Chorizo, What Brand is Good

Sherry

Oct 30, 2001, 2:40:35 PM10/30/01
I shop at HEB in Texas and I see alot of different brands of chorizo.
What should I look for in chorizo and what brand is good? What do I
avoid?

Thanks,
Sherry

Michael Bolner

Nov 1, 2001, 9:03:56 AM11/1/01
Typically the more expensive ones have less fat and fillers. Read the
lables for ingredients and fat content. That is a good start. Also, the
flavor profiles differ as do the amount of color that will come out into
the dish you are cooking.

If I don't make it myself, I use the Kiolbassa chorizo. Seems to have the
best flavor and lowest fat content.

Mike

Jerry Jungmann

Nov 1, 2001, 10:16:17 AM11/1/01
I like the H & H, San Manuel and Apco brands. San Manuel and one of the
Apco chorizos are in natural casing which gives the option of cooking it as
a link- rather than in crumbles.

Jerry

"Sherry" <ze...@texas.net> wrote in message

David Wright

Nov 1, 2001, 10:53:18 AM11/1/01

"Jerry Jungmann" <jun...@usa.com> wrote in message

> I like the H & H, San Manuel and Apco brands. San Manuel and one of the
> Apco chorizos are in natural casing which gives the option of cooking it
as
> a link- rather than in crumbles.
>
> Jerry

Jerry,

Are these brands available at our local HEB?

David

Jerry Jungmann

Nov 1, 2001, 11:36:23 AM11/1/01

> > I like the H & H, San Manuel and Apco brands. San Manuel and one of the
> > Apco chorizos are in natural casing which gives the option of cooking it
> as
> > a link- rather than in crumbles.
> >
> > Jerry
>
> Jerry,
>
> Are these brands available at our local HEB?
>
> David

Yes, David, but the last time I checked the Apco brand was in the plastic
casing rather than the natural. In fact, the last time I bought it I
didn't pay attention. When I opened the package at home, I realized that it
was in plastic - no big deal - the sausage was still good, but I had to
change my menu plan slightly.

Jerry

David Wright

Nov 1, 2001, 11:59:09 AM11/1/01
I love it when you say "slightly." ;-)

"Jerry Jungmann" <jun...@usa.com> wrote in message

Michael Bolner

Nov 2, 2001, 10:51:23 AM11/2/01
Just came from the brand new HEB Wurzbach and I-10 in San Antonio. Chroizo
manufacturers represented were Garcia (who also does Hill Country Fare), Laxon
(Alamo brand), Kiolbassa, Cacique (from California), Jimmy Dean, Apco, and La
Rancherita. Not one had natural casing listed....interesting, most have a
statement "to remove casing before eating", but not all.

Wide variety of "cereal added" versions as well as "all natural, no cereal
added" versions.

Also, no turkey or chicken chorizo.......guess we can't ruin everything in the
name of health....

Mike

tejas

Nov 2, 2001, 5:04:46 PM11/2/01
Kiolbassa chorizo?
There's an ethnic cross-over I haven't heard of. (I am from S Texas and know
about the Poles near Karnes City, though..)

But up here in Yanqui-landia, we have several types of Spanish, several
types of
Salvadoren~o, & some Mexican chorizo in the tiendas.

Do they still make CHORIZO DIXIE in San Anto? I think they were near the
Sanitary Tortilla Factory in El West Side.

Ted

"Michael Bolner" <spic...@texas.net> wrote in message

Mark Preston

Nov 2, 2001, 5:27:23 PM11/2/01
As a Mexicophile, I have learned to make my own chorizo. Even my
Mexican friends will eat it, although, they close their eyes when the
take a bite.
Just kidding. I do make my own sausage though. I want to add a word
about chorizo make with "innards". I prefer it that way. But my own is
always made with 1/2 pork, 1/2 beef.

I've read of chorizo made green with acelgas (swiss chard). I've never
been able to buy any.

No, I won't give up my recipe. It took years to get to where I like it
just fine.

Lastly, I've purchased commercial chorizo and smoked it with pecan
wood. (COLD smoked that is), but as I seem to be addressing Texans, I
expect no confusion.

David Wright

Nov 2, 2001, 6:14:50 PM11/2/01

"tejas" <tbsa...@infi.net> wrote in message

> Kiolbassa chorizo?
> There's an ethnic cross-over I haven't heard of. (I am from S Texas and
know
> about the Poles near Karnes City, though..)

