Who do you know that is famous?

Murray Chapman

Oct 26, 1991, 3:35:52 AM10/26/91
Hi there

Thought of this while following the FOAFOAFOAFOAF thread:

Is there anyone out there who has met/bumped into/is personal friends
with someone who is considered "famous"???

Doesn't matter HOW famous.... just someone that people might recognize!

+^o^+^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-+-o-+
| | Murray Chapman muz...@cs.uq.oz.au | |
| o | | o |
| | University of Queensland "I'd rather have a bottle in front | |
| o | St Lucia, Queenland of me than a frontal lobotomy" | o |
| | AUSTRALIA - Murray Chapman | |
| o | | o |
+^-^+^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-------------+---+
\__ | o |
Hate that! -----> +^-^-^-^-^-^-^-

Larry M Headlund

Oct 26, 1991, 2:16:41 PM10/26/91
In article <47...@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au> muz...@cs.uq.oz.au writes:
>Hi there
>
>Thought of this while following the FOAFOAFOAFOAF thread:
>
>Is there anyone out there who has met/bumped into/is personal friends
>with someone who is considered "famous"???
>
>Doesn't matter HOW famous.... just someone that people might recognize!

A random list:
Timothy Leary
Chuck Berry
Don King
Mike Dukakis
Ronald Reagan (chased him down the street once)
Karen Austin (actress: Night Court, Jagged Edge, Summer Rental)
Soupy Sales
Rod Stewart and the Small Faces
Donahue
Stallman
Liv Ullman
Sophia Loren
Donald Trump

--
Larry Headlund l...@world.std.com Eikonal Systems (617) 482-3345

Graham Toal

Oct 26, 1991, 1:29:26 PM10/26/91
In article <1991Oct26.143511*ci...@solan.unit.no> ci...@solan.unit.no (Cindy Kandolf) writes:
>I have also spoken to: the Mayor of London, Valentina Tereshkova (first woman

I spoke to HRH Princess Margaret once at a formal dinner; and I was sitting
beside the governor of the Bank of England -- it's a fair bet that at least
one of those two has spoken to the Lord Mayor. (Oh yes - I shook hands with
the Lord Lieutenant at that dinner too). I guess that makes it a fairly
high probability that I'm A FOAFOAF of Cindy. I don't remember telling any of
the above any good UL's that they might have passed on to her though :-)

Cindy Kandolf

Oct 26, 1991, 9:35:11 AM10/26/91
I once quite literally bumped into Henry Kissinger. He spilled his wine
(white) all over his shoes. Would have been even funnier, of course, if
it was red wine on his shirt, then he'd always have something to remember
me by ;-)

I have also spoken to: the Mayor of London, Valentina Tereshkova (first woman

in space) and the head of the Russian Orthodox Church, i forget his title.

Sometimes it's good to be a tour guide ;-) (Except that was in
Pittsburgh - where else?)

-Cindy Kandolf
ci...@solan.unit.no
Trondheim, Norway

Toby Koosman

Oct 26, 1991, 3:17:00 PM10/26/91
In article <47...@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au>, muz...@cs.uq.oz.au writes...

>Is there anyone out there who has met/bumped into/is personal friends
>with someone who is considered "famous"???

Please, this is just name-dropping. Let's talk about folklore.
Has A.W.'s promise of 15 minutes of fame achieved UL status? I've
met people who believe it, as well as people who don't know who
said it.

Toby Koosman
University of Tennessee Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
Internet: KOO...@UTKVX1.UTCC.UTK.EDU Bitnet: KOOSMAN@UTKVX

Crunchy Frog

Oct 26, 1991, 4:35:40 PM10/26/91
>Hi there
>
>Thought of this while following the FOAFOAFOAFOAF thread:
>
>Is there anyone out there who has met/bumped into/is personal friends
>with someone who is considered "famous"???
>
>Doesn't matter HOW famous.... just someone that people might recognize!

I am friends with Rudy Rucker's (the cyberpunk writer, mathematician) son.

My sisters roommate is always heading off to the hip clubs in LA. One time
(or so she says) Eddie, and his friend Arsenio tried to pick her up. They
also made occasional calls to her apartment.

(Hey, I just report 'em)

I make regular phone calls to God. Just to chat about baseball scores, give
advice, help out on his homework, that sort of thing.

The opinions above are not mine. I stole them all from the person sitting next
to me. If you don't like them, I can get you his address and you can kill him.
Alan "Long live the Goon Show" Morgan | "You rotton swine, you!" - Bluebottle
"Watch out! This gun is loaded and so am I." - Major Denis Bloodnok

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-Yakaboo! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-Yakaboo!

Don Nichols (DoN.)

Oct 27, 1991, 12:17:27 AM10/27/91
>Hi there
>
>Thought of this while following the FOAFOAFOAFOAF thread:
>
>Is there anyone out there who has met/bumped into/is personal friends
>with someone who is considered "famous"???
>
>Doesn't matter HOW famous.... just someone that people might recognize!

Yep, met, but he's dead now, so it doesn't count. The rest are
traditional singers, so most of you haven't heard of them, and they don't
count. :-)
--
Donald Nichols (DoN.) | Voice (Days): (703) 664-1585 (Eves): (703) 938-4564
D&D Data | Email: <dnic...@ceilidh.beartrack.com>

Diana G.

Oct 27, 1991, 2:18:45 PM10/27/91
]
] Is there anyone out there who has met/bumped into/is personal friends

] with someone who is considered "famous"???

I'm assuming you're meaning met in some situation where you were
not deliberately setting out to meet them?

If so - back when the Raiders football team was in Oakland, their
star quarterback (sorry - I'm not a football fan, so the name
escapes me) lived over in the Menlo Park/Atherton area - and one
day when I was in the local ice-cream parlor near SLAC, he and his
wife were in getting ice-cream. Made no impression on me - but the
two girls behind the counter were HOPEless for several minutes!

Prior to that - just after I got out of high-school, I applied for
a job working for the woman who owned the Raiders (this was about
20 years ago...).

If you're talking about people I've set out to meet, I have
autographs from Janis Joplin, Stevie Ray Vaughan, PigPen, and several
other music-legends. I also spent one evening talking COMPUTERS, of
all things, with Arlo Guthrie.

Diana

S. Mudgett aka little gator

Oct 27, 1991, 4:55:08 AM10/27/91
i write:
stuff deleted
i forgot to include that i bumped into, and spke with, two of the flying
karamazov brothers. shame on me for not including them in the previous list.
--
-- little gator aka S. Mudgett email: s...@harvee.uucp
-- friend of a gator is a friend of mine

S. Mudgett aka little gator

Oct 28, 1991, 2:25:38 AM10/28/91
thats reminds me, you can also add paul tsongas to my list. and a pal of mine
(who lived in la at the time) was standing in line behind john travolta in
a drugstore. she didnt realize till he left, and has forever regretted she
didn't ask him to autograph the contraceptives she was buying.

Dan Hartung

Oct 27, 1991, 10:02:05 PM10/27/91
>Is there anyone out there who has met/bumped into/is personal friends
>with someone who is considered "famous"???

While living in New York City, I had many opportunities.

1) Shopped in a Banana Republic (Bway & 79th?) with Bill Murray. He entered,
within moments was being personally catered to while he walked around
in a stupor as if he had a hangover. At one point he picked up a
ladies' "flight suit" jumpsuit, and when told he wouldn't be interested,
it's for women, made an extremely lame comment that he seemed to think
was a gem. (I guess all those great ad-libs for Tootsie were carefully
culled.... ;-)

2) While working at an ad agency at 2nd & 47th, I walked past a gentleman
whom I belatedly realized could have been none other than Isaac Asimov.
If I remember, his publisher (Simon & Schuster?) is in the area.

3) While working for self-same ad agency, who then handled Cover Girl,
I was helping straighten out a storage closet. Mostly samples of
lipstick colors and the like, but there were some clothes. I asked
my boss, she said they were used on a shoot the year before with
"Christie". "Ahh..." said I. "Just a moment..." where upon I
buried my head in the blouse and came out with a beatific smile.
"Now I can always say I did that...."

--
MOST DISTURBING FOLLOW-UP NEWS STORY: | Dan Hartung
"K-9 units are being used to search | dhar...@chinet.chi.il.us

Mike Dedek

Oct 28, 1991, 10:46:07 AM10/28/91
In article <47...@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au>, muz...@cs.uq.oz.au (Murray Chapman) writes:
|> Hi there
|>
|> Thought of this while following the FOAFOAFOAFOAF thread:
|>
|> Is there anyone out there who has met/bumped into/is personal friends
|> with someone who is considered "famous"???
|>
|> Doesn't matter HOW famous.... just someone that people might recognize!

|> | | Murray Chapman muz...@cs.uq.oz.au | |

|> | | University of Queensland "I'd rather have a bottle in front | |
|> | o | St Lucia, Queenland of me than a frontal lobotomy" | o |
|> | | AUSTRALIA - Murray Chapman | |

While on my honeymoon in Hawaii last month, Willard Scott was on the plane with
us (he was in first class, however). He waved at us later that week when
he was visiting friends in the hotel room down the hall from us.

For those of you who don't know, Willard is a large weatherman on one of the
morning news shows here in the States. He is known for wishing people of
very advanced age happy birthday on the air.

-Mike Dedek

Jennie T.

Oct 28, 1991, 11:07:52 AM10/28/91
Oh yeah...Bill Bergey's (Eagles & All American [repeatedly] football player)
kid was in my AT class in grade school, so Bill used to bring in his bloopers
tapes from time to time and talk to us.
_Star_Wars_ quiz of the week: --Jennie
3. What is the name of Princess Leia's foster father?
4. When being questioned on the Death Star, Princess Leia "revealed"
the location of the rebel base (she was lying). Name the planet.

Jennie T.

