Looking for Basic Pan Dulce Recipe

82 views
Skip to first unread message

CCA

unread,
Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99
to
Hello, I trying to help a fellow "poster" out from another newsgroup.
Silkie posted a request for a basic pan dulce recipe in
rec.food.cooking. I suggested that the request should be posted here
but Silkie is unable to get this group...so I volunteered to post it.

Here is Silkie's request:

>I am looking for the dolce recipes . They are coarse in texture...and sometime
>filled some made with pumpkin .

>thanks
>silkie

Silkie explained that what is needed is a basic pan dulce recipe. If
you post any follow-ups to this, please copy Silkie at:

sstat...@aol.com

Thanks

CCA

CCA

unread,
Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99
to

Correction: Silkie's email is

Sstat...@aol.com

Sorry.

CCA


Victor M. Martinez

unread,
Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99
to
CCA <visualf...@nospambombergirl.com> wrote:
>I am looking for the dolce recipes . They are coarse in texture...and sometime
>filled some made with pumpkin .
>Silkie explained that what is needed is a basic pan dulce recipe. If
>you post any follow-ups to this, please copy Silkie at:

Hmm... filled with pumpkin? Maybe she meant empanadas? Anyhow, there is no
such thing as "basic pan dulce recipe". There are dozens of different types
of pan dulce in Mexico, some are available all over the country (conchas,
cuernos, orejas, cocoles, semitas, etc.) and some other are regional
specialties. They range from being basically pastries (orejas) to pretty
much cakes. The only common denominator I can think of is that they're all
yeast breads and they are all sweet. Other than that, every recipe is
different. Maybe if your friend is more specific.


--
Victor M. Martinez, Jr. | The University of Texas at Austin
mar...@che.utexas.edu | Department of Chemical Engineering
http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv | Austin, TX 78712
If we knew what we were doing it would not be called research, would it?

CCA

unread,
Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99
to
On 11 Jan 1999 18:30:32 GMT, mar...@bullwinkle.che.utexas.edu (Victor
M. Martinez) wrote:

>CCA <visualf...@nospambombergirl.com> wrote:
>>I am looking for the dolce recipes . They are coarse in texture...and sometime
>>filled some made with pumpkin .
>>Silkie explained that what is needed is a basic pan dulce recipe. If
>>you post any follow-ups to this, please copy Silkie at:
>
>Hmm... filled with pumpkin? Maybe she meant empanadas? Anyhow, there is no
>such thing as "basic pan dulce recipe". There are dozens of different types
>of pan dulce in Mexico, some are available all over the country (conchas,
>cuernos, orejas, cocoles, semitas, etc.) and some other are regional
>specialties. They range from being basically pastries (orejas) to pretty
>much cakes. The only common denominator I can think of is that they're all
>yeast breads and they are all sweet. Other than that, every recipe is
>different. Maybe if your friend is more specific.

When I read the original post I suspected perhaps it was empanadas,
however, in a follow-up email Silkie specifically said a basic Pan
Dulce. I think perhaps if a variety of recipes were posted that one
would find in a panaderia that would be sufficient.

I did a search in Deja News and saw your previous post for Pan de
Muertos. I tried to look at the other recipes on the site on your
post. I didn't see any that read Pan Dulce. I don't know the
language well and I may have overlooked something that would have been
some benefit.

By the way I had Pan de Muertos many years ago, doesn't it have a
similar texture of one of the Pan Dulce (the one shaped like an uncut
hamburger bun)?

CCA

Victor M. Martinez

unread,
Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99
to
CCA <visualf...@nospambombergirl.com> wrote:
>Dulce. I think perhaps if a variety of recipes were posted that one
>would find in a panaderia that would be sufficient.

I'm sorry, but the art of making bread in Mexico is now the sole property
of the panaderos. Nobody bakes their own bread anymore, specially not pan
dulce. I believe Diana Kennedy has a couple of recipes of some of the
most popular breads, but I've never seen recipes anywhere else.

>post. I didn't see any that read Pan Dulce. I don't know the

You won't find any anywhere.

>By the way I had Pan de Muertos many years ago, doesn't it have a
>similar texture of one of the Pan Dulce (the one shaped like an uncut
>hamburger bun)?

