Kidney theft vectored in college class

Medieval Knievel

Sep 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/30/99
One of my instructors brought up the University of Texas at Austin kidney
theft. when i mentioned that I knew this to be untrue, he claimed that a
friend of his at UTA had verified the story. Another student chimed in with
the New Orleans variation of the story. I have e-mailed them both the
appropriate snopes pages, and an awaiting the indignant replies I usually
get when I do this.

And all I ever wanted was to be popular...

--
May the Peace of Medieval Knievel Be Unto You
remove NOSPAM from the e-mail address to reply

sha...@my-deja.com

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99
My Ethics professor at a small (to remain unnamed) school in Texas
also brought up the story. I told him it was an UL, and we argued for
quite some time. I think he said something to the fact that he had a
PhD, and I was a lowly grad student. The next class, I brought in a
bunch of information I had collected from the Kidney Foundation web
page. Needless to say, he was embarrassed.
In article <rv8cbi...@corp.supernews.com>,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Olivers

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99
Medieval Knievel wrote:

> One of my instructors brought up the University of Texas at Austin kidney
> theft.

There is no "University of Texas at Austin". There is "The University
of Texas" wich is in Austin.

> when i mentioned that I knew this to be untrue, he claimed that a
> friend of his at UTA had verified the story.

"UTA" has nought to do with the University of Texas which is in Austin.
"UTA" is the "University of Texas at Arlington", once Arlington State,
but elevated to the peerage by act of the Moot (which meeteth too often
and enacteth too much, with much clanking of hilt on buckler).

Then there's TAMU, which is not a related to Shamu, an Orcan.

As that great American, W. C. Brann, editor and publisher of the
_Iconoclast_, a 19th century periodical which should be required reading
for afuites and novitiates, once wrote:

"Baylor University stands four square against heresy, the Papacy and
lunacy, but up to its neck in hypocrisy."
--
Olivers/SWRSO
"When you waltz across Texas,

David Martin

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99
Olivers wrote:

> Medieval Knievel wrote:
> >
> > One of my instructors brought up the University of Texas at Austin kidney
> > theft.
>
> There is no "University of Texas at Austin". There is "The University
> of Texas" wich is in Austin.

You might want to revise your database. I refer you to the
web page of the institution to which you refer:
http://www.utexas.edu/
There, in letters clear enough that even an Aggie couldn't
mistake them, it states: University of Texas at Austin.
It repeats that phrase in the welcome from the president.

Apparently the rapid proliferation of Universities of Texas
drove them to make the distinction. TAMU has so far avoided
this, even though there are growing numbers of Texas A&Ms.

All of this has nothing to do with the voracity of the kidney
story.

David "BEVO is gooood eatin'" Martin

K. D.

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99

David Martin wrote in message <37F489C4...@tamu.edu>...

>Olivers wrote:
>> There is no "University of Texas at Austin". There is "The University
>> of Texas" wich is in Austin.
>
>You might want to revise your database. I refer you to the
>web page of the institution to which you refer:
>http://www.utexas.edu/
>There, in letters clear enough that even an Aggie couldn't
>mistake them, it states: University of Texas at Austin.

Hahahaha -- this is pretty good, even tho, not being from Texas and never
having lived there, I can't fully appreciate the Aggie humor. However,
even *I* can't mistake those big letters at the top of the web page!

All of which has nothing to do with kidney theft, altho I think it might
relate to another thread that's been floating around here...... but, never
mind

Medieval Knievel

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99

<sha...@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:7t2kg0$35d$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

> My Ethics professor at a small (to remain unnamed) school in Texas
> also brought up the story. I told him it was an UL, and we argued for
> quite some time. I think he said something to the fact that he had a
> PhD, and I was a lowly grad student. The next class, I brought in a
> bunch of information I had collected from the Kidney Foundation web
> page. Needless to say, he was embarrassed.

