Is aspertame dangerous?

19 views
Skip to first unread message

Anonymous

unread,
Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99
to
mse...@onramp.net (Michael Selby) wrote:

>I've been looking up information on aspertame (Nutrasweet) and most of
>it seems negative. The list of symptons is so wide ranging it seems
>unlkely.
>
>They include:
>
>Headaches/Migraines
>Dizziness
>Seizures
>Nausea
>Numbness
>Muscle spasms
>Weight gain
>Rashes
>Depression
>Fatigue
>Iritability
>Tachycardia
>Insomnia
>Vision Problems
>Hearing Loss
>Heart palpitations
>Breathing difficulties
>Anxiety attacks
>Slurred Speech
>Loss of taste
>Tinnitus
>Vertigo
>Memory loss
>Joint PainIs
>
>Is there any validity to the accusations of aspertame having such an
>ill effect on people. Personallt I do get fatigued now and then and
>I've gained a lot of weight since college. Since I've been drinking a
>lot of diet soda over the years perhaps my continued weight gain is
>caused by aspertame and not the lack of excercise and eating too much
>as I had previously suspected. Maybe I can blame aspertame for all my
>problems from now on.

That aspartame is dangerous is pretty much debunked as an urban legend.
Kind of like MSG getting blamed for young girls reaching puberty earlier.
The weight gain thing is the exception, though. Wierdly enough, aspartame,
used in diet sodas, *is* a known appetite enhancer.

>I shouldn't be too quick to joke though. I've known quite a few people
>over the years that have stated how diet drinks give tem terrible
>headaches.

Lack of caffein probably


claudia

unread,
Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99
to
Aspartame is one of the most tested substances on earth. The FDA, after all
the wild accusations required be tested yet again and could find nothing
that supported the claims of it's danger. Some people may very well be
sensitive to it, just like others are sensitive to shell fish etc. But if
you look at the list of symptoms, it credits aspartame with every typical
symptom for loads of other medical conditions. It's like saying that
everyone who has these symptoms also has socks so the socks are the culprit.
Stupid yes, but then so is most of the anti-aspartame theories out there.
The one thing that I do hear a lot is headaches. So if you use it and you
get a headache, stop using it. As for diet sodas, the headaches could be
the aspartame, the caffeine or lack there as well. Bottom line for me is
that I have used a ton of the stuff since it became available. I am still
living and that's enough proof for me!
claudia

550/386/157 A malcontent and proud of it! Low fat rocks!
I prefer carrots, so please remove the potatoes to reply.
For Claudia's Cooking Newsletter celebrating low fat, sugar free cooking and
living
visit http://cookingnewsletter.ecorp.net

Anonymous <nob...@replay.com> wrote in message
news:1999030120...@replay.com...

Steve Wood

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to
I don't know if it's harmful or not, but I've heard another bit of folklore
about it.

Personally, I cannot stand the taste of aspartame. To me, it tastes awful
(not artificial--awful). Sort of like what I imagine model airplane glue
might taste like if it were a hard candy.

I have been told by non-medical types that this is a genetic trait, like
people who can't stand the smell of post-asparagus-eating urine (ahem!).
According to these folks, about 10% of people don't like the taste of
aspartame, and that the diet-soda manufacturers are well aware of this
problem with the product. Supposedly, they (the soda co.s) would all like
to go back to using saccharine, which doesn't taste bad to 10% of their
potential customers. Unfortunately, saccharine supposedly causes cancer in
rats, so the pop manufacturers are stuck with safe and un-tasty (to some)
aspartame.

Comments?

Anonymous wrote in message <1999030120...@replay.com>...

rich

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to
Also schrieb Steve Wood:
>Comments?

Wait for Splenda-sweetened drinks. Ocean Spray sells Lifestyle brand
cranberry juice cocktails sweetened with Splenda now. Reportedly, Diet
RC Cola is sweetened with it too but I've never seen the product.

In my coffee, I mix one aspartame and one sweet and low packet. It's to
nurse my splenda supply along till it hits store shelves.

--
If I wanted your opinion, I'd take you off my killfile.

Pete

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to
claudia wrote:
> Aspartame is one of the most tested substances on earth. The FDA, after all
> the wild accusations required be tested yet again and could find nothing
> that supported the claims of it's danger. [snip]
--------
Claudia, I recommend (becasue I'm doing it myself) that you don't
blindly believe any single source but gather info from all sources
and back this up by your own long term study.

In my case, I have family members who believe in aspartame safety
and use it on a regular basis, whereas, I personally decided to
eliminate aspartame from my diet. Now, we continue on living and
consuming and in 10 years or so I revaluate the data as compared
to history of illness between people of the same basic gene pool.