Hmmm.. I can think of at least 10 different pan dulces shaped like an uncut
hamburger bun... :)
Pan de Muerto is indeed pan dulce (literally, sweet bread, it applies to
any bread that is sweet). When you walk into a panaderia (bread store) in
Mexico, you'll see a large bin with bolillos (kinda like small baguettes,
the recipe varies from place to place) and dozens of trays of bread of
all shapes, colors, and sizes.

CCA

unread,
Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99
to
On 11 Jan 1999 21:08:57 GMT, mar...@bullwinkle.che.utexas.edu (Victor
M. Martinez) wrote:

>CCA <visualf...@nospambombergirl.com> wrote:
>>Dulce. I think perhaps if a variety of recipes were posted that one
>>would find in a panaderia that would be sufficient.
>
>I'm sorry, but the art of making bread in Mexico is now the sole property
>of the panaderos. Nobody bakes their own bread anymore, specially not pan
>dulce. I believe Diana Kennedy has a couple of recipes of some of the
>most popular breads, but I've never seen recipes anywhere else.
>
>>post. I didn't see any that read Pan Dulce. I don't know the
>
>You won't find any anywhere.
>
>>By the way I had Pan de Muertos many years ago, doesn't it have a
>>similar texture of one of the Pan Dulce (the one shaped like an uncut
>>hamburger bun)?
>
>Hmmm.. I can think of at least 10 different pan dulces shaped like an uncut
>hamburger bun... :)
>Pan de Muerto is indeed pan dulce (literally, sweet bread, it applies to
>any bread that is sweet). When you walk into a panaderia (bread store) in
>Mexico, you'll see a large bin with bolillos (kinda like small baguettes,
>the recipe varies from place to place) and dozens of trays of bread of
>all shapes, colors, and sizes.

I'm beginning to think Silkie is out of luck! I looked on the
internet and was surprised and disappointed (there were no recipes).
The funny thing about it is twenty five years ago in elementary school
a teacher gave me a copy of a recipe called pan dulce. I doubt I even
have it after all these years. I'm still looking.

I do have the following recipes:
Rosca de los Reyes
Semas
Peineta
Semitas
Pan de Naranja
Picones
Cuernos

Do any of these fall in the pan dulce category?

CCA

Do any of these
CCA

CCA

unread,
Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99
to
On Tue, 12 Jan 1999 03:35:51 -0600, "TOM CLAYTON"
<goo...@provalue.net> wrote:

>
>I believe pan dulce is Portuguese. You might have better luck with
>alt.culture.Hawaii
>
Pan dulce is a type of mexican sweet bread. I have had a type of
Portuguese sweet bread that is similar to the only type of pan dulce
I've tried (there are several types pan dulce). I tried the
Portuguese bread on Maui, it was used to make a very special french
toast.

Maybe the portuguese sweet bread has a similar name.

CCA

L Hodge

unread,
Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99
to
There's a pan dulce recipe at the following link:
http://www.kitchenlink.com/cgi/archive_frames?board=20&thread=
12053

I also have one in a Bernard Clayton cookbook (go figure?),
but it's way too long for me to try to re-type today. It's
also a little odd, having a chocolate filing.

Anyway, HTH.

Lori


L Hodge

unread,
Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99
to
Sorry, my software split up the link I sent, so you'll have to
add the last 5 numbers to the link yourself.

L Hodge wrote in message ...

Kat Tanaka

unread,
Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99
to
"Victor M. Martinez" wrote:
>
> CCA <visualf...@nospambombergirl.com> wrote:
> >I am looking for the dolce recipes . They are coarse in texture...and sometime
> >filled some made with pumpkin .
> >Silkie explained that what is needed is a basic pan dulce recipe. If
> >you post any follow-ups to this, please copy Silkie at:
>
> Hmm... filled with pumpkin? Maybe she meant empanadas? Anyhow, there is no
> such thing as "basic pan dulce recipe". There are dozens of different types
> of pan dulce in Mexico, some are available all over the country (conchas,
> cuernos, orejas, cocoles, semitas, etc.) and some other are regional
> specialties. They range from being basically pastries (orejas) to pretty
> much cakes. The only common denominator I can think of is that they're all
> yeast breads and they are all sweet. Other than that, every recipe is
> different. Maybe if your friend is more specific.

