Hitachi Rice Cooker Question

Overbeck

Jan 7, 2002, 10:56:17 PM1/7/02
I bought a Hitachi RD-4053 rice cooker/steamer at a thrift store today. It's
either brand new or it was owned by Marth Stewart! However, it came with no
box, booklet or instructions. I'm not sure if it is complete as it isn't
like other rice cookers I've seen.

I've owned a couple of other rice cookers/steamers (american made) and they
both had a separate "rice bowl" which you put the rice in. This separated
the rice from the water. The Hitachi doesn't have a separate rice bowl. It
looks like a small crock pot and has a removable aluminum (I think) liner
with a little removable steam insert.

If anyone has any experience with the asian type rice cookers I'd appreciate
learning if those units require a rice bowl accessory or if you just put the
rice and water together in the aluminum pot. The unit is supposed to be
automatic and will switch from "cook" to "warm" when completed. It could be
that the rice couldn't be kept warm if it were cooked in a separate bowl
inside the cooker.

Also, if anyone could send me some basic instructions on how to use the
unit, I would *greatly* appreciate it. Things like how much rice and water
to use, and any other tips on how to use it.

Many thanks in advance,

Buz Overbeck

Vijay Kumar

Jan 8, 2002, 1:16:12 AM1/8/02
You put the rice and water in the pot. Add 2-4 cups of water for 1 cup rice
depending on how dry or soggy you want your rice to be. You can always
adjust the amount upward or downward in your next run.

One other thing. When the unit clicks from cook to warm position, unplug
the cord. This will make the unit easier to clean, and prevent the rice
from sticking to the bottom of the pot.

"Overbeck" <over...@inreach.com> wrote in message

Winnie Kwong

Jan 8, 2002, 3:06:16 AM1/8/02
2-4 cups of water? Isn't that a bit much? I say at the most 2 cups of
water for each 1 cup of rice. I have actually never seen a rice cooker like
you described (with a separate bowl for rice). It almost sounds like you
would be steaming the rice instead of boiling the rice (which is what you're
doing now).

Rheilly Phoull

Jan 8, 2002, 5:49:06 AM1/8/02
Hi
Yes Winnie is right !!
The ratio is 1.5 cups water to 1 cup rice.
We have this type of cooker and you won't go wrong with that. As far as
turning it off when it goes to the "Keep warm" mode, personally I feel that
is not a good move. In my opinion after it's cooked the best thing for nice
fluffy rice is to leave it to steam in that mode.
Cheers from Oz ...................... Mike B
"Winnie Kwong" <poo...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Sandra

Jan 8, 2002, 8:07:19 AM1/8/02

"Overbeck" < wrote in message

> I bought a Hitachi RD-4053 rice cooker/steamer at a thrift store today.
It's
> either brand new or it was owned by Marth Stewart! However, it came with
no
> box, booklet or instructions. I'm not sure if it is complete as it isn't
> like other rice cookers I've seen.
>

> If anyone has any experience with the asian type rice cookers I'd

appreciate
> learning if those units require a rice bowl accessory or if you just put
the
> rice and water together in the aluminum pot. The unit is supposed to be
> automatic and will switch from "cook" to "warm" when completed. It could
be
> that the rice couldn't be kept warm if it were cooked in a separate bowl
> inside the cooker.
>
> Also, if anyone could send me some basic instructions on how to use the >
unit, I would *greatly* appreciate it. Things like how much rice and water
> to use, and any other tips on how to use it.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Buz Overbeck

Hi, I use this kind of rice cooker too. 1 cup rice to 1.5 cup water.
Immediately after cooking, I do unplug and remove the pot of rice out. When
I left my pot still in the cooker, the rice was stuck to the base. Perhaps
you could test it by leaving it and see if it gets stuck. Different models
of rice cookers react a bit differently.

When I use jasmine rice and basmati rice I use the exactly the 1 to 1.5
ratio. However when I use rice that tend to take in more water then I use a
bit more water than 1.5.

When you are preparing to put the pot of uncooked rice into the cooker, it's
good that you give a wipe to the outer pot to remove any water. Try not to
use metal spoons which might scratch the metal. I never use the scouring
part of the sponge to clean the pot.

I love my rice cooker coz I make wonderful bryani rice and coconut flavoured
rice with it.

Enjoy yourself with many moments of perfect rice everytime.
Sandra

Overbeck

Jan 8, 2002, 11:25:52 AM1/8/02
Many thanks to all who responded to my post.

I've saved all of the replys to create my own user manual!

