TN: Whites, roses, and one red

dalewilli...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2022, 4:23:01 PM7/19/22
Grilled mahi mahi with leftover risotto, and the 2018 Hatzidakis “Skitali” Assyrtiko. Full but with bright acids, lees and limestone, thymey herbs, quite long. B+/A-

Saturday we went over to Betsy’s sister’s. We brought tapas to start- queso con anchoas (manchego, peppers, anchovies), chorizo in red wine, olives, etc. Cal made an excellent
chicken/seafood paella and green salad, there were lots of dessert options

2021 Canorgue Rose (Luberon)
Strawberries, raspberries, and a little peach, decent and refreshing on a hot day B/B-

2018 Zarate Balado Albarino
Bright, zippy, seashells and a hint of grass. Really enjoy.A-/B+

2020 Paquet Bourgogne blanc.
Green apple and lime, no apparent oak, good acids, decent length. B

Back home, I tried the wine I had used for the chorizo, the 2019 Chermette Les Trois Roches Moulin-a-Vent. Apparently not using the Vissoux domaine name anymore.Excellent MaV, deep black raspberry and cherry, a little espresso and smoke, herby finish. Juicy but structured. B+/A-

Sunday started with oysters, a favorite squid salad with trumpet and maitake mushrooms and lemon.
2020 Pepiere Briords Muscadet
Crisp and classic, seashell and saline, when do I not love Briords? A-/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.