My stepdad's sister makes some sort of pan dulce filled with pumpkin.
They don't call them empanadas, AFAIK. The pumpkin is not mashed,
but just stewed, I think, or it's a coarse paste. It's not like
the pumpkin filling in American pies. I remember the bread being
very crumbly, like an eggy scone.

I'll have to see if Rosa can give me a recipe, but knowing her,
I bet she doesn't use any measurements, but just does it by eye.

Kat

--
spam filtered. To send e-mail remove the spamtrap.

TOM CLAYTON

unread,
Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
to

CCA

unread,
Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
to
On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 20:12:09 GMT, visualf...@nospambombergirl.com
(CCA) wrote:


>The funny thing about it is twenty five years ago in elementary school
>a teacher gave me a copy of a recipe called pan dulce. I doubt I even
>have it after all these years. I'm still looking.
>

Guess what? I found the recipe (referred to above) in a box of
discarded recipes after having it for about twenty five years. Go
figure...it's called Pan de Muerto and not Pan Dulce...lol. Thought I
had solved the big mystery...guess not.

CCA


TOM CLAYTON

unread,
Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
to

Victor M. Martinez

unread,
Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
to
L Hodge <lnh...@nospam.texas.net> wrote:
>There's a pan dulce recipe at the following link:
>http://www.kitchenlink.com/cgi/archive_frames?board=20&thread=
>12053

By the description, it looks like their idea of what "conchas" are.

Victor M. Martinez

unread,
Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
to
CCA <visualf...@nospambombergirl.com> wrote:
>Do any of these fall in the pan dulce category?

All except the pan de naranja, I think. Pan dulce is just sweet bread,
usually small. If it's not a pastry, a pie, a cake, or a bolillo, it's
pan dulce.

CCA

unread,
Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
to
On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 23:57:29 -0500, cor...@mediaone.net wrote:

I'll forward it. Maybe her neighbor can translate. Thanks.

CCA


CCA

unread,
Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
to
On 12 Jan 1999 14:59:40 GMT, mar...@bullwinkle.che.utexas.edu (Victor
M. Martinez) wrote:

>CCA <visualf...@nospambombergirl.com> wrote:
>>Do any of these fall in the pan dulce category?
>
>All except the pan de naranja, I think. Pan dulce is just sweet bread,
>usually small. If it's not a pastry, a pie, a cake, or a bolillo, it's
>pan dulce.

I will post these recipes in separate threads. Some are quite long.
so I won't post them all at once.

CCA


CCA

unread,
Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
to
On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 16:10:59 GMT, visualf...@nospambombergirl.com
(CCA) wrote:

>Hello, I trying to help a fellow "poster" out from another newsgroup.
>Silkie posted a request for a basic pan dulce recipe in
>rec.food.cooking. I suggested that the request should be posted here
>but Silkie is unable to get this group...so I volunteered to post it.
>
>Here is Silkie's request:
>

>>I am looking for the dolce recipes . They are coarse in texture...and sometime
>>filled some made with pumpkin .
>

>>thanks
>>silkie


>
>Silkie explained that what is needed is a basic pan dulce recipe. If
>you post any follow-ups to this, please copy Silkie at:
>

>sstat...@aol.com
>
>Thanks
>
>CCA

Here is a follow-up from Silkie on the pan dulce search. I have
suggested that she follow the newsgroup in dejanews as she is
interested in following all the discussions. I also asked for a
better description of the pan dulce. Maybe we can narrow down the
specific kind and find a recipe that way.

***********

>Yes....Yes...yes....I will take anything that comes remotely close to it...

>I have neilghbors next door, she speaks no english and quite often her son
>translates...but when we are in her kitchen no words are needed...she is a
>wonderful cook andI am learning much from her...

>Again I wish I had access to your news group...I know I would learn so much
>more...not so much in recipes but the method is so ...so important here...

>Again if you find any posts with methodology or explainations or just great
>recipes,
>that are not your run of the mill recipes ......and you have the time, please
>think of me, and forward them.....<G>...

>Thank you so much.

>silkie..

*******************

CCA


CCA

unread,
Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
to
On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 16:10:59 GMT, visualf...@nospambombergirl.com
(CCA) wrote:

>Hello, I trying to help a fellow "poster" out from another newsgroup.
>Silkie posted a request for a basic pan dulce recipe in
>rec.food.cooking. I suggested that the request should be posted here
>but Silkie is unable to get this group...so I volunteered to post it.

