Tausi and Mensi, are they the same?

Enrique

Sep 28, 2007, 4:07:00 PM9/28/07
Hi.
I know both (mensi and tausi) are made of black beans, and some
recipes indicate mensi or tausi.
Are they the same thing? I bought a "black bean souce" jar , is that
mensi or tausi?

Thanks
Enrique

Tippi

Oct 15, 2007, 11:31:35 AM10/15/07
On Sep 28, 4:07 pm, Enrique <egalv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I know both (mensi and tausi) are made of black beans, and some
> recipes indicate mensi or tausi.

Not quite true, both are fermented soy beans, but
dau si = dry individual beans that are black in colour
meen si = beans in a paste that is brown in colour

To use dau si, you have to rinse and mash them, and usually fry them.
So some companies like Lee Kam Kee has made dau si sauce in a bottle
which saves you all these steps. Dau si has a stronger flavour, while
meen si has a fuller rounder flavour.

June H

Nov 4, 2021, 3:22:34 PM11/4/21
Well actually, in Peru, Fermented Black Bean Paste would be label as Salsa Mensi. Even though, technically, Mensi should be different from Tausi as Tippi mention.