The meaning of fuzzy dice

Karen J. Cravens

Mar 27, 2004, 1:11:14 PM3/27/04
In going through the Phoenyx' web logs (the server logs, that is, not
blogs), I run across all the search terms that people have used to find
it. Sometimes they're funny, sometimes surreal, and sometimes they're
actually accurate. We have a few recurring themes, though, and one that's
come to my attention makes me wonder if there's a sort of shoes-over-
power-lines UL attached to it.

I've gotten, from a variety of search engines and source domains, a
moderately large number of searches for "meaning of fuzzy dice" (or
variants thereof... if it's ask.com it'll usually be "what do fuzzy dice
mean" or "what is the meaning of fuzzy dice" or sometimes "will you please
tell me what fuzzy dice mean?")

Actually performing the search myself doesn't turn up anything
particularly enlightening, but that's okay, I'm not really curious about
what fuzzy dice mean, I'm curious about what people think fuzzy dice mean.
Or rather, if/why they think fuzzy dice *might* mean something.

L0nD0t.$t0we11

Mar 27, 2004, 1:31:06 PM3/27/04
Roughly 3/27/04 10:11, Karen J. Cravens's monkeys randomly typed:

> Actually performing the search myself doesn't turn up anything
> particularly enlightening, but that's okay, I'm not really curious about
> what fuzzy dice mean, I'm curious about what people think fuzzy dice mean.
> Or rather, if/why they think fuzzy dice *might* mean something.

1. Dice for softcore gamblers?

2. The manufacturer, Andrew Inc, ran out of dice clay?

3. Invented by Heisenberg?

4. The brown ones are actually called Fozzie Dice?

On a more serious note, first time I recall seeing them was about the
same era as the notorious J. C. Whitney Suicide Knob [or Necker Knob]
and from the same source. Hung from the rear view mirrors, typically
a convertible in the adverts.

--
Boys are stupid, throw rocks at them...

Alan Follett

Mar 27, 2004, 4:11:13 PM3/27/04
silve...@phoenyx.net (Karen J. Cravens) wrote:

<snip>

> I'm not really curious about what fuzzy dice
> mean, I'm curious about what people think
> fuzzy dice mean. Or rather, if/why they think
> fuzzy dice *might* mean something.

I recall my father cautioning me, circa 1958, to give wide berth to
anyone with fuzzy dice hanging from their rear-view mirror, this being,
in his view, a sure sigil of dubious social antecedents, and,
consequently, dubiouser driving skills. Of course, since then, fuzzy
dice have had a further stratum of nostalgic or ironic subtext laid down
over them.

Alan "much as with plactic lawn flamingos" Follett

Karen J. Cravens

Mar 27, 2004, 4:33:26 PM3/27/04
begin AFol...@webtv.net (Alan Follett) quotation from news:13377-
4065E...@storefull-3134.bay.webtv.net:

> I recall my father cautioning me, circa 1958, to give wide berth to
> anyone with fuzzy dice hanging from their rear-view mirror, this being,
> in his view, a sure sigil of dubious social antecedents, and,
> consequently, dubiouser driving skills. Of course, since then, fuzzy
> dice have had a further stratum of nostalgic or ironic subtext laid down
> over them.

There's that, of course, but I would imagine the searchers would be
looking for something that the *buyers* of the fuzzy dice are trying to
convey.

Bill Schnakenberg

Mar 27, 2004, 4:50:28 PM3/27/04
That they were 'cool'?
I eschewed the fuzzy dice, or anything else hanging from the mirror, since it was against the Vehicle and traffic law in my state.
I wonder what the little blue insert in the taillights meant.
I painted the round taillights of my 56 Ford convertible with black paint so that the only part that was clear red was an Ace of Spades. I wonder what that meant?
And what's with those Chia Pets?

--
Bill

Karen J. Cravens

Mar 27, 2004, 5:14:14 PM3/27/04
begin Bill Schnakenberg <will...@hvc.rr.com> quotation from

> Karen J. Cravens wrote:
>>There's that, of course, but I would imagine the searchers would be
>>looking for something that the *buyers* of the fuzzy dice are trying to
>>convey.
>>
> That they were 'cool'?

But why would anyone do a web search to find that out?

Crashj

Mar 27, 2004, 7:38:13 PM3/27/04
"Karen J. Cravens" <silve...@phoenyx.net> wrote in message news:<Xns94B97BFA...@130.133.1.4>...

<>
> I'm curious about what people think fuzzy dice mean.
> Or rather, if/why they think fuzzy dice *might* mean something.

An old guy in an old hotrod. In my case it is a 1973, 455 cubic inch
engine, four barrel, dual exhaust, hot rod with plumbing and fuzzy
white dice. Also front wheel drive and six wheels, 26 feet long.
--
Crashj

Karen J. Cravens

Mar 27, 2004, 9:27:59 PM3/27/04
begin cra...@mindspring.com (Crashj) quotation from

That's what *you* think it means, but not, apparently, what the web
searchers *thought* you thought it meant. Or else they wouldn't have had
to search the web to find out what you thought it meant.

Mary Shafer

Mar 27, 2004, 10:03:00 PM3/27/04

Tuck and roll? Dingleberries? Dago rake?

Mary

mil...@qnet.com

Alan Follett

Mar 27, 2004, 10:50:19 PM3/27/04
silve...@phoenyx.net (Karen J. Cravens) wrote:

That's what /you/ think they thought he thought, I think.

Alan "I think I'll just lie down with a cold compress on my head now"
Follett

John Francis

Mar 28, 2004, 1:01:17 AM3/28/04
In article <aa83a82f.0403...@posting.google.com>,

Lady Penelope? Is that you?

--
Hello. My name is Darth Vader. I am your Father. Prepare to die.

R H Draney

Mar 28, 2004, 1:14:47 AM3/28/04
Karen J. Cravens filted:

>Actually performing the search myself doesn't turn up anything
>particularly enlightening, but that's okay, I'm not really curious about
>what fuzzy dice mean, I'm curious about what people think fuzzy dice mean.
>Or rather, if/why they think fuzzy dice *might* mean something.

Observation: the total number of pips on a pair of dice is 42...this is also the
constant sum of the smallest (3x3x3) magic cube...and the largest number with
the property that it and all smaller positive integers are mentioned somewhere
in the Bible....

R H "the fuzzy part I'm still working on" Draney

Thomas Prufer

Mar 28, 2004, 3:40:12 AM3/28/04
On 28 Mar 2004 02:27:59 GMT, "Karen J. Cravens" <silve...@phoenyx.net>
wrote:

>Or else they wouldn't have had
>to search the web to find out what you thought it meant.

They are searching the web to find out what's cool? Either they are
geeks, or I am older than I thought. Or the world got younger, or
something.

I remember well when a friend bought a "Penthouse" air freshener to
dangle from the rear view mirror of his Ford Capri. This (the freshener,
not the Capri) was a cardboard snippet with a nude woman printed on it,
drenched in some sickly-sweet "freshener". Even he who'd shelled out
cash for the stupid thing found it so cloying that he banished it under
the rubber floor mat. The manufactured had anticipated this, because the
smell was still too powerful. The thing ended up in the trash.

Thomas Prufer

Keith Willis

Mar 28, 2004, 4:03:38 AM3/28/04
On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 18:31:06 GMT, "L0nD0t.$t0we11"
<"L0nD0t.$t0we11"@ComcastDot.Net> wrote:

> On a more serious note, first time I recall seeing them was about the
> same era as the notorious J. C. Whitney Suicide Knob [or Necker Knob]
> and from the same source. Hung from the rear view mirrors, typically
> a convertible in the adverts.

I was trying to figure out what on earth "fuzzy dice" might be, and
which area of probability theory might use them, but now I see it's
just a WIAVBP thing. "Fluffy dice" they always were on the right side
of the pond. Normally to be found hanging from the rear view mirrors
of Ford Cortinas and later Capris. In Essex.

--
http://www.bytebrothers.co.uk
PGP key ID 0xEB7180EC

netOBSESSIVE

Mar 28, 2004, 5:02:49 AM3/28/04
R H Draney wrote:

> Observation: the total number of pips on a pair of dice is 42...this is also the
> constant sum of the smallest (3x3x3) magic cube...and the largest number with
> the property that it and all smaller positive integers are mentioned somewhere
> in the Bible....

And the answer to the Question of Life, The Universe and Everything...

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Mar 28, 2004, 7:39:05 AM3/28/04
R H Draney wrote:

> Observation: the total number of pips on a pair of dice is 42...this is also the
> constant sum of the smallest (3x3x3) magic cube...and the largest number with
> the property that it and all smaller positive integers are mentioned somewhere
> in the Bible....
>
> R H "the fuzzy part I'm still working on" Draney

So the dice represent the answer to Life, the Universe, and
everything?

Charles "for the fuzzy part, ask the mice" Dimmick

--

"And some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the
chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony

Karen J. Cravens

Mar 28, 2004, 9:17:30 AM3/28/04
begin Keith Willis <m...@privacy.net> quotation from

> Normally to be found hanging from the rear view mirrors
> of Ford Cortinas and later Capris. In Essex.

Actually, it's the probability thing that made them find the Phoenyx site;
if they'd Googled for "'fuzzy dice'" instead of "fuzzy dice" they wouldn't
have found us.

*My* Capri never had fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror. A
graduation-cap tassel, yes, at least for a couple years, but that was
about it.

Olivers

Mar 28, 2004, 9:36:32 AM3/28/04
Keith Willis muttered....

I saw some....Pink four inch cubes hanging from the Mirror of a bright
purple w/much chrome new Peterbilt easing up US290 as it sweeps North of
Six Shooter Junction.

Whupping back from Houston the other evening (funeralizing, the great
USAian social experience, to which we're more attuned than were the
Aegypti, and for what else would you rise from a spartan breakfast, drive
200 miles, funeralize, post-funeral partake of a few shreds of funeral
meats and funereal gloom, stand with the men in the yard for a wee dram of
Auld Popskull - guiltily followed by a mug of Java from the Estoppe &
Shoppe - and drive 200 miles back, too late to enjoy supper were there any
cooked, but remembering the groaning board of "homemade" traditional
comfort foods you didn't have sense enough to load up on?).

