TN: Loire, Nahe, Mosel, Burg, Madiran, Oz

dalewilli...@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2022, 2:55:01 PM10/25/22
With a guest visiting from NC last week
Shrimp pepperpot (kind of like gumbo)
2021 Brokenwood Semillon
Light bodied but with good persistence, floral with lovely citrus on palate, just a hint of RS. B

2011 Donnhoff Oberhauser Leistenberg Riesling Kabinett
Rich and sweet for Kabinett, but a pretty good acidic backbone for what is supposed to be a softer vintage. Lime, honeysuckle, this is aging fine. B+/B

Duck breast, duck fat potatoes, spinach
2014 Chevillon Nuits St George VV
OK I thought I had grabbed a 2013. Pretty tight, I put in decanter for an hour and it opened up considerably. Black cherry,a little cocoa, a minty herb note. Balanced, elegant. Friend who mostly drinks whites was enthralled. B+

Vietnamese takeout -shrimp summer roll, chicken summer roll. pork chop,beef pho, shrimp with vermicelli, sauteed greens
2007 Reinhold Haart Piesporter Goldtropfchen Riesling Kabinett
Another softer year, from a ripe/opulent vineyard, but again plenty of snappy acid. Pit and tropicalfruits, wet rocks, just a hint of petrol. Long, zippy,ready to go. A-

2021 Baudry Chinon Rose
Yes I still like it! B/B+

Strip steak, leftover veggies (Betsy and friend went to NYC for the Kite Runner)

1990 Perron Madiran
New producer to me (most of my Madiran experience is Montus or Boucasse).Kermit import. There’s life here- resolved tannin, cassis laced with black plum, a little tobacco.Nota lot of length or complexity, but a pleasant mature wine.Would not stick out if you put in middle of some Cru Bourgeois with age. B/B-

Back to just us for dinner
Oysters, blackfish (tautog) with a lemon-curry butter, broccoli
2002 Fichet Bourgogne Cote d’Or Vieille Vignes
Little matchstick that quickly blows off. Full, with pear and honeysuckle, enough acids to keep fresh, good length for level. B+/B

Dakdoritang (somewhat spicy chicken stew)
2009 Huet Le Haut Lieu Franc de Pieds Vouvray
Lovely, just a little off dry (sec-tendre), wooly, apple, honeycomb, orange blossoms. Concentrated yet delicate, really enjoyed. A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.