Oct 28, 1991, 10:59:46 AM10/28/91
My mom went to college with Ralph Waite (John Walton) at Bucknell; my dad went
to college with William Christopher (Father MulCahey) at Wesleyan. Sorry, best
I can do for now.

I hear that it used to be really easy to meet Charles Schultz. He used to
skate at this one ice rink in CA and talk to the kids. Anybody do this?

Matt Hucke

Oct 28, 1991, 2:21:55 PM10/28/91
In article <91301.110...@psuvm.psu.edu> Jennie T. <JXT...@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:

Hmmmm.... I'm not really sure of these, but:

> 3. What is the name of Princess Leia's foster father?

Senator Bail Organa.

> 4. When being questioned on the Death Star, Princess Leia "revealed"
> the location of the rebel base (she was lying). Name the planet.

Dantooine (?)

--
Real Programmers Don't Eat Quiche.
hu...@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

The Honorable Rev. Rubin

Oct 28, 1991, 10:43:09 PM10/28/91

When I was about 7 or 8 years old, I met Wilt Chamberlain at a UCLA
track meet. (He was in the stands.) He shook my hand, and I remember being
fairly impressed with his size, at least compared to mine at the time.
He seemed nice enough.

Just answering the question,

--
_______________Don't push me, 'cause I'm close to the edge_____________________
___________________________________________________-Grandmaster Flash_________

Dean C. Gahlon

Oct 28, 1991, 6:07:28 PM10/28/91
In article <47...@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au| muz...@cs.uq.oz.au writes:
|Hi there
|
|Thought of this while following the FOAFOAFOAFOAF thread:
|
|Is there anyone out there who has met/bumped into/is personal friends
|with someone who is considered "famous"???
|
|Doesn't matter HOW famous.... just someone that people might recognize!

Well, aside from Jon Singer, not really.

Dean C. Gahlon
de...@ns.network.com

The Barren One

Oct 29, 1991, 9:27:25 AM10/29/91
In article <47...@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au>, muz...@cs.uq.oz.au (Murray Chapman) writes:

>Is there anyone out there who has met/bumped into/is personal friends
>with someone who is considered "famous"???
>
>Doesn't matter HOW famous.... just someone that people might recognize!

I am acquainted with Ellis Marsalis (Jazz Pianist from New Orleans) and
Harold Battiste (Saxophonist et al from same) having sold them both
Macintosh computers here at the University.

ed

|ed murphy|consultant|university of new orleans|computer research center|
| internet: me...@uno.edu | bitnet: me...@uno.bitnet |
| "My views aren't particularly anybody's" |
|_______________________________________________________________________|

Dan Hartung

Oct 29, 1991, 3:50:20 AM10/29/91
JXT...@psuvm.psu.edu (Jennie T.) writes:
>_Star_Wars_ quiz of the week: --Jennie
> 3. What is the name of Princess Leia's foster father?
> 4. When being questioned on the Death Star, Princess Leia "revealed"
> the location of the rebel base (she was lying). Name the planet.

Dunno about 3, but 4 is "Dantooine". I always thought that was a
strange thing to come up with at that point. Wouldn't it seem
an obvious "found name"?

Dan "Tooine" Hartung

Jeffrey Davis

Oct 29, 1991, 9:49:40 AM10/29/91
In article <96...@cs.tulane.edu> me...@uno.edu writes:
>In article <47...@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au>, muz...@cs.uq.oz.au (Murray Chapman) writes:
>>
>>Is there anyone out there who has met/bumped into/is personal friends
>>with someone who is considered "famous"???
>>
>>Doesn't matter HOW famous.... just someone that people might recognize!

I exchanged a few pleasantries at an airport with private citizen Nelson
Rockefeller; fixed dinner and spent an enjoyable evening with Junebug
Jabbo Jones; horsed around listening to Charley Martin Smith play "How
Can I Miss You If You Won't Go Away"; and extracted a few drolleries
from the genuinely funny Roy Blount Jr. by telling him that he didn't
write his books as fast as I read them. I have spent hour after hour
in a classroom headed by Guy Davenport, whose office sat catty corner
to mine (his: professorial, mine: TA), who is not "famous" now,
but whose books show signs of outlasting a few of our lighter lights.
I waited on John Hartford, the eccentric banjo man, who wanted
warm lemonade and honey for his throat and who tried to appear
anonymous by squishing down his 6'+ frame into his chair. I have
been told that a classmate of mine (5th grade, St. Christopher's,
Rocky River, Ohio) Danny Warner later went on to fame and glory
as a football hero in West Virginia and a couple of years backing
up the regining QB deity in Dallas. I myself gained notoriety
in the 6th grade when the local paper printed a letter I
angrily sent Art Modell after he fired Paul Brown as coach of
the Cleveland Browns...sorry to have breached your confidentiality
Art.

I had lunch last week with Elvis, but I don't think he enjoyed the
food. He looked a little green to me.
--
Jeffrey Davis <da...@keats.ca.uky.edu>
There is nothing so important as the legs in determining the kangaroolity

Bruce Stein

Oct 29, 1991, 11:41:51 AM10/29/91
>In article <47...@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au| muz...@cs.uq.oz.au writes:
>|Hi there
>|
>|Thought of this while following the FOAFOAFOAFOAF thread:
>|
>|Is there anyone out there who has met/bumped into/is personal friends
>|with someone who is considered "famous"???
>|
>|Doesn't matter HOW famous.... just someone that people might recognize!

I didn't actually meet him but about two weeks before he was assassinated
Robert Kennedy had a pollitical ralley at Ball State University where I
was attending at the time. I managed to get in the front row on the floor.
After his speach the crowd surged forward and I was carried along and up
onto the platform. As the crowd moved Bobby was nudged by someone
(probably me) toward the edge of the platform, I grabbed his arm to keep
him from falling off the edge.

I also saw Tom Smothers on a flight from Denver to San Francisco. When I
first spotted him I thought it was he, but when he put on his jacket
(the flight was cold) and the logo on the back was "Another Smo Bro Yoyo"
I felt confident that is who it was. I wanted to speak with him but saw
no one else in coach was bothering him so I didn't either. A Smothers
Brothers Winery limo picked him up after HE collected his luggage.

Bruce

Terry Chan

Oct 29, 1991, 12:42:45 PM10/29/91

Famous people that I've met or known? Nobody too big. The late drummer
Art Blakey, the pianist Alan Broadbent, the vibist Milt Jackson, the
pianist McCoy Tyner and his bassist Avery Sharpe. Kind of a narrow
spectrum, I know. I frequently eat lunch in the same cafeteria as
Nobel prize winning chemist, Glenn Seaborg (yes, I know, Joe, you eat
there too).

But I bet I have the only person with a book on mathematical economics
autographed by Art Blakey.

Terry "Sheesh! What's next? Who has the most famous 4th cousin once
removed?" Chan
INTERNET: twc...@lbl.gov BITNET: twc...@lbl.bitnet
"Reality is a concept for people who can't handle alt.folklore.urban."

Jon Corelis

Oct 29, 1991, 3:20:40 PM10/29/91
muz...@cs.uq.oz.au (Murray Chapman) writes:

>Hi there

>Thought of this while following the FOAFOAFOAFOAF thread:

>Is there anyone out there who has met/bumped into/is personal friends
>with someone who is considered "famous"???

Steve Jobs was in front of me in the line at the grocery store last
Saturday.
--

Jon Corelis j...@lindy.stanford.edu
Stanford University BITNET: BA....@RLG.STANFORD.EDU

Larry Smith

Oct 29, 1991, 3:06:51 PM10/29/91

> Steve Jobs was in front of me in the line at the grocery store last
>Saturday.

I saw that - two guys assaulted him with cantelopes and forced him to go
to the NeXT checkout... ;)

Hee hee hee! God, I've been working too hard...

Larry Smith
sm...@ctron.com
The usual disclaimer stuff...
Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. -- Barry Goldwater

Michael A. Covington

Oct 30, 1991, 2:50:32 AM10/30/91
Never mind that I've met Jack Matlock (our recently retired ambassador
to Moscow, who watched Communism crumble) or Sam Nunn...

The most important person I've met is Anders Hejlsberg.

Who?

He's the author of Turbo Pascal and hence one of the most influential
computer programmers of all time.

Michael A. Covington, Ph.D. | mcov...@uga.cc.uga.edu | N4TMI
Assistant to the Director, Artificial Intelligence Programs
The University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia 30602, U.S.A.

Joni Johnson

Oct 29, 1991, 6:22:19 PM10/29/91
I went to college with Campbell Scott, and his brother Al. I didn't know him very
well, just went to the same parties.
I went to high school with Reggie Roby, for the football fans. He went out with
one of my friends.
Joni Johnson

j...@sserve.cc.adfa.oz.au
"A smile, two bangs, and a religion"

Luis Casillas

Oct 29, 1991, 5:06:13 PM10/29/91
Well, I have 3 friends that have been chess champions of Puerto Rico (one
is my trainer, one gave me classes, and the other is just my friend) No
one more.

--
Luis Casillas - via FidoNet node 1:367/9
UUCP: ...!uunet!oamicus!luisc

Laurence Doering

Oct 30, 1991, 2:33:25 AM10/30/91
In article <jon.68...@lindy.Stanford.EDU> j...@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Jon Corelis) writes:

> Steve Jobs was in front of me in the line at the grocery store last
>Saturday.

Ha. Steven Jobs shook hands with me and said "Pleased to meet you, Larry"
at an educational computer conference in Washington DC, three weeks after
the NeXT computer came out. I've also met Robert Adams, the Secretary
of the Smithsonian Institution; Don Lopez, the director of the Air and Space
Museum (and WWII ace fighter pilot); and Admiral Yost, former Commandant
of the United States Coast Guard. I also went out on a date once with
Jennifer Dingell, daughter of Representative John Dingell (D., Mich.).