Fuzzy dice and lavish post-funeral spreads of homemade specialties are both
relics of ancient cultures, preserved in tiny xenophobic enclaves. I knew
one era was past when the lemon meringue pies were replaced by those
souvenier of the 50s made with pineapple and whupped topping, but one of
the younger and not quite right up top cousins apparently brought a damn
store-bought cake this time.

Cousin Archie was heard to remark that he had drove clear up from the
ranch, a hard run after an early ride out checking to see if all the new
calves was up, and he sure didn't come that far for any g*ddamn store
bought cake. Little Betty saved the day though, and had brought about
a washtub of that Dirty Rice of hers, the one with chopped gizzards,
livers, jalapenos, garlic and green onions.

TM "A drumstick and a couple of second joints for the road" Oliver

David Winsemius

Mar 28, 2004, 10:18:39 AM3/28/04
Karen J. Cravens wrote in news:Xns94B97BFA...@130.133.1.4:

> . Or rather, if/why they think fuzzy dice *might* mean
> something.

Search stategy designed to get at what that which people are currently
obsessing:
"fuzzy dice" blog

Many hits for the dangling foam dice....
A superficial take; just retro-hip :
"Life may be a craps shoot, but you don't have to gamble with the
accessories you add to your car. Our retro Fuzzy Dice are the perfect
addition to any interior."
------------------
A bit of possible history was found on a 404ed but G-cached page:
"The History of The Fuzzy Dice

"The tradition of placing dice in a vehicle may have begun during World War
II. Pilots would place dice on their instrument panel with sevens showing
to bring them good luck on their missions. After the war, cars begin
hanging plastic dice from the rear view mirrors. But, as the story goes,
the plastic dice often melted, and were eventually replaced with flocked
material... and so the Lucky Fuzzy Dice was born!"
------------------
A slightly different version where they are more an emblem of danger than a
talisman against it:
"Why do so many people hang fluffy dice from their rear-view mirrors?

"Fuzzy dice first appeared during the late 1940s and early 1950s, with the
birth of the American hot-rod culture. Young returned servicemen with money
to burn and hotted-up older cars would participate in illegal street races.
It was this "dicing with death" and play on words that inspired the
creation of dashboard dice.

"Chris Lewis, Warradale, SA"
-----------

Fuzzy Dice by Paul Di Filippo. PS Publishing. 296 page hardback. Price
(hardback): £35.00 (UK), $90.00(US). ISBN: 1-902-880-66-X (deluxe
hardback);

It also appears to have acquired a new meaning as cute graphics on web
pages (http://trishwilson.typepad.com/blog/2003/12/that_giant_suck.html)

03/31/02 - "so you wanna try acid" guest animation on threebrain.com. Music
by The Fuzzy Dice, Sung by Todd Baran

Michael Jackson lyrics were mentioned on one website.

--
David "" Winsemius

L0nD0t.$t0we11

Mar 28, 2004, 11:32:32 AM3/28/04
Roughly 3/28/04 01:03, Keith Willis's monkeys randomly typed:

> I was trying to figure out what on earth "fuzzy dice" might be, and
> which area of probability theory might use them, but now I see it's
> just a WIAVBP thing. "Fluffy dice" they always were on the right side
> of the pond. Normally to be found hanging from the rear view mirrors
> of Ford Cortinas and later Capris. In Essex.

Or much earlier, on the mirror of a chopped and channelled '49 Merc.

The things were also a prize in those little steam shovel games at
travelling carnivals, dunno if that predated the J. C. Whitney era
or not.

Thomas Prufer

Mar 28, 2004, 2:05:08 PM3/28/04
On 28 Mar 2004 14:17:30 GMT, "Karen J. Cravens" <silve...@phoenyx.net>
wrote:

>Actually, it's the probability thing that made them find the Phoenyx site;

>if they'd Googled for "'fuzzy dice'" instead of "fuzzy dice" they wouldn't
>have found us.

Er, ah -- Schrödingers 'R' Us?

Thomas "here today, gone tomorrow" Prufer

L0nD0t.$t0we11

Mar 28, 2004, 3:09:59 PM3/28/04
Roughly 3/28/04 10:34, O J's monkeys randomly typed:

> On Sun, 28 Mar, L0nD0t.$t0we11 wrote:
>
>>Roughly 3/28/04 01:03, Keith Willis's monkeys randomly typed:
>>

>>> I was trying to figure out what on earth "fuzzy dice" might be, and
>>> which area of probability theory might use them, but now I see it's
>>> just a WIAVBP thing. "Fluffy dice" they always were on the right side
>>> of the pond. Normally to be found hanging from the rear view mirrors
>>> of Ford Cortinas and later Capris. In Essex.
>>
>> Or much earlier, on the mirror of a chopped and channelled '49 Merc.
>
> A chopped and channeled '49 Mercedes? A Merc is what they call a
> Mercedes Benz in Essex.

