Corn Tortillas

1 view

Hernando Sabogal

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98

Can somebody suggest me someway to prepare
nice corn tortillas keeping in mind that I am in Helsinki ?How to get that
particular "ashy" flavor ?

nando

Linda Gonzalez

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
On Tue, 8 Sep 1998 23:47:40 +0300, "Hernando Sabogal" <na...@dystopia.fi>
wrote:

Whew!!! you're a long ways off..does anyone over there carry Masa Harina or
Maseca?

Wayne Lundberg

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
Now, now Linda - we have been following the thread on hominy, which appears
to contain the essential elements for a person in Timbuktoo to make their
own corn tortillas.

This is not proven - this is written simply as a logical deduction of
information posted in this newsgroup over the past few weeks regarding
tortillas and the like.

Can you buy canned hominy? If so, it is probably made from corn treated with
lime to remove the husk and make it digestible to the human being.

I would suggest you drain the liquid from a can of hominy and mash the
corn - not chop, not blended, but mashed with roller pin, masher, hammer,
whatever to make it into a dough. Then hand patty into as thin a circle as
you can possible patty, put on a grill or even frying pan without grease
(maybe a drop) and turn frequently until it smells like that smell you like
so much...

Let us know what happens. Others in foreign lands would love to learn how to
make corn tortillas that look, smell and feel like Mexican tortillas.

Victor M. Martinez

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
Wayne Lundberg <Wayn...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>Can you buy canned hominy? If so, it is probably made from corn treated with
>lime to remove the husk and make it digestible to the human being.

Is it? My grandma buys dried cacahuazintle corn when she makes pozole,
they cook it and then peel it by hand, but I don't recall using lime
in the process... then again, it was years since I've helped my grandma
make pozole.
Is the canned hominy cooked with lime?

--
Victor M. Martinez, Jr. | The University of Texas at Austin
mar...@che.utexas.edu | Department of Chemical Engineering

Dave Dodson

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98

Victor M. Martinez wrote in message <6t60vo$nd3$1...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>...

>Wayne Lundberg <Wayn...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>Can you buy canned hominy? If so, it is probably made from corn treated
with
>>lime to remove the husk and make it digestible to the human being.
In actual fact, hominy can be treated with lime but the usual method is with
wood ashes (in the old times) therefore being potassium hydroxide or perhaps
sodium hydroxide (lye//if memory serves)...Pre-historic groups depending
upon maize as their primary food resource also grew bean and squash (sound
familiar?), treated their corn (maize) with a crushed limestone bath or wood
ash solution....Why? Two reasons: 1) it breaks down (or begins the process)
the outer covering of the corn and the inner kernel as well; 2) it enables
the extraction of the nutrients by the human system....without these only a
small fraction of the nutrients are available to humans and it would be
possible to starve to death with plenty of corn to eat.....The culprit is
lysene an amino acid that enables the extraction of nutrients and breaks
down the inner and outer covering of the corn kernel...The human system
simply does not contain enough to do the job continually so a supplement had
to be found...Would it suprise you to learn that both beans and squash have
an extremely high lysene content??? They do!!! Therefore when one finds a
maize agriculture economy one also finds beans and squash being grown...The
lime and lye treatments were used primarily when beans and squash were in
short supply...A bit of trivia I picked up studying physical
anthropology...Totally useless....

DaveD

RobinWoodSolita

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98

We live in UK and tortillas are a big problem for us to.

I have not found shops in UK that supply Masa de Harina. What we did was
look on the back of a packet of supermarket tortillas and phone up the
company that made them. They agreed to sell us small quantities but to be
honest the flour was a bit yellow and they made dry leathery tortillas. The
flour was much better used to make Bocoles and Gorditas.
The nearest place to us that sells the real flour is 'El Cortes Ingles'
which is a chain of departement stores in Spain.
Once you have the flour mix with warm water and press small balls of it
between circles of plastic cut from a shiney plastic bag. Use a wooden
chopping board to press the plastic down.
Then cook on a solid frying pan or a comal. Turn tortillas two times, once
quickly, second slower then remove when they puff up. Ha ! mine dont
always puff.

Hope this helps

Pat Acree

Sep 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/19/98
Does anyone know of a place to get corn tortillas the size of the largest
flour tortillas? I like the flavor of corn tortillas, but the small size can
be problematic.
Thanks to you all.
Pat Acree
Corvallis, Oregon

Rich Tester

Sep 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/20/98
RobinWoodSolita <RobinWo...@email.msn.com> wrote:

> We live in UK and tortillas are a big problem for us to.

Rick Bayless's "Mexican Kitchen" has a nice list of mail order places in the
back. Unfortunately, none of them are European. Here is one in NY, that
you might be able to get some masa harina ordered from.

Dean & Deluca
Catalog Department
560 Broadway
New York, NY 10012
800-221-7714

Driead chilies, canned chiptles, dried pozole, unusual dried beans
(including scarlet runners), pumpkin seeds, Mexican chocolate, masa harina,
whole spices, sherry vinegar, hot sauces.

I hope this is of some help.

--
I'll talk to ya later.

Richland W. Tester (Currently doing chemistry for food....well, money to
buy food anyway)

jiimz

Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98

hello
id doesn't exist grind your own corn and form to the size you want and then
grill it till it is done aprox 3 to 5 min at 360 degrees makes a giant taco
when fried 8-)
jim in san diego