In my case, I dropped the argument after it became clear that the issue
wasn't going to be solved in class. I e-mailed him the link to the snopes
page, and today we had a talk in his office, and the issue didn't come up.
Instead, he offered to recommend me to a doctoral program when I finish the
current masters program I am in. I am really glad that I showed a bit of
reserve in this case.

--
May the Peace of Medieval "Nyah, nyah, I win" Knievel Be Unto You

sha...@my-deja.com

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99
You have more willpower than me. Thankfully, the prof and I actually
had a pretty good relationship. He'd had me in classes before, and
knew I was a "troublemaker". That is, he knew if he brought something
up in class he'd better have scrupulous documentation, because I would
take him to task on it. He expected no less from me. Of course, I do
have a problem keeping my mouth shut...
In article <rvamdn...@corp.supernews.com>,

Don Whittington

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99
In article <7t2nau$nnf$1...@newssvr02.news.prodigy.com>, "K. D."
<flowrchi...@prodigy.net> wrote:

Well, if it's on a web page it must be true. Golly.

Nevertheless, UTA remains the University of Texas at Arlinton as Oliver stated.

But believe what you want. You always do.

Don "because your best friend twice removed attended etc..." Whittington

--
"Aside from its unscientificaliness, it has destroyed my faith
in my fellow man. (My fellow women are still faithable.)"

Medieval Knievel

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99

Don Whittington <dun...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Nevertheless, UTA remains the University of Texas at Arlinton as Oliver
stated.

Nonetheless, in Texas and surrounding states, it is commonly referred to as
University of Texas at Austin for the sake of clarity, rather than some
pedantic sense of correctness. Whether or not the abbreviation UTA refers
to some other university is kind of beside the point, as I abbreviated as
such simply for the sake of brevity. Having given the full name in the
original post along with the abbreviation, I think the reference to the
Austin campus would have been clear, the obsessive-compulsive nature of many
AFUers not withstanding.
--
May the Peace of Medieval Knievel Be Unto You

Olivers

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99
sha...@my-deja.com wrote:

> You have more willpower than me. Thankfully, the prof and I actually
> had a pretty good relationship. He'd had me in classes before, and
> knew I was a "troublemaker". That is, he knew if he brought something
> up in class he'd better have scrupulous documentation, because I would
> take him to task on it.

The emergence of "profs" as the most frequent vectors for ULs seems well
established in 'merkin society. No group is so far removed from the
real world and the harsh, cold debunking which occurs in the
marketplace (or after you've left with your purchase and discover the
extent to which you'been screwed). Secure in their ivory towers,
normally attended only by crowds of grade dependent abject toadies or
tenure dependent fawning sycophants, their compendium of knowlege
usually antiquated, outdated or so subject-limited as to embarass them
when allowed to wander in public places, we probably wouldn't have ULs,
if there were no profs.

Will Elliott

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99
In article <rvc3o8...@corp.supernews.com>, "Medieval Knievel"
<smell_...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

> Don Whittington <dun...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>
> > Nevertheless, UTA remains the University of Texas at Arlinton as Oliver
> stated.
>
> Nonetheless, in Texas and surrounding states, it is commonly referred to as
> University of Texas at Austin for the sake of clarity, rather than some
> pedantic sense of correctness.

It may be referred to as the University of Texas at Austin, but it is
abbreviated UT, UTA being used for the Arlington campus.

> Having given the full name in the
> original post along with the abbreviation, I think the reference to the
> Austin campus would have been clear, the obsessive-compulsive nature of many
> AFUers not withstanding.

Nothing is more obsessive-compulsive than AFU Texas-style. Just start a
barbeque thread and see what happens.

Will "Tindall-baiting can be fun" Elliott

Medieval Knievel

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99

Will Elliott <wmel...@express-news.net> wrote in message

> Nothing is more obsessive-compulsive than AFU Texas-style. Just start a
> barbeque thread and see what happens.

As in " do you brush sauce on meat as it cooks, or is the sauce used as a
condiment on the side of the plate?"

