Menudo Question

c...@my-dejanews.com

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
You know how there are some dishes that can *only* be made one way and
that just bring you back to your grandmother's kitchen? Well, menudo is
one of those for me (tamales are another). I've tried making it a few
times now, and while it tastes alright, it's just not the same.

I make "white" menudo (which is what I thought was the *only* kind until I
was an adult), as that is what my mom, grandmother, and Besabuela always
made. My problem is the tripe. I always use honeycomb, but I don't like
the pieces too big - and my fiance, who took awhile to adjust to the idea
of eating it but now loves it, has even more stringent requirements on the
size of the pieces. However, when I made it last, the tripe became a bit
tough and the edges "curled" under (if that makes any sense). Is it
possible I cut it *too small*? Or is it just a matter of being
overcooked/undercooked? My mom's instructions say to bring it to a slow
rolling boil, then simmer (not always a simple task with an electric
burner!), could I have just boiled too much before simmering - would that
make the tripe tough?

Thanks for any ideas on how to fix the problem.

Cherise

direct email: roh...@nd.edu

RDel...@aol.com

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
In article <79s6hv$is2$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

c...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> You know how there are some dishes that can *only* be made one way and
> that just bring you back to your grandmother's kitchen? Well, menudo is
> one of those for me (tamales are another). I've tried making it a few
> times now, and while it tastes alright, it's just not the same.
>
> I make "white" menudo (which is what I thought was the *only* kind until I
> was an adult), as that is what my mom, grandmother, and Besabuela always
> made. My problem is the tripe. I always use honeycomb, but I don't like
> the pieces too big - and my fiance, who took awhile to adjust to the idea
> of eating it but now loves it, has even more stringent requirements on the
> size of the pieces. However, when I made it last, the tripe became a bit
> tough and the edges "curled" under (if that makes any sense). Is it
> possible I cut it *too small*? Or is it just a matter of being
> overcooked/undercooked? My mom's instructions say to bring it to a slow
> rolling boil, then simmer (not always a simple task with an electric
> burner!), could I have just boiled too much before simmering - would that
> make the tripe tough?
>
> Thanks for any ideas on how to fix the problem.
>
> Cherise

I always liked white menudo, grew up on it, in fact white menudo is more
widely popular in Mexico than the red menudo.

You might have under cooked it, if the edges got tough. I usually cut mine
in one inch pieces, and while honeycomb tripas cook faster than the regular, I
like to use the regular because it has more flavor to it. You have to cook it
longer, but it's well worth it.

Victor M. Martinez

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
<RDel...@aol.com> wrote:
>I always liked white menudo, grew up on it, in fact white menudo is more
>widely popular in Mexico than the red menudo.

I'd dare you to try and find white menudo in Mexico City. Where in Mexico
did you say you're from?

--
Victor M. Martinez, Jr. | The University of Texas at Austin
mar...@che.utexas.edu | Department of Chemical Engineering

The Surrealist

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
Personally, I'd settle for finding menudo anywhere - red OR white. :)

Bill
i'm hungry

Victor M. Martinez <mar...@bullwinkle.che.utexas.edu> wrote:

"Let us not mince words: the marvelous is always beautiful. anything marvelous
is beautiful, in fact only the marvelous is beautiful."

- Andre Breton, 1924

aem

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
Victor M. Martinez wrote:

> I'd dare you to try and find white menudo in Mexico City. Where
> in Mexico
> did you say you're from?

What a generalization! We hope you are more careful in your
studies. It would be pretty tough to defend a doctoral
dissertation that included such sweeping statements. Mexico
City has a population in excess of ten million, with perhaps that
many again in the metropolitan area. Are you so taken with
yourself that you think they ALL agree with you? I'll bet you
your next semester's tuition that I could find it within an hour
of landing at the airport. No, make that an hour after clearing
customs and getting into the city.

Victor M. Martinez

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
aem <aemN...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>studies. It would be pretty tough to defend a doctoral
>dissertation that included such sweeping statements. Mexico

My area of research has nothing to do with generalizations.

>City has a population in excess of ten million, with perhaps that

28 million in the entire metropolitan area.

