TN: Chinon and Chassagne

1 view

dalewilli...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2024, 4:27:45 PMFeb 2
A couple of days without wine (salmon and quinoa, Japanese chicken curry), but Wednesday to accompany “London broil” (top round) in a peri-peri marinade, slaw, and sweet potato, opened the 2010 Baudry Grezeaux Chinon. Lovely showing. On the nose a little hint of barnyard, but plenty of black cherry and coffee.On palate the fruit is a snappier black raspberry, with (tasty) green notes. With air there’s more of a saddle leather profile. Nice acids, easy tannins, very long finish. Drinking beautifully but no hurry. A-

Last night haddock with roasted tomatoes and shallot, roasted parsnips/sunchokes, broccoli with black olives, and salad. Wine was the 2014 Fontaine-Gagnard Chassagne-Montrachet. Pear, hazelnut, lemon, vanilla bean. Some white flower notes on nose after a while, very good length. Quite fine village wine, though I wish the oak was just a little more subdued. B+/B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.