I started out trying to just help someone get a recipe and in the
process I've learned something about pan dulce.

What have I learned? There is a large variety of pan dulce.
Apparently, each have their own name and their own recipe. Trying to
find a basic pan dulce recipe is like trying to find a basic bread
recipe. Your first question would be what kind of bread...rye, wheat,
white, etc.

Is that about right?

I think the recipes I have in my cookbook would be considered a type
of pan dulce. I will be posting them in separate threads. Please
feel free to post yours also.

I did find a web page that offered information on the subject (but few
recipes). Here is the URL:

http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/recipes/puebla/kgbreads.html

I also noticed that the homepage of this site has a food forum. I
noticed in the forum that there were a few requests for pan dulce, but
no recipes. Here is the URL for the homepage:

http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/recipes/foodindex.html

CCA


CCA

unread,
Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
to
On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 21:53:57 -0600, "L Hodge"
<lnh...@nospam.texas.net> wrote:

>There's a pan dulce recipe at the following link:
>http://www.kitchenlink.com/cgi/archive_frames?board=20&thread=
>12053
>

>I also have one in a Bernard Clayton cookbook (go figure?),
>but it's way too long for me to try to re-type today. It's
>also a little odd, having a chocolate filing.
>
>Anyway, HTH.
>
>Lori
>
>

I found this using your link:

http://www.kitchenlink.com/cgi/archive_frames?board=25&thread=15255

It might be the Bernard Clayton recipe you are talking about. It has
a chocolate filing.

CCA

Dimitri G Criona

unread,
Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
to

CCA wrote in message <369a2015...@news.netropolis.net>...

>Hello, I trying to help a fellow "poster" out from another newsgroup.
>Silkie posted a request for a basic pan dulce recipe in
>rec.food.cooking. I suggested that the request should be posted here
>but Silkie is unable to get this group...so I volunteered to post it.


Here's a rough translation I'm not familiar with all the words and there are
some errors but basically it's a yeast dough made with flour, corn flour,
lard, eggs and yolks, milk and sugar.

Hope this helps

Dimitri

PAN DULCE

Ingredientes:

1 huevo y 2 yemas 100 grs. de fruta confitada
(*)
1 egg and 2 yolks 100 grams dried fruit
6 cucharadas de azucar 100 grs. de pasas de uva sin
semilla (*)
6 tablespoons sugar 100 grams seedless rasins
100 grs. de crema de leche 100 grs. de nueces (*)
100 gms milk cream 100 grams Nueses ??????
50 grs. levadura de cerveza 100 grs. de almendras (*)
50 grams beer yeast 100 grams almonds?????
1 vaso de leche tibia 100 grs. de pinyones (*)
1 glass of warm milk 100 grams pinyones
1/2 cdita. de sal fina (*) A eleccion, aproximadamente
300 grs.
1.2 teaspoon fine salt any of the above no more that 300
grams
100 grs. de manteca derretida en total - total
100 grams lard (whipped??)
1 cucharada de agua de azahar
1 tablespoon sugarwater
1 cdita. de esencia de vainilla
1 teaspoon vanella exrtact
350 grs. de harina
350 grams flour
150 grs. maizena
150 grams corn flour(meal?)
Preparacion:

1- Disolver la levadura en un poco de leche tibia y dejar reposar
unos 20 min.
disolve the yeast in a little warm milk and let it set for 20 minutes

2- Batir el huevo con las yemas, el azucar y la crema de leche
beat the egg with with yolks, the sugar and the cream

3- Tamizar juntas la harina y la maicena, e ir la agregando poco a poco
a la preparcion 2 alternando con la preparcion 1.
mix together both flours and add a little by little of each mixture
alternating mixture 1 and 2.

4- Trabajar bien la masa con las manos hasta que este bien lisa.
kneed the dough with your hands until its well kneeded and ready

5- Dejar reposar la masa en un citio templado, hasta que alcance el
doble (+ o -) de su volumen.
let it rest and raise until about doubled

6- Picar la fruta al tamanyo deseado y PASARLA POR HARINA
(importante para que no se vaya al fondo de la masa) e
incorporarla a la masa despues que haya levantado.
cut (chop the fruit) to the size you like and put it into the dough after
its risen.