I guess that means my chain of acquaintances includes H. Ross Perot, who
bankrolled the NeXT startup; Michael Collins (the Apollo 11 astronaut),
who was director of the Air and Space Museum before Don Lopez; Ronald
Reagan, who was President when Admiral Yost commanded the Coast Guard;
Tipper Gore, who is good friends with Rep. Dingell's wife; and most of
the House of Representatives.

Top that, you wankers. Followups to alt.i.met.famous.people.once.

Larry "brush with greatness" Doering

ralph.moonen

Oct 30, 1991, 7:34:50 AM10/30/91

Well, I bumped into Timothy Leary at a party here in the Netherlands, and
also I was at a discotheque in Hilversum, where the Wisseloord Sound Studios
are located. The Stones were just recording their new album there, and
Mick Jagger decided to check out the local disco. So we met there and
had a talk, drank a beer together, and thought nothing of it. At that time
in the discotheque he had been chatting up some girl. A week later,
I am invited to a party by a friend of mine. It was her cousins' party.
And guess what, the cousin was the girl Mick had been chatting up at the
disco. An hour later, Mick walks in. The girl had invited him to the party
also, and he came! So, Mick walks in, sees me, says: Hi Ralph.
You should have seen the looks on the other guests faces!!

Let's see, who else have I met.... Oh yeah, Oleg Popov, the famous Russian
clown, and also Don Johnson. That's about it....

--Ralph Moonen

Esther Lumsdon

Oct 30, 1991, 11:46:26 AM10/30/91
>In article <47...@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au> muz...@cs.uq.oz.au writes:
>]
>] Is there anyone out there who has met/bumped into/is personal friends
>] with someone who is considered "famous"???

1. At COMDEX one year, I shook hands with Adam Osbourne at the Paperback
Software booth. He is a very snazzy dresser, was very polite. I was
tounge-tied after I read his name badge. I didn't expect him to be working
the booth!

2. The wife of one of my co-workers works at a veterinary hospital. She has
bathed and groomed Millie, the dog who's been on more Life magazine covers than
George Bush.

--
------ Esther Lumsdon Product Support Engineer, Verdix Corporation
est...@verdix.com or esther%verdi...@uunet.uu.net

sash...@shark.cse.fau.edu

Oct 30, 1991, 2:40:29 PM10/30/91
de...@ns.network.com (Dean C. Gahlon) writes:

> In article <47...@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au| muz...@cs.uq.oz.au writes:
> |Hi there
> |
> |Thought of this while following the FOAFOAFOAFOAF thread:
> |
> |Is there anyone out there who has met/bumped into/is personal friends
> |with someone who is considered "famous"???
> |
> |Doesn't matter HOW famous.... just someone that people might recognize!

Once met Terence Mann (played Javert in Les Miserables when it opened on
Broadway, also portrayed Rum-Tum-Tugger in the Broadway Premiere of Cats),
also Yakov (sp?) Smirnoff ("What a country!").

- Sasha

Cyndi Cuppernell

Oct 31, 1991, 2:14:52 AM10/31/91
ldoe...@engin.umich.edu (Laurence Doering) writes:

>In article <jon.68...@lindy.Stanford.EDU>
j...@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Jon Corelis) writes:

>> Steve Jobs was in front of me in the line at the grocery store
last
>>Saturday.

>Ha. Steven Jobs shook hands with me and said "Pleased to meet
you, Larry"

>.......................[stuff deleted]

>Top that, you wankers. Followups to alt.i.met.famous.people.once.

>Larry "brush with greatness" Doering

Yeah, well, I went to college with someone who was a child actor
on one of the old Wonder Bread (grows bodies 12 ways) commercials.

Anybody else remember those commercials?

In the same class was the brother of James Young of the rock group
Styx.

Not that any of this has changed my life any.

Cyndi Cuppernell

JohnC

Oct 31, 1991, 2:20:22 PM10/31/91
In article <1991Oct31.0...@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> ccup...@s.psych.uiuc.edu (Cyndi Cuppernell) writes:
>In the same class was the brother of James Young of the rock group
>Styx.
>
>Not that any of this has changed my life any.

Well, gee. One of the construction companies we use for renovation work is
Young & Sons Construction. The "Young" in question is James Young's dad
(now mostly retired), and the sons are James Young's brothers. I talk with
one of the sons (the company president) fairly frequently. So there. :-)

--
John Cavallino | EMail: jc...@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago Hospitals | USMail: 5841 S. Maryland Ave, Box 145

TJ Wood WA3VQJ

Oct 31, 1991, 4:51:52 PM10/31/91
I got e-mail from Jan Harold Brunvand -- try to top *that* you guys.

[Anyone got a postcard FROM Craig Shergold? ;-)]

Terry
--

INTERNET: t...@pitt.edu BITNET: TJW@PITTVMS UUCP: uunet!unix.cis.pitt.edu!tjw

Laugh while you can, Monkey Boy!

Jill Lilly

Oct 31, 1991, 12:59:26 PM10/31/91
OK, I can't resist. I'll ad mine:

My husband's father (Ross Hagen) is an actor in LA and has done some movies (
( both his
own and others'): BORN, Angel I & II, The Glove, Action USA, and lots of
other "b" movies. We went to the "wrap" party for Angel and Ross had given
me his copy of the Angel script and I met the actress who played angel and
the director (Robert O'Neil) and other actors. They autographed the script
and I still have it.

One of Ross' friends is Nancy Kwan, who was the star in The World of Suzy
Wong and Flower Drum Song. We spent Christmas with her and my husband's
family at Lake Arrowhead one year.

I met Senator Mark Hatfield and have spoken to him several times, as he is a
patient and personal friend of the clinic where I work.s
--
"OF all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most"
Jill Lilly

Chuck Deason

Oct 31, 1991, 6:59:48 PM10/31/91
While I was stationed at NAS Barber's Point, Oahu, I saw George Kennedy taking
home movies of his family near Makapuu Point. Since it was obvious that he
was on vacation, I didn't bother him.

I have an autograph from John Conally, the then governor of Texas who was
wounded when Kennedy was killed.

I attended a class with Bert Jones, then quarterback of LSU, soon to be
quarterback of the Colts.
/-- / / | Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal|
/ /__ __ __ / _ , | with a big appetite at one end and no sense of|
/___/ /__(_/\_/ (_/|_(/_/)_ | responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan |
-A799- No Defect - U.S. Navy |_________________Saturday_Evening_Post__1965___|

Jim Kasprzak

Nov 1, 1991, 2:44:59 AM11/1/91

I've had dinner with Kibo.
__ Live from Capitaland, heart of the Empire State...
___/ | Jim Kasprzak, computer operator @ RPI, Troy, NY, USA
/____ *| Disclaimer: RPI pays me to work, not to think.
\_| "A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission" -Rush
==== e-mail: kas...@rpi.edu or kasp...@mts.rpi.edu

Joel Goldberg

Nov 1, 1991, 1:05:28 PM11/1/91
In article <3vv...@rpi.edu> kas...@operators.its.rpi.edu (Jim Kasprzak) writes:

> I've had dinner with Kibo.

On September 30 I had dinner with Bob Dylan.
--
col yisrael arevim zeh l'zeh, but just try getting a mortgage...
Joel Goldberg at Dept. of Chemistry, University of Toronto.

The Unknown User

Nov 1, 1991, 5:34:01 PM11/1/91

In article <198...@unix.cis.pitt.edu> t...@unix.cis.pitt.edu (TJ Wood WA3VQJ) writes:
>I got e-mail from Jan Harold Brunvand -- try to top *that* you guys.

I met, talked to, and got an autographed business card from Brunvand
when he talked at Cabrillo College (near the University I attend). I seem to
remember answering some question he had about UNIX/mail/rn or something, but
I don't recall that thoroughly enough.

So I think I topped yer story, huh?
--
/unk...@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! CHEAP CD info-mail me\
|WANT to help get INFOCOM GAMES RERELEASED & ULTIMA VI GS written? - mail me.|

Diana G.

Nov 2, 1991, 12:38:20 AM11/2/91
In article <198...@unix.cis.pitt.edu> t...@unix.cis.pitt.edu (TJ Wood WA3VQJ) writes:
] I got e-mail from Jan Harold Brunvand -- try to top *that* you guys.

Oh nuts! My brain really was NOT working!!! ARRGGHH!! (and major
apologies to Mr. Brunvand!) I have exchanged e-mail with him, and
met him when he talked at Stanford at the beginning of the year.

Bought two of his books that night - which he was kind enough to
autograph. Wonderful talk! Wish the local newspapers would
start carrying his column again...

Diana

lu...@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu

Nov 1, 1991, 2:11:31 PM11/1/91
ccup...@s.psych.uiuc.edu (Cyndi Cuppernell) says,

>Yeah, well, I went to college with someone who was a child actor
>on one of the old Wonder Bread (grows bodies 12 ways) commercials.

A *very* good friend of mine was on the cover of Better Homes and Gardens
sometime in 1963.

>Not that any of this has changed my life any.

>Cyndi Cuppernell

Are you saying that the Wonder bread people were lying, or that you never
ate any of their bread?

Dean Nelson lu...@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu

Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago

Nov 2, 1991, 7:08:08 AM11/2/91
>In article <198...@unix.cis.pitt.edu> t...@unix.cis.pitt.edu (TJ Wood WA3VQJ) writes:
>>I got e-mail from Jan Harold Brunvand -- try to top *that* you guys.

Can't. But I did get e-mail from Cliff Stoll! That's pretty darn good,
considering how busy and swamped the guy must be.

Vickie
kate...@chinet.chi.il.us

{-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-}
{ H To join the Happy Rhodes mailing list: H }
{ T ecto-r...@athos.rutgers.edu T }
{ R "We're waking up, yes it's good" R }
{-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-}

.

Priscilla Davidson

Nov 2, 1991, 3:12:00 PM11/2/91
White House correspondent Helen Thomas used my bathroom in 1977!