Claudia, I'll meet you here in 10 years! <grin>

---pete---

kim...@aol.com

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to
>That aspartame is dangerous is pretty much debunked as an urban legend.
>Kind of like MSG getting blamed for young girls reaching puberty earlier.
>The weight gain thing is the exception, though. Wierdly enough, aspartame,
>used in diet sodas, *is* a known appetite enhancer.

The thing is, SOME people are sensitive to aspartame and this gives just
enough truth to it to give it holding power. *Some* of the symptoms I've
seen attributed to aspartame are more likely low blood sugar or caffeine
withdrawl.

Think of it this way, some folks are deathly ... literally ... allergic
to peanuts. This does not mean peanuts are "dangerous" to those who are
not allergic. Sensititivity to aspartame is the same sort of thing,
although it isn't an allergy.

-- Kim

George

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to
On Tue, 02 Mar 1999 06:02:10 -0500, it is alleged that Pete
<pfeder...@erols.com> struck their keyboard in the following
manner:

Pete, I'll bet that Aspartame is going to be used much less 10 years
from now. Splenda and other sweeteners that are being developed will
eat into Aspartame's market dominance, especially if they taste better
(and I expect they will). I use Aspartame now because there isn't much
of an alternative here in the US. I also use Saccharin too, but that
has it's own health risks. When something new comes along, I'd drop
these two in a heartbeat. I'm sure many others feel the same.

George
335/312/ask me when I get to 200


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself
into in the first place." - Jonathan Swift


Douglas S. Caprette

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to

In a previous article, nob...@replay.com (Anonymous) says:

>mse...@onramp.net (Michael Selby) wrote:
>
>>I've been looking up information on aspertame (Nutrasweet) and most of
>>it seems negative. The list of symptons is so wide ranging it seems
>>unlkely.

>>...


>
>Lack of caffein probably
>
>

Caffein has no nutritional value, i.e. no calories. Diet beverages are
sugar-free, not caffein-free. To be precise, some diet beverages are
caffein-free, like ginger ale, but the point is that caffein-free and
diet are two different things. A diet beverage can be caffeinated or
not.

If a person has reduced both the sugar and the caffein in their diet,
then either or both effects could be causing headaches--as opposed
to adding aspartame to their diet.


--
Douglas S Caprette

"That the average human being only uses about 10% of their brain is
quite evident from even the most casual perusal of Usenet postings."

jamie

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to
I find aspartame to have a plasticky aftertaste, myself, similar to
the plasticky aftertaste of non-dairy creamer and Cool Whip (even sugar
sweetened).
I don't taste any aftertaste in Sweet-One (acesulfame-K), but some
people do.

Miche wrote:
>It also goes along with whether or not you think celery tastes bitter or
>not. I do taste the bitterness in celery; to me it's just off
>unbearable. I wonder if there's a correlation.

I find bitter celery to be a sometime thing. I suspect it has to do
with the quality of water it was grown in, and varies like saltiness,
or perhaps it gets bitter when picked late, like lettuce does.
I always taste a bit of celery before I buy.

--
jamie (mj...@austin.rr.com)

"There's a seeker born every minute."

jamie

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to
Steve Wood <scw...@home.com> wrote:
>According to these folks, about 10% of people don't like the taste of
>aspartame, and that the diet-soda manufacturers are well aware of this
>problem with the product. Supposedly, they (the soda co.s) would all like
>to go back to using saccharine, which doesn't taste bad to 10% of their
>potential customers. Unfortunately, saccharine supposedly causes cancer in
>rats, so the pop manufacturers are stuck with safe and un-tasty (to some)
>aspartame.

I find it difficult to believe that only 10% dislike the saccharin taste.
I think a much larger percentage find it nastier. (although I dislike
the aspartame taste myself, also.)

I predict that sucralose (Splenda) and acesulfame-K (Sweet-One)
will replace aspartame in most diet sodas in the next couple of years
not because of real or perceived risks of aspartame, but because the
newer two sweeteners are not subject to the sort of heat breakdown that
aspartame is. There is nothing nastier than opening a can of diet soda
and finding it has no sweetness at all left in it, after it travelled
in hot trucks and spent time in hot warehouses.

Convenience stores here in the south seem to be very aware of the problem.
12-packs of Coke and other sodas are always in large stacks outside the
front door, but never any of the diet soda.

George X. Kambic

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to

Pete wrote:

> claudia wrote:
> > Aspartame is one of the most tested substances on earth. The FDA, after all
> > the wild accusations required be tested yet again and could find nothing
> > that supported the claims of it's danger. [snip]
> --------
> Claudia, I recommend (becasue I'm doing it myself) that you don't
> blindly believe any single source but gather info from all sources
> and back this up by your own long term study.