Medieval Knievel

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99

Olivers <ol...@calpha.com> wrote in message

> The emergence of "profs" as the most frequent vectors for ULs seems well
> established in 'merkin society.

In my life as a professional student, I've found that profs do it at about
half the rate of high school history teachers, who'd get my vote as MFV's.

Gerald Belton

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99
On Sat, 2 Oct 1999 17:55:16 -0500, "Medieval Knievel"
<smell_...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

>Will Elliott <wmel...@express-news.net> wrote in message
>
>> Nothing is more obsessive-compulsive than AFU Texas-style. Just start a
>> barbeque thread and see what happens.
>
>As in " do you brush sauce on meat as it cooks, or is the sauce used as a
>condiment on the side of the plate?"

You're getting ahead of yourself. First you have to decide what kind
of meat you're going to cook.

Gerald "I vote for Pork" Belton

Jim Skillman

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99
Will Elliott wrote:

> Nothing is more obsessive-compulsive than AFU Texas-style. Just start a
> barbeque thread and see what happens.
>

> Will "Tindall-baiting can be fun" Elliott

There is this constantly circulating UL here in Georgia that Texans actually
barbeque BEEF, but some of the locals tried doing it once and my god you've never
bit into anything so bad which is how we figured out someone was pulling our
leg(s).

--jim

Medieval Knievel

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99

Gerald Belton <gbe...@interpath.com> wrote in message

> You're getting ahead of yourself. First you have to decide what kind
> of meat you're going to cook.

Meat? I'm much more interested in whether or not it's true that a) you must
go down to the ghetto-ish part of town and find a place with a hand-painted
sign in order to find the best barbecue in town, and b) if that piece or two
of Wonderbread (which is always served with your meal at the afore-mentioned
barbecue stands) is meant to be eaten or is for wiping your hands and mouth.
--
May the Peace of Medieval "death before Wonderbread" Knievel Be Unto You

Karen J. Cravens

Oct 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/3/99
gbe...@interpath.com (Gerald Belton) wrote in
<37f69617....@news.interpath.net>:

>You're getting ahead of yourself. First you have to decide what kind
>of meat you're going to cook.

You do?

--
Karen "never met a meat you couldn't barbecue" Cravens

Ian Munro

Oct 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/3/99
Olivers <ol...@calpha.com> wrote:
> The emergence of "profs" as the most frequent vectors for ULs seems well
> established in 'merkin society. No group is so far removed from the
> real world and the harsh, cold debunking which occurs in the
> marketplace (or after you've left with your purchase and discover the
> extent to which you'been screwed). Secure in their ivory towers,
> normally attended only by crowds of grade dependent abject toadies or
> tenure dependent fawning sycophants, their compendium of knowlege
> usually antiquated, outdated or so subject-limited as to embarass them
> when allowed to wander in public places, we probably wouldn't have ULs,
> if there were no profs.

Damn, that sounds like fun. How do you hook up a gig like that?

Ian "and how come there are so many academics on afu?" Munro
--
"It isn't a 'line of reasoning'; it's a squiggle of flawed analysis and
erroneous conclusion."--Paraic O'Donnell

Karen J. Cravens

Oct 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/3/99
smell_...@NOSPAMhotmail.com (Medieval Knievel) wrote in
<rvdg2t...@corp.supernews.com>:

>Meat? I'm much more interested in whether or not it's true that a) you
>must go down to the ghetto-ish part of town and find a place with a hand

>-painted sign in order to find the best barbecue in town, and b) if that

>piece or two of Wonderbread (which is always served with your meal at
>the afore-mentioned barbecue stands) is meant to be eaten or is for
>wiping your hands and mouth. --

"a" is not entirely true, at least around here. Rather than looking for a
hand-painted sign, you just read the newspaper. They post the local
restaurant inspection ratings (should you ever find yourself in a
Wichita/Sedgwick County/Kansas (not sure how "local" this "local law" is)
restaurant and see a green letter-size card with a big "A" on it, that's
the rating. They're supposed to be prominently displayed regardless of the
rating, but somehow you never see a big yellow(?) "B" or red(?) "C"
anywhere) in the newspaper and several other places... we get it at the
office in the little faxnews critter, which by the way is a wonderful UL
vector in its strange-news snippets, although the headline is usually
phrased in such a way that it indicates skepticism on the part of the
editor.

