Newbie with a Smoker Question

9 views
Skip to first unread message

Alan Holbrook

unread,
Jul 24, 2021, 3:34:20 PM7/24/21
to
I'm pretty new to this whole grilling/smoking/barbecue thing, and I have a
question about these recipes, like for brisket, that say something like
"smoke for 12 hours". I'm using a propane-fired vertical smoker. Does
this recipe mean I have to be generating smoke constantly for the entire 12
hours? As in, keep an eye on the grill and constantly replenish the
wood/pellets/whatever as they burn down?

The only things I've done in my smoker are ribs and chicken, and I've found
that a couple of hours of constant smoke can make the food too smoky and
bitter. I certainly don't want to waste an expensive hunk of prime
brisket.

Ed Pawlowski

unread,
Jul 24, 2021, 5:09:45 PM7/24/21
to
By the time the meat gets to about 130, it will not absorb any more
smoke. If you are not careful with the wood though, you can get a
creosote like coating that is not good. You don't want to see heavy
smoke at any point, just a wisp of it early on.

Brisket takes a long time to tenderize. I run at about 275 for brisket
and it takes 12 to 14 hours for a full packer cut. Internal temperature
should be 195 to 200, though I know some that go to 205.

I see complex many ingredient rubs. I use salt, pepper, garlic, brown
sugar.

Alan Holbrook

unread,
Jul 25, 2021, 12:12:50 AM7/25/21
to
Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.xxx> wrote in
news:rk%KI.17486$W56....@fx08.iad:

>
> By the time the meat gets to about 130, it will not absorb any more
> smoke. If you are not careful with the wood though, you can get a
> creosote like coating that is not good. You don't want to see heavy
> smoke at any point, just a wisp of it early on.
>
> Brisket takes a long time to tenderize. I run at about 275 for
> brisket and it takes 12 to 14 hours for a full packer cut. Internal
> temperature should be 195 to 200, though I know some that go to 205.
>
> I see complex many ingredient rubs. I use salt, pepper, garlic, brown
> sugar.
>

Thanks, Ed. That's all good advice and I'm looking forward to trying it.
One more question: chips, chunks, or pellets?

Alex

unread,
Jul 25, 2021, 12:42:59 AM7/25/21
to
Chips or chunks both work fine if they are placed on the hot coals. I
can't help with pellets but I would think they have additives that
wouldn't help the flavor.  Like Ed posted, the smoke is only absorbed
into the meat at the very beginning.  Forget what you may have read
about soaking the wood in water.  There's no benefit to that.  Smoke the
hell out of it in the beginning and let it cook - low and slow - until
it's done.

Ed Pawlowski

unread,
Jul 25, 2021, 9:07:53 AM7/25/21
to
Any can work but I like chunks. I've cut down some trees so have a big
supply. Just make sure it is a clean smell once going.

Alan Holbrook

unread,
Jul 26, 2021, 12:42:04 AM7/26/21
to
Alex <Xel...@gmail.com> wrote in
news:LaqdnQORn_BQdmH9...@giganews.com:

> Chips or chunks both work fine if they are placed on the hot coals. I
> can't help with pellets but I would think they have additives that
> wouldn't help the flavor.  Like Ed posted, the smoke is only absorbed
> into the meat at the very beginning.  Forget what you may have read
> about soaking the wood in water.  There's no benefit to that.  Smoke
> the hell out of it in the beginning and let it cook - low and slow -
> until it's done.

Thanks, Alex. Yes, I don't soak my chips either. As I've mentioned, I'm
using a vertical propane smoker with a fire pan right above the burner and
I always get good smoke. But that's problematical for "if they are placed
on the hot coals.", since there aren't any hot coals. I guess I'll have to
buy a bag of chunks and see how they work.

Sqwertz

unread,
Jul 26, 2021, 1:56:33 PM7/26/21
to
On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 23:41:58 -0500, Alan Holbrook wrote:

> Thanks, Alex. Yes, I don't soak my chips either. As I've mentioned, I'm
> using a vertical propane smoker with a fire pan right above the burner and
> I always get good smoke. But that's problematical for "if they are placed
> on the hot coals.", since there aren't any hot coals. I guess I'll have to
> buy a bag of chunks and see how they work.

I use chunks and wrap them in HD in foil and put them off to teh
side of the firepan. However you do it, as long as you a get a
little smoke out of your wood and they're not catching on fire then
you're doing it right.