Well, maybe it was 1976. Anyway, she was speaking in Boston at Simmons College,
where I was a dormitory director, and she wanted to freshen up before she spoke.
My private bath was closest to the auditorium. I had a few hours' notice
to clean and put out guest towels. She shook my hand and left her coat,
handbag, and portable typewriter in my living room while she spoke.

# Priscilla Davidson p...@unislc.UUCP #
# Unisys Corporation, Open Systems Group #
# Salt Lake City, UT (801) 594-4978 #
# ***STANDARD DISCLAIMER AND ALL THAT GOOD STUFF*** #

Phil Gustafson

Nov 2, 1991, 8:04:39 PM11/2/91
I have an autographed copy of the Magna Carta, signed in my presence in
San Francisco in 197something.

So there.

Phil "I also shook hands with Barry Goldwater when I was young and stupid"
Gustafson

--
|play: ph...@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG; {ames|pyramid|vsi1}!zorch!phil |
|work: phil@gsi; sgi!gsi!phil | Phil Gustafson |

Jay Geertsen

Oct 31, 1991, 6:34:23 PM10/31/91
Hey, this is fun! Let's see now:

I got the autograph of...
-------------------------

Dave Brubeck (Jazz pianist)

Stan Kenton (Big band conductor/pianist)

Ed "Big Daddy" Roth (Custom car designer--designed the "Beatnik
Bandit" Hot Wheels car many eons ago)

I once shook hands with...
--------------------------

Dave Barduhn (Jazz band/choir composer/arranger)

I'm a distant relative of...
----------------------------

John Geertsen (Johnny Miller's golf coach)

At college, I knew...
---------------------

Rick Fehr (Golfer on the USPGA circuit)

At a concert, I once sat behind...
----------------------------------

Steve Young (49ers quarterback)

I once stood in a checkout line at an Albertson's store behind...

Donny Osmond (Entertainer)

- Jay Geertsen

Michael A. Covington

Nov 2, 1991, 11:15:41 PM11/2/91
I know X-ray technicians who have X-rayed Jimmy Carter
and Martin Luther King, Jr.

The latter has also X-rayed me.

(That close to greatness...)

Michael A. Covington

Nov 2, 1991, 11:40:26 PM11/2/91
OK, here's a few more.

I saw Kenny Rogers at church on Easter several years ago.

I've received _unsolicited_ email from Cliff Stoll.

I was briefly notorious on comp.eff.talk (or whatever its name is) because
of someone who apparently thought I run the University of Georgia's entire
computer security single-handedly. (And had very odd ideas about how I was
supposedly running it.)

Hmmm... as author of about 5 books and 100 magazine articles, maybe
I'm the famous one... :)

Steve Bougerolle

Nov 3, 1991, 3:52:13 PM11/3/91
In <1991Nov2.2...@unislc.uucp> p...@unislc.uucp (Priscilla Davidson) writes:

>White House correspondent Helen Thomas used my bathroom in 1977!

Hey, that sounds almost like the story Hunter S. Thompson tells of when he
was on the campaign trail in '72 and took a leak next to Tricky Dick himself.

(No pun intended)

The Secret Service scoured the toilet beforehand (NPI) to make sure there were
no dangerous subversives there. That Thompson stayed after they left doesn't
say much for the Secret Service, but it makes a good story...
--
_|\ |V| /|_ Steve Bougerolle, U. of British Columbia Physics Dept.
\ \| |/ / and the OPAL experiment, CERN, Geneva CH
>_______< STE...@CERNVAX.UUCP STE...@CERNVM.CERN.CH
! STE...@CERNVM.BITNET 45397::STEVEB (HEPnet)

Stephanie da Silva

Nov 3, 1991, 2:51:19 PM11/3/91
In article <4297...@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM>, j...@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM (Jay Geertsen) writes:

> I once shook hands with..

> ------------------------
> Dave Barduhn (Jazz band/choir composer/arranger)

I can top this.
I once shook hands with Richard Nixon.

(I can just hear everyone going, "woooooooo")....
--
Stephanie da Silva Taronga Park * Houston, Texas
ari...@taronga.com 568-0480 568-1032

Steve Bougerolle

Nov 3, 1991, 4:18:14 PM11/3/91

>I once stood in a checkout line at an Albertson's store behind...

> Donny Osmond (Entertainer)

Donny Osmond?!?!?!

Did you at least kick him while you had the chance?

A confirmed Osmond-hater

Adam Elman

Nov 3, 1991, 8:18:02 PM11/3/91
Well, I know virtually the entire membership of the ever-notorious,
truly incomparable Stanford Marching Band...

(I'm in the Band, so that helps. :-)

Well, we did make CNN last year, so I guess that makes us a little
famous, right? :-)

Adam Elman
elm...@leland.stanford.edu

TV's Steve

Nov 4, 1991, 2:38:47 AM11/4/91

Listen Up!
I rode in coach(on an aeroplane) behind Prince in 1983.
I was on a dock with Chuck Norriss(sp) two summers ago. I handed him a T-Shirt.
I danced with Oliver Stone's date at a local (New Orleans) club last summer
when they were in town filming "JFK" yasm.
and
In 1982, in exchange for explaining a minor plot point in the Cheech & Chong
opus "Up In Smoke" to Bo Diddley, the man bought me a beer.

--
Pour me a cab, I just can't drink no more. | St. Steve
--Tom Waits |
|bell...@cs.tulane.edu

Mark Eckenwiler

Nov 3, 1991, 11:17:40 PM11/3/91
In <hZa...@engin.umich.edu>, ldoe...@engin.umich.edu stated:

>Ha. Steven Jobs shook hands with me and said "Pleased to meet you, Larry"
>at an educational computer conference in Washington DC, three weeks after
>the NeXT computer came out. I've also met Robert Adams, the Secretary
>of the Smithsonian Institution; Don Lopez, the director of the Air and Space
>Museum (and WWII ace fighter pilot); and Admiral Yost, former Commandant
>of the United States Coast Guard. I also went out on a date once with
>Jennifer Dingell, daughter of Representative John Dingell (D., Mich.).

.[FOAFOAFOAFOAFOAF list deleted]

>Top that, you wankers.

That's *MR.* Wanker to you.

I've argued before Justice Brennan. I also had lunch with James R.
Jones (former House Majority Whip), now the President of the Amer.
Stock Exchange, back in 1974. Edward Cox (Tricky Dick's son-in-law;
you DO remember that swank Rose Garden bash, right) and I had a chat
in which he gloried in his brief Reaganoid tenure at the SynFuels
agency (which he helped to dismantle). Also had a conversation with
Bob Fiske, the former ABA head whose nomination as Deputy Attorney
General was nuked by right-wing crazies in 1989. Met the U.S.
Attorney for eastern New York earlier this year, and know half a dozen
or more federal judges.

And I exchanged hate mail with Dick Thornburgh's press secretary David
Runkel in early 1990. (I had a letter in the NYTimes commenting on
the AG's refusal to make available classified documents in the North
and Fernandez prosecutions. Runkel wrote an intimidating-looking
letter ordering me to "correct the record", in response to which I
told him, in so many words, to fuck off.) Shortly after our
pen-paldom ended, Runkel was demoted in a scandal at Justice. Hee
hee.

So I'm once removed from the soon-to-be loser in Tuesday's
Pennsylvania Senate race. So there :-P

--
Hey, who put this pubic hair on my Court?

Mark Eckenwiler e...@panix.com ...!cmcl2!panix!eck

Heikki Suopanki

Nov 3, 1991, 11:45:53 PM11/3/91

Mikhail Gorbachev was in Oulu two years ago. Of course he visited
our University too....
Anyway, I nearly touched him. He was only 1-2 meters away from me.

-Heikki

*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*
<* Heikki T. Suopanki <*> suop...@phoenix.oulu.fi <*> Oulu, Finland *>
*> IRC: heska <*> Pink dreams and blue thoughts <*> @>-,--'-- <*
<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>

David MOERY

Nov 4, 1991, 2:14:24 PM11/4/91

My brush with greatness: my friend and I visited Disneyland
a couple of years ago. After walking around all day we were
starving and got into the line for the Blue Lagoon restaurant,
which overlooks part of the Pirates of the Caribbean.

The line was the slowest one I've ever been in. Anyway, there's
a door on the outside of the restaurant, and as we stood there,
who should come out but Steve Gutenberg, with sunglasses on
and a big hat. We recognized him because he took off his sunglasses
and winked at us.

David Moery

Elizabeth Zaenger

Nov 4, 1991, 3:06:05 PM11/4/91
In article <23...@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unk...@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>In article <198...@unix.cis.pitt.edu> t...@unix.cis.pitt.edu (TJ Wood WA3VQJ) writes:
>>I got e-mail from Jan Harold Brunvand -- try to top *that* you guys.
>
> I met, talked to, and got an autographed business card from Brunvand
>when he talked at Cabrillo College (near the University I attend). I seem to
>remember answering some question he had about UNIX/mail/rn or something, but
>I don't recall that thoroughly enough.
>
>So I think I topped yer story, huh?

Oh yeah? Well, I saw Brunvand at a very small talk (about 10 people) here at
the University, and while I was talking to him afterwards, he claimed he
recognized *my* name from USENET.

Top that!

R Matthew Adams

Nov 4, 1991, 4:11:39 PM11/4/91
>de...@ns.network.com (Dean C. Gahlon) writes:
>
>> In article <47...@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au| muz...@cs.uq.oz.au writes:
>> |Hi there
>> |
>> |Thought of this while following the FOAFOAFOAFOAF thread:
>> |
>> |Is there anyone out there who has met/bumped into/is personal friends
>> |with someone who is considered "famous"???
>> |
>> |Doesn't matter HOW famous.... just someone that people might recognize!

At a blues festival in Helena, Arkansas, I talk for about 15 minutes with
Bruce Ignaur, the president of Aligator Records

--
=WMHD 90.5 FM= Terre Haute's Music Alternative
r. matt adams Oh garbage dump, oh garbage dump.