>many again in the metropolitan area. Are you so taken with
>yourself that you think they ALL agree with you? I'll bet you

I've *lived* in Mexico City. I have family and friends in Mexico City.
Most of them haven't even heard of white menudo.

>your next semester's tuition that I could find it within an hour
>of landing at the airport. No, make that an hour after clearing
>customs and getting into the city.

Done. Easy money.

Wayne

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99

The Surrealist wrote:

> Personally, I'd settle for finding menudo anywhere - red OR white. :)
>
> Bill
> i'm hungry

Anyplace?
would you believe that it is available in cans?
Now I can't say what type it is, but I recall seeing it on the shells
somewhere.
In fact, I think I may have actually tried some.
It may, however, be a P.R. or even Italian type that I'm thinking of.
Even tried some goat stew once. Also canned.

> Victor M. Martinez <mar...@bullwinkle.che.utexas.edu> wrote:
> : <RDel...@aol.com> wrote:
> :>I always liked white menudo, grew up on it, in fact white menudo is more
> :>widely popular in Mexico than the red menudo.
>

> : I'd dare you to try and find white menudo in Mexico City. Where in Mexico

> : did you say you're from?
>

> : --

> : Victor M. Martinez, Jr. | The University of Texas at Austin
> : mar...@che.utexas.edu | Department of Chemical Engineering
> : http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv | Austin, TX 78712
> : If we knew what we were doing it would not be called research, would it?
>

> --
>
> "Let us not mince words: the marvelous is always beautiful. anything marvelous
> is beautiful, in fact only the marvelous is beautiful."
>
> - Andre Breton, 1924

Wayne AKA Blackie!
http://members.spree.com/blackie/calif.htm

aem

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
Wayne wrote:

> The Surrealist wrote:
> >
> > Personally, I'd settle for finding menudo anywhere - red OR
> white. :)
> >
> > Bill
> > i'm hungry
> >
> Anyplace?
> would you believe that it is available in cans?
> Now I can't say what type it is, but I recall seeing it on the
> shells
> somewhere.
> In fact, I think I may have actually tried some.
> It may, however, be a P.R. or even Italian type that I'm
> thinking of.
> Even tried some goat stew once. Also canned.

Yes, there is a company in East Los Angeles that has been making
and selling menudo in cans for many years. Original recipe from
the grandparent (I forget whether abuelo or abuela) of those now
running the company. They sell it in huge quantities, mostly of
course to the Mexicans and Mexican-Americans living in Southern
California. We've had it, but are lucky enough to have a small
restaurant not far from us which has a wonderful (red, but I'm
not biased against white) version we prefer on those one or two
occasions a year when we crave it.

huckfin@mindspring

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
Try Laredo Mexico all white menudo/

On 10 Feb 1999 20:29:38 GMT, mar...@bullwinkle.che.utexas.edu (Victor
M. Martinez) wrote:

>aem <aemN...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>studies. It would be pretty tough to defend a doctoral
>>dissertation that included such sweeping statements. Mexico
>
>My area of research has nothing to do with generalizations.
>
>>City has a population in excess of ten million, with perhaps that
>
>28 million in the entire metropolitan area.
>
>>many again in the metropolitan area. Are you so taken with
>>yourself that you think they ALL agree with you? I'll bet you
>
>I've *lived* in Mexico City. I have family and friends in Mexico City.
>Most of them haven't even heard of white menudo.
>
>>your next semester's tuition that I could find it within an hour
>>of landing at the airport. No, make that an hour after clearing
>>customs and getting into the city.
>
>Done. Easy money.

c...@my-dejanews.com

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
In article <36C24708...@usa.net>,

blackie...@usa.net wrote:

> The Surrealist wrote:
> >
> > Personally, I'd settle for finding menudo anywhere - red OR white. :)
> >
> > Bill
> > i'm hungry
> >
> Anyplace?
> would you believe that it is available in cans?
> Now I can't say what type it is, but I recall seeing it on the shells
> somewhere.
> In fact, I think I may have actually tried some.
> It may, however, be a P.R. or even Italian type that I'm thinking of.
> Even tried some goat stew once. Also canned.