-sw

Alan Holbrook

unread,
Jul 27, 2021, 7:35:43 AM7/27/21
to
Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid> wrote in
news:t3js748k...@sqwertz.com:

> I use chunks and wrap them in HD in foil and put them off to teh
> side of the firepan. However you do it, as long as you a get a
> little smoke out of your wood and they're not catching on fire then
> you're doing it right.
>
> -sw
>

Hey, Sqwertz,

I've never used chunks, but I'd like to try them sometimes and see if
they're more convenient than chips. The only thing stopping me is that you
have to buy a HUGE bag of them (at least at Home Depot...) that I'll be
stuck with if I don't like them. Also, probably just a nit, but there is
no 'off to the side of the firepan' in a vertical smoker.

As we 'speak', I have a huge corned beef brisket in said smoker with my
yuppie (trust me, I'm way too old to be a yuppie...) remote talking
thermometer keeping an eye on it for me. My research assistent, Dr.
Google, found out that smoking a corned brisket is just as good as smoking
a fresh one because its been brined. We'll see about that at around 6:30
this evening.

Ed Pawlowski

unread,
Jul 27, 2021, 4:41:41 PM7/27/21
to
On 7/27/2021 7:35 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> As we 'speak', I have a huge corned beef brisket in said smoker with my
> yuppie (trust me, I'm way too old to be a yuppie...) remote talking
> thermometer keeping an eye on it for me. My research assistent, Dr.
> Google, found out that smoking a corned brisket is just as good as smoking
> a fresh one because its been brined. We'll see about that at around 6:30
> this evening.
>
It essentially becomes pastrami. I use the same seasonings as
commercial pastrami.

Alan Holbrook

unread,
Jul 28, 2021, 5:49:51 AM7/28/21
to
Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.xxx> wrote in news:7c_LI.10962$wG6....@fx18.iad:
Update: I finally sampled the finished product at about 7PM yesterday. Ed
is correct, as he usually is. So now I have about 4 pounds of pastrami,
but that's OK because a pastrami on rye with yellow mustard, with or
without sauerkraut and with or without swiss cheese, is, or should be, one
of USDA's basic food groups. It's a bit salty for my taste. Maybe I
didn't rinse it well enough before putting it into the smoker.

Onto the slicer this morning and into freezer bags to last me a while.

Ed Pawlowski

unread,
Jul 28, 2021, 9:06:32 AM7/28/21
to
Glad it came out good. Give it a little soak next time for the salt.Now
you're making me hungry.

Sqwertz

unread,
Aug 4, 2021, 5:52:29 PM8/4/21
to
On Tue, 27 Jul 2021 06:35:37 -0500, Alan Holbrook wrote:

> Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid> wrote in
> news:t3js748k...@sqwertz.com:
>
>> I use chunks and wrap them in HD in foil and put them off to teh
>> side of the firepan. However you do it, as long as you a get a
>> little smoke out of your wood and they're not catching on fire then
>> you're doing it right.
>>
>> -sw
>>
>
> Hey, Sqwertz,
>
> I've never used chunks, but I'd like to try them sometimes and see if
> they're more convenient than chips. The only thing stopping me is that you
> have to buy a HUGE bag of them (at least at Home Depot...) that I'll be
> stuck with if I don't like them.

Mine come in .8cu ft (HEB grocery store)and .6 cu ft bags (Academy
Sporting goods). About 20 and 15 lbs, I'd guess for about $5 each.


> Also, probably just a nit, but there is
> no 'off to the side of the firepan' in a vertical smoker.

Sure there is. I set it to the outside of the pan, often on the
rim. Just not in the center of the coals.
>
> As we 'speak', I have a huge corned beef brisket in said smoker with my
> yuppie (trust me, I'm way too old to be a yuppie...) remote talking
> thermometer keeping an eye on it for me. My research assistent, Dr.
> Google, found out that smoking a corned brisket is just as good as smoking
> a fresh one because its been brined. We'll see about that at around 6:30
> this evening.

Well, there are a few warnings about that, but too late now. How
did it come out? (salty?)

Alan Holbrook

unread,
Aug 5, 2021, 5:43:57 AM8/5/21
to
Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid> wrote in
news:1pucxrl3...@sqwertz.com:

>> Also, probably just a nit, but there is
>> no 'off to the side of the firepan' in a vertical smoker.
>
> Sure there is. I set it to the outside of the pan, often on the
> rim. Just not in the center of the coals.