Brian Field

Nov 4, 1991, 7:39:20 PM11/4/91
In article <1991Oct31.1...@ohsu.edu> lil...@ohsu3b2.ohsu.edu (Jill Lilly) writes:
>OK, I can't resist. I'll ad mine:

Ok, me too.

I met Muhammed Ali when I was about 10 (1974 or so). A friend's dad
was a big-time local banker, and I believe was working some sort of
deal with him. I grew up nearing his training camp (Deer Lakes, PA, I
think was the name), so we pilled into the car one day and went to see
him. He put on a public like sparing match-- I can remember all these
other people standing around the ring. Pretty informal. Anyway,
being with the banker, we got to go back into his warm-up/dressing
room, and talk to him afterwards. I remember just sitting in this
leather couch not saying anything. Later Ali sat between Chip (my
friend) and I on the leather couch, and our picture was taken. I
still have that picture somewhere at my parents house.

I got to bowl with George Thorogood. (the ten pin variety) I did my
undergrad at U of Delaware, and he grew up there (Newark, DE). One
Friday night, on wild and crazy impulse, my girlfriend (Laura) and I
went to this bowling alley place. Half way through our second game,
this group gets the lane next to us. Laura whispers to me, "thats
George Thorogood" as she motions towards one of the guys. I look at
him, and think, Nahh. Then look at the score sheet, and its marked
"GT". Then I look again, more closely at him, and notice the
snakeskin cowboy boots and belt.... made Laura's evening when George
congratulated her on a strike she made...

Brian "one bourban, one shot, and one beer..." Field

Jon Noring

Nov 4, 1991, 7:58:44 PM11/4/91
Well, it's my turn to name-drop.

I know on a first-name basis George Morrow, who founded the company that made
Morrow computers. We share a common interest in jazz and dance recordings
of the 1920's and 30's. He has quite a collection, and we spent some
time together (couple of hours) listening to some old recordings and going
through his collection. We've also talked about digitally restoring certain
jazz and dance recordings and reissuing the material.

I know a couple of other famous people, which I'll save for a future posting
if this thread continues.

Jon

| Jon Noring | nor...@netcom.netcom.com | "The dogs bark, but the |
| JKN International | IP : 192.100.81.100 | caravan moves on." |
| 754 Catalina Drive | Phone : (415) 294-8153 | "Pack your lunch, sit in |
| Livermore, CA 94550 | V-Mail: (415) 862-1101 | the bushes, and watch." |
"If you make $50,000 today, you have the same buying power as the average
coal miner did in 1949, adjusted for taxes and inflation," John Sestina,
nationally recognized Certified Financial Planner; quoted in 1987.

Cyndi Cuppernell

Nov 4, 1991, 10:21:08 PM11/4/91
lu...@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu writes:

>ccup...@s.psych.uiuc.edu (Cyndi Cuppernell) says,

You mean people can eat that stuff?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My father-in-law used to call it fish bait. (As in dough balls)
My favorite use is to mix a de-crusted slice with a few drops of
white glue. Mash it up for a while, and you can form dishes, fake
food, and all kinds of other miniature items for doll houses. I
dropped some of those dishes on the floor, and they didn't even
crack. Makes you think what would happen if a kid has a Wonder
bread sandwich for lunch, then goes to art class.

Cyndi Cuppernell

David L. Pope

Nov 5, 1991, 12:30:27 AM11/5/91
From article <1991Nov4.0...@panix.com>, by e...@panix.com (Mark Eckenwiler):

> In <hZa...@engin.umich.edu>, ldoe...@engin.umich.edu stated:
>>Ha. Steven Jobs shook hands with me and said "Pleased to meet you, Larry"
>>Top that, you wankers.
> That's *MR.* Wanker to you.
> So I'm once removed from the soon-to-be loser in Tuesday's
> Pennsylvania Senate race. So there :-P

Double HA on you! My mom (who's maiden name is Carter) claims
second-cousinhood to Jimmie Carter (of White House fame). Okay,
she DOES say It's, like, two or three times removed, (whatever that
means). Plus, when I was four, I met the lady from Romper Room (A
great T.V. show, I liked Magic Mirror) AND won a Mr. Do-Bee (as opposed
to Don't Bee) bank (wish I still had that), PLUS I am (personally)
the worlds most proficient user of parenthesis (())!

David L. Pope
(See, I also know more Popes than all you Proles!)

Laurence Doering

Nov 5, 1991, 3:25:47 AM11/5/91
In article <1991Nov4.0...@panix.com> e...@panix.com (Mark Eckenwiler) writes:
>In <hZa...@engin.umich.edu>, ldoe...@engin.umich.edu stated:
>>
>>Top that, you wankers.
>
>That's *MR.* Wanker to you.
>
>I've argued before Justice Brennan. I also had lunch with James R.
>Jones (former House Majority Whip), now the President of the Amer.
>Stock Exchange, back in 1974. Edward Cox (Tricky Dick's son-in-law;
>you DO remember that swank Rose Garden bash, right) and I had a chat
>in which he gloried in his brief Reaganoid tenure at the SynFuels
>agency (which he helped to dismantle). Also had a conversation with
>Bob Fiske, the former ABA head whose nomination as Deputy Attorney
>General was nuked by right-wing crazies in 1989. Met the U.S.
>Attorney for eastern New York earlier this year, and know half a dozen
>or more federal judges.
>
>And I exchanged hate mail with Dick Thornburgh's press secretary David
>Runkel in early 1990. (I had a letter in the NYTimes commenting on
>the AG's refusal to make available classified documents in the North
>and Fernandez prosecutions. Runkel wrote an intimidating-looking
>letter ordering me to "correct the record", in response to which I
>told him, in so many words, to fuck off.) Shortly after our
>pen-paldom ended, Runkel was demoted in a scandal at Justice. Hee
>hee.
>
>So I'm once removed from the soon-to-be loser in Tuesday's
>Pennsylvania Senate race. So there :-P

Hah. I forgot to mention in my previous post that:

I went to high school with Pam Shriver (okay, she got blown out of the
U.S. Open this year, but she'll always be a tennis star to me), and my
brother tells anyone who'll listen that I went out with her in high
school (not true.)

I met Norman Mailer and Aaron Copeland when they spoke in my dorm as
part of the Pappas Fellow program at the University of Pennsylvania.

I talked to Clive Barker the week after _Hellraiser_ was released, and
he gave me a weird autographed drawing of a monster with tentacles on
its head.

I was in the same room with Jimmy Carter and Joseph Califano when my
sister was given the Presidential Scholar award in 1977.

And, to top it all off, another sister of mine used to go out with
Simon Bob Sinister, the lead singer of _Corrosion of Conformity_.

Top that, if you dare.
Larry "Oh, I got Bob Hoover's autograph at an airshow once, too" Doering

Dave Robinson

Nov 5, 1991, 9:12:12 AM11/5/91
In article <1991Nov3.0...@athena.cs.uga.edu> mcov...@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) writes:
>I know X-ray technicians who have X-rayed Jimmy Carter
>and Martin Luther King, Jr.
>
>The latter has also X-rayed me.

What ? Martin Luther King Jr. X-rayed you ??? :-):-)
--
Dave Robinson, ICL-BRA03, Lovelace Rd, Bracknell, Berks. RG12 4TZ. UK
Tel: (+44) 344 481000 x5441 ITN: 7263 5441 Fax: (+44) 344 868889

Craig R Albrechtson

Nov 5, 1991, 12:15:22 PM11/5/91

Sadly, I can report that I have never met anyone famous of note. However
I wonder why almost everyone I know has met someone famous.

A co-worker of a friend of mine lived across the hall from Jeffrey Dahmer

Another friend of mine was an extra last month in a movie in chicago
in a nightclub scene with Bill Murry and Robert Deniro. She said
that during the long shoot Mr. Deniro did't talk to anybody during
takes and was a very big snob. But to contrast that she said that
bill Murry spent alot of time between takes saying hello to the various
extras and chatting with the extras. She said at one point Bill Murry
gave a back massage to a extra.

My dad has met both Jerry Van Dyke (of coach fame) and Stan Kenton

My grandmother has autographs from John F Kennnedy and Jackie Kennedy

My brothers girlfriend has met several members of the cast of superforce
when she got to see it filmed.

* Craig Reese Albrechtson (Slider) * University of Wisconsin Milwaukee *
* The usual meanless disclaimers apply * cra...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu *

Bob Cano

Nov 5, 1991, 2:03:12 PM11/5/91
I have shaken hands with every Canadian Prime Minister since John
Diefenbakker.

Bob Cano Bell-Northern Research | When all else fails,
rcano@.bnr.ca P.O. Box 3511, Stn. C | read the instructions.
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada |
(613)763 4086 K1Y 4H7 |

Brian Scearce

Nov 5, 1991, 1:38:05 PM11/5/91
ran...@cbnewse.cb.att.com (David L. Pope) writes:
> My mom (who's maiden name is Carter) claims second-cousinhood to
> Jimmie Carter (of White House fame). Okay, she DOES say It's, like,
> two or three times removed, (whatever that means).

I'm glad you asked (even though you didn't).

Your Nth cousin is someone who has an ancestor in common with you
N+1 generations (but not N generations) back. So, all the people
who have a grandparent in common with you are your FIRST cousins
(unless they're your brother or sister, of course). The people
who have a great-grandparent in common with you are your SECOND
cousins.

Your Nth cousin K times removed is the Kth-level descendant of your
Nth cousin. So, your (first) cousin's grandchildren are your FIRST
cousins, TWICE removed.

Note that this nomenclature is not symmetric; it doesn't cover
people closer to the root of the family tree than you. You have
a special name for your cousin's grandchildren, but they don't have
a name for you.