Look clueless one, if you have a better way of doing science by other surveying
sites and then doing an unblinded study on your family, please tell us. I
recommend
that you examine the quality of the work done by these various sources, rather
than
just "gathering" information. Your family may have a genetic disposition to react
to
(or not react to ) aspartame. Have you controlled for that? Will you be the one
to make the independent observations of your family's health? How will you
control
for other factors such as alien abductions and implantations, and the effects of
low
frequency EM fields?

The FDA has evidence. What do you have?


bachcole

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to
It is the nature of tests that they can never be definitive, unless
the test can test every single individual under all circumstances.

Since the FDA in its infinite wisdom has those who have major
financial interests in whatever substance is under study, ALL tests
for drugs are automatically suspect.

Roger

bachcole

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to
"George X. Kambic" <kam...@ct.picker.com> wrote:

>
>The FDA has evidence. What do you have?
>

All FDA evidence is suspect because all so-called evidence is gathered
by those with billions of dollars at stake.

Roger

Dimitri G Criona

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to

Anonymous wrote in message <1999030120...@replay.com>...
>>I've been looking up information on aspertame (Nutrasweet) and most of
>>it seems negative. The list of symptons is so wide ranging it seems
>>unlkely.
>>

First, have to courage and common decency to put you name on your post and
not list it as anonymous are you afraid to let people know who you are????

Second, if you want to find something 100% safe, drink water only and starve
to death. Some people are allergic to almost everything.

Third, exercise your economic power if you don't like something don't buy
it -NEXT ISSUE PLEASE.

Fourth, realize that people are human and have frailties - some people use
products and some people abuse products that is our nature.

Fifth, your stealth fools no one - if you have something to say then say
it - START WITH I BELIEVE - state your opinion then GO Away!

Dimitri


Ray Depew

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to

I think you're in the wrong neighborhood.

Regards
Ray D.

Michael Selby

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to
On Tue, 2 Mar 1999 08:51:41 -0800, "Dimitri G Criona"
<DIMI...@prodigy.net> wrote:

>
>Anonymous wrote in message <1999030120...@replay.com>...
>>>I've been looking up information on aspertame (Nutrasweet) and most of
>>>it seems negative. The list of symptons is so wide ranging it seems
>>>unlkely.
>>>
>
>
>
>First, have to courage and common decency to put you name on your post and
>not list it as anonymous are you afraid to let people know who you are????

I did NOT post anonymously. The cross posting mess that the thread
winded up in screwed up my original header. My name IS on the first
message in the thread posted in sci.skeptic and sci.med in message
<5D1BD8E333C7B5D0.4CF1E113...@library-proxy.airnews.net>

>
>Second, if you want to find something 100% safe, drink water only and starve
>to death. Some people are allergic to almost everything.

I have found conflicting reports on aspertame and I am in the practice
of looking into these things rather than believing the first opinion I
come across. This thread has shown me one thing and that is that there
are a lot of people in disagreement with each other on this issue. Is
this a cover similar to the smoking industries insistence that links
to cancer weren't proven or is it alarmist BS? I still don't know for
sure. All I do know for sure is that aspertame hasn't had any apparent
ill effects on me.


>
>Third, exercise your economic power if you don't like something don't buy
>it -NEXT ISSUE PLEASE.

Whatever.

>
>Fourth, realize that people are human and have frailties - some people use
>products and some people abuse products that is our nature.

Whatever.

Are you just padding this out to make five points and appear more
legit?

>
>Fifth, your stealth fools no one - if you have something to say then say
>it - START WITH I BELIEVE - state your opinion then GO Away!

I BELIEVE you are getting paranoid. I had a legitimate question and if
it has come up before than excuse me for not lurking 24 hours a day in
order to see similar information being posted.

I posted the symptoms I found on a web site, and I even stated my
skepticism about the whole "Is it dangerous?" question. The fact that
it looks overblown and is developing into yet another government
conspiracy only makes me more skeptical. If I hear about black
helicopters delivering aspertame to Coca Cola bottling plants I will
write off the whole thing as sensationalist tripe.

The problem with just writing it off is that one can find alarmist
sites that have a real point to make. The anti - DIVX sites are a good
example. You'd think Circuit CIty and the Hollywood lawyers were about
to kick in door and beat the hell out of you from reading some of
these sites, but I sure as hell am not going to side with DIVX because
their detractors got overzealous.

For now I will keep an eye open for any relevant information on
aspertame. In any case it looks like may be beaten in the sweetner
market before any dangerous side effects may ever be proven.

>
>Dimitri
>

Should you decide to further state any more of your opinions please
feel free to stick around afterwards.

Mike

David Wright

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to
In article <36dc0f14...@news.mindspring.com>,

bachcole <bach...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>"George X. Kambic" <kam...@ct.picker.com> wrote:
>
>>The FDA has evidence. What do you have?
>
>All FDA evidence is suspect because all so-called evidence is gathered
>by those with billions of dollars at stake.