Well, since the burner on a vertical smoker is right in the center, I
don't consider the rim of the pan to be 'off to the side'. Essentially,
no matter where you put the wood, it's right over the flame. But of
course, if it produces smoke, we're talking semantics here.

>>
>> As we 'speak', I have a huge corned beef brisket in said smoker with
>> my yuppie (trust me, I'm way too old to be a yuppie...) remote
>> talking thermometer keeping an eye on it for me. My research
>> assistent, Dr. Google, found out that smoking a corned brisket is
>> just as good as smoking a fresh one because its been brined. We'll
>> see about that at around 6:30 this evening.
>
> Well, there are a few warnings about that, but too late now. How
> did it come out? (salty?)
>

Yep, quite salty. My fault, since I just gave if a quick rinse under
running water befor I put it in the smoker. As Ed pointed out, I
essentially made pastrami, but I thought it was pretty good pastrami.
Next time, I'll go to the local butcher instead of the supermarket and
get a fresh point cut for more traditional Texas brisket.

Sqwertz

unread,
Aug 13, 2021, 7:33:30 AM8/13/21
to
On Thu, 05 Aug 2021 04:43:51 -0500, Alan Holbrook wrote:

> Yep, quite salty. My fault, since I just gave if a quick rinse under
> running water befor I put it in the smoker. As Ed pointed out, I
> essentially made pastrami, but I thought it was pretty good pastrami.
> Next time, I'll go to the local butcher instead of the supermarket and
> get a fresh point cut for more traditional Texas brisket.

I make pastrami from tri-tips and brisket pretty often. This is a
regular smoked tri-tip in the shadow of a whole brisket pastrami. I
dry cured the brisket (pink salt #1) and seasoned with coriander,
pepper, garlic, and mustard for 5 days before smoking.

https://i.postimg.cc/25myF0wb/Whole-Brisket-Pastrami-and-Tri-Tip.jpg

-sw

Shomlo Smoker

unread,
Oct 19, 2021, 6:00:46 PM10/19/21
to

Alex

unread,
Oct 19, 2021, 7:50:29 PM10/19/21
to
-sw has a better smoke ring.  Work on it.

Shomlo Smoker

unread,
Oct 20, 2021, 5:04:37 PM10/20/21
to

Alex

unread,
Oct 20, 2021, 7:40:56 PM10/20/21
to
So you stole a photo.  Fantastic!

Shomlo Smoker

unread,
Oct 22, 2021, 6:26:46 PM10/22/21
to
Oh, was it marked for sale or sumpin?

Sqwertz

unread,
Oct 23, 2021, 3:25:07 AM10/23/21
to
On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 16:00:45 -0600, Shomlo Smoker wrote:

> On 8/13/2021 5:33 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Thu, 05 Aug 2021 04:43:51 -0500, Alan Holbrook wrote:
>>
>>> Yep, quite salty. My fault, since I just gave if a quick rinse under
>>> running water befor I put it in the smoker. As Ed pointed out, I
>>> essentially made pastrami, but I thought it was pretty good pastrami.
>>> Next time, I'll go to the local butcher instead of the supermarket and
>>> get a fresh point cut for more traditional Texas brisket.
>>
>> I make pastrami from tri-tips and brisket pretty often. This is a
>> regular smoked tri-tip in the shadow of a whole brisket pastrami. I
>> dry cured the brisket (pink salt #1) and seasoned with coriander,
>> pepper, garlic, and mustard for 5 days before smoking.
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/25myF0wb/Whole-Brisket-Pastrami-and-Tri-Tip.jpg
>
> looks about half raw - ick.

Why are you here, asswipe? Who in the fuck trolls usenet groups that
have been dead for 10+ years?

> https://x5r6r2z8.stackpathcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/perfect-brisket-1024x683.jpg

An picture extra-dry brisket (not pastrami) and SAUCED! (UGH!) that
you stole from a stock photo database. What should we expect from
you next? Surely you can do better than that, right?

-sw

Sqwertz

unread,
Oct 23, 2021, 3:31:02 AM10/23/21
to
Yeah! Another stolen photo - This one from porkysblazinbbq.com.

Do you have an ORIGINAL photo you've taken of YOUR BBQ? You're more
than a few kernels shy of cob, so I suspect not.

The only surprising thing is that you're not a Google poster. How
is that you know how to use Usenet but you're still manage to be a
fucking idiot?

-sw

Alex

unread,
Oct 23, 2021, 11:08:59 PM10/23/21
to
True!
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages