Roe for sushi

BPego

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99

I think that orange stuff is some kind of roe....but....what kind?
Is it available for purchase retail?
Ex-GEnie, Queen.B

Lori Lee

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99

Small and crunchy is either Flying Fish Roe (Tobiko) or Smelt Roe
(Masago). Larger, softer eggs are Salmon Roe (Ikura). Any or all
should be available at an Oriental grocery that sells fish, or a very
good fish monger, or perhaps through a caviar retailer.

Good luck,

BPego

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99

Thank you so much. I don't think the roe has much flavor, but I like the way
it crunches between my teeth...
Ex-GEnie, Queen.B

Essa333

Jan 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/31/99
> I don't think the roe has much flavor, but I like the way
>it crunches between my teeth...
>Ex-GEnie, Queen.B

I am so with you on that!!!!

Dawn Draheim

Feb 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/1/99
Essa333 wrote in message <19990131092449...@ng25.aol.com>...

Really? I think that masago does have a flavor, mildly sweet upfront and a
bit
salty afterwards. But the crunch definitely rocks! :)

Dawn Draheim
d...@cyberramp.net

Essa333

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99
>Really? I think that masago does have a flavor, mildly sweet upfront and a
>bit
>salty afterwards. But the crunch definitely rocks! :)
>
>Dawn Draheim
>d...@cyberramp.net

You know, it probabley does have a terrific taste! I'm so busy crunching that I
didn't notice! I just love the way it pops!

Jennifer

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99

>You know, it probabley does have a terrific taste! I'm so busy crunching
that I
>didn't notice! I just love the way it pops!

I totally agree with you>

A69...@webtv.net

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99
Which roe are you talking about??
Either way, you can buy at Japanese or Korian market.
You must be talking about either Ikura ( salmon roe ) or Tobiko ( flying
fish roe ).
Tobiko is these days, manmade roe most of the time. . I mean it is not
real roe. Casing is plastic unless you find the real one.

There are more roe used for sushi, but I avoided them since they are not
popular in sushi restaurant in US.

Japanese sushi chef

JENNIFER BRADFORD

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99

On 2 Feb 1999, Essa333 wrote:

> >Really? I think that masago does have a flavor, mildly sweet upfront and a
> >bit
> >salty afterwards. But the crunch definitely rocks! :)
> >
> >Dawn Draheim
> >d...@cyberramp.net
>

> You know, it probabley does have a terrific taste! I'm so busy crunching that I
> didn't notice! I just love the way it pops!

i totally agree with the sweet/salty analysis...but i get a little hint
of nutty flavor, too.

and i really love the POP!

jen bradford
tat...@lunch.org

Nesto

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99
Here,here,
I can't get enough of the stuff. we have a gourmet market here that sells it by the
ounce. I eat it like caviar. Gave a taste to my 16 month old daughter and she
wouldn't leave me alone asking for more. Gotta get them started young!

BPego

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99

Shad Roe....I think that's what's used....
But, it could be smelt roe. Makes more $$$ sense.

Minnesota doesn't have a lot of oriental markets that sell Japanese
things...mostly Korean....too spicy for my taste.
And, the KITSUNE flavors have changed...so, those noodles I LOVED are not the
same....

Guess it's time for a west coast visit.

Ex-GEnie, Queen.B

JENNIFER BRADFORD

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99

personally, i was speaking of masago, smelt roe. this type of roe has
been available at every u.s. sushi restaurant i've ever been to. maybe
i'm just lucky :)

-jen
tat...@lunch.org

Gastronome

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99
>Tobiko is these days, manmade roe most of the time. . I mean it is not
>real roe. Casing is plastic unless you find the real one.

Plastic.. yeah right...

Maychance Frycook got a webtv account?

Hmmm.. plastic coated roe for troll bait....

The 2 of us

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99
I couldn't agree more about starting them young. Our 2 year old twin girls
LOVE going for sushi. We sit in a private room so they can't run around.
They drink miso soup and snack on every type of sushi that mom and dad eat.
We love it!

Ken Blake

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99
JStONGE123 wrote in message
<19990203223926...@ng25.aol.com>...

>IT'S SMELT ROE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>YOU CAN CATCH ALL YOU WANT ANYWHERE ALONG THE GREAT LAKES
AFTER ICEOUT!!!!!!!!!

What's smelt roe? If you don't quote the message you're
responding to, your message ends up incomprehensible, as did
this one.

And please don't yell at us.

Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup, but if you want
to send me E-mail, delete the "X" in my address

JStONGE123

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
IT'S SMELT ROE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU CAN CATCH ALL YOU WANT ANYWHERE ALONG THE GREAT LAKES AFTER ICEOUT!!!!!!!!!

Now that we have that settled.

Essa333

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
>> Which roe are you talking about??

I was just talking about roe in general. I love those little explosions!!

Essa

Dan Logcher

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99

I had herring roe sushi not too long ago, and although it had the snappy roe
explosion.. it had a quite bitter after taste. The roe came in a long solid
piece like crab stick. Once you bite into it, it breaks up into the little
roe eggs. Not as salty tasting, very bitter. Perhaps I had less than fresh
herring roe.