You either already know the answer or you'll never know the answer.

David Winsemius

Mar 28, 2004, 3:44:39 PM3/28/04
L0nD0t.$t0we11 wrote in news:riG9c.25234$K91.72335@attbi_s02:

> Roughly 3/28/04 10:34, O J's monkeys randomly typed:
>> On Sun, 28 Mar, L0nD0t.$t0we11 wrote:
>>
>>>Roughly 3/28/04 01:03, Keith Willis's monkeys randomly typed:
>>>

>>> Or much earlier, on the mirror of a chopped and channelled '49 Merc.
>>
>> A chopped and channeled '49 Mercedes? A Merc is what they call a
>> Mercedes Benz in Essex.
>
> You either already know the answer or you'll never know the answer.

Merc's were outboards where I grew up.

But "channeled"? 'Zat the same as "bored and stroked"?

--
David "had an Evinrude myself" Winsemius

Rick Tyler

Mar 28, 2004, 3:58:57 PM3/28/04
On 27 Mar 2004 22:14:47 -0800, R H Draney <dado...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

6+5+4+3+2+1=42?

HIBT?

- Rick "While the sum of any two opposing faces is 7, you don't get to
count each pair twice" Tyler

--
"Ignorant voracity -- a wingless vulture -- can soar only into the
depths of ignominy." Patrick O'Brian

Paul Tomblin

Mar 28, 2004, 4:02:15 PM3/28/04
In a previous article, Rick Tyler <rht...@comcast.net> said:
>On 27 Mar 2004 22:14:47 -0800, R H Draney <dado...@earthlink.net>
>wrote:
>>Observation: the total number of pips on a pair of dice is 42...this is
^^^^
>6+5+4+3+2+1=42?
>
>HIBT?

Dunno. Is your failure to read his fault?

--
Paul Tomblin <ptom...@xcski.com> http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Posting at the top because that's where the cursor happens to be is like

Bob Ward

Mar 28, 2004, 4:31:44 PM3/28/04
On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 18:34:59 GMT, O J <OJ...@pacbell.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Mar, L0nD0t.$t0we11 wrote:
>

>>Roughly 3/28/04 01:03, Keith Willis's monkeys randomly typed:
>>

>>> I was trying to figure out what on earth "fuzzy dice" might be, and
>>> which area of probability theory might use them, but now I see it's
>>> just a WIAVBP thing. "Fluffy dice" they always were on the right side
>>> of the pond. Normally to be found hanging from the rear view mirrors
>>> of Ford Cortinas and later Capris. In Essex.
>>
>> Or much earlier, on the mirror of a chopped and channelled '49 Merc.
>

> A chopped and channeled '49 Mercedes? A Merc is what they call a
>Mercedes Benz in Essex.
>

>O J "My other car is a Mercedes" Gritmon

Yes, but in Essex they are all confused about hoods and boots and
wings and tyres and stuff like that, too.

Bob Ward

Mar 28, 2004, 4:33:03 PM3/28/04

Channelled is when you lower the body on the frame. Usually the sled
would also be nosed and decked, with frenched taillights, as well.

Rick Tyler

Mar 28, 2004, 5:05:50 PM3/28/04
On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 21:02:15 +0000 (UTC), ptomblin...@xcski.com
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

>In a previous article, Rick Tyler <rht...@comcast.net> said:
>>On 27 Mar 2004 22:14:47 -0800, R H Draney <dado...@earthlink.net>
>>wrote:
>>>Observation: the total number of pips on a pair of dice is 42...this is
> ^^^^
>>6+5+4+3+2+1=42?
>>
>>HIBT?
>
>Dunno. Is your failure to read his fault?

Yeah, well, so's your mother.

- Rick "Innumerate" Tyle

Paul Tomblin

Mar 28, 2004, 6:00:27 PM3/28/04
In a previous article, Rick Tyler <rht...@comcast.net> said:
>On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 21:02:15 +0000 (UTC), ptomblin...@xcski.com
>(Paul Tomblin) wrote:
>>In a previous article, Rick Tyler <rht...@comcast.net> said:
>> ^^^^
>>>6+5+4+3+2+1=42?
>>>
>>>HIBT?
>>
>>Dunno. Is your failure to read his fault?
>
>Yeah, well, so's your mother.

She very probably is.

-- Ferenc Mantfeld

R H Draney

Mar 28, 2004, 5:40:57 PM3/28/04
David Winsemius filted:

<stuff about fuzzy dice in fine literature, culminating in:>

>Michael Jackson lyrics were mentioned on one website.

And leave us not forget:

"I whistled for a cab and when it came near
the license plate said 'fresh' and it had dice in the mirror,
if anything I could say this cab was rare
but I thought now forget it, yo home to Bel-Air
I pulled up to a house about seven or eight
and I yelled to the cabby 'yo home, smell ya later,'
I looked at my kingdom, I was finally there
to sit on my throne as the prince of Bel-Air"

R H "was Carlton the kid from the Mean Joe Greene Coke commercial?" Draney

Crashj

Mar 28, 2004, 7:27:29 PM3/28/04
Mary Shafer <mil...@qnet.com> wrote in message news:<t1gc60dim8qmcc29q...@4ax.com>...