Brian "Relatively Uninteresting" Scearce
--
Brian Scearce (b...@robin.svl.cdc.com -or- robin!b...@shamash.cdc.com)
"Don't be surprised when a crack in the ice appears under your feet"

Cindy Kandolf

Nov 5, 1991, 3:03:39 PM11/5/91
Jay Geertsen claims:

>I once stood in a checkout line at an Albertson's store behind...
> Donny Osmond (Entertainer)
^^^^^^^^^^<- being generous here, aren't we? ;-)

What kind of store is Albertson's? If it was a grocery or drug store, didja
happen to notice what kind of toothpaste he uses? ;-)

Enquiring (fried) minds do want to know....

-Cindy Kandolf
ci...@solan.unit.no
Trondheim, Norway

Richard L. Carreiro

Nov 5, 1991, 3:56:13 PM11/5/91
In article <12...@pitt.UUCP> fi...@flash.cs.pitt.edu.UUCP (Brian Field) writes:
>In article <1991Oct31.1...@ohsu.edu> lil...@ohsu3b2.ohsu.edu (Jill Lilly) writes:
>>OK, I can't resist. I'll ad mine:
>Ok, me too.

And me...

It was 1979, the place a YMCA in Providence, RI. THrough some warp
in the universe, the then just-signed Larry Bird agree to come down
to give a clinic for a couple of hours. As part of the clinic, he
played a short (first basket wins) game of one-on-one with each of us
in turn, kid (we were 8-12yrs old) gets the ball first. As is typical
for Bird, he doesn't want to lose to anyone, not even a kid, so anyone
who tried to drive on him (almost everyone) got rejected and Larry would
clear the ball back and drain a jumper for the win. So, when it was my
turn, I took a dribble back to the top of the key and heaved one up.
It rolled around the rim and fell out. Bird got the board (surprise,
surprise :-) cleared it out, and drove in for the dunk (!) [I guess he
wanted to make sure to end it :-]

If you want proof, the best I can offer up is the paragraph in
the unauthorized Bird biography (_Bird: The Making of an American Legend_)
that mentions he agreed to see some kids in Providence.
Also, thanks to that episode, I have a copy of the premiere issue
of _Inside Sports_ with Bird's autograph over the picture of himself
on the cover.

--
Rich Carreiro "My country, right or wrong,"
ARPA: rlc...@athena.mit.edu is like

Brian Scearce

Nov 5, 1991, 3:16:11 PM11/5/91
rc...@bmerh330.BNR.CA (Bob Cano) writes:
>I have shaken hands with every Canadian Prime Minister since John
>Diefenbakker.

Heck, even he might have shaken hands with you if you could spell
his name correctly.

Brian "Scary -- PvdL is probably the most famous person I know" Scearce

Alan Brubaker

Nov 5, 1991, 4:25:35 PM11/5/91
In article <1991Nov5.210339*ci...@solan.unit.no> ci...@solan.unit.no (Cindy Kandolf) writes:
>Jay Geertsen claims:
>>I once stood in a checkout line at an Albertson's store behind...
>> Donny Osmond (Entertainer)
> ^^^^^^^^^^<- being generous here, aren't we? ;-)
>
>What kind of store is Albertson's? If it was a grocery or drug store, didja
>happen to notice what kind of toothpaste he uses? ;-)

Albertson's is a chain of supermarkups - whoops, I mean
supermarkets here in the Pretty Great State of Utah. One
of Donny's brothers lives not too far away from us down
here at the south end of the Salt Lake Valley.

As far as this famous people business goes, I am an
amateur radio operator ("ham"), and I have talked to
a couple of "famous" hams, the most recognizable being
Senator Barry Goldwater, and the other being Roy Neal
of NBC news. There are several celebrities who are ham
radio operators including Ronnie Milsap (country and
western singer), Joe Rudy (baseball player on the
Oakland A's), Andy Devine ("Jingles") and Arthur Godfrey
were ham operators, and King Hussein of Jordan is also
a ham radio operator and so is Walter Cronkite.

--
Alan Brubaker, K6XO |~~|_ "Pumps have handles, Hams have names;
<IYF disclaimer> | * |mine's Lee, what's yours?" - Lee Wical,

Paul Tomblin

Nov 5, 1991, 9:01:35 PM11/5/91
rc...@bmerh330.BNR.CA (Bob Cano) writes:

>I have shaken hands with every Canadian Prime Minister since John
>Diefenbakker.

Yeah, but which ones did you immediately wash your hands after? Or check
to make sure your watch was still there?

Ok, on the subject of Famous People:

I nearly bought Oscar Peterson's Apple II clone (he was going to get
a PC!)

A guy in my highschool class was in a couple of TV commercials
(Steve Jacobs, not famous, probably never will be). He also
briefly held the world record for longest time smiling, set at
a contest to see how many world records they could break.

A good friend of mine (Ted DeStCroix) was 10th in the World
Orienteering Championships, but everyone in North America probably
just said "Huh? What's Orienteering?" Ask somebody Swedish, I'm
tired of telling everybody.

Bruce Cockburn signed my room-mates guitar.

Count Steve, the lead singer of the band "The Villians" once
grabbed me and yelled "Keep that fag away from my speakers",
when I was security at one of their concerts. I hear Count
Steve is now in the slammer for Grand Theft Auto.

I shared a joint with the members of the band Messenjah, during
an English Beat concert. (Those Rasta's roll BIG joints!)

--
...Paul Tomblin
Pick up a copy of "A Bridge Too Far", and look up Sergent-Pilot Tomblin in the

Peter van der Linden

Nov 6, 1991, 12:39:32 AM11/6/91
This whole yawnsome "who do I know who is famous?" thread is an
instructive lesson in Urban Folklore. Perhaps it once had an
interesting half-life (measured in minutes) but it quickly degen-
erated into the equivalent of "Oh yeah? Well *my* dad can beat up
your dad!" as people reached ever further backwards into their
memories -- or imaginations -- to recall the time that a once
has-been jazz musician spat on their cousin's car.

But the one interesting facet is to notice how the thread start-
ed, and where it mutated from that point. It started with the
old "send a letter to anyone in the world through no more than N
intermediaries", though I believe *that* thread was reawakened
by the "daughter of Eve" thread. Both of these have been
reincarnated from last year's Freshman class too. From this
point the thread rapidly, almost chaotically degenerated into
"who have I ever gazed on, who is known outside my immediate
circle?"

To me, this process represents a metaphor for the verbal
transmission of many legends. The original point is lost, as
people evolve the tale to be more directly relevant to their own
personal life. Perhaps we could develop this theme at the up-
coming AFU West }{, should Brian ever get around to organizing
it. But in the meantime, maybe the thread should just die gracefully?

----------------
Peter van der Linden lin...@eng.sun.com
I'm the man who put the "cute" in execute.

Dave Elliott

Nov 4, 1991, 4:31:13 PM11/4/91

Back in 1974-5, I worked in Bloomingdale's selling calculators (I was the
"Bowmar Brain" man). I sold calculators to Paul Simon and Charles Revson
(head of Revlon Cosmetics). In the store, I saw Lauren Bacall, Elton John
and James Coco. Rumor had it that Elton John picked out some clothes and had
a friend on the staff who used his employee discount to buy it.
One time a little old lady asked me for directions. I was in the middle
of explaining to her how to find the linen department when a little light went
on in my head. I was talking to Ruth Gordon!

- Dave Elliott
da...@hpda.hp.com

Dean Johnson

Nov 5, 1991, 7:30:22 PM11/5/91

In article <1991Nov3.0...@athena.cs.uga.edu>, mcov...@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) writes:
|> I know X-ray technicians who have X-rayed Jimmy Carter
|> and Martin Luther King, Jr.
|>
|> The latter has also X-rayed me.
|>
|> (That close to greatness...)

Martin Luther King, Jr. X-rayed you...my my...that is a brush with greatness.
--
-Dean Johnson
Software Berserker/Rabid-Prototyping Specialist/CyberHippie

Pat Inglis

Nov 5, 1991, 9:24:21 PM11/5/91
In article <2...@dsbc.icl.co.uk> d...@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Dave Robinson) writes:
>In article <1991Nov3.0...@athena.cs.uga.edu> mcov...@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) writes:
>>I know X-ray technicians who have X-rayed Jimmy Carter
>>and Martin Luther King, Jr.
>>
>>The latter has also X-rayed me.
>>
> What ? Martin Luther King Jr. X-rayed you ??? :-):-)

Don't worry - he was, after all, a doctor. =:D

This might not be such a big deal to people outside of Canada, but I
stood in an instant teller line behind Nolton Nash, the news anchor for the
CBC. I couldn't quite make out his PIN but noticed he took out quite a
bit of dough.

I also almost ran over Carling Bassett, the almost great Canadian tennis
star, while she was jaywalking across Yonge Street in Toronto. She just
darted out off the curb. As I screeched to a halt and leaned on the
horn, I recognized her. She smiled appreciatively for not running her
over and I continued on my way.

--
___
| __ =I= "Gurkin?" - V. Flytrap.
| / \[_]| ********************************************************
/ \ \__/ I/|\ Pat Inglis: MKS Inc, Waterloo, Ontario, CAN. p...@mks.com

Terry Monks

Nov 6, 1991, 9:14:43 AM11/6/91
I hate to come in so late, but...

I actually *am* Terry Monks.

Terry "Tell him what he's won, Don Pardo" Monks
--
Terry Monks Automata Design Inc (703) 472-9400

marc.colten

Nov 6, 1991, 10:25:35 AM11/6/91
In article <1991Nov6.0...@mks.com>, p...@mks.com (Pat Inglis) writes:
> In article <2...@dsbc.icl.co.uk> d...@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Dave Robinson) writes:

> This might not be such a big deal to people outside of Canada, but I
> stood in an instant teller line behind Nolton Nash, the news anchor for the
> CBC. I couldn't quite make out his PIN but noticed he took out quite a
> bit of dough.
>
> I also almost ran over Carling Bassett, the almost great Canadian tennis
> star, while she was jaywalking across Yonge Street in Toronto. She just
> darted out off the curb. As I screeched to a halt and leaned on the
> horn, I recognized her. She smiled appreciatively for not running her
> over and I continued on my way.

