TN: Kalin, rimbach, Karthauserhof, Huet, Lahaye, Jadot, etc

dalewilli...@gmail.com

Nov 15, 2022, 4:13:59 PM11/15/22
I thought Betsy was just roasting a chicken, but turns out she was doing harissa chicken. So I ditched the Gamay and opened the 2014 Karthauserhof Eitelsbacher Karthauserhofberg Spatlese. When we start talking about great MSR estates we usually start with JJPrum, EMuller,WilliS, maybe Selbach, MaxGrun, or FHaag. But seems like most times I open a Karthauserhof I smile. Snappy acids, citrus and cherry, complex with lanolin, cherry blossoms, and honeycomb. Long finish, A-/B+

Halibut, swiss chard with bacon and hot sauce, pasta with a shallot sauce
2001 Kalin Semillon
Saline, appleskin, lemons, good acids, a light almond note, different and fun! B+

Some friends were supposed to have a 25th anniversary party this spring, but it was postponed when Betsy got COVID and I was not comfortable possibly exposing others (though I dodged it that time). But 11 of us gathered at our house Sunday to revive the event. They ordered Indian food delivered (hara bara, fish, chicken, aloo gobi, lamb curry, dal, papadum, naan, etc). Besides the 1997s for them, I opened an 1987 (the reschedule date ended up being a 35 anniversary of another relationship) and a 1962 to celebrate 3 folks’ recent 60ths.

NV Lahaye Brut Nature
11/2018 disgorgement. Quite generous on the approach for a nature, with pear and grapefruit, light nutty notes (but not advanced or oxidative), long steely finish. B+

2019 Drouhin Rully
Ripe, pear,almond, a little fat,. B/B-

1997 Trimbach Gewurztraminer Vendanges Tardives
I was looking for ‘97 Riesling, but retrieved this from a box I keep meaning to send to Winebid. Glad I didn’t, nice showing. Firm acids for Gewurz, pineapple and lychee with some spicy notes. It doesn’t hold well overnight, but with dinner B+

1962 Huet Le Haut Lieu Vouvray Demi-Sec
Quite good, but not the stunner I hoped for. It was quite alive (and did just fine overnight) and fun, but lacked a bit of a wow factor. .Dried apricot, apple, with a hint of beeswax.Lively, and fun to open for the ‘62 cohort. B+/B

1997 Jadot Clos de la Roche (mag)
Good acids, sweet cherry fruit, some sandalwood and a hint of barnyard. Very nice for vintage (only ‘97 Burgs I own are Jadot- go Jacques). B+

1987 Kalin Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve (Sonoma)
My WOTN. Beautifully mature without a hint of tiredness, blackcurrant and black cherry,sweet fruit that doesn’t hit you over the head, some tobacco leaf, menthol and slightest hint of bell pepper. Long, elegant, a pointe. A-

Lovely night with some of my oldest friends.
Hake with peppers, leftover chard, sweet potato, and salad.
2021 Settlement Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough)
The 3G network- grass,grapefruit, and Garfield. It’s been a while since I had catpee SB, but this is it. There seems to be a little RS, I think this would appeal to some B-/C+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.