--
Dan

BPego

Feb 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/5/99

Question for jstog123 (or whatever)...

How does one preserve smelt roe?

Husband went smelt 'fishing' when he was younger...

Smelt roe for sushi is orange... as I remember, smelt roe directly from the
fish is yellow....

Betty in Minnesota
Ex-GEnie, Queen.B

Dan Logcher

Feb 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/5/99

All roes used in sushi are dyed colors, red, orange, green. The natural
color for most roes is a brownish color. Not very appealing for sushi,
so a dye is used.

--
Dan

Gleb Arshinov

Feb 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/5/99

Dan> All roes used in sushi are dyed colors, red, orange, green.
Dan> The natural color for most roes is a brownish color. Not
Dan> very appealing for sushi, so a dye is used.

Salmon roe is naturally red, actually.

Gleb

nos...@pd.jaring.my

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99
I haven't had herring roe sushi, but maybe the gallbladder/stomach burst due
to bad handling of the fish? Freshness probably counts.

Fish roe is one of my favourites too. For the ones where the little eggs are
really small it's quite nice deep fried as well.. Oops deviating from sushi
:).

Over here some people seem to be labelling ebiko as prawn eggs. Is that
correct?

Link.

>I had herring roe sushi not too long ago, and although it had the snappy roe
>explosion.. it had a quite bitter after taste. The roe came in a long solid
>piece like crab stick. Once you bite into it, it breaks up into the little
>roe eggs. Not as salty tasting, very bitter. Perhaps I had less than fresh
>herring roe.
>
>--
>Dan

Lori Lee

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99
On Mon, 08 Feb 1999 07:52:35 GMT, nos...@pd.jaring.my wrote:

>Over here some people seem to be labelling ebiko as prawn eggs. Is that
>correct?
>
>Link.

By the name alone, EbiKo is certainly the roe of prawn or shrimp.
Have never seen the stuff in person, how does it look? how does it
taste?

Dan Logcher

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99

Unless you mean a pale, brownish red.. Most of the salmon roe I've
seen served in sushi bars is brownish in color.

--
Dan

Lori Lee

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99
On Mon, 08 Feb 1999 12:08:41 -0500, Dan Logcher
<dlogcher@*xspam*.fmrco.com> wrote:

>Unless you mean a pale, brownish red.. Most of the salmon roe I've
>seen served in sushi bars is brownish in color.

Really? I have only ever seen Ikura presented as a bright orange/red
colour. Both as sushi and as salmon roe caviar. I'm sure the
colouring is artificial, but I have never seen it presented any other
way.

Dan Logcher

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99

Thats what I said orignally, that roes used in sushi are dyed to make the
color more appetizing. They usually are a dull brownish color.

I have seen tobiko and masago dyed bright red, green, and orange. Its very
obvious that its been colored.

--
Dan

nos...@pd.jaring.my

Feb 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/9/99
In article <36bf1203...@nntp.ix.netcom.com>,

The thing is I don't know if it is really shrimp/prawn roe. It's small like
medium fine grains of sand. Crunchy :), and tastes like roe. I know a few
people who won't eat the raw fish stuff but don't mind eating it. There's
also salmon roe.

I usually get it from the supermarket's sushi counter. I'm far from a sushi
expert, but the sushi I get there tastes ok. It could be because the
supermarket is part Japanese owned (Jusco)! Nigiri sushi - for
RM1.00-RM2.00/piece (approx USD0.25-USD0.50). Two tekka maki = RM2.80 nice
for snack on the run, a lot better than a McD burger :).

Cheerio,

Link.

Gleb Arshinov

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99

Lori> Really? I have only ever seen Ikura presented as a bright
Lori> orange/red colour. Both as sushi and as salmon roe caviar.
Lori> I'm sure the colouring is artificial, but I have never seen
Lori> it presented any other way.

Salmon roe is naturally orange/red (the color differs depending on the
kind of salmon that produced it, and, possibly, other factors). If
you've ever seen the color of salmon's flesh this is not surprising.
So, salmon caviar is not dyed, as the natural color is sufficiently
appealing.

Dan> Thats what I said orignally, that roes used in sushi are dyed
Dan> to make the color more appetizing. They usually are a dull
Dan> brownish color.

Dan> I have seen tobiko and masago dyed bright red, green, and
Dan> orange. Its very obvious that its been colored.

I've also seen tobiko & masago which looked obviously dyed. However,
green tobiko could also be wasabi tobiko (yum).

Gleb

Dan Logcher

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
> Dan> I have seen tobiko and masago dyed bright red, green, and
> Dan> orange. Its very obvious that its been colored.
>
> I've also seen tobiko & masago which looked obviously dyed. However,
> green tobiko could also be wasabi tobiko (yum).
>
> Gleb

Yes it was the wasabi tobiko. Quite tastey, but I think they added green
dye as well. It was greener than it should be for wasabi added.

I'm used to seeing tobiko and masago in the orange. When I saw it in the
bright red, it struck me funny. Not used to the color.

--
Dan

under...@webtv.net

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
get amaebi(sweet shrimp) in shell.
You will find them between their legs.(female shrimp)
They are greenish, blueish color.