Translation: "I don't have any evidence, but I'm really suspicious
anyway. And besides, the FDA are all doo-doo heads because one of
their employees told me something dumb once."

-- David Wright :: wright at ibnets.com :: Not a Spokesman for Anyone
These are my opinions only, but they're almost always correct.
"Few things give a greater feeling of security than a full gas tank."


David Wright

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to
In article <52KC2.99$_t2....@news.rdc1.ab.wave.home.com>,

Steve Wood <scw...@home.com> wrote:
>I don't know if it's harmful or not, but I've heard another bit of folklore
>about it.
>
>Personally, I cannot stand the taste of aspartame. To me, it tastes awful
>(not artificial--awful). Sort of like what I imagine model airplane glue
>might taste like if it were a hard candy.
>
>I have been told by non-medical types that this is a genetic trait, like
>people who can't stand the smell of post-asparagus-eating urine (ahem!).
>According to these folks, about 10% of people don't like the taste of
>aspartame, and that the diet-soda manufacturers are well aware of this
>problem with the product. Supposedly, they (the soda co.s) would all like
>to go back to using saccharine, which doesn't taste bad to 10% of their
>potential customers. Unfortunately, saccharine supposedly causes cancer in
>rats, so the pop manufacturers are stuck with safe and un-tasty (to some)
>aspartame.
>
>Comments?

If I recall correctly:

* saccharine has been suspected of being carcinogenic, but a special
exemption passed by Congress allows it to be sold anyway
* saccharine can be used in soft drinks legally. Tab contained the
stuff for many years. Maybe it still does. I haven't seen it in
a while.
* saccharine tastes pretty bad to most people.

I'd like to see them bring back cyclamate, since it's starting to look
as though the original reports that said *it* was carcinogenic were
wrong. But, they still exist, and the bureaucratic mindset will say
"let's keep it off the market because then if later on it turns out to
be carcinogenic after all, we won't get in trouble."

bachcole

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to
wri...@nospam.clam (David Wright) wrote:


>>
>>All FDA evidence is suspect because all so-called evidence is gathered
>>by those with billions of dollars at stake.
>
>Translation: "I don't have any evidence, but I'm really suspicious
>anyway. And besides, the FDA are all doo-doo heads because one of
>their employees told me something dumb once."
>

Dear David,

LOL. Your insults are so funny that they do not sting.

Actually, I have nothing much to say about aspertame except that I
naturally stay away from anything unnatural. Now, if that word does
not sit well with you, it sits well with me, and that is your problem.
The concept works for me.

The FDA condemns all alternative healing, and since I know of my own
experience that some of it works, I distrust them. They have done so
many evil and stupid things that I could not begin to list them all.

It is amazing to me that seemly sane and intelligent people who
otherwise distrust the military procurement office and Bill Clinton
and other government people should trust the FDA so blindly. It seems
to me that there is some emotional agenda that is impelling trust when
no government agency is worthy of such trust.

About the prune juice, I actually had heard that they said that prune
juice is not a laxative prior to my testing the FDA idiot. So that
would be two sources.

Roger

deke

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to
On Tue, 02 Mar 1999 16:18:28 GMT, bach...@mindspring.com (bachcole)
wrote:

>All FDA evidence is suspect because all so-called evidence is gathered
>by those with billions of dollars at stake.

Therefore we should believe the anti-aspartame faction. Because they
completely lack any evidence whatsoever, it isn't suspect.

deacon b.

Dimitri G Criona

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to

Michael Selby wrote in message ...

>Should you decide to further state any more of your opinions please
>feel free to stick around afterwards.


>Mike

Thanks I think I will, since you invited me.

Maybe you just don't have the perspective of time. As far as I can remember
we have been through the following;

Fluoridated water was considered to be a communist conspiracy to poison our
drinking water. Of course now the ADA is warning people not to drink too
much bottled water because they are not getting enough Fluoride to keep
their teeth healthy.

The Black Listed Hollywood writers were subverting our culture. - No comment

Cyclamates caused cancer and diabetics suffered. - Ask a diabetic what he
thinks?

Fried foods are bad for your health. Unless you live in So. California
where the SCAQMD is trying to shut down all commercial char-broilers so that
we can have fried hamburgers again. They would like to ban all lawn mowers
and BBQ's too.

Americans ate too much beef and not enough carbohydrates so we started carbo
loading and 10 years later as a nation we're heavier - Now the marathon
runners are fat loading.

Ewell Gibons <sp> remember him he touted Grape Nuts - I seem to remember he
died of stomach cancer.

Alcohol (wine) was bad for your health you could become an alcoholic - Now
the French paradox.

Aspirin and coke caused Teens to get high and.......... well you know.

Don't forget "Reefer Madness"

I have a serious problem understand why people continually blame others
(companies and products) for their problems (behavior) and seem to refuse to
take responsibility for their actions. As example if you (anyone) has
problems they think is associated with aspartame - don't use it for a period
of time! If the problem goes away maybe there is a cause and effect for
that person.