It is available in cans, though I've only seen red. I can't recall the brand
name at the moment, it seems to be widely available in many US cities, but
rarely in smaller towns. I believe it is a Mexican brand that I've had. As
for the quality, well, it'll do when you're desparate. As I prefer "white",
it's not my ideal, and the tripe pieces are extremely large, not well
cleaned, and not terribly appetizing (fiance calls them "huge grissly bits
of stomach"). I'm happy to eat it though, when it's all I can get (whenever
I am ill, not just hungover, I crave menudo).

Cherise

direct email: roh...@nd.edu

Linda Gonzalez

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 13:39:56 GMT, c...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

>:In article <36C24708...@usa.net>,

Pico Pica makes menudo, so does Delores.
I don't like canned menudo at all..but I guess if you're really
*desperate*...

Linda

Linda Gonzalez

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 12:29:33 GMT, huckfin@mindspring wrote:

>:Try Laredo Mexico all white menudo/

White Menudo in Jalisco and Nayarit, also Matzatlan..I've been there and
seen it. White and Red in Sonora, Mainly red in Baja...depends on the
region.
>:
>:
>:
>:
>:On 10 Feb 1999 20:29:38 GMT, mar...@bullwinkle.che.utexas.edu (Victor

The Surrealist

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
Well I guess I should have qualified my answer a little bit. Yes menudo in
the can works when really desperate. My problem is the one or two
restaurants (around here) serve the canned stuff as well.

That's pretty much what I meant.

Bill
who thinks it's pretty cool that there's other gringos who love menudo
too.
:-)

Wayne <blackie...@usa.net> wrote:

:>

:> : <RDel...@aol.com> wrote:
:> :>I always liked white menudo, grew up on it, in fact white menudo is more
:> :>widely popular in Mexico than the red menudo.
:>
:> : I'd dare you to try and find white menudo in Mexico City. Where in Mexico
:> : did you say you're from?
:>

:> : --

:> : Victor M. Martinez, Jr. | The University of Texas at Austin
:> : mar...@che.utexas.edu | Department of Chemical Engineering
:> : http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv | Austin, TX 78712
:> : If we knew what we were doing it would not be called research, would it?

:>
:> --

RDel...@aol.com

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
In article <79sh6t$msm$1...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>,

mar...@bullwinkle.che.utexas.edu (Victor M. Martinez) wrote:
> <RDel...@aol.com> wrote:
> >I always liked white menudo, grew up on it, in fact white menudo is more
> >widely popular in Mexico than the red menudo.
>
> I'd dare you to try and find white menudo in Mexico City. Where in Mexico
> did you say you're from?

Now did I say I was from Mexico City? Excuse me, but the country of Mexico is
not "limited" to only Mexico City.

It's obvious that your knowledge of menudo is very "limited" I suggest you
you stick to chemical engineering instead.

Victor M. Martinez

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
RDel...@aol.com wrote:
> It's obvious that your knowledge of menudo is very "limited" I suggest you
> you stick to chemical engineering instead.

I have eaten menudo in the following regions of Mexico: the Yucatan
peninsula,
the gulf coast, the southern pacific coast, central pacific coast, all
over
the "bajio" (central Mexico), and the Monterrey area. When this question
came
up (the color of menudo) I e-mailed a few dozen friends/contacts of mine
who
live all over Mexico, from Tijuana to Campeche. Only one of them had
*heard*
of white menudo, he told me it's popular in the northwest of Mexico.
It's obvious your knowledge of menudo is most limited, I suggest you
stick
to whatever it is you do for a living.

--
Victor M. Martinez, Jr.

mar...@che.utexas.edu
http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Wayne

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99

The Surrealist wrote:

> Well I guess I should have qualified my answer a little bit. Yes menudo in
> the can works when really desperate. My problem is the one or two
> restaurants (around here) serve the canned stuff as well.
>
> That's pretty much what I meant.
>
> Bill
> who thinks it's pretty cool that there's other gringos who love menudo
> too.
> :-)

I went shopping tonight, and found some red menudo.
Canned, of course.
Goya brand from Goya foods of Texas.
Just had to get some to try.
It says just add chopped onion, oregano and lemon.
I don't normally keep lemon on hand, so what would be a good sub?