Well I've watched this go on for a while and thought I'd add my 2 cents.
I haven't actually MET any really famous people, but since others
are including close calls and sightings - well why not me?

I've lived in NYC and still go in there a couple of times a year for
shows and such. You'd think I'd be tripping over famous people every
time, but it almost never happens. Then one day we had tickets for
the David Letterman show. That day we saw:

Ossie Davis - They were filming what I later found out was
JOE VS THE VOLCANO. He was sitting in a chair
between scenes outside Rockerfeller Center. This
was the scene where Tom Hanks goes into the store
past the woman who was watering the Great Danes in
a concrete basin. I saw the dogs too, but I
don't suppose that counts.

Donald Sutherland - came out of an elevator as we enterered the
building and made a detour around us.

David Dinkins - He had won the Mayoral race the day before and
was going in to be interviewed on Live At Five.

Joan Rivers (and her dog) - was going in to do her show (I think)

Katie Kelly - Passed us in the hallway.

That's all I can remember right now. I think that was all on one trip
although they tend to blend together :-)

Of course, now that I think about it I may have an even greater brush
with greatness. I went to college with Joe Piscopo's older sister.
His name never came up in conversation at the time, since he was probably
in Junior High or High School.

marc colten

Jack Campin

Nov 6, 1991, 10:25:07 AM11/6/91
dav...@microsoft.com (David MOERY) wrote:
> My brush with greatness: [...] Steve Gutenberg

As with about 90% of the names offered in this rather pointless thread, my
reaction to this one is: Who?

On the other hand, people I have spent at least one night in the same house
with have:

done three months for assault and wounding with a knife
done six months for burglary
got five years and served two for armed robbery
got away with currency smuggling
been wanted in a foreign country at the time on a capital charge
got three years for embezzlement
got away with bank robbery
done one year for large-scale dealing in LSD
got away with large-scale dealing in LSD
been convicted of numerous other drug and shoplifting charges
been charged with paedophilia and acquitted
got away with smuggling drugs into a prison
been charged with conspiracy to cause explosions and acquitted
got away uncharged with a long career in prostitution
become a Minister of Defence

Two of the above refer to the same person, but I'm not saying which.

Oh yeah, I've also met a psychotic syphilitic who shot his daughter's face
off and a Prime Minister.

--
-- Jack Campin Computing Science Department, Glasgow University, 17 Lilybank
Gardens, Glasgow G12 8QQ, Scotland 041 339 8855 x6854 work 041 556 1878 home

Bill Stewart 908-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs

Nov 6, 1991, 10:25:16 PM11/6/91
Well, I was right behind Chuck Colson putting luggage in a car at
the Oakland airport about 10 years ago (after he had reformed
and was doing ministry work with prisoners), though I didn't
bother saying "Oh, Gee! You're Chuck Colson, former criminal!"
or anything like that.

And I've driven (then-Vice) Presidential candidate Andre Marrou around.
But that sort of thing is easier with third parties and their conventions.
I've also met Robert Anton Wilson and Bob Shea, but they have a
conspiracy not to remember me.
--
Pray for peace; Bill
#Bill Stewart +1-908-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs AT&T Bell Labs 4M312 Holmdel NJ

Bill Stewart 908-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs

Nov 6, 1991, 10:36:03 PM11/6/91
In article <S0J...@taronga.com> ari...@taronga.com (Stephanie da Silva) writes:
] I can top this.
] I once shook hands with Richard Nixon.
] (I can just hear everyone going, "woooooooo")....

Did you count your fingers afterwards?
Were they all still there? :-)

W. Scott Cranston

Nov 7, 1991, 8:36:21 AM11/7/91

Weekend mechanic type recently laid this on me:

Even after all the gasoline (petrol to you current and ex-pat Brits) has
been emptied out of an automobile's tank, you still cannot weld it because
the gasoline molecules have bonded to the metal in the tank and a horrible
explosion would result.

True? We need case histories.

scott "lordy, lordy" cranston
--
+---------^> "The Spirit of Massachusetts is the Spirit of America"
| < -Massachusetts Division of Tourism
+-------. \ 7 "Right..."
\_\_/ -cran...@cadence.com

Harry Bloomberg

Nov 7, 1991, 9:41:37 AM11/7/91
In article <1991Nov7.1...@cadence.com> cran...@cadence.com (W. Scott Cranston) writes:

>Weekend mechanic type recently laid this on me:
>
>Even after all the gasoline (petrol to you current and ex-pat Brits) has
>been emptied out of an automobile's tank, you still cannot weld it because
>the gasoline molecules have bonded to the metal in the tank and a horrible
>explosion would result.

The one time I had a leaky gas tank fixed, the welder heated up a
large piece of metal with his torch, and used the heat from the metal to
melt the welding bead. He did not use the open flame anywhere near the
tank and of course he drained the tank of gasoline.

I don't think this is an UL.

Harry Bloomberg
h...@vms.cis.pitt.edu

David Esan

Nov 7, 1991, 10:45:26 AM11/7/91
In article <23...@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unk...@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>In article <198...@unix.cis.pitt.edu> t...@unix.cis.pitt.edu (TJ Wood WA3VQJ) writes:
>>I got e-mail from Jan Harold Brunvand -- try to top *that* you guys.
> I met, talked to, and got an autographed business card from Brunvand
>So I think I topped yer story, huh?

Somewhere lurking quietly in the background is a reader whose mother sleeps
with JHB. Guess he tops all of you. [Keep your smutty comments to yourself
please!]
--> David Esan d...@moscom.com

Doug S. Caprette Bldg. 28 W191 x3892

Nov 7, 1991, 1:25:30 PM11/7/91
This does not sound like a very safe approach to me.

The way I heard it is that it is very difficult to get all of the gasoline
out of the tank and even a little residue will evaporate and can form an
explosive mixture with the air in the tank. This makes perfectly good sense
to me.

The safe way to weld on gas tanks that I heard was to drain the gasoline, fill
the tank with water, and keep it full of water while welding. Makes sense.

--
| Regards, | Hughes STX | Code 926.9 GSFC |
| Doug Caprette | Lanham, Maryland | Greenbelt, MD 20771 |

Dill

Nov 7, 1991, 1:36:54 PM11/7/91

Just two nights ago I met ZAP, LASER and NITRO from American Gladiators!!
They came into a bar I go to often after they did a show on campus.

Kennedy? Hah!

--
[ Steve Dillinger :: smd1...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu :: di...@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu ]
[ University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign ]

mor...@ramblr.enet.dec.com

Nov 7, 1991, 2:06:41 PM11/7/91
In article <1991Nov7.1...@cadence.com>, cran...@cadence.com (W. Scott Cranston) writes...

>Weekend mechanic type recently laid this on me:
>
>Even after all the gasoline (petrol to you current and ex-pat Brits) has
>been emptied out of an automobile's tank, you still cannot weld it because
>the gasoline molecules have bonded to the metal in the tank and a horrible
>explosion would result.
>
>True? We need case histories.

A guy at work here who has a custom hot-rod had his gas tank modified by welding
by another guy here who moonlights as a welder. I'll try to find out
how this was done. I do know dry ice is used when old gas tanks are removed
from the ground to keep sparks from igniting fumes (CO2 doesn't support
combustion). I don't know if dry ice would be enough to weld gas tanks
safely.

-Mike

Cathi Ann Cook

Nov 7, 1991, 4:04:07 PM11/7/91
rlc...@athena.mit.edu (Richard L. Carreiro) writes:

>In article <12...@pitt.UUCP> fi...@flash.cs.pitt.edu.UUCP (Brian Field) writes:
>>In article <1991Oct31.1...@ohsu.edu> lil...@ohsu3b2.ohsu.edu (Jill Lilly) writes:
>>>OK, I can't resist. I'll ad mine:
>>Ok, me too.

>And me...

Well geeeze, all this "I saw so-and-so across the mall one time" is nice
but didn't anyone else know someone _before_ they were famous?

I used to spend a lot of time in Florida hanging around with a group
of musicians that included Johnny Depp. I was going out with the lead
singer in his first band when I met him. We used to call him the
puppy, because he was the perpetual fresh-faced innocent boy. Looked
just like Eddie Van Halen, too, back when Eddie had really long hair.
I was there the night he met his first wife (who was, at the time, dating
another guitarist who went on to make an album with a band in New York.
Had a couple of songs on the charts, but I don't remember the band's
name). They made a most unlikely couple, we all thought, but they
eventually got married anyway.

Anyway, his first band was called the Bad Boys (tres originale), and
then he went on to join a band called The Kids (maybe it was eventually
the Kidzz or something, back when Z's came into vogue (-: ). They
started touring out of Florida, and eventually moved to LA. I mostly
lost track of them at that point, though rumors eventually came floating
back that they had broken up. Then, one day, I was watching Nightmare
on Elm Street on cable and....."HEY! I _KNOW_ that guy!" :-)

Anyway, I haven't followed his career much since then. I watched
21 Jump Street a few times, but not very much. I was highly amused
that he managed to get a couple of our other old cronies on there, like
Sal, the Eternal Roadie who was always borrowing money from me.

I saw him in this new Tom Petty video. Trust me, when he plays guitar
in the video, he's _not_ faking. He was always a very good lead
guitarist.

Anyhow, most of the good stories I have from those days (like the New
Year's Eve massacre (-: ) don't involve Johnny as anything more than
a member of the band. He didn't get into nearly as much trouble as
most did. He was never snotty, always said hi to everyone, I just
remember him as a really nice guy. Not the way he seems to come off
these days, but then I haven't spoken to him in ages.

So that's one of MY stories. Did anyone else know anyone _before_
they hit the big time?

-rocker

Richard Pottorff

Nov 7, 1991, 4:56:38 PM11/7/91

Peter Falk at a movie theater in Westwood, CA.
Red Skelton in the Wichita, KS airport (Is there another Wichita in
the US of A?).