> On 27 Mar 2004 16:38:13 -0800, cra...@mindspring.com (Crashj) wrote:
>
> > "Karen J. Cravens" <silve...@phoenyx.net> wrote in message news:<Xns94B97BFA...@130.133.1.4>...
> > <>
> > > I'm curious about what people think fuzzy dice mean.
> > > Or rather, if/why they think fuzzy dice *might* mean something.
> >
> > An old guy in an old hotrod. In my case it is a 1973, 455 cubic inch
> > engine, four barrel, dual exhaust, hot rod with plumbing and fuzzy
> > white dice. Also front wheel drive and six wheels, 26 feet long.
>
> Tuck and roll? Dingleberries? Dago rake?

Negative on the new upholstry, but a good idea for the windows. We may
have to look into it.
Rake is provided by turning the air bags to the full upright position,
and it can kneel to almost touch the pavement in back with them down.
Being old isn't all its cracked up to be, but neither is being dead.
--
Crashj

TeaLady (Mari C.)

Mar 28, 2004, 7:35:11 PM3/28/04
R H Draney <dado...@earthlink.net> wrote in

Well, that's obvious - some diety, or perhaps an abesent minded
lesser being, left the things in the back of the fridge too
long. Long enough, in fact, that they weren't any good for
meatloaf filler, and long enough to suck any life that might
have tried to creep in right back out of 'em.

--
Tea"a fiver year old's five year old fungus collection"Lady /
mari conroy

"The adjectivisation of our nounal units will be greeted with
disconcertion by elders" Simon on the status of English as she
is spake.

"Stated to me for a fact. I only tell it as I got it. I am
willing to believe it. I can believe anything." Sam Clemens

Crashj

Mar 28, 2004, 7:56:19 PM3/28/04
jo...@panix.com (John Francis) wrote in message news:<c45pnd$o6j$1...@panix5.panix.com>...

> In article <aa83a82f.0403...@posting.google.com>,
> Crashj <cra...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> >"Karen J. Cravens" <silve...@phoenyx.net> wrote in message news:<Xns94B97BFA...@130.133.1.4>...
> ><>
> >> I'm curious about what people think fuzzy dice mean.
> >> Or rather, if/why they think fuzzy dice *might* mean something.
> >
> >An old guy in an old hotrod. In my case it is a 1973, 455 cubic inch
> >engine, four barrel, dual exhaust, hot rod with plumbing and fuzzy
> >white dice. Also front wheel drive and six wheels, 26 feet long.
>
> Lady Penelope? Is that you?

?? Thunderbirds, SciFi Channel, but nothing about GMC ??
--
Crashj

David Winsemius

Mar 28, 2004, 9:06:07 PM3/28/04
Rick Tyler wrote in news:8kee6019h0dcv8sbm...@4ax.com:

> On 27 Mar 2004 22:14:47 -0800, R H Draney <dado...@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Karen J. Cravens filted:
>>>
>>>Actually performing the search myself doesn't turn up anything
>>>particularly enlightening, but that's okay, I'm not really curious
>>>about what fuzzy dice mean, I'm curious about what people think fuzzy
>>>dice mean. Or rather, if/why they think fuzzy dice *might* mean
>>>something.
>>
>>Observation: the total number of pips on a pair of dice is 42...this
>>is also the constant sum of the smallest (3x3x3) magic cube...and the
>>largest number with the property that it and all smaller positive
>>integers are mentioned somewhere in the Bible....
>
> 6+5+4+3+2+1=42?
>
> HIBT?

No, you just didn't read twice before posting. He said "pair of dice".

--
David "" Winsemius

Mary Shafer

Mar 28, 2004, 9:31:33 PM3/28/04
On 28 Mar 2004 16:27:29 -0800, cra...@mindspring.com (Crashj) wrote:

> Mary Shafer <mil...@qnet.com> wrote in message news:<t1gc60dim8qmcc29q...@4ax.com>...
> > On 27 Mar 2004 16:38:13 -0800, cra...@mindspring.com (Crashj) wrote:
> >
> > > An old guy in an old hotrod. In my case it is a 1973, 455 cubic inch
> > > engine, four barrel, dual exhaust, hot rod with plumbing and fuzzy
> > > white dice. Also front wheel drive and six wheels, 26 feet long.
> >
> > Tuck and roll? Dingleberries? Dago rake?
>
> Negative on the new upholstry, but a good idea for the windows. We may
> have to look into it.

Is the best place to get tuck and roll still on the Mexican side of
the border?

You need one of those metal plates in the rear window, with the name
of your car club.

> Being old isn't all its cracked up to be, but neither is being dead.

Growing old isn't for sissies.

Mary

mil...@qnet.com

Bob Ward

Mar 28, 2004, 10:06:28 PM3/28/04
On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 18:31:33 -0800, Mary Shafer <mil...@qnet.com>
wrote:

>On 28 Mar 2004 16:27:29 -0800, cra...@mindspring.com (Crashj) wrote:
>
>> Mary Shafer <mil...@qnet.com> wrote in message news:<t1gc60dim8qmcc29q...@4ax.com>...