Oh yes, I almost forgot - Grilled food causes cancer - so I think I'll have
a *Healthy* Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad for lunch!

Then again maybe its just a bad day.

Dimitri

John Francis

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to
In article <miche_campbell-...@dialup110.albatross.co.nz>,

Miche and Dave <miche_c...@my-dejanews.com> wrote:
>In article <52KC2.99$_t2....@news.rdc1.ab.wave.home.com>, "Steve Wood"
><scw...@home.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't know if it's harmful or not, but I've heard another bit of folklore
>> about it.
>>
>> Personally, I cannot stand the taste of aspartame. To me, it tastes awful
>> (not artificial--awful). Sort of like what I imagine model airplane glue
>> might taste like if it were a hard candy.
>
>Yep. To me it doesn't taste sweet at all but kinda metallic.

>
>> I have been told by non-medical types that this is a genetic trait, like
>> people who can't stand the smell of post-asparagus-eating urine (ahem!).
>
>It also goes along with whether or not you think celery tastes bitter or
>not. I do taste the bitterness in celery; to me it's just off
>unbearable. I wonder if there's a correlation.

Well, anecdotally:

o I don't think aspartame has a metallic taste. But Saccharin(sp?) does.
And while I like my coffee with two (or more) sugars, I'll drink it
unsweetened rather than put sweet-and-low in it.

o I can detect the ketones in my urine after eating Asparagus.

o I am very sensitive to the taste of celery. I often find that even a
small amount of celery completely dominates the taste of a dish. It's
not that I dislike it - I can enjoy fresh celery. But it can often be
the only thing I taste in a dish.
My wife reacts in a similar fashion to mustard. So I could create a
dish that I wouldn't eat because it tasted solely of celery, while my
wife wouldn't eat it because all she could taste would be mustard.

claudia

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to
The key to good celery is to have it buried for part of it's growing time.
That way it does not get as green a it could. The least bitter stalks are
those that are white. Up in Amish country they actually bury the celery for
a portion of it's growing cycle in order to stop the bitterness from
farming. It is wonder ful stuff. However, around where I live now you can
only get the big green, woody stalks which are quite bitter.

--
claudia

550/386/157 A malcontent and proud of it! Low fat rocks!
I prefer carrots, so please remove the potatoes to reply.
For Claudia's Cooking Newsletter celebrating low fat, sugar free cooking and
living
visit http://cookingnewsletter.ecorp.net

jamie <ja...@bozo.local.net> wrote in message
news:slrn7do1ji...@bozo2.local.net...


>I find aspartame to have a plasticky aftertaste, myself, similar to
>the plasticky aftertaste of non-dairy creamer and Cool Whip (even sugar
>sweetened).
>I don't taste any aftertaste in Sweet-One (acesulfame-K), but some
>people do.
>
>Miche wrote:

>>It also goes along with whether or not you think celery tastes bitter or
>>not. I do taste the bitterness in celery; to me it's just off
>>unbearable. I wonder if there's a correlation.
>

>I find bitter celery to be a sometime thing. I suspect it has to do
>with the quality of water it was grown in, and varies like saltiness,
>or perhaps it gets bitter when picked late, like lettuce does.
>I always taste a bit of celery before I buy.
>

claudia

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to
Saccharine does cause cancer in rats, but it has been proven that this does
not cross over and happen in rats, so the move to ban saccharin has quietly
died with out being done.

--
claudia

550/386/157 A malcontent and proud of it! Low fat rocks!
I prefer carrots, so please remove the potatoes to reply.
For Claudia's Cooking Newsletter celebrating low fat, sugar free cooking and
living
visit http://cookingnewsletter.ecorp.net

Steve Wood <scw...@home.com> wrote in message
news:52KC2.99$_t2....@news.rdc1.ab.wave.home.com...


>I don't know if it's harmful or not, but I've heard another bit of folklore
>about it.
>
>Personally, I cannot stand the taste of aspartame. To me, it tastes awful
>(not artificial--awful). Sort of like what I imagine model airplane glue
>might taste like if it were a hard candy.
>

>I have been told by non-medical types that this is a genetic trait, like
>people who can't stand the smell of post-asparagus-eating urine (ahem!).