Buz Overbeck

the phantom

Jan 8, 2002, 9:35:44 PM1/8/02
If you have any speficic queries, I suggest you go to this page and email
them.The might even send you an instruction booklet.

http://www.hitachiconsumer.com.sg/

"Overbeck" <over...@inreach.com> wrote in message

tru...@magix.com.sg

Jan 9, 2002, 10:24:27 PM1/9/02
On Tue, 08 Jan 2002 13:07:19 GMT, "Sandra" <alexsa...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>When I use jasmine rice and basmati rice I use the exactly the 1 to 1.5
>ratio. However when I use rice that tend to take in more water then I use a
>bit more water than 1.5.
>
>When you are preparing to put the pot of uncooked rice into the cooker, it's
>good that you give a wipe to the outer pot to remove any water. Try not to
>use metal spoons which might scratch the metal. I never use the scouring
>part of the sponge to clean the pot.
>
>I love my rice cooker coz I make wonderful bryani rice and coconut flavoured
>rice with it.
>
>Enjoy yourself with many moments of perfect rice everytime.
>Sandra

Would you be kind enough to share your bryani rice recipe?

Thanks

tru...@magix.com.sg

Jan 9, 2002, 10:24:26 PM1/9/02
On Tue, 08 Jan 2002 06:16:12 GMT, "Vijay Kumar" <vjku...@attbi.com>
wrote:

>You put the rice and water in the pot. Add 2-4 cups of water for 1 cup rice
>depending on how dry or soggy you want your rice to be. You can always
>adjust the amount upward or downward in your next run.
>
>One other thing. When the unit clicks from cook to warm position, unplug
>the cord. This will make the unit easier to clean, and prevent the rice
>from sticking to the bottom of the pot.

Should the rice stick then soak it in water for a few hours. Do not
use an abrasive to scrub the rice out as you will scratch the
aluminium

Sandra

Jan 10, 2002, 5:05:28 AM1/10/02
<tru...@magix.com.sg> wrote in message

> Would you be kind enough to share your bryani rice recipe?
>
> Thanks

Hi, I see you send out your mail from singapore. I bought my cookery book
from serangoon road *smile* ...

I make my rice very simple. 3 cups of rice serves 2 people with a bit of
leftover.

Ingredients for the Bryani Rice
3 cups of basmati rice, washed and drained.
1tbsps ghee

Spices for frying:
1 cinnamon stick
1 cardamon
2 star anise

20 grams cashew nuts
1-2 tbsps raisins
1 tbsps ginger garlic paste
1 onions, sliced
1.5 cups of water for each cup rice, therefore 4 1/2 cups water.
salt to taste
a pinch of yellow food colour

Method:
1. Heat ghee, add the spices for frying and stir well.
2. Add the cashew nuts and raisins and fry till brown. Remove to a plate.
3. Add the onions, saute, then add ginger garlic paste, and stir.
4. Add the washed and drained rice to this, mixing it well, the rice should
look kind of translucent.
5. Transfer all the contents to a rice cooker pot, add water, salt and
leave to cook.
6. When rice is half cooked, stir once then add the yellow colour to one
part of the rice. Don't stir.
7. when rice is completely cooked, then loosen the rice and gently mix the
coloured part to the rest of the rice that is not coloured. Be gentle so as
not to break the basmati rice.

Enjoy !!!!!!

Sandra

Jan 10, 2002, 5:10:12 AM1/10/02
sorry, slight oversight.
Point 2 comes before 1. fry cashew and raisings. remove to plate, then in
remaining ghee add the spices for frying, onions etc etc

> Method:
> 1. Heat ghee, add the spices for frying and stir well.
> 2. Add the cashew nuts and raisins and fry till brown. Remove to a plate.
> 3. Add the onions, saute, then add ginger garlic paste, and stir.

San

Overbeck

Jan 10, 2002, 11:49:12 AM1/10/02
When you say "3 cups of Basmati Rice" do you mean 3 *8 oz* cups or 3 of the
cups that come with the rice cooker (about 5 1/2 + oz)?

Seems like 3 cups of uncooked rice (normally = 9 cups of cooked rice) should
serve more than 2 people.

Thanks,

Buz

"Sandra" <alexsa...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Sandra

Jan 10, 2002, 1:07:35 PM1/10/02

> When you say "3 cups of Basmati Rice" do you mean 3 *8 oz* cups or 3 of
the
> cups that come with the rice cooker (about 5 1/2 + oz)?
>
> Seems like 3 cups of uncooked rice (normally = 9 cups of cooked rice)
should
> serve more than 2 people.
>
> Thanks,

I use the cup that comes with the rice cooker. About 140 gm. Well, it
serves us enough with a bit of left over. Hubby normally takes two
servings.

