What a beauty from a mostly panned vintage. Red cherries, sandalwood, gamebirds. Elegant resolved, a pointe. A-

1987 Faiveley Bonne Mares
Quite pleasant if maybe a little creaky, slightly roast black cherries, forest floor, mushrooms. Maybe better a decade ago but still enjoyable. B

1949 Huet Le Haut Lieu Vouvray Moelleux
Apricot, honey, wax,and wool, long and complex. Lingering mineral and beeswax finish, yippee., A-/A

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.