Jamaican Jerk Sauce

Brick

Nov 24, 2003, 1:40:12 PM11/24/03
After searching in vain for Jamaican Jerk all over NW Tampa, I
dropped into my local Mom and Pop grocery today to pick up
a tomato. When I straightened up with my carefully selected fruit,
I found myself staring right into a display of Jamaican Jerk just
inches from my eyes. Two sizes in stock. It's been there all along
and I never thought to ask (Granada Grocery and Meat Market,
about the 8000 block of W. Waters.)

Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

BOB

Nov 24, 2003, 2:28:03 PM11/24/03
Brick <hrbr...@direcway.com> typed:

OK, Brick, what brand (s)?
Are they any good?
Hot?
Spicy (not necessarily heat, flavorful)?

BOB

Brick

Nov 24, 2003, 3:37:57 PM11/24/03

" BOB" <l...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Jeez, sorry about that inadequate OP. It's Walkerswood of course. Else
I wouldn't have been so excited about it. It's labeled 'traditional
jerk
seasoning, hot and spicy. It's more like a wet rub and it is spicy and
has
a bite, but not to much. It does have Scotch Bonnets in it. It has
that
distinctive bite. I'm gonna roast a couple oz of country rib for my
supper
so I'll rub 'em and post an update.

Brick (Lots of people here rave about it)

BOB

Nov 24, 2003, 3:59:30 PM11/24/03

"Brick" typed:>

LOL!
Thank-you-very-much!
I am (I think) the original "raver" at least on this newsgroup, for Walker's Wood!

We just might have to work out a "lump charcoal (or something you need) for
Walker'sWood" exchange program here if you have a local source.

If you don't mind, next time you use it and take photo's for a.b.f could you
please include a picture of the bottles/jars that have found (*Please!*)

BOB
jonesing for some Walker's right about now!

Brick

Nov 24, 2003, 5:37:43 PM11/24/03

> "Brick" typed:>

And then BOB came back

> > > Are they any good?
> > > Hot?
> > > Spicy (not necessarily heat, flavorful)?

Shee-it BOB. You're local to Tampa aint't you? I already have about
110 lbs of lump courtesy of TFMŽ. Guess I don't need anymore right
now. But the local source ain't no secret. I already posted the name
and location. Tony will be glad to have you for a customer. He's
probably got some more stuff that you'll jump on as well. His prices
on packed jalapenos and Mojo Criollo are second to none in this
area. And you can get the Mojo in gallon jugs at his place. Photo
pending.

Brick said that.

Greg Leman

Nov 24, 2003, 6:00:52 PM11/24/03

"Brick" <hrbr...@direcway.com> wrote in message

> " BOB" <l...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >
> > We just might have to work out a "lump charcoal (or something you
> need) for
> > Walker'sWood" exchange program here if you have a local source.
> >
> > If you don't mind, next time you use it and take photo's for a.b.f
> could you
> > please include a picture of the bottles/jars that have found
> (*Please!*)
> >
> > BOB
> > jonesing for some Walker's right about now!

I haven't tried that one -- I'll have to get a bottle. The distributor we
work with carries Walker's Wood. We don't have it in our product catalog,
but if you need a supply I'd be glad to add it. Going to the store is one
thing, but getting it off the internet is even easier.

--
Greg Leman
Carolina Sauce Company, Inc.

Brick

Nov 24, 2003, 6:34:34 PM11/24/03

"Greg Leman" wrote

<snip>

> I haven't tried that one -- I'll have to get a bottle. The
distributor we
> work with carries Walker's Wood. We don't have it in our product
catalog,
> but if you need a supply I'd be glad to add it. Going to the store
is one
> thing, but getting it off the internet is even easier.

You can forget that Greg. I support my local Mom and Pop shop. They
take care of me. On top of that the big stores can't touch their
prices. I
also get specialty service and I don't have to pay shipping.

Brick (support your local gunfighter.)

BOB

Nov 24, 2003, 6:53:20 PM11/24/03
Brick typed:

> Shee-it BOB. You're local to Tampa aint't you? I already have about
> 110 lbs of lump courtesy of TFM®. Guess I don't need anymore right

> now. But the local source ain't no secret. I already posted the name
> and location. Tony will be glad to have you for a customer. He's
> probably got some more stuff that you'll jump on as well. His prices
> on packed jalapenos and Mojo Criollo are second to none in this
> area. And you can get the Mojo in gallon jugs at his place. Photo
> pending.
>
> Brick said that.