7- Poner en los moldes para pan dulce, enmantecado y enharinado y
dejar que aumente un 50% mas de su volumen.
put the dough into sweet bread molds and fill only 1/2 way

8- Pintarlos con agua azucarada (2 cucharadas en 1/4 de taza de agua
hirviendo)
paint them with sugar water ( 2 tablespoons cups sugar in 1/4 cup water
(warmed??)

9- Cocinar en horno caliente hasta que este dorado y cocido por
dentro (hincar un cuchillo limpio en el medio, si esta cocido,
saldra limpio)
bake in the oven until doubled and when you stick in a knife it comes out
clean

10- Enfriar y espolvorear con azucar impalpable.
?? dost or coat with sugar??

7 bis- Si no se tiene molde para pan dulce, hacer dos bollos con la
preparacion y colocarlos sobre una placa enmantecada y
enharinada. Luego sigue igual

If you don't have molds for sweet bread make the rolls and bake on a larded
floured baking sheet

8 bis- Si se desea se puede esparcir un poco de la fruta picada para
la pre- paracion sobre la superficie del pan dulce
If you want you can sprinkle the fruit on the surface of the sweet bread...

Victor M. Martinez

unread,
Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
to
CCA <visualf...@nospambombergirl.com> wrote:
>What have I learned? There is a large variety of pan dulce.
>Apparently, each have their own name and their own recipe. Trying to
>find a basic pan dulce recipe is like trying to find a basic bread
>recipe. Your first question would be what kind of bread...rye, wheat,
>white, etc.

Precisely.

Victor M. Martinez

unread,
Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
to
Dimitri G Criona <DIMI...@prodigy.net> wrote:
>1 huevo y 2 yemas 100 grs. de fruta confitada
>(*)
>1 egg and 2 yolks 100 grams dried fruit

It's not dried fruit, but candied fruit.

>100 grs. de crema de leche 100 grs. de nueces (*)
>100 gms milk cream 100 grams Nueses ??????

Nueces is pecans.

>1 vaso de leche tibia 100 grs. de pinyones (*)
>1 glass of warm milk 100 grams pinyones

Pi~ones is pine nuts

>100 grs. de manteca derretida en total - total
>100 grams lard (whipped??)

Derretida means melted.

>1 cucharada de agua de azahar
>1 tablespoon sugarwater

Nooo... azahar is citrus flowers, you make an infusion of citrus flowers.

>150 grs. maizena
>150 grams corn flour(meal?)

Maicena is neither corn meal or corn flour, it's more like corn starch,
but not quite.

>10- Enfriar y espolvorear con azucar impalpable.
>?? dost or coat with sugar??

I have no idea what they mean by "azucar impalpable", my best guess would
be confectioner's sugar. Where is this recipe from? Definitely not Mexico.

>If you don't have molds for sweet bread make the rolls and bake on a larded
>floured baking sheet

And how exactly are these "sweet bread molds"...???? :)

Dimitri G Criona

unread,
Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
to
Thanks for the help. Me esta olvidando el Espanol. Its not my fault. The
Spanish is forgetting me. Ha Ha!

This was the website in Argentina that was posted by cor...@mediaone.net on
1/11/99.
I have been looking at this thread for a while and I remember the texture of
the Pan Dulce as being "rough and yeasty" If this is close (I don't know
till I bake it) it looked kind of close. The lard and corn flour (starch)
made sence, I started to translate as a goof and I got kind of close.. So I
posted it.

Regards and thanks.

Dimitri

Victor M. Martinez wrote in message <77ghi4$hk1$1...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>...

CCA

unread,
Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99
to

CCA

unread,
Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99
to
On Tue, 12 Jan 1999 03:35:51 -0600, "TOM CLAYTON"
<goo...@provalue.net> wrote:

Here are some recipes for portuguese bread. There is some
similarity...check it out.

http://www.neosoft.com/recipes/breads-yeast/portuguese-sweet.html

http://www.neosoft.com/recipes/breads-yeast/portuguese-sweet02.html

http://www.neosoft.com/recipes/breads-yeast/portuguese-sweet03.html

more are on the site.

CCA

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages