TN: Rieslings, Loires, Champagne, St. Emilion, WA. Langhe

1 view

dalewilli...@gmail.com

Sep 15, 2021, 9:59:26 AM9/15/21
Some friends came over Friday- lovely night on patio - smoked mussels, shrimp, burrata caprese, grilled salmon, sausages, squash.

2017 Pepiere Clisson Muscadet
Full, citrus and saline, good length.B+

2016 Guion “Cuvee Domaine” Bourgueil
Dark fruit, herbs, pine needle. Tasty if not very long. B

2018 Cavallotto Langhe Nebbiolo
Structured for Langhe Nebbiolo, plenty of tannic, but still quite quaffable. Noce balance, sappy red fruits, long finish. If blind and you told me Barolo I wouldn’t hsve blinked. B+/A-

Saturday just me with swordfish steaks, Chioggia beets, kale.
2001 Trimbach “Cuvee Frederic Emile” Riesling
Stony/seashell, petrol, white peach. Racy, lively, long. In the spot. A-

Some friends hard hit by flood came over to use shower and laundry, and had another friend join us all for dinner. Lots of food- shrimp cocktail, smoked mussel canapes, radish leaf pesto on radish, oysters. Caprese. Steak, sausage, potato salad, wax beans, green salad, cheeses.

Wines were all ones that were on floor when Ida came.

NV Bremont “Cuvee Prestige” Riesling
Lovely and long in a big ripe style. B+/B

2017 Bouley “La Comtesse” Sancerre
Young, snappy, citrus and a hint of grass. Long and balanced. A-

2004 Ch. Pavie-Macquin
Soft and lush, black plum fruit, mocha. A bit international. B

2014 Rotie Cellars Southern Blend
I thought this was a bit over the hill, but one guest loved (I opened because I remembered him liking on release). Kirsch, rather jammy fruit, a little ashtray. C+/B-

No wine Monday as I went to city, Tuesday I did cod in a green Thai curry (jarred sauce) over soba. Wine was the 2015 Koehler-Ruprecht Kallstadter Saumagen Riesling Spatlese Trocken). Nice contrast to the CFE, brawny, with pear and peach, smoke, gunflint. Very interesting (and tasty). A-/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.