2005 Chasse Spleen

Graham

Jan 3, 2024, 12:05:04 AMJan 3
According to the Johnson handbook, this should have been ready to drink
in 2014. They couldn't have tasted it then.
I opened a bottle last night (bought on release) and the tannin was so
pronounced that very little fruit came through. The colour was so deep
and dense, I was reminded of the "Black wine of Cahors."
Thankfully, I don't have another bottle because at my age, I don't
think I'll be around when it would be ready to drink.
Graham

Graham

Jan 3, 2024, 9:43:57 AMJan 3
I checked the racks this morning and, dammit, I do have another:-(

Dan the Man

Jan 4, 2024, 12:06:37 PMJan 4
Perhaps, it could be repurposed as cooking wine?

Dan-O (just a thought)

Graham

Jan 4, 2024, 3:35:03 PMJan 4
I suppose so but I'm reluctant to do that considering the original price.
I will decant the 2nd bottle and let it sit for a couple of hours
when I get around to it.
Graham

dalewilli...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2024, 2:12:49 PMJan 8
2005 is a indeed a structured vintage. If aging isn't a real option, I think you are on right track with the decant.