Chip of Fools: Watch This TV Anchor Eat a Dangerously Spicy Chip and Then Barf

Ubiquitous

Oct 26, 2017, 11:35:48 AM10/26/17
https://youtu.be/2xiOPyk0AkY

The great poet Maya Angelou once said, “When someone tells you who they
are, believe them.” These wise words are seldom more applicable than when
a novelty tortilla chip advertises itself as dangerously hot, “deadly,”
and “made with the world’s hottest pepper.” One morning TV anchor in
Denver learned this lesson the hard way when she and her cohorts each
took the Paqui One Chip Challenge. After one bite of the intensely hot
chip and one incredibly ill-advised swig of coffee, anchor Natalie Tysdal
ducked her head out of frame and booted all over the floor.

If this all sounds very stupid to you, know that, yes, it’s one of those
YouTube viral video challenges. The #OneChipChallenge is a promotion by
tortilla chip maker Paqui to promote their Carolina Reaper Madness chip,
boasted as the World’s Hottest Chip. The challenge is to try to eat said
chip and then film your anguished reaction for the rest of the internet
to see and laugh at.

The five-person team at Channel 2 Daybreak in Denver were aware of the
risks. They played a recording of the disclaimer from inside the chip
box, which included, “Subjects can expect short-term loss of speech,
followed by extreme profanity, heavy breathing, enhanced sinus functions,
and impaired vision from heat induced tears.” For Ms. Tysdal, the
experience was as advertised. After one bite, and a quick hubristic
selfie with the packaging, you can see the heat wash over her. In a rush
to mitigate the effect of the intense spiciness now engulfing her mouth,
she reaches for her nearest beverage — coffee? COFFEE?? — and swigs.

Tysdal immediately ducks her head beneath the desk, and one of her co-
anchors begins delivering the play-by-play on her puking: “Oh, Natalie’s
losing her breath. Ooh! Natalie threw up!” The best part is when this
yahoo starts to make a hackneyed “clean-up on aisle [X]” joke before
stopping in mid-stream to say that Natalie seriously needs help.

Don’t worry, though, Tysdal is fine now. She posted on her Facebook with
an update:

I thought I was okay until I had a drink of my coffee to
wash down the chip. I threw up, couldn’t breathe and felt
like fire was coming out of my mouth, nose and ears. I had
a bottle of water, a glass of milk, a tablespoon of honey
and 3 mints and still felt on fire. An hour later I had
chills and a massive headache. Three hours have gone by
and I feel like I was beat up in a dark alley.

Guess that massive headache is what “enhanced sinus functions” is
supposed to mean. It was probably too much to hope that “enhanced sinus
functions” would be some kind of olfactory superpower. Alas.

Anyway, another great time had by all on a viral-video challenge! Good
job, internet!

"This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. This is only a test.
Had this been an actual emergency, you'd be writhing on the ground in
unspeakable agony, bleeding from every orifice, with your blackened skin
falling away in ragged strips."