Cottage Pie - Modified with my suggestions

Ozgirl

Sep 27, 2013, 7:13:36 PM9/27/13
http://www.weightwatchers.com.au/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeid=137411

I personally would nix the white potato and just use a bit more of the
sweet potato. I would not use the skim milk to mash but would use butter
or coconut oil instead (I don't think either are necessary for sweet
potato mash but would add in some fats to what would otherwise be a dry
dish - IMO). I also find lamb a little dry so would probably go for
beef. I would have steamed broccoli on the side. This would be nice
frozen in some single serve ramekins or soup cups for an easy dinner
when you really can't be bothered and don't want to opt for the toasted
sandwich (something my boys do when I am too tired to cook and they have
to fend for themselves). When I make up ground meat recipes I tend to go
a bit overboard and have a huge amount of it so these little cottage
pies might be the answer :)

Julie Bove

Sep 27, 2013, 10:40:56 PM9/27/13

"Ozgirl" <are_we_t...@maccas.com> wrote in message
I have made cottage pie but nobody here likes it but me. I do not like
sweet potatoes so would never use those at all. I also would not use that
type of beans in this nor would I use the tomato paste, milk or lamb.

What I did was to brown some ground beef with plenty of chopped onions and
celery. I might also add some carrot to this. I would then make a little
gravy by adding some sweet rice flour (but you could use regular flour or
cornstarch) then slowly add beef broth to get the consistency I want. I
would also add green and/or wax beans to this (canned or frozen) and I might
add a little chopped tomato (fresh or canned). If canned I would probably
add the juice along with the broth. I would also add whatever leftover
cooked vegetables I had in the house to this.

For the mash on top, I would merely mash the potatoes, then add whatever fat
we were eating at the time. Could be butter, Nucoa (margarine) or even
olive oil. And then would use a little beef broth if need be to the
potatoes. I would use regular potatoes and just put a very thin layer on
top. I have seen recipes that call for the faux potato cauliflower mash on
them.

Just wondering though... Are such pies common where you live? They sure
don't seem to be here. I didn't grow up eating them. My MIL acted shocked
when I made one after we first moved in on Cape Cod. I had never heard of
one before but just opened one of my cookbooks to a random page. Saw the
recipe and realized that I had all of the ingredients in the house, so I
made it. Actually that one only had the beef and onion. No other veggies
mixed in.

I have discussed this with friends and none of them grew up eating such a
thing. We did have the Tater Tot casserole that hit the scene in the 1970's
and there have been many new versions since. Tater Tots are basically
nuggets of hash brown type potatoes. I think the original one was ground
beef, cream of celery soup, canned green beans and the Tots on top. I would
always doctor such a recipe and add onion because I love onion. Newer
versions vary the type of cream soup, the meat, the vegetables, and even the
type of potato such as using hash browns or hash brown patties. Some
versions add cheese.

Ozgirl

Sep 28, 2013, 1:36:35 AM9/28/13

"Julie Bove" wrote in message news:l25fjt$oit$1...@dont-email.me...

"Ozgirl" <are_we_t...@maccas.com> wrote in message
> http://www.weightwatchers.com.au/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeid=137411
>
> I personally would nix the white potato and just use a bit more of the
> sweet potato. I would not use the skim milk to mash but would use
> butter or coconut oil instead (I don't think either are necessary for
> sweet potato mash but would add in some fats to what would otherwise
> be a dry dish - IMO). I also find lamb a little dry so would probably
> go for beef. I would have steamed broccoli on the side. This would be
> nice frozen in some single serve ramekins or soup cups for an easy
> dinner when you really can't be bothered and don't want to opt for the
> toasted sandwich (something my boys do when I am too tired to cook and
> they have to fend for themselves). When I make up ground meat recipes
> I tend to go a bit overboard and have a huge amount of it so these
> little cottage pies might be the answer :)

Just wondering though... Are such pies common where you live? They
sure
don't seem to be here. I didn't grow up eating them. My MIL acted
shocked
when I made one after we first moved in on Cape Cod. I had never heard
of
one before but just opened one of my cookbooks to a random page. Saw
the
recipe and realized that I had all of the ingredients in the house, so I
made it. Actually that one only had the beef and onion. No other
veggies

--------------------------------

Not as popular these days but I have always made them. Used to do pastry
on the bottom and mash on the top, but dropped the pastry after
diagnosis. My kids actually like sweet potatoes, steamed, roasted or
mashed.

---------------------------------

I have discussed this with friends and none of them grew up eating such
thing. We did have the Tater Tot casserole that hit the scene in the
1970's
and there have been many new versions since. Tater Tots are basically
nuggets of hash brown type potatoes. I think the original one was
ground
beef, cream of celery soup, canned green beans and the Tots on top. I
would
always doctor such a recipe and add onion because I love onion. Newer
versions vary the type of cream soup, the meat, the vegetables, and even
the
type of potato such as using hash browns or hash brown patties. Some
versions add cheese.

