TN: Pauillac, Auxeym, St Jom, Morgon, Champagne Rias Baixas

dalewilli...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2022, 1:00:16 PM12/5/22
NV Eric Rodez Cuvee des Crayeres Champagne Brut was big and mildly oxidative, nice mousse, good finish, but plenty of bubbles I like more for less than this $50 tag. B-/B

Thursday HMart marinated bulgogi, miso rice, and Chinese mustard greens
2021 Barou “Un Autre Monde” St. Joseph
Primary black fruits, spice, subdued. Pretty grapey for drinking now, B-, but think some cellar time will bring this around

Friday was unusual ingredient night- pork chops with a blueberry/sumac rub, broccoli with colatura di alici, potatoes with truffle oil
2013 Lapierre Morgon (S) seems soft and fully mature, black cherries and orange blossoms, soft finish. B

Saturday oysters (Fat Baby vs Mystic), grey sole, swiss Chard,and couscous salad,
2019 Lafouge “Les Hautes” Auxey-Duresses blanc
Lovely pear and green apple fruit, with accents of lime zest and chalk. Solid acid backbone, I should pay more attention toi the Lafouge whites. B+/A-

Sunday we met another couple at Ibiza in Chappaqua for Betsy’s birthday,. Chorizo croquetas, manila clams with white beans, fried eggplant, octopus with grilled bomba rice withpaprika, crispy broccolini with Romesco sauce, potatoes with salsa brava and alioli , duck breast with grilled polenta, short ribs with whipped potatoes, chocolate mousse. Great meal.

2021 Karina Victoria Albarino
Mild, grassy, innocuous, Ron liked. B-/C+

1983 Pichon Lalande
Great showing. This has always been a wine about elegance, but there’s no lack of power. Cassis, cigarbox, a little menthol. Quite long. No hurry here, A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.