Orlando...East side, actually closer to Cocoa Beach than to the Mouse.
It'd probably be cheaper (time and money) for me to order online. I've been
dropping hints all over the great thriving tourista village, but haven't had
results yet.

That 110 # of lump is bound to run out sooner or later.

BOB

BOB

Nov 25, 2003, 6:37:42 AM11/25/03
Steve Wertz typed:

> On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:37:57 -0500, "Brick" <hrbr...@direcway.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Jeez, sorry about that inadequate OP. It's Walkerswood of course. Else
>> I wouldn't have been so excited about it. It's labeled 'traditional
>> jerk seasoning, hot and spicy. It's more like a wet rub and it is spicy and
>> has a bite, but not to much. It does have Scotch Bonnets in it. It has
>> that distinctive bite. I'm gonna roast a couple oz of country rib for my
>> supper so I'll rub 'em and post an update.
>
> WalkersWood rocks. I just deboned a turkey (I have 3 now at $.13/lb)
> and have rolled, brined, and injected it with WW (the paste version).
> It's kinda salty. I add lime juice.
>
> -sw

OK, I don't particularly like the WW paste. Maybe it is the extra salty taste...
I've got half a jar in the 'fridge so I'll try the lime. Thanks for the tip.

BOB

Greg Leman

Nov 25, 2003, 7:24:42 AM11/25/03

> You can forget that Greg. I support my local Mom and Pop shop. They
> take care of me. On top of that the big stores can't touch their
> prices. I
> also get specialty service and I don't have to pay shipping.
>
> Brick (support your local gunfighter.)

Fair enough, if you can get it locally then you're fortunate. Most small
production sauces tend to be very regional.

Supporting mom and pop shops is a good thing. But we're a mom and pop shop
too, and since we don't have the overhead of retail space our prices tend to
be far lower than what you get in the local stores. The mark up for sauces
in retail stores tends to be around 100% (and even more) -- you _are_ paying
for shipping whether you realize it or not. Most people buying sauce on the
web just order several bottles and it defrays the shipping cost. The retail
stores buy their sauce from the same distributors I do, but without the
volume and selection. We also take care of our customers, and we provide
loads of specialty service. If a retail shop won't let you sample something
without buying it, then there's really no difference between buying it in
person and on the web. And on larger orders we often throw in a bottle of
something we think they might find interesting.

All that being said, you're far more likely to find quality products at the
smaller stores than the giants. Their idea of a good barbeque sauce is
Bullseye. You'll have to look pretty hard to find something like an NC
soppin sauce. Or something with habaneros.

Harry Demidavicius

Nov 25, 2003, 8:44:37 PM11/25/03
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 17:38:41 -0600, BubbaBob
<Bubba_Bob@_remove_this_comcast.net> wrote:

>"Brick" <hrbr...@direcway.com> wrote:
> It's Walkerswood of
>> course. Else I wouldn't have been so excited about it. It's
>> labeled 'traditional jerk
>> seasoning, hot and spicy. It's more like a wet rub and it is
>> spicy and has
>> a bite, but not to much. It does have Scotch Bonnets in it. It
>> has that
>> distinctive bite. I'm gonna roast a couple oz of country rib for
>> my supper
>> so I'll rub 'em and post an update.
>>
>> Brick (Lots of people here rave about it)
>>

>3rd rate stuff. See if you can find a jar of Mrs. Dog's Jerk.

Yikes! That stuff could burn you if you spill some on yourself . . .

Harry

George

Nov 25, 2003, 11:50:43 PM11/25/03
Better than Walkerswood and Mrs. Dog's is Grace (brand)....in same size
jar as WW. Try it.

wal...@bellsouth.net

Nov 29, 2003, 11:10:48 PM11/29/03
Can't find it my area either...found it online though at Jamaicathings.com
( www.jamaicathings.com) They have jerk sauce and seasoning and other stuff
from the Caribbean...

Dan

"Brick" <hrbr...@direcway.com> wrote in message

Howard R. Bricker

Nov 30, 2003, 4:09:36 AM11/30/03
<wal...@bellsouth.net> wrote in

Check out the Walkerswood website (www.walkerswood.com). $3.50 per
17 Oz bottle + S & H. Other tricks available there too.

Brick