Mole Negro vs. Mole Poblano

danielchaim

Mar 6, 2002, 2:53:27 PM3/6/02
Two questions:

1) Are Mole Negro(from Oaxaca)and Mole Poblano roughly similar in taste?
2) Would one go better with beef than another?

Thanks,
Doug

Mar 6, 2002, 8:14:27 PM3/6/02
They are both very different. I'm not sure I know where to begin in
describing the flavors...They tend to get served with poultry or a pulled
pork and not with beef. It would really depend on what the cut of beef was
how you prepare it. If pressed I'd say...I just can't do it. Mole Negro dark
and mysterious and Mole Poblano is spicy, complex and macho.

Arturo

Hope that helped
"danielchaim" <rub...@em.agr.ca> wrote in message

Irma

Mar 6, 2002, 3:45:51 PM3/6/02
Hi Doug:

l) Both are very different in taste, mole poblano is sweeter than Negro.
2) Non of them go well with one of those moles. Both are prepared with
chicken or other bird, in any case if you want to substitute the chicken you
can do it with pork.

In Puebla, the paste of the mole is prepared two days before you prepare the
dish. A day before you give this dish, you pour little water or chicken
soup into the pasta to get from it a thick sauce, and in this moment you put
into the pot a piece of pork's leg and starts the pot being in the fire.
You have to look after the mole until the piece of pork is cooked, at this
moment your mole is done.

There are some other moles prepared with beef but they are totally different
in taste and elaboration, they are more like soup. Some of them are mole de
olla or mole de espinazo.

irma.

"danielchaim" <rub...@em.agr.ca> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> [...]

Carlos H Marin

Mar 13, 2002, 11:22:35 AM3/13/02
My friend,
Mole Negro is originally from Oaxaca and the chiles utilized are similar to
the Mole Poblano but in different %. Mole Poblano ads more sugar and
chocolate and leans more to the red chiles than to the black.
for say: More ancho than Mulato and Pasilla because this two are black.

I personally like the Poblano because of the sweet taste and the Mole Negro,
yes, goes better with beef.

That does not mean that the Poblano is not for beef. The Poblano is very
popular for tamales and they are mostly made with beef when using mole.

Saludos,
Carlos
Mexigusto

--
Keep current with MexiGusto and our authentic Mexican Mole Poblano! Visit
our site at:

Irma

Mar 14, 2002, 2:33:55 AM3/14/02
Hi Carlos:

You are right about everything you post but.......

Carlos have you tried mole poblano with beef? The dish called "Mole
Poblano" as a dish is chicken or pork with Mole sauce. If you use the mole
sauce to prepare tamales or enchiladas is something different then the
dishes are Tamales de Mole or Enchiladas de Mole.

I'm sure that the dish "mole poblano" is prepared only with pork or chicken
or both but not with beef. I was living in Puebla for more than 3 years, and
I had friends there which I was visiting for more than 20 years, I helped
more than once to prepare the mole and never, never, we prepare the dish
"mole poblano" with beef.

Irma.

"Carlos H Marin" <cma...@san.rr.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

alfred...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2019, 9:51:38 PM1/29/19
Well said. As a matter of fact, mole poblano is the origin of all moles, and Red mole the king of the Oaxacan moles. Mole is pork or chicken, not beef. But many mole dishes use shredded beef, mainly enchiladas de mole, possibly, or ROMERITOS, a traditional Christmas dish in central Mexico using oaxacan red mole.
Regardless of the family recipient, most families in Puebla or in Oaxaca have a recipe they call "the original".
There are 7 kind or types of moles recognized in Oaxaca, Mexico plus the Mole Poblano. Good luck with the recipie you use in the 8 mexican moles! There will be an eternal argument as to originality and honors of better one. Settle it, and I recommend you develop yours, staying true to ingredients, but claiming best award to taste. Always. Have fun and Enjoy all.

cshenk

Feb 3, 2019, 6:23:35 PM2/3/19
I've been investigating Mole recipes lately though have not tried one
yet.