Look for the "C" ratings. They'll have a hand-painted sign. And you're
supposed to crumble up the Wonderbread and toss bits to the roaches, I'm
pretty sure.

--
Karen J. Cravens sil...@phoenyx.net
The Dog Ate My Sketchbook: http://silver.phoenyx.net/

Freakamouse

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
>Meat? I'm much more interested in whether or not it's true that a) you must
>go down to the ghetto-ish part of town and find a place with a hand-painted
>sign in order to find the best barbecue in town

Of course.

>b) if that piece or two
>of Wonderbread (which is always served with your meal at the afore-mentioned
>barbecue stands) is meant to be eaten or is for wiping your hands and mouth.

As it was used in medieval times, it is used now. It is for sopping up the
grease and is eaten with the meat. You use paper towels to wipe off your
hands, or your blue jeans.

-Amanda "jeez!" Marcotte

Amy Elizabeth Gleason

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
(Unrelated to previous post, related to subject.)

Speaking of institutions of higher learning vectoring UL's, I saw a
flyer on a bulliten board in Heavilin Hall (the place where the English
Department lives at Purdue University) warning people not to flash their
lights at motorists driving with their lights off, because of the whole
gang initiation UL. I resisted the urge to get out my red pen and
write:

CITE YOUR SOURCES - THIS IS AN URBAN LEGEND! IF YOU HAD RESEARCHED
BEFORE TRYING TO CAUSE MASS, WIDESPREAD PANIC, YOU WOULD HAVE KNOWN
THIS!

all over it...

Signal & more signal,
Amy Gleason

Olivers

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
Sheutt! As long as men wore long sleeved shirts, we had no need for
them effete napkins/paper towels.

Pretentious BBQ joints have a vertical wooden pole in the middle of the
table 'pon which to impale the paper towel roll. Real joints just let
the roll wallow around on the table or floor(and its always generic or
at best "Coronet").

Barbecue is best served on butcher paper and the best of it needs no
sauce at all, however raw onions and dill pickles go well. Old timers
prefer an addition to the classic beef brisket, the "Hot Link", used to
create the famed East Texas version of a hot dog, the "Rollup", a hot
link rolled in a slice of WonderBread or equiv.

Only certain beverages may be served in haute cuising BBQ joints.
Sweetened tea is obligatory, but Dr. Pepper, RC, Big Red, a decent root
beer and at least one orange soda pop, all in bottles, will keep more
effete snobs happy.

Shiner Bock, brewed as a grease cutter to drink with smoked sausage is
acceptable for those whose palates are tuned for a drier beverage.

No utensils, not even plastic, are provided at better BBQ joints, but
its alright to use a boot or belt knife to split the last piece of light
bread.

sha...@my-deja.com

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
In article <37F90944...@calpha.com>,
I agree with some dissention. I like sauce. But, that's a personal
thing. Shiner Bock is the only beer to drink with barbecue. I don't
think Big Red is available outside of Texas (which is probably good,
because I think it's foul). I do not see any discussion here on the
potato salad/cole slaw/bar-b-q beans v. rice/ranch style beans front. I
for one think it is sacrelige to serve anything but tater salad and
baked/bar-b-q beans with barbecue. San Antonians would beg to differ.

Medieval Knievel

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99

<sha...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

<snippage>

I don't
> think Big Red is available outside of Texas (which is probably good,
> because I think it's foul

It is sold north of the red river, and it is foul. It is also the exact
same red color as Old English furniture polish. Hmmm.