>According to these folks, about 10% of people don't like the taste of
>aspartame, and that the diet-soda manufacturers are well aware of this
>problem with the product. Supposedly, they (the soda co.s) would all like
>to go back to using saccharine, which doesn't taste bad to 10% of their
>potential customers. Unfortunately, saccharine supposedly causes cancer in
>rats, so the pop manufacturers are stuck with safe and un-tasty (to some)
>aspartame.
>
>Comments?
>

>Anonymous wrote in message <1999030120...@replay.com>...

jerry and judy

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to
In article <52KC2.99$_t2....@news.rdc1.ab.wave.home.com>, "Steve Wood"
<scw...@home.com> wrote:

>I don't know if it's harmful or not, but I've heard another bit of folklore
>about it.
>
>Personally, I cannot stand the taste of aspartame. To me, it tastes awful
>(not artificial--awful). Sort of like what I imagine model airplane glue
>might taste like if it were a hard candy.
>
>I have been told by non-medical types that this is a genetic trait, like
>people who can't stand the smell of post-asparagus-eating urine (ahem!).
>According to these folks, about 10% of people don't like the taste of
>aspartame, and that the diet-soda manufacturers are well aware of this
>problem with the product. Supposedly, they (the soda co.s) would all like
>to go back to using saccharine, which doesn't taste bad to 10% of their
>potential customers. Unfortunately, saccharine supposedly causes cancer in
>rats, so the pop manufacturers are stuck with safe and un-tasty (to some)
>aspartame.
>
>Comments?
>

This might help someone:

>>jerry and judy wrote:
>>>
>>> For ten or so years, I've had a slight headache (more than a twinge) in
>>> the right side toward the top of my head (an inch and a half above the
>>> leading edge of the ear), that would come and go daily. It would last a
>>> few hours and then just as quickly be gone. Aspirin etc. didn't seem to
>>> have the normal effect on this pain, because after an hour or two of
>>> taking something or not taking something for it, it would be gone, so I
>>> don't really know.
>>> Recently I bought some vitamins for my wife, she generally buys her own
>>> but she asked me to pickup some calcium/magnesium complex and a
>>> multivitamin. After wading through all the prices and choices, I couldn't
>>> decide and I ended up buying 3 different types of multivitamin.
>>> After that experience, I started an experiment of my own, taking a
>>> different multivitamin every day to see with which or if I might notice
>>> the biggest slight increase in energy. I think I did (with no difference
>>> between the brands), but the more important outcome was that my pain
>>> didn't come back!
>>> Today when I feel the first twinge of that very familiar discomfort I
>>> reach for the vitamins and it's been like magic! Not simply a
>>> diminishment in pain, but no onset, no residual feeling, nothing. Does
>>> this sound like an alleviated deficiency?
>>> I thought that I would just have to live with my quirky pain, I hope this
>>> helps someone else!

>>> Jerry
>>
>>why don't you try avoiding chocolate, aged cheese, wine, canned fish.
>>keep a diary of what you eat each day and note when you get the pain.
>>you might discover you are allergic to some foods. also note if you get
>>any immediate feeling in your gut when you eat something - like raw
>>broccoli. note the outcome.
>>regards.
>
>Thanks for taking the time to write.
>
>It was the 'pink stuff', calcium saccharin, Sweet and Low in this case. I
>only used it in coffee. When I cut down on coffee I noticed a big relief
>of my symptoms, so I figured the pain was caused by too much caffeine or
>withdrawal from caffeine. Just in case, I thought I'd try less Sweet and
>Low. When I cut down on Sweet and Low, the pain lessened and when I cut
>out Sweet and Low completely (but not coffee) the pain was gone
>permanently (so far).
>
>That saccharin is nasty stuff and I never used more than a half a packet
>-three times a day, at most.
>
>Jerry

claudia

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to
This thread has shown me one thing and that is that there
>are a lot of people in disagreement with each other on this issue. Is
>this a cover similar to the smoking industries insistence that links
>to cancer weren't proven or is it alarmist BS?

You had my interest and possible support until you wrote the above. If you
think that a usenet thread is actually part of a cover-up by the government
and Monsanto, then YOU are the one who is paranoid, no one else.

--
claudia

550/386/157 A malcontent and proud of it! Low fat rocks!
I prefer carrots, so please remove the potatoes to reply.
For Claudia's Cooking Newsletter celebrating low fat, sugar free cooking and
living
visit http://cookingnewsletter.ecorp.net

Michael Selby <mse...@onramp.net> wrote in message
news:CDAD9E55D062E45B.ED460778...@library-proxy.airnew
s.net...


>On Tue, 2 Mar 1999 08:51:41 -0800, "Dimitri G Criona"
><DIMI...@prodigy.net> wrote:
>
>>

>>Anonymous wrote in message <1999030120...@replay.com>...

>>>>I've been looking up information on aspertame (Nutrasweet) and most of
>>>>it seems negative. The list of symptons is so wide ranging it seems
>>>>unlkely.
>>>>
>>
>>
>>

>For now I will keep an eye open for any relevant information on
>aspertame. In any case it looks like may be beaten in the sweetner
>market before any dangerous side effects may ever be proven.
>
>>

>>Dimitri

Dr H

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Steve Wood wrote:

}I don't know if it's harmful or not, but I've heard another bit of folklore
}about it.