It's the family name, so they could, if they wanted to, advertise Kiolbassa
kiolbassa. ;-)

> But up here in Yanqui-landia, we have several types of Spanish, several
> types of
> Salvadoren~o, & some Mexican chorizo in the tiendas.
>
> Do they still make CHORIZO DIXIE in San Anto? I think they were near the
> Sanitary Tortilla Factory in El West Side.

Don't know about that, but the Sanitary Tortilla Factory is still around.
(That's also the name of a nice northern New Mexico-style restaurant in
Albuquerque.)

David

Jerry Jungmann

Nov 3, 2001, 12:47:51 PM11/3/01
The HEB at Thousand Oaks and Jones-Maltsberger has even more brands,
including San Manuel in pork and beef versions with natural casing. The
"Suggested Serving", however, still suggests removing the meat from the
case.

Over here we don't live in a "safe" neighborhood - yes, our HEB even has
Mama Garcia's TURKEY chorizo! ;-)

Jerry

"Michael Bolner" <spic...@texas.net> wrote in message

Michael Bolner

Nov 5, 2001, 8:21:34 AM11/5/01
Dixie was one of the lesser brands Raul Jimenez used to produce. It is no longer
made. The Jimenez premium chorizo was very good. One of the special ingredients
was ground cloves.....

The factory was on Delaware and Hackberry, not far from Sanitary tortillia.

Nov 7, 2001, 4:46:44 PM11/7/01
Garcia is what we use.

"Michael Bolner" <spic...@texas.net> wrote in message

rwarren43

Nov 11, 2001, 6:13:46 AM11/11/01
I grew up in Miami, Florida, and Chorizo is used in all kinds of foods down
there. Now I'm stuck in Indiana, and can't find the stuff very often. This
site has links to a Cuban Online market, out of Miami, and they have a great
variety of products to choose from, with Chorizo being one of them.
Hope this helps?

Randy W...

http://www.icuban.com/index.html

Marylina

Nov 14, 2001, 9:25:05 PM11/14/01
I love to make my own, it is so easy to make and I freeze extra. I started
making my own when we had our 3 children at home and were raising our own
pork. Now it is just the 2 of us, so I make it about once every 3 mos. and
freeze it and share it with the children. I now have to buy my pork for it,
you can also make it out of beef, but I do not like it as well. Marylina

Charlie & Jenni Alvarez

Dec 11, 2001, 4:29:26 PM12/11/01
All the replies notwithstanding....the HEB on Walnut Ave.in New
Braunfels, where I grew up(I'm in Michigan now) made their own chorizo
fresh....I've noticed that a lot of the commercial brands use crap like
pork salivary glands and that kinda turned me off of them. Now, even
here in MI, I look carefully at the labels and only buy the fresh stuff
if it's available

Charlie

David Cannaday

Jan 17, 2002, 2:26:10 AM1/17/02
I avoid any chorizo that contains fillers such as cereal. You can also make
your own if you would like to, it is pretty easy, I do not remember where I
saw a recipe for it, but I know I have at least one, if I find it I will
post it. David.

"Charlie & Jenni Alvarez" <cnjal...@lni.net> wrote in message

hellopin...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2017, 12:47:37 PM3/9/17
Salvadorean chorizo is good. Some have a minty taste but so good. Mexican chorizo Jimenez is spicy. I'd recommend both. Here in Southern California Vallarta or ziggys in the San Fernando valley is the place to get Mexican chorizo. La tapachuteca for that good salvi chorizo.
Carlos p.

rgpe...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2018, 8:53:48 PM7/17/18
I like the Apco brand chorizo when I mix it with onions and drain it and add egg and slap it on a flour tortilla and your in heaven, brother.

bradle...@gmail.com

Nov 11, 2019, 5:28:33 PM11/11/19
On Tuesday, October 30, 2001 at 1:40:35 PM UTC-6, Sherry wrote:
Chorizo de San Manuel hands down is the best!

krist...@gmail.com

May 8, 2020, 12:09:23 PM5/8/20
Not a "safe neighborhood"? In what way? My friend lives over by The Y on 1000 Oaks, and we haven't experienced it as unsafe. Just curious about what you are referencing.