--
May the Peace of Medieval Knievel Be Unto You

brigid nelson

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
"Karen J. Cravens" wrote:

> ol...@calpha.com (Olivers) wrote in <37F90944...@calpha.com>:

> >Barbecue is best served on butcher paper and the best of it needs no
> >sauce at all, however raw onions and dill pickles go well. Old timers
> >prefer an addition to the classic beef brisket, the "Hot Link", used to
> >create the famed East Texas version of a hot dog, the "Rollup", a hot
> >link rolled in a slice of WonderBread or equiv.
>
> You forgot the sides often (but not always) found therewith: "baked beans"
> (usu. with enough brisket scraps and spices to make what lesser
> establishments would call chili, and altogether unlike what folks Back East
> think of as either "baked beans" *or* "chili"). Cole slaw, similarly
> dissimilar (shredded cabbage, poppy seeds(?), and just enough dressing to
> be noticed). French fries are a warning sign - potatoes go in salad, if
> you have to have them.

If you're not getting greens (with spicy vinegar dressing) and black eye
peas, you're not getting barbeque. If you can breath and eat the hot
barbeque sauce at the same time, you're not eating hot barbeque. And
what's with this white bread thing. Everyone knows that you get
*corn*bread with barbeque.

> >Only certain beverages may be served in haute cuising BBQ joints.
> >Sweetened tea is obligatory, but Dr. Pepper, RC, Big Red, a decent root
> >beer and at least one orange soda pop, all in bottles, will keep more
> >effete snobs happy.

Bottomless iced tea, please.

And for desert, marion berry cobbler or lemon merangue pie.

brigid "porkribs, beefribs, or brisket, oh my!" nelson

Karen J. Cravens

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99

>Barbecue is best served on butcher paper and the best of it needs no
>sauce at all, however raw onions and dill pickles go well. Old timers
>prefer an addition to the classic beef brisket, the "Hot Link", used to
>create the famed East Texas version of a hot dog, the "Rollup", a hot
>link rolled in a slice of WonderBread or equiv.

You forgot the sides often (but not always) found therewith: "baked beans"
(usu. with enough brisket scraps and spices to make what lesser
establishments would call chili, and altogether unlike what folks Back East
think of as either "baked beans" *or* "chili"). Cole slaw, similarly
dissimilar (shredded cabbage, poppy seeds(?), and just enough dressing to
be noticed). French fries are a warning sign - potatoes go in salad, if
you have to have them.

>Only certain beverages may be served in haute cuising BBQ joints.

>Sweetened tea is obligatory, but Dr. Pepper, RC, Big Red, a decent root
>beer and at least one orange soda pop, all in bottles, will keep more
>effete snobs happy.

Bottles? Must be a regional thing... up yar, it's invariably a big glass-
fronted cooler full of cans of Carbonated Misc., generally located
somewhere in the dining area, self-serve, on your honor. (I suspect that
it's a fire code thing, since I have witnessed an incident at Pit wherein a
customer made a dive for the cooler and slammed an entire can of whatever
was closest to hand without taking a breath. Willie didn't have a set
recipe for his sauces, and some days he got carried away.)

Aside: In an interesting bit of synchronicity, the local paper just ran an
article on the health rating system
(http://www.wichitaeagle.com/news/local/restaurants/trouble1003.htm), which
clarified a few things I wasn't sure of in an earlier post. The letter
cards are pictured, and are in fact red, yellow and green. (Used to was,
the "A" cards had the letter embossed in gold foil. First time I saw a
non-embossed one, I wondered if it was forged.) And it's a city
regulation. And, of course, what gets mentioned on the cover article? A
Chinese restaurant and a barbecue joint.

--
Karen "no spitting" Cravens sil...@phoenyx.net

Phil Edwards

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
On Sat, 2 Oct 1999 17:57:40 -0500, "Medieval Knievel"
<smell_...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

>Olivers <ol...@calpha.com> wrote in message
>

>> The emergence of "profs" as the most frequent vectors for ULs seems well
>> established in 'merkin society.
>

>In my life as a professional student, I've found that profs do it at about
>half the rate of high school history teachers, who'd get my vote as MFV's.