It's not, unless you suffer from a rare condition known as phenylketonuria.

}Personally, I cannot stand the taste of aspartame. To me, it tastes awful
}(not artificial--awful). Sort of like what I imagine model airplane glue
}might taste like if it were a hard candy.
}
}I have been told by non-medical types that this is a genetic trait, like
}people who can't stand the smell of post-asparagus-eating urine (ahem!).
}According to these folks, about 10% of people don't like the taste of
}aspartame, and that the diet-soda manufacturers are well aware of this
}problem with the product. Supposedly, they (the soda co.s) would all like
}to go back to using saccharine, which doesn't taste bad to 10% of their
}potential customers. Unfortunately, saccharine supposedly causes cancer in
}rats, so the pop manufacturers are stuck with safe and un-tasty (to some)
}aspartame.

But then what about the 10% of the population that can't stand the taste
of saccharine?

Anybody remember sodium cyclamate?

Dr H


Simon Slavin

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to
In article <1999030120...@replay.com>,
Anonymous <nob...@replay.com> wrote:

> [reposting the previous post and appending a one-line followup]

When replying to this post, please make sure your reply goes only to
newsgroups which are interested.

Simon.
--
No junk email please. | What a story !
<http://www.hearsay.demon.co.uk> | I can't wait to embellish it.
| -- Elaine from _Ally McBeal_

Cat & Kevin Jackson-Mead

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to
I suppose it depends on how you define "dangerous" - some people seem to
experience bad side effects while others do not. There is also evidence that
aspartate (one of the ingredients of aspartame/NutraSweet) can cause damage to
neurons that would not be immediately apparant like headaches, etc., would be.
I don't want to horribly mangle the explanation, so I'll leave you with my
reference - "Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills", by Russell Blaylock. I
haven't done much research into whether or not the adverse side effects are
really related to aspartame or not; the practical solution seems to be to avoid
the stuff if you are worried about it, and if you don't want to go back to
non-diet sodas because of the calories, drink something else, like water.

Cat

Anonymous wrote:

> mse...@onramp.net (Michael Selby) wrote:
>
> >I've been looking up information on aspertame (Nutrasweet) and most of
> >it seems negative. The list of symptons is so wide ranging it seems
> >unlkely.
> >

> >They include:
> >
> >Headaches/Migraines
> >Dizziness
> >Seizures
> >Nausea
> >Numbness
> >Muscle spasms
> >Weight gain
> >Rashes
> >Depression
> >Fatigue
> >Iritability
> >Tachycardia
> >Insomnia
> >Vision Problems
> >Hearing Loss
> >Heart palpitations
> >Breathing difficulties
> >Anxiety attacks
> >Slurred Speech
> >Loss of taste
> >Tinnitus
> >Vertigo
> >Memory loss
> >Joint PainIs
> >
> >Is there any validity to the accusations of aspertame having such an
> >ill effect on people. Personallt I do get fatigued now and then and
> >I've gained a lot of weight since college. Since I've been drinking a
> >lot of diet soda over the years perhaps my continued weight gain is
> >caused by aspertame and not the lack of excercise and eating too much
> >as I had previously suspected. Maybe I can blame aspertame for all my
> >problems from now on.


>
> That aspartame is dangerous is pretty much debunked as an urban legend.
> Kind of like MSG getting blamed for young girls reaching puberty earlier.
> The weight gain thing is the exception, though. Wierdly enough, aspartame,
> used in diet sodas, *is* a known appetite enhancer.
>

> >I shouldn't be too quick to joke though. I've known quite a few people
> >over the years that have stated how diet drinks give tem terrible
> >headaches.
>
> Lack of caffein probably


Bart Lidofsky

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to
In article <52KC2.99$_t2....@news.rdc1.ab.wave.home.com>, "Steve Wood" wrote:
>problem with the product. Supposedly, they (the soda co.s) would all like
>to go back to using saccharine, which doesn't taste bad to 10% of their
>potential customers. Unfortunately, saccharine supposedly causes cancer in
>rats, so the pop manufacturers are stuck with safe and un-tasty (to some)
>aspartame.
>
>Comments?

Actually, the most sane course would be to go back to cyclamates.
In spite of the widespread publicity when they were banned back in the
early 70's, the experiments which supposedly showed they caused cancer
have never been successfully duplicated, in spite of numerous attempts. By
the current standards of the scientific community, cyclamates are probably
the safest artificial sweetener. Unfortunately, lawmakers are frequently
ignorant of scientific method, and do not require that an experiment be
duplicated to cause a substance to be banned.

--
Bart Lidofsky
Systems Administrator
New York Theosophical Society
ny...@dorsai.org (official)
ba...@sprynet.com (personal)


TJ

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to
John Francis wrote:
>
> In article <miche_campbell-...@dialup110.albatross.co.nz>

> >It also goes along with whether or not you think celery tastes bitter or
> >not. I do taste the bitterness in celery; to me it's just off
> >unbearable. I wonder if there's a correlation.
>
> Well, anecdotally:
>
> o I don't think aspartame has a metallic taste. But Saccharin(sp?) does.
> And while I like my coffee with two (or more) sugars, I'll drink it
> unsweetened rather than put sweet-and-low in it.
>
> o I can detect the ketones in my urine after eating Asparagus.

YOU DRINK YOUR URINE?
tj

READ+POST=ROSIE

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to
being able to buy the "hearts" of celery, when all that is available is the
dark green stalks is a big benefit! otherwise, we get celery, here is
wisconsin that is light green and very sweet!

READ AND POST, EVERYDAY!
ROSIE

ALT.SUPPORT.DIET.LOW-CARB FAQ
http://www.grossweb.com/asdlc/


CHOCOLATE IS MY KRYPTONITE
http://members.aol.com/saguaropub/website/htmls/chocolate.html

LC/LC/LF
….chao ku kua t'ou

( if your crabby, use your killfile ! )

claudia wrote in message <7bhihf$1q...@news3.newsguy.com>...


>The key to good celery is to have it buried for part of it's growing time.
>That way it does not get as green a it could. The least bitter stalks are
>those that are white. Up in Amish country they actually bury the celery
for
>a portion of it's growing cycle in order to stop the bitterness from
>farming. It is wonder ful stuff. However, around where I live now you
can
>only get the big green, woody stalks which are quite bitter.
>

>--
>claudia
>
>550/386/157 A malcontent and proud of it! Low fat rocks!
>I prefer carrots, so please remove the potatoes to reply.
>For Claudia's Cooking Newsletter celebrating low fat, sugar free cooking
and
>living
>visit http://cookingnewsletter.ecorp.net
>

>jamie <ja...@bozo.local.net> wrote in message
>news:slrn7do1ji...@bozo2.local.net...
>>I find aspartame to have a plasticky aftertaste, myself, similar to
>>the plasticky aftertaste of non-dairy creamer and Cool Whip (even sugar
>>sweetened).
>>I don't taste any aftertaste in Sweet-One (acesulfame-K), but some
>>people do.
>>
>>Miche wrote:

>>>It also goes along with whether or not you think celery tastes bitter or
>>>not. I do taste the bitterness in celery; to me it's just off
>>>unbearable. I wonder if there's a correlation.
>>

READ+POST=ROSIE

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to
dear claudia,
didn't the studies about the rats and the saccharine point out how much
saccharine these rats were fed, in order to produce a cancer?
remember that scandal?

READ AND POST, EVERYDAY!
ROSIE

ALT.SUPPORT.DIET.LOW-CARB FAQ
http://www.grossweb.com/asdlc/

LC/LC/LF
….chao ku kua t'ou

( if your crabby, use your killfile ! )


claudia wrote in message <7bhi82$1q...@news3.newsguy.com>...


>Saccharine does cause cancer in rats, but it has been proven that this
does
>not cross over and happen in rats, so the move to ban saccharin has
quietly
>died with out being done.
>

>--
>claudia
>
>550/386/157 A malcontent and proud of it! Low fat rocks!
>I prefer carrots, so please remove the potatoes to reply.
>For Claudia's Cooking Newsletter celebrating low fat, sugar free cooking
and
>living
>visit http://cookingnewsletter.ecorp.net
>

>Steve Wood <scw...@home.com> wrote in message
>news:52KC2.99$_t2....@news.rdc1.ab.wave.home.com...

>>I don't know if it's harmful or not, but I've heard another bit of
folklore
>>about it.
>>

>>Personally, I cannot stand the taste of aspartame. To me, it tastes
awful
>>(not artificial--awful). Sort of like what I imagine model airplane glue
>>might taste like if it were a hard candy.
>>
>>I have been told by non-medical types that this is a genetic trait, like
>>people who can't stand the smell of post-asparagus-eating urine (ahem!).
>>According to these folks, about 10% of people don't like the taste of
>>aspartame, and that the diet-soda manufacturers are well aware of this

>>problem with the product. Supposedly, they (the soda co.s) would all
like
>>to go back to using saccharine, which doesn't taste bad to 10% of their
>>potential customers. Unfortunately, saccharine supposedly causes cancer
in
>>rats, so the pop manufacturers are stuck with safe and un-tasty (to some)
>>aspartame.
>>
>>Comments?
>>

>>Anonymous wrote in message <1999030120...@replay.com>...

Pete

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to
TJ wrote:
> YOU DRINK YOUR URINE?
---------
TJ, this is a bit off topic but it would certainly
be good candidate for another lively posting.
Go for it dude! ---pete---

Pete

unread,
Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99