--------------------------------

They are called potato gems or potato nuggets here. I cannot imagine
them as part of a casserole.

Julie Bove

Sep 28, 2013, 2:02:48 AM9/28/13

"Ozgirl" <are_we_t...@maccas.com> wrote in message
Ah, that makes sense. I don't think that my mom ever made a pie of any
kind. And the only savory pies we had when I was growing up were those
nasty, cheap little frozen pot pies. As a teen and young adult, I saw pot
pies on restaurant menus a couple of times but only ever saw Shepherd's pie
on a restaurant menu perhaps twice. Maybe it's just this part of the
country but I don't think savory pies are very common.

Todd

Sep 29, 2013, 1:50:26 AM9/29/13
On 09/27/2013 04:13 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
> http://www.weightwatchers.com.au/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeid=137411
>
> I personally would nix the white potato and just use a bit more of the
> sweet potato.

Hi Ozgirl,

Over here (USA), a 1/2 cup of cooked sweet potato is 21 grams of
carb. Yikes!

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2947/2

Way to high for a MIDDEN (T2 without insulin). By chance do you
have a variety over there (Australia) that has about 1/5 the
carbs? (Maybe I can get some seeds.) For turbos, I am stuck
with nasty old turnips . :-(

Many thanks,
-T

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped

Ozgirl

Sep 29, 2013, 2:57:50 AM9/29/13
No idea, ours are like the ones pictured on this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_potato

Sweet potatoes have a low glycemic load which might make a difference
for some. I do not take meds and have always been able to eat sweet
potato in moderation. I usually have a slice with dinner, skin left on.
I guess it would fit roughly into a 1/4 cup measuring cup.

Todd

Sep 29, 2013, 3:20:33 AM9/29/13
On 09/28/2013 11:57 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
> No idea, ours are like the ones pictured on this page:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_potato

Same as ours. Never realized the flower was so pretty.

> Sweet potatoes have a low glycemic load which might make a difference
> for some. I do not take meds and have always been able to eat sweet
> potato in moderation. I usually have a slice with dinner, skin left on.
> I guess it would fit roughly into a 1/4 cup measuring cup.

"A slice" would explain it. I took Met for 11 months. I have
been drug free now for five days. I seem to be holding. And,
it is nice to have a bunch of the side effects subsiding.

Do you use any natural medicine?

-T

Ozgirl

Sep 29, 2013, 6:18:03 AM9/29/13

"Todd" wrote in message news:l28kc1$3v2$1...@dont-email.me...

On 09/28/2013 11:57 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
> No idea, ours are like the ones pictured on this page:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_potato

Same as ours. Never realized the flower was so pretty.

> Sweet potatoes have a low glycemic load which might make a difference
> for some. I do not take meds and have always been able to eat sweet
> potato in moderation. I usually have a slice with dinner, skin left
> on.
> I guess it would fit roughly into a 1/4 cup measuring cup.

"A slice" would explain it. I took Met for 11 months. I have
been drug free now for five days. I seem to be holding. And,
it is nice to have a bunch of the side effects subsiding.

Do you use any natural medicine?

-T

----------------

No, just diet and whatever exercise I can. Right now it is school
holidays and I can't get out of the house much as I have a disabled
child - she is capable of walking but has public melt-downs and drops to
the ground and won't get up if she has to walk any distance. Even if my
back could handle it I would never be able to pick her up. She lets her
muscles relax so much it is like picking up jelly. So I just use my
sons' gym equipment until she goes back to school.

W. Baker

Sep 29, 2013, 1:01:57 PM9/29/13
Todd <To...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
: On 09/27/2013 04:13 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
: > http://www.weightwatchers.com.au/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeid=137411
: >
: > I personally would nix the white potato and just use a bit more of the
: > sweet potato.

: Hi Ozgirl,

: Over here (USA), a 1/2 cup of cooked sweet potato is 21 grams of
: carb. Yikes!

: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2947/2

: Way to high for a MIDDEN (T2 without insulin). By chance do you
: have a variety over there (Australia) that has about 1/5 the
: carbs? (Maybe I can get some seeds.) For turbos, I am stuck
: with nasty old turnips . :-(

: Many thanks,
: -T

MY carb, counting book has that 1/2 cup of mashed sweet potto , nt fiber
at 36 grams of carb. Now I know why I don't eat them:-)

Wendy

Julie Bove

Sep 29, 2013, 5:38:53 PM9/29/13

"W. Baker" <wba...@panix.com> wrote in message
I don't eat them because I don't like them. But I am pretty sure that Alan
who wrote the diet book did eat them.