The guy who's teaching me Social Research Methodology (an MA-level
course, taken as a supplement to doctoral research) vectored the
_Literary Digest_ story the other evening, & asked if anyone could
suggest why they'd got the result wrong. Swot that I am, I gave the
accepted explanation *and* said it had been debunked - I'd forgotten
how early it was debunked, though. Next week I'm taking an apple.

Phil
"http://www.urbanlegends.com/politics/landon_beats_roosevelt.html"
Edwards
--
Phil Edwards http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/amroth/
"I'm incredible enough without anybody's bothersome antics."

Karen J. Cravens

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
irja...@teleport.com (brigid nelson) wrote in
<37F96D1E...@teleport.com>:

>If you're not getting greens (with spicy vinegar dressing) and black eye
>peas, you're not getting barbeque. If you can breath and eat the hot
>barbeque sauce at the same time, you're not eating hot barbeque. And
>what's with this white bread thing. Everyone knows that you get
>*corn*bread with barbeque.

Not with Texas style barbecue, which is the preferred mode in Kansas
(south-central, at least, never mind the fact that KC has its own style of
barbecue). Greens and cornbread and stuff go with chicken fried steak, and
that's a whole different thread (not that this has much to do with kidneys,
but you gotta draw the line at drift *somewhere*).

>And for desert, marion berry cobbler or lemon merangue pie.

Nonono. If you're going to have dessert, it's something like... uh... hmm.
I don't think any barbecue places I can think of *serve* dessert. Except
if you happen to be friends with the owner and arrange a smoked apple pie
or something.

--
Karen "not a la mode, neither" Cravens

H Gilmer

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
Karen J. Cravens <silve...@phoenyx.net> wrote:

[regarding Texas-style barbecue]

> Nonono. If you're going to have dessert, it's something like... uh... hmm.
> I don't think any barbecue places I can think of *serve* dessert.

Rice pudding with nilla wafers in it.

Hg

Karen J. Cravens

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
gil...@io.com (H Gilmer) wrote in <7te9ic$gd1$1...@hiram.io.com>:

>Rice pudding with nilla wafers in it.

Hmm, you may be right. I tend to ignore that since I don't like either
one.

--
Karen "I'm not from Texas, so it's okay" Cravens

Dutch Courage

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
(Karen J. Cravens) writes:

>Nonono. If you're going to have dessert, it's something like... uh... hmm.

>I don't think any barbecue places I can think of *serve* dessert. Except
>if you happen to be friends with the owner and arrange a smoked apple pie
>or something.

Sweet potato pie always worked for me.

"There is no land beyond the law, where tyrants rule with unshakable power.
It is but a dream from which the evil wake to face their fate, their
terrifying hour."
-Wesley Dodds.

Dutch Courage

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
H Gilmer gil...@io.com writes:

>Rice pudding with nilla wafers in it.

Or banana pudding with Nilla wafers.

Karen J. Cravens

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
hpstr...@aol.commissar (Dutch Courage) wrote in
<19991006024935...@ng-fc1.aol.com>:

>>Nonono. If you're going to have dessert, it's something like... uh...
>>hmm. I don't think any barbecue places I can think of *serve* dessert.
>>Except if you happen to be friends with the owner and arrange a smoked
>>apple pie or something.
>
>Sweet potato pie always worked for me.

Culturally, yes... but I haven't yet encountered it in a barbecue
*restaurant* setting.

--
Karen "now I gotta fire up the smoker *and* the oven" Cravens

Dutch Courage

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
silve...@phoenyx.net (Karen J. Cravens) writes:

>hpstr...@aol.commissar (Dutch Courage) wrote in
><19991006024935...@ng-fc1.aol.com>:
>
>>>Nonono. If you're going to have dessert, it's something like... uh...
>>>hmm. I don't think any barbecue places I can think of *serve* dessert.
>>>Except if you happen to be friends with the owner and arrange a smoked
>>>apple pie or something.
>>
>>Sweet potato pie always worked for me.
>
>Culturally, yes... but I haven't yet encountered it in a barbecue
>*restaurant* setting.

