Non-Raw Sushi

1 view

Richard

Dec 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/23/99
Could anyone name the some of the most popular non-raw Sushi rolls. I would
like to know what to ask for if I make requests that should be fairly well
known by all Sushi chefs.

Thanks!

--
Richard
Crystal Sky Productions

Charles Demas

Dec 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/23/99
In article <UPq84.15824$1t2.2...@news.rdc1.md.home.com>,

Richard <Ric...@WowMe.com> wrote:
>Could anyone name the some of the most popular non-raw Sushi rolls. I would
>like to know what to ask for if I make requests that should be fairly well
>known by all Sushi chefs.

Spider roll. Soft shell crab

Unagi hand roll. Barbecued eel

As for non-raw sushi, there are also other forms beside rolls.

There's maki and nigiri.

I personally like tomago nigiri. Egg omelet sushi.

I also like oshinko maki. Pickle.

Also, I really like tako nigiri. Octopus

Crab is cooked to. I forget the name.

All the above are cooked, except the pickle, but you wouldn't want
the pickle cooked. :-)

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,

John Miller

Dec 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/23/99
Richard <Ric...@WowMe.com> wrote in message

> Could anyone name the some of the most popular non-raw Sushi rolls. I
would
> like to know what to ask for if I make requests that should be fairly well
> known by all Sushi chefs.

Not just rolls (maki), but nigiri, too! Popular ones include:
california roll cooked crab, avocado
kappamaki cucumber roll
tamago omelet
ebi cooked shrimp
unagi cooked freshwater eel
anago cooked sea eel

There are some "unpopular" ones, too:
nattomaki fermented soy bean
umeshisomaki pickled plum and shiso leaf

...and many more that others will add.

Don't be shy about simply asking the chef or waitress. They handle that
kind of request all the time.

Lionel Armstrong

Dec 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/23/99
Charles Demas <de...@sunspot.tiac.net> wrote:
> In article <UPq84.15824$1t2.2...@news.rdc1.md.home.com>,
> Richard <Ric...@WowMe.com> wrote:
>>Could anyone name the some of the most popular non-raw Sushi rolls. I would
>>like to know what to ask for if I make requests that should be fairly well
>>known by all Sushi chefs.

> Spider roll. Soft shell crab

> Unagi hand roll. Barbecued eel

There is also

Kappa Maki - Cucumber ( still raw, but not fish )

California Roll - Crab, Cucumber and Avocado ( inside-out )

BC Roll - Barbecued Salmon and other ingredients ( inside-out )

Dynamite Roll - Tempura Prawn ( inside-out )

* There are also some rolls with teriyaki chicken / beef / salmon.

*** Inside-out = rice is on the outside of nori ***

> As for non-raw sushi, there are also other forms beside rolls.

[snip]

> Crab is cooked to. I forget the name.

The name is Kani

Lionel Armstrong
E-mail: <<no...@vcn.bc.ca>>

Politically Incorrect T-shirts
<<http://notpc.tripod.com/t-shirts.htm>>

Sheryl

Dec 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/23/99
At most sushi bars, you can just tell them what you want and they'll do
it. Sort of a name your own roll. I did it yesterday.

Many of the rolls are given names by the particular restaurant. I
learned that what one place calls a Houston roll (here in Houston) is
totally different than what another places gives the same name. So my
recommendation is to read the menu, and if doesn't say exactly what the
ingredients are, ask.

Richard wrote:

> Could anyone name the some of the most popular non-raw Sushi rolls. I would
> like to know what to ask for if I make requests that should be fairly well
> known by all Sushi chefs.

Mike

Dec 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/23/99
Try a Salmon skin roll.

On Thu, 23 Dec 1999 15:02:12 GMT, "Richard" <Ric...@WowMe.com> wrote:

>Could anyone name the some of the most popular non-raw Sushi rolls. I would
>like to know what to ask for if I make requests that should be fairly well
>known by all Sushi chefs.
>
>Thanks!

mi...@aye.net<br>
Email to mike NOT mikeX<br>
Go to <a href="http://alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=AQO764" eudora="autourl">http://alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=AQO764</a> to be paid while surfing.<br>

Anonymous

Dec 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/23/99
Hi,

crunch anything rolls...like crunch shrimp, crawfish, etc...basically tempura
rolls

or a spider roll, tempura softshell crab rolls

shrimp is cooked

a futomaki (big roll) usually is all cooked and is usually a no fish roll
too...but I have seen it with prawn in germany (in munich, very good)

tomago (usually in the futomaki too) is cooked egg

eel (fresh or salt water) is cooked

crab

there's lots of non raw sushi

I often order it on like "off" fish nights...normally I do sushi on thursday
nights for the weeks big fish order...but if I should happen to visit on like
sunday I'd tend to order cooked sushi.

ttyl

akia

I don't think ama-ebi is cooked though

--

http://www.buchananreform.org/

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared,
then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own
bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia.
Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the
soldier, are the birth-right of an American... The unlimited
power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal
or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever
remain, in the hands of the people."
--- Tench Coxe

Richard

Dec 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/24/99
Thanks to EVERYONE for all the help!