>> > Tuck and roll? Dingleberries? Dago rake?
>>
>> Negative on the new upholstry, but a good idea for the windows. We may
>> have to look into it.
>
>Is the best place to get tuck and roll still on the Mexican side of
>the border?

Perhaps not the best, but arguably the cheapest.

Did Anyone else catch "American Hot Rod" on Discovery, covering Boyd
Coddington's "Alumatub"? Pretty good looking all aluminum hotrod
thetre - natural metal finish.

Thomas Prufer

Mar 29, 2004, 1:19:53 AM3/29/04
On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 20:44:39 GMT, David Winsemius
<dwin$emiu$@fnord.comcast.net> wrote:

>But "channeled"? 'Zat the same as "bored and stroked"?

You'll find the "phrases for masturbation" thread over there, under the
Subject "Dust mites legend".

Thomas Prufer

rzed

Mar 29, 2004, 5:16:56 AM3/29/04
"TeaLady (Mari C.)" <spres...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> R H Draney <dado...@earthlink.net> wrote in
>
>> Karen J. Cravens filted:
>>>
>>>Actually performing the search myself doesn't turn up
>>>anything particularly enlightening, but that's okay, I'm not
>>>really curious about what fuzzy dice mean, I'm curious about
>>>what people think fuzzy dice mean. Or rather, if/why they
>>>think fuzzy dice *might* mean something.
>>
>> Observation: the total number of pips on a pair of dice is
>> 42...this is also the constant sum of the smallest (3x3x3)
>> magic cube...and the largest number with the property that
>> it and all smaller positive integers are mentioned somewhere
>> in the Bible....
>>
>> R H "the fuzzy part I'm still working on" Draney
>>

> Well, that's obvious - some diety, or perhaps an abesent minded
> lesser being, left the things in the back of the fridge too
> long. Long enough, in fact, that they weren't any good for
> meatloaf filler, and long enough to suck any life that might
> have tried to creep in right back out of 'em.

I love "diety" -- it works on so many levels here.

--
rzed

Crashj

Mar 29, 2004, 7:52:55 AM3/29/04
"L0nD0t.$t0we11" <"L0nD0t.$t0we11"@ComcastDot.Net> wrote in message news:<A6D9c.24750$K91.68729@attbi_s02>...

> Roughly 3/28/04 01:03, Keith Willis's monkeys randomly typed:
>

> > I was trying to figure out what on earth "fuzzy dice" might be, and
> > which area of probability theory might use them, but now I see it's
> > just a WIAVBP thing. "Fluffy dice" they always were on the right side
> > of the pond. Normally to be found hanging from the rear view mirrors
> > of Ford Cortinas and later Capris. In Essex.
>
> Or much earlier, on the mirror of a chopped and channelled '49 Merc.

Lowered and Shackled.

--
Crashj

Olivers

Mar 29, 2004, 8:37:33 AM3/29/04
Bob Ward muttered....

The '49 and '50 Mercury "todoes" lent themselves to channeling and chopping
the top to a point that the side windows are all of 9 inches are so.
removing the door handles and all other chrome, the resulting machines in
midnight or even a deep lustrous purple (and the auto paints of the 50s
were miserable compared to today's) were "Bubblicious", the same sort of
bulb like aerodynamics as displayed in the new Beetle and some of the
furrin concept cars.

TM "Raised to the sound of Ford Flatheads in the night" Oliver

Olivers

Mar 29, 2004, 8:42:45 AM3/29/04
Mary Shafer muttered....

> On 28 Mar 2004 16:27:29 -0800, cra...@mindspring.com (Crashj) wrote:
>
>> Mary Shafer <mil...@qnet.com> wrote in message

>> > Tuck and roll? Dingleberries? Dago rake?
>>
>> Negative on the new upholstry, but a good idea for the windows. We
>> may have to look into it.
>
> Is the best place to get tuck and roll still on the Mexican side of
> the border?

They all be living in SOCAL now.

There are a couple of shops in Nuevo Laredo.

> You need one of those metal plates in the rear window, with the name
> of your car club.

Unless your car had been lowered too low, ours hung from the real bumper on
a couple of links of chain, just low enough that they would drag the
pavement when the rear wheels "dug in" after popping the clutch with the
RPM's up.

>> Being old isn't all its cracked up to be, but neither is being dead.
>
> Growing old isn't for sissies.

It's forgetting what you wanted to remember, while recalling all the
foregettables.

> Mary

TM "Setting out to depart this life bearing my shiled or borne upon it, I
forgot it." Oliver

Lee Ayrton

Mar 29, 2004, 9:14:20 AM3/29/04
On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Olivers wrote:

> TM "Raised to the sound of Ford Flatheads in the night" Oliver

I wuz told that we wouldn't be making up old Springsteen lyrics on this
BBS.

james

Mar 29, 2004, 10:19:57 AM3/29/04
In article <EGm9c.942$ti6...@news01.roc.ny>,
Bill Schnakenberg <will...@hvc.rr.com> wrote:

>I eschewed the fuzzy dice, or anything else hanging from the mirror,
>since it was against the Vehicle and traffic law in my state.
>I wonder what the little blue insert in the taillights meant.