C. Staples does, and The Pit used to, have it on the menu here in Youngstown,
Ohio. TWIAVHP. Just the thing after a hard night against the terrible gin
surplus.

sha...@my-deja.com

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
In article <7te9ic$gd1$1...@hiram.io.com>,

H Gilmer <gil...@io.com> wrote:
> Karen J. Cravens <silve...@phoenyx.net> wrote:
>

> Rice pudding with nilla wafers in it.
>

> Hg

No, no, no! Banana pudding with nilla wafers!

Andrea Jones

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99

Karen J. Cravens wrote in message <8E574DD5...@news.southwind.net>...

>hpstr...@aol.commissar (Dutch Courage) wrote in
><19991006024935...@ng-fc1.aol.com>:
>
>>>Nonono. If you're going to have dessert, it's something like... uh...
>>>hmm. I don't think any barbecue places I can think of *serve* dessert.
>>>Except if you happen to be friends with the owner and arrange a smoked
>>>apple pie or something.
>>
>>Sweet potato pie always worked for me.
>
>Culturally, yes... but I haven't yet encountered it in a barbecue
>*restaurant* setting.
I seem to recall that Kansas City Barbecue here in San Diego[1] will serve
you sweet potato pie for dessert, but since I'm always too full to think
about desert when I'm done eating there, I really can't say for certain.

Of course, they also put sauce on their barbecue, but usually not enough to
adulterate it so badly it's inedible. Available sliced (more like what
those in western Kentucky call "pulled," that is just picked off the bone
and broken up into small pieces) or as ribs.

Andrea "Almost but not quite as good as Starnes Barbecue[2]" Jones

[1] A mildly famous, smoky dive of a barbecue restaurant and bar. A few of
the scenes from the movie _Top Gun_, including the one with the piano and
the one at the end featuring the jukebox, were filmed there. The jukebox,
however, is currently out of order. The piano is not.

[2] In Paducah, Kentucky, USA. I highly recommend stopping in for a
sandwich while if you're ever in the area. The bread for the sandwich is,
of course, two pieces of Wonderbread.

sha...@my-deja.com

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
In article <37F6BADD...@bellsouth.net>,
I can confirm that UL. Beef brisket. I find it foul and tough, even if
you marinate it for 6 months. I grew up with good ole pork bbq. Then
again, Texans serve their bbq with pinto beans and rice.

Lee Rudolph

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
>Andrea "Almost but not quite as good as Starnes Barbecue[2]" Jones

>[2] In Paducah, Kentucky, USA. I highly recommend stopping in for a
>sandwich while if you're ever in the area. The bread for the sandwich is,
>of course, two pieces of Wonderbread.

And the barbecue pit is lined with plutonium waste?

Lee "barbePu" Rudolph

Medieval Knievel

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99

Dutch Courage <hpstr...@aol.commissar> wrote in message

> Or banana pudding with Nilla wafers.

Chunks of banana or not?

I have this great cookbook called "The White Trash Cookbook." Lots of
recipes tht call for jello and coca-cola.

Gerald Belton

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
On Wed, 6 Oct 1999 12:10:37 -0500, "Medieval Knievel"
<smell_...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

>I have this great cookbook called "The White Trash Cookbook." Lots of
>recipes tht call for jello and coca-cola.

My favorite is "White trash chicken." Open a 12-oz can of beer.
Drink half of it. Pour a spoonful of crab boil into the can, and
stuff in a chopped onion and a few garlic cloves.

Stand the can in the middle of a baking pan. Stick a chicken on the
can, so that the open end is in the chicken's body cavity. The chicken
now sort of looks like it is standing on the baking pan. Bake at 350
degrees (F) for about an hour, if I remember correctly.