Linda Gonzalez

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
On 16 Feb 1999 03:29:35 GMT, Wayne <blackie...@usa.net> wrote:

>:
>:

Lime. Nothing but.. in fact most mexicans do use limes rather than the
lemons.

Linda

Wayne

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99

So that's one small bottle of lime juice and some good Mexican oregano,
eh?

C.L. Gifford

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
Wayne wrote:

> So that's one small bottle of lime juice and some good Mexican oregano,
> eh?

If you are intent on using bottled lime juice use Key lime juice
instead of regular lime juice. It is closer to the Mexican lime
(actually the same lime).

Charlie

Linda Gonzalez

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
On 16 Feb 1999 05:22:50 GMT, Wayne <blackie...@usa.net> wrote:

>:
>:

>:Linda Gonzalez wrote:
>:>
>:> On 16 Feb 1999 03:29:35 GMT, Wayne <blackie...@usa.net> wrote:
>:>
>:> >:
>:> >:
>:> >:The Surrealist wrote:
>:> >:>
>:> >:> Well I guess I should have qualified my answer a little bit. Yes menudo in
>:> >:> the can works when really desperate. My problem is the one or two
>:> >:> restaurants (around here) serve the canned stuff as well.
>:> >:>
>:> >:> That's pretty much what I meant.
>:> >:>
>:> >:> Bill
>:> >:> who thinks it's pretty cool that there's other gringos who love menudo
>:> >:> too.
>:> >:> :-)
>:> >:>
>:> >: I went shopping tonight, and found some red menudo.
>:> >: Canned, of course.
>:> >: Goya brand from Goya foods of Texas.
>:> >: Just had to get some to try.
>:> >: It says just add chopped onion, oregano and lemon.
>:> >: I don't normally keep lemon on hand, so what would be a good sub?
>:>
>:> Lime. Nothing but.. in fact most mexicans do use limes rather than the
>:> lemons.
>:>
>:> Linda

>:
>: So that's one small bottle of lime juice and some good Mexican oregano,
>:eh?

Get regular limes, not the bottled lime juice, much better, IMO.

lgc...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2019, 6:30:10 PM9/27/19
Sinaloa white menudo is the norm....

Rodolfo Salinas

Jan 6, 2024, 9:54:58 AMJan 6
On Wednesday, February 10, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, c...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> You know how there are some dishes that can *only* be made one way and
> that just bring you back to your grandmother's kitchen? Well, menudo is
> one of those for me (tamales are another). I've tried making it a few
> times now, and while it tastes alright, it's just not the same.
> I make "white" menudo (which is what I thought was the *only* kind until I
> was an adult), as that is what my mom, grandmother, and Besabuela always
> made. My problem is the tripe. I always use honeycomb, but I don't like
> the pieces too big - and my fiance, who took awhile to adjust to the idea
> of eating it but now loves it, has even more stringent requirements on the
> size of the pieces. However, when I made it last, the tripe became a bit
> tough and the edges "curled" under (if that makes any sense). Is it
> possible I cut it *too small*? Or is it just a matter of being
> overcooked/undercooked? My mom's instructions say to bring it to a slow
> rolling boil, then simmer (not always a simple task with an electric
> burner!), could I have just boiled too much before simmering - would that
> make the tripe tough?
> Thanks for any ideas on how to fix the problem.
>
> Cherise
> direct email: roh...@nd.edu

Try cutting the pancita or tripe into smaller pieces. Remember it takes longer to cook larger pieces of food than smaller ones. This happens all the time, and even more with meat. Perhaps that is why the tripe in your menudo remains somewhat undercooked after the first boiling. Regardless of quantity, you must boil the tripe in water for at least two and a half hour before it begins to cook. After that you still have to simmer for maybe three or four more hours. After the total time of six and a half hours your menudo pancita will have the perfect consistency to eat. Buen provecho. Enjoy your meal! - Rodolfo Salinas-Villarreal