It's another case of pushing the limit of what's legal to modify.
Same reason low riders have adjustable height.

james

Mar 29, 2004, 10:21:23 AM3/29/04
In article <9e2f609lmm5upfrie...@4ax.com>,
Mary Shafer <mil...@qnet.com> wrote:

>Is the best place to get tuck and roll still on the Mexican side of
>the border?

Oak Cliff, Texas.

John Schmitt

Mar 29, 2004, 10:21:41 AM3/29/04
On 27 Mar 2004 18:11:14 GMT, "Karen J. Cravens" <silve...@phoenyx.net> wrote:

> Actually performing the search myself doesn't turn up anything
> particularly enlightening, but that's okay, I'm not really curious about
> what fuzzy dice mean, I'm curious about what people think fuzzy dice mean.
> Or rather, if/why they think fuzzy dice *might* mean something.

In all its awfulness:

http://www.tackyliving.com/crafts/fuzzyDice.html

John "for when AFU becomes too exciting" Schmitt

Rick Tyler

Mar 29, 2004, 10:38:13 AM3/29/04
On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 02:06:07 GMT, David Winsemius
<dwin$emiu$@fnord.comcast.net> wrote:

>Rick Tyler wrote in news:8kee6019h0dcv8sbm...@4ax.com:
>
>> On 27 Mar 2004 22:14:47 -0800, R H Draney <dado...@earthlink.net>
>> wrote:
>>>Observation: the total number of pips on a pair of dice is 42...
>>

>> 6+5+4+3+2+1=42?

>No, you just didn't read twice before posting. He said "pair of dice".

Dude, you snipped the part where RH posited feeding the dice through a
half-wave bridge, which allows only the positive pips to go through.

- Rick "Duh" Tyler

--
"Lacking intelligent discussion, I suppose one could
always resort to bigotry." Daniel L. Snyder

Bill Schnakenberg

Mar 29, 2004, 10:45:01 AM3/29/04
Olivers wrote:

A picture is worth a K words.
http://carnut.com/cgi-bin/_image.pl?/show/00/kkoa/kkoa211.jpg

--
Bill

David Winsemius

Mar 29, 2004, 9:06:57 PM3/29/04
Rick Tyler wrote in news:0kgg601srh5a8kjui...@4ax.com:

> On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 02:06:07 GMT, David Winsemius
> <dwin$emiu$@fnord.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Rick Tyler wrote in news:8kee6019h0dcv8sbm...@4ax.com:

>>> 6+5+4+3+2+1=42?
>>
>>No, you just didn't read twice before posting. He said "pair of dice".
>
> Dude, you snipped the part where RH posited feeding the dice through a
> half-wave bridge, which allows only the positive pips to go through.
>
> - Rick "Duh" Tyler

There was an Afusian named Rick,
Who cross-threaded his posts as a trick.
He twisted the meme,
Achieving his scheme,
To fool the crowd and get away quick.

Rick Tyler

Mar 30, 2004, 12:04:22 AM3/30/04
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 02:06:57 GMT, David Winsemius
<dwin$emiu$@fnord.comcast.net> wrote:

>Rick Tyler wrote in news:0kgg601srh5a8kjui...@4ax.com:

>> Dude, you snipped the part where RH posited feeding the dice through a
>> half-wave bridge, which allows only the positive pips to go through.

>There was an Afusian named Rick,

>Who cross-threaded his posts as a trick.
>He twisted the meme,
>Achieving his scheme,
>To fool the crowd and get away quick.

Mobius poem,
Being a man not a meme,
Tyler endureth.

- Rick "One limerick doe snot a poetry corner make" Tyler

Lee Ayrton

Mar 30, 2004, 12:43:05 PM3/30/04
On Sat, 27 Mar 2004, Bill Schnakenberg wrote:

> >There's that, of course, but I would imagine the searchers would be
> >looking for something that the *buyers* of the fuzzy dice are trying to
> >convey.
> >
> That they were 'cool'?

> I eschewed the fuzzy dice, or anything else hanging from the mirror,
> since it was against the Vehicle and traffic law in my state.
> I wonder what the little blue insert in the taillights meant.

cf "Elaborate hankie code"?

Lee "Soft top, high-volume pump, not into drag -- Jeep" Ayrton

Anthony McCafferty

Mar 30, 2004, 3:17:08 PM3/30/04
In article <1wX9c.1106$VU4...@news02.roc.ny>, Bill Schnakenberg
<will...@hvc.rr.com> writes:

My dog gets into exactly that stance when her bladder demands attention.

Anthony "Few good looking cars between '37 and '57, you ask me" McCafferty

Crashj

Mar 30, 2004, 9:42:21 PM3/30/04
Bob Ward <bob...@email.com> wrote in message news:<pi4f60l2u7m62ifim...@4ax.com>...