Claire Booth Luce's granddaughter at a memorial for Claire.
Scott McNealy, for you Unix hackers.

Ramblin'

Eric Wedaa

Nov 7, 1991, 3:43:36 PM11/7/91
cran...@cadence.com (W. Scott Cranston) writes:

>Even after all the gasoline (petrol to you current and ex-pat Brits) has
>been emptied out of an automobile's tank, you still cannot weld it because
>the gasoline molecules have bonded to the metal in the tank and a horrible
>explosion would result.

BS! The problem is that Joe Welder doesn't clean the tank well enough.
The trick is to fill the tank with water, which makes sure there are no
gasoline fumes left in the tank. No Fumes, no BOOM!

--
Eric Wedaa - er...@amd.com | Two more kinds of lies...
{ames apple uunet}!amd!ericw | Release Dates, and Benchmarks

gle...@mwk.uucp

Nov 7, 1991, 7:17:04 PM11/7/91

Well, this is second hand famous, but...

One of my cousins married the sister of the guy that took a shot at
Prez Reagan (John Hinkley? something like that). It was before the
assasination attempt, so Hinkley was there.

I missed the wedding (hey, how'd I know he was gonna be famous?), but
heard about it from my other relatives who were there. My mother commented,
after Hinkley gunned down Our Leader, that at the wedding, Hinkley...

"was a quiet guy...kept pretty much to himself..."

gle...@mwk.uucp

~WISP at CU~

Nov 8, 1991, 4:07:31 AM11/8/91
In article <1856...@hpcvaac.cv.hp.com> bi...@hpcvaac.cv.hp.com (bill nelson) writes:

>mor...@ramblr.enet.dec.com / 11:06 am Nov 7, 1991 / writes:
>
>>how this was done. I do know dry ice is used when old gas tanks are removed
>>from the ground to keep sparks from igniting fumes (CO2 doesn't support
>>combustion). I don't know if dry ice would be enough to weld gas tanks
>>safely.
>
>Ah, you bring up another urban legend: CO2 does not support combustion.
>
>Your assignment, if you choose to accept it, is to name at least one
>substance that will burn in a CO2 atmosphere.

How about magnesium? Or a hydrogen peroxide/methanol mixture (stand well back
when mixing these - or get someone else to do it for you! 8->). Then there's
CJ, balck powder, nitroglycerine etc. Seriously, though, magnesium will
burn in a CO2 atmosphere.

Later,

The Wisp. [composting toilet of useless information...]
Chris Williams <cs...@uk.ac.warwick.csv> aka <cs...@csv.warwick.ac.uk>
"Tony Greig in the slips, legs apart, waiting for a tickle"
Brian Johnson (thanks to A. Simha 8^>)

Paul S. Casey

Nov 7, 1991, 10:54:07 PM11/7/91
In article <78...@cernvax.cern.ch> ste...@cernvm.cern.ch writes:

| In <4297...@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM> j...@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM (Jay Geertsen) writes:
|
| >I once stood in a checkout line at an Albertson's store behind...
| > Donny Osmond (Entertainer)
|
| Donny Osmond?!?!?!
|
| Did you at least kick him while you had the chance?
|
| A confirmed Osmond-hater

Hey, isn't it DON Osmond nowadays? I think he figured it would help him shake
that goofball image. Oooh, how subtle.

Paul.

Nicholas J. Simicich

Nov 8, 1991, 1:50:58 AM11/8/91
My wife had a fannish visitor from Germany over a couple of years ago.
The woman was quite excited at the thought of seeing an American
Celebrity of some sort. My wife assured her that such things never
happened. The next day they stopped at a light, and Billy Joel pulled
up to the light next to them. They rolled down the window, and he
talked to them.

Stephen Stills went to my high school (he was a couple of years ahead
of me) as did Tom Petty (he was in my shop class, I barely talked to
him).

--
Nick Simicich - uunet!bywater!scifi!njs - n...@watson.ibm.com
SSI #AOWI 3958, HSA 318

Joe Harrington

Nov 7, 1991, 5:15:03 PM11/7/91

>I've argued before Justice Brennan.

OK, I'll jump in now. I'm currently renting, for the ski season, the home
of the late Potter Stewart, Supreme Court justice. Justice Stewart's
widow lives in the house in the summers. Great pal of George Bush. So
*maybe* George and Babs slept there once. It coulda happened. It's
not 2 hours from Kennebunkport.

bill nelson

Nov 7, 1991, 7:39:22 PM11/7/91
mor...@ramblr.enet.dec.com / 11:06 am Nov 7, 1991 / writes:

>how this was done. I do know dry ice is used when old gas tanks are removed
>from the ground to keep sparks from igniting fumes (CO2 doesn't support
>combustion). I don't know if dry ice would be enough to weld gas tanks
>safely.

Ah, you bring up another urban legend: CO2 does not support combustion.

Your assignment, if you choose to accept it, is to name at least one
substance that will burn in a CO2 atmosphere.

Bill "No, I am not that substance" Nelson

The Master

Nov 8, 1991, 8:48:17 AM11/8/91

In my prior life, I spent several years driving a taxi, and got to meet
several famous people. Probably THE nicest was Arnold Swartznegger.
The best tipper was Bob Hope. The worst tipper (and biggest blowhard
stuckup asshole) was James Brown.

o]
POSTED FROM THE GREAT STATE OF NEVADA
+Where men are MEN.... reply to: lsm...@unssun.nevada.edu
+And sheep are nervous.

Eric Voss

Nov 8, 1991, 2:21:14 AM11/8/91
> bi...@hpcvaac.cv.hp.com (bill nelson) writes:

>Ah, you bring up another urban legend: CO2 does not support combustion.

CO2 does indeed support combustion. I've witnessed it myself, and this is
a favorite freshman chemistry demonstration. (Finally some use for my two
years as Northwestern's Chemistry Lecture Demonstrator!!)

Magnesium can and will burn in carbon dioxide. The demo we do is to carve
a cavity in a large chunck of dry ice (solid CO2),fill it with magnesium
ribbon, light the ribbon, and cap the cavity with another chunck of dry
ice. After a few minutes of glowing combustion, the cavity is opened, and
you can see some black residue in the hole. What happens, is that the
magnesium uses the oxygen in the CO2 to burn, and leaves carbon behind as
the black soot. I don't know if this qualifies as combustion in CO2, but
we certainly "sell" it to the masses as such. :-)

Eric Voss
"Lecture Demonstrator Emeritus"
Department of Chemistry
Northwestern University
Evanston, IL 60208-3113
e-v...@nwu.edu

~WISP at CU~

Nov 8, 1991, 3:42:31 AM11/8/91
In article <1991Nov7.1...@cadence.com> cran...@cadence.com (W. Scott Cranston) writes:

>Weekend mechanic type recently laid this on me:
>
>Even after all the gasoline (petrol to you current and ex-pat Brits) has
>been emptied out of an automobile's tank, you still cannot weld it because
>the gasoline molecules have bonded to the metal in the tank and a horrible
>explosion would result.
>
>True? We need case histories.

Almost. The reason you can't weld a car's (automobile to you Yanks... ;->)
tank after emptying out the gasoline (once is enough...) is that there is
still loads of lovely explosive gasoline vapour in the tank - gas is an
adhesive liquid and draining it doesn't remove all the gas from the tank. Add
a bit of volatility and what you have in an 'empty' gas tank is a crude FAE
bomb. There's no bonding to the metal, any more than water bonds to a glass -
have you ever drunk a glass of water and found the glass completely dry?

To prevent the problem, what you have to do before welding a gas tank is to
drain it, then wash it out thoroughly with warm water AND detergent, which
breaks up the surface layer of gas and allows it to be carried out with the
water.

Dana Crom

Nov 8, 1991, 1:06:17 PM11/8/91
I used to work for Scott McNealy back when he was production manager for
Onyx Systems, before he went on to Sun. Since we were a small group (~15)
that had regular beer busts, I've had a beer with him many times. (This is
a distinction I share with hundreds of Sun employees) When he left for Sun,
he took a lot of our group with him - I had just gotten married and didn't
want to take a chance (can you say STUPID? good, I knew you could...)

He was a nice guy, quiet, but like to startle people; he had several "Izod"
shirts that upon closer examination had *two* alligators - mating. He was
also fond of neon plaid bermuda shorts when we worked weekends, but that
might have just been poor taste...
--
-----------------------+------------------------+------------------------------
Dana Crom | Silicon Graphics, Inc. | Smile - let them *WONDER*

Mark Eckenwiler

Nov 8, 1991, 3:58:19 AM11/8/91
In <58c_-y=@engin.umich.edu>, ldoe...@engin.umich.edu stated:

>Hah. I forgot to mention in my previous post that:
>
>I went to high school with Pam Shriver (okay, she got blown out of the
>
>I met Norman Mailer and Aaron Copeland when they spoke in my dorm as
>
>I talked to Clive Barker the week after _Hellraiser_ was released, and
>
>I was in the same room with Jimmy Carter and Joseph Califano when my
>
>And, to top it all off, another sister of mine used to go out with
>Simon Bob Sinister, the lead singer of _Corrosion of Conformity_.
>
>Top that, if you dare.
>Larry "Oh, I got Bob Hoover's autograph at an airshow once, too" Doering

"Now I'll have to uthe my THECRET WEAPON ...." [D. Duck]

Around the same time that I met Jim Jones (the politician, not the
religious concessionaire), I also met John Ehrlichman (have his
autograph to prove it) and Pat Nixon (have the AP wirephoto to prove
it). This was in June 1974, and I probably would have met Dick had he
not been busy with some stupid political squabble :-)

Did I mention I saw Colonel Sanders in the hotel on this same trip?
--
Hey, who put this pubic hair on my Court?

Mark Eckenwiler e...@panix.com ...!cmcl2!panix!eck

It is loading more messages.