--
Richard
Crystal Sky Productions

"Anonymous" <nob...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

Lee Min Min

Dec 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/24/99
hello
Is a sushi not one if it's non-raw?

min

John Miller

Dec 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/24/99
Lee Min Min <le...@singnet.com.sg> wrote in message

> hello
> Is a sushi not one if it's non-raw?

Yes . . . ummm, no . . . that is, sushi does not imply raw or not raw. What
all sushi has in common is vinegared rice. Raw fish is "sashimi."
--
Sushi or not sushi. There is no raw. -- Yoda

Ken Blake

Dec 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/24/99
Lee Min Min <le...@singnet.com.sg> wrote in message

> Is a sushi not one if it's non-raw?

Whether or not it's raw has nothing to do with whether it's
sushi. It's the vinegared rice that makes it sushi. What you
put on the rice can be almost anything--fish (raw or
cooked), vegetables, eggs, etc.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup.

Ken Blake

Dec 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/24/99

> I don't think ama-ebi is cooked though

Only the heads.

William Killian

Dec 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/24/99

Mike wrote:

> Try a Salmon skin roll.

My favorite as a hand roll...

--
bill and diane killian mailto:kil...@zenferret.com
zen and the art of ferrets mailto:kil...@mnsinc.com

ari...@pepper.eajenkins.earthlink.net

Dec 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/24/99
On Fri, 24 Dec 1999 22:37:26 +0800, Lee Min Min <le...@singnet.com.sg> wrote:
>hello

>Is a sushi not one if it's non-raw?
>
>min

No, there is sushi that is cooked, and it still counts as
sushi. :)

Ariane

Lee Sebel

Dec 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/24/99
In article <slrn8674ma....@pepper.eajenkins.earthlink.net>,
ari...@pepper.eajenkins.earthlink.net () wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Dec 1999 22:37:26 +0800, Lee Min Min <le...@singnet.com.sg> wrote:
> >hello
> >Is a sushi not one if it's non-raw?
> >
> >min
>
> No, there is sushi that is cooked, and it still counts as
> sushi. :)
>
> Ariane
>
> >Richard <Ric...@WowMe.com> wrote in message
> >> Could anyone name the some of the most popular non-raw Sushi rolls. I
> >would
> >> like to know what to ask for if I make requests that should be fairly well
> >> known by all Sushi chefs.

Agreed.

Any roll involving crab, including the omnipresent California Roll,
qualifies and if I'm not mistaken eel is always cooked, is it not?

Most of the times I have had albacore it has been seared on the outside,
so that kinda counts if you like a really rare steak.

I could be wrong, but any shrimp that is not "sweet shrimp" is cooked, and
when you order sweet shrimp you get the heads fried up.

As far as suggestions for rolls to try:

Most places I have been do a shrimp tempura roll of some sort, and you can
always order a spicy variation of any roll offered.

When in season you can get softshell crab rolls.

A couple of places I have been offered a tempura tuna roll.

Most places that do scallops broil them, though some do them raw so you
want to make sure. Scallops broiled in a mayo-like sauce with some tobiko
is one of my fave concoctions ever!

I hate spam, so be sure to remove a 'syn' before replying by email

Tonefully yours,
Lee Sebel / Cruise West Marketing
Representing Cruise Audio Systems
www.cruiseaudio.com

Paul Guertin

Dec 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/25/99
"Lee Min Min" <le...@singnet.com.sg> wrote:

> hello
> Is a sushi not one if it's non-raw?

It would not be a mistake not to call it "non-sushi".

Paul Guertin
p...@sff.net

Ken Blake

Dec 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/25/99
<ari...@pepper.eajenkins.earthlink.net> wrote in message
.

<le...@singnet.com.sg> wrote:
> >hello
> >Is a sushi not one if it's non-raw?
> >

> >min
>
> No, there is sushi that is cooked, and it still counts as
> sushi. :)

And, by the way, it shouldn't be forgotten that there is one
component of *all* sushi that is *always* cooked--the rice.
The common notion that sushi is just raw fish is wrong on a
variety of counts, not the least of which is that, without
the rice, it isn't sushi.

--

A B C D E
F G H I J