<>
> Did Anyone else catch "American Hot Rod" on Discovery, covering Boyd
> Coddington's "Alumatub"? Pretty good looking all aluminum hotrod
> thetre - natural metal finish.

Got only bits and pieces of that show. Got the impression he is a
planner and director, not a builder?
My Lotus Super 7 had polished bodywork to go withyellow fiberglass
fenders and nose. First time I showed up at SCCA tech inspection they
tried to flunk me as "unpainted." HA! I pointed out the reg said
bodywork must be "finished." Let me tell you, we spent hours polishing
that aluminum.
--
Crashj

David DeLaney

Mar 30, 2004, 8:04:15 PM3/30/04
Rick Tyler <rht...@comcast.net> wrote:
>Mobius poem,
>Being a man not a meme,
>Tyler endureth.

Tch. Won't someone think of the CHILDRUN?

>- Rick "One limerick doe snot a poetry corner make" Tyler

Dave "can meme people with the best of them" DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

Bob Ward

Mar 31, 2004, 12:21:40 AM3/31/04

Nope - Boyd Coddington is definitely a builder, but he's probably the
equivalent to Thomas Kinkade in his field. There are a lot more
"Built by Boyd Coddington" cars out than one man could reasonably
account for.

See http://www.boydsshop.com/ for a few examples.

JG

Mar 31, 2004, 11:04:38 AM3/31/04
David Winsemius <dwin$emiu$@fnord.comcast.net> wrote in message news:<Xns94B9D69CBE1...@204.127.199.17>...

Hmm, vely intelesting, but I like 153, (1)^3 + (5)^3 + (3)^3.

Jer "go fish" ry

Anton Sherwood

Apr 3, 2004, 9:25:24 PM4/3/04
Karen J. Cravens wrote:
> Actually, it's the probability thing that made them find
> the Phoenyx site; if they'd Googled for "'fuzzy dice'"
> instead of "fuzzy dice" they wouldn't have found us.

Though it shouldn't be hard to come up with uses for fuzzy-valued
virtual dice.

--
Anton Sherwood (prepend "1" to address)
http://www.ogre.nu/

Anton Sherwood

Apr 3, 2004, 9:32:04 PM4/3/04
Bill Schnakenberg wrote:
> I painted the round taillights of my 56 Ford convertible with black
> paint so that the only part that was clear red was an Ace of Spades.

Deuce, surely, or did you drive a reverse-pediddle?

Red spades, hm, reminds me: I've had an eye out for years for decks
of cards with extra suits, or with normal suits in abnormal colors.

Karen J. Cravens

Apr 3, 2004, 10:02:46 PM4/3/04
begin Anton Sherwood <ne...@ogre.nu> quotation from

> a reverse-pediddle?

YM "padunkle."

Hank Oredson

Apr 3, 2004, 11:13:21 PM4/3/04
"Anton Sherwood" <ne...@ogre.nu> wrote in message

> Bill Schnakenberg wrote:
> > I painted the round taillights of my 56 Ford convertible with black
> > paint so that the only part that was clear red was an Ace of Spades.
>
> Deuce, surely, or did you drive a reverse-pediddle?
>
> Red spades, hm, reminds me: I've had an eye out for years for decks
> of cards with extra suits, or with normal suits in abnormal colors.

Just an FYI, I have lurking around here somewhere, a standard
bridge deck with ... lesee can I remember it right ... clubs in green
and diamonds in orange. Hearts and spades in the normal colors.
Plastic not paper. Two decks. Backs some kind of "typical 1950s
sorta jazzy like" design, white background. Dates from the 1960 - 68
time frame, when we played a lot of bridge / hearts / et al.

--

... Hank

http://horedson.home.att.net
http://w0rli.home.att.net

Hank Oredson

Apr 3, 2004, 11:14:13 PM4/3/04
"Karen J. Cravens" <silve...@phoenyx.net> wrote in message

What's the drill on a reverse-pediddle?
Free kiss if you see the normal variety ...

Anton Sherwood

Apr 4, 2004, 12:39:18 AM4/4/04
> "Fuzzy dice first appeared during the late 1940s and early 1950s, with the

Now how could something *first* appear in (say) 1948 *and* 1952?

Bob Ward

Apr 4, 2004, 1:40:07 AM4/4/04
On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 21:39:18 -0800, Anton Sherwood <ne...@ogre.nu>
wrote:

>> "Fuzzy dice first appeared during the late 1940s and early 1950s, with the
>
>Now how could something *first* appear in (say) 1948 *and* 1952?

Californians were early adopters. Kansas and Nebraska got into the
game much later

R H Draney

Apr 4, 2004, 1:33:39 AM4/4/04
Anton Sherwood filted:

>Karen J. Cravens wrote:
> > Actually, it's the probability thing that made them find
> > the Phoenyx site; if they'd Googled for "'fuzzy dice'"
> > instead of "fuzzy dice" they wouldn't have found us.
>
>Though it shouldn't be hard to come up with uses for fuzzy-valued
>virtual dice.

The shooter's point is 8.41336...bets down!...r

L0nD0t.$t0we11

Apr 4, 2004, 1:54:01 PM4/4/04