Sand

Vanango

Jan 14, 2002, 7:28:31 PM1/14/02
My Rice Cooker is my favorite appliance. My entire dorm loves it :)

For some variation we put Chicken Broth as a substitute for water (even
though the manual says not to... shh, keep that a secret!) I also unplug my
cooker after it's finished cooking (habit I got from my mum)

Young Sul

Jan 15, 2002, 11:09:07 AM1/15/02
Really? The manual says not to add broth? I do that fairly often...although
I just throw a few boullion cubes in usually. What brand cooker do you have?

Vanango

Jan 16, 2002, 12:42:44 AM1/16/02
I have a White Westing House.

WHen I cook it in Chicken Broth the bottem always burns but I like a little
burnt rice.

Hopefully it's not ruining my pot.

Young Sul

Jan 16, 2002, 1:12:21 AM1/16/02

Hmmm...ricecookers shouldn't burn the rice (at least mine doesn't
and its a cheapy -- its a "single person's" tiny cheapo ricecooker).

I'd think in the long term it would be bad for the cooker, but
if it tastes good, I'd go for it (barring any possibilites of it
catching fire, of course!)

If you can afford it, you might want to get one of the newfangled
"fuzzy logic" ricecookers. They are expensive, but they can make all
sorts of cool things...porridge, steamed veggies, etc...it could
probably paint your house too! :)=

Vanango

Jan 16, 2002, 12:42:59 PM1/16/02
well if I use it w/o broth it doens't burn! I have one of those single
person's rice cookers but it makes quite a bit of rice... It makes me
popular on my floor... I don't have to worry about painting my house (only
b/c I lack a house!)

My cooker came with an extra steamer thing so i can steam my own veggies.
My mum also uses our cooker to cook the "man tow" (I know the ping ying is
wrong but it's as good as I can get) Those great bun things. Yum!

Actually, I take that back, she doesn't use it to cook them, just to get
them warm and yummy again

Young Sul

Jan 16, 2002, 12:59:28 PM1/16/02
oh wow....are

"man tow" like ravioli? or more like "sho pao"?

In korean, we call "peking ravioli"-like things "mandu"

I wonder if mandu came from "man tow"????

Vanango

Jan 16, 2002, 1:20:11 PM1/16/02
by "sho pao" do you mean "Xiao Long Pao" (I used to think this meant little
dragon buns) The ManTao (or my orginal phonetic Man tow) is different from
the Xiano Long Pao. Those are the dumplings w/ the meat inside that are
steamed. It's more like "Ta sao pao" with out the pork filling (it's sweet
and red). So it's basically a sweet steamed bread.

I don't know what man tow is. How is it cooked? What is it made of?

Young Sul

Jan 16, 2002, 1:56:00 PM1/16/02

Korean mandu look a lot like gyoza, or thin-skinned peking ravioli (wonton?).
So I guess the Man Tao you were thinking of aren't anything like korean
mandu...oh well! It would have been cool if the chinese word was the
derivation for this korean food!

Nazodesu

Jan 16, 2002, 3:39:03 PM1/16/02
In article <kkou1tm...@tla.mit.edu>, Young Sul <yl...@mit.edu>
wrote:

> If you can afford it, you might want to get one of the newfangled
> "fuzzy logic" ricecookers. They are expensive, but they can make all
> sorts of cool things...porridge, steamed veggies, etc...it could
> probably paint your house too!

Well actually any of them should be able to make porridge and steamed
vegetables, right? But they don't necessarily have a button for it or
a timer that will go off. But otherwise it's a heating mechanism that
can gently simmer/boil that liquid off for you....

cookieg...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2014, 1:11:46 PM7/21/14
I just started 3 cups in mine. I need a new lid, mine got lost. Its so easy. Just use a one cup measure of rice then fill with water to line. If you put in three cups, fill to the three line. Put on the lid, push down the handle and it will cook perfectly. It will also keep it warm serving temp as long as you leave it on. Hope this helps.

nanihih...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2017, 11:20:18 PM1/15/17
You just put water and rice in the pot. It has 1 cup 2,3,4,5 & 5.6 cups. Put your rice by the cup and then add water to the marking. Put 1 cup rice and then fill to the 1 with water. Press on button and it will cook. When done it chimes and turns off. Then put on warm

Dan Logcher

Jan 18, 2017, 11:55:53 AM1/18/17
On 1/15/2017 11:20 PM, nanihih...@gmail.com wrote:
> You just put water and rice in the pot. It has 1 cup 2,3,4,5 & 5.6 cups. Put your rice by the cup and then add water to the marking. Put 1 cup rice and then fill to the 1 with water. Press on button and it will cook. When done it chimes and turns off. Then put on warm

Standard rice it typically a 2:1 water:rice ratio.

--
Dan