Delicious. And totally bizzarre to serve.

Speaking of Jello and Coca-Cola, try making cherry Jello with
Coca-cola substituted for half the water.

Gerald "mmm, Jello" Belton

brigid nelson

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
Andrea Jones wrote:

> Karen J. Cravens wrote in message <8E574DD5...@news.southwind.net>...
> >hpstr...@aol.commissar (Dutch Courage) wrote in
> Andrea "Almost but not quite as good as Starnes Barbecue[2]" Jones
>
> [1] A mildly famous, smoky dive of a barbecue restaurant and bar. A few of
> the scenes from the movie _Top Gun_, including the one with the piano and
> the one at the end featuring the jukebox, were filmed there. The jukebox,
> however, is currently out of order. The piano is not.
>
> [2] In Paducah, Kentucky, USA. I highly recommend stopping in for a
> sandwich while if you're ever in the area. The bread for the sandwich is,
> of course, two pieces of Wonderbread.

Andrea, if you get to Portland you have *got* to go to Campbell's.

Who do we have to talk to to get you assigned to a ship that's part of
the Rose Festival Fleet.

brigid " I usually avoid the sailors during the rose vegitable season,
but perhaps I could make an exception" nelson

Karen J. Cravens

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
<19991006103646...@ng-fl1.aol.com>:

> C. Staples does, and The Pit used to, have it on the menu here in
> Youngstown,
>Ohio. TWIAVHP. Just the thing after a hard night against the terrible
>gin surplus.

In Ohio? Whodathunkit?

In the name of research, I went to Fat Daddy and the Old Woman BBQ, best
joint in town (since Pit and Jet are closed, at least, and maybe even
then), and confirmed it. No dessert, unless you want to special-order a
smoked pie. Or unless you count the rolls of breathmints and whatnot by
the cash register.

(Probably do a brisk bidness in those, being as how the best thing on the
menu is the secret-recipe German garlic sausage which, smoked and on garlic
toast with plenty of hot sauce, would take at least a full roll of Wint-O-
Green to overcome.)

--
Karen "fogging up the CRT" Cravens

Karen J. Cravens

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
aegi...@email.msn.com (Andrea Jones) wrote in
<eRFWnxAE$GA.240@cpmsnbbsa02>:

>I seem to recall that Kansas City Barbecue here in San Diego[1] will
>serve you sweet potato pie for dessert, but since I'm always too full to
>think about desert when I'm done eating there, I really can't say for
>certain.

Kansas City barbecue is different from Texas barbecue, and the latter is
what we mostly have around here. Apparently.

>Of course, they also put sauce on their barbecue, but usually not enough
>to adulterate it so badly it's inedible. Available sliced (more like
>what those in western Kentucky call "pulled," that is just picked off
>the bone and broken up into small pieces) or as ribs.

Down in NW Arkansas last month, I visited a little barbecue place. (Uncle
Jay's, on 71B in Bentonville. They rent their extra parking spaces to Wal-
Mart employees, being caddy-corner from World HQ.) They got points for
playing good blues on the outdoor speakers, but lost them when it wasn't
playing inside. Of course, it was the first Razorbacks home game, so it
gets excused as a regional oddity (at least no one yelled "WOO BIG SOOEY"
while I was there).

At any rate, it was new and none of us had been there before, so Mom asked
what kind of "pork" that was on the menu... was it pulled? No, the kid
behind the counter said, it was sliced. It was, as you have described,
pulled, much to our amusement. Dialectical variations, apparently.

--
Karen "not sure if it came from a red pig" Cravens

Karen J. Cravens

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
<37fb8a04....@news.interpath.net>:

>Delicious. And totally bizzarre to serve.

Not as weird as dishwasher fish. I think that comes from a bachelor
cookbook rather than a white trash one, though.

>Speaking of Jello and Coca-Cola, try making cherry Jello with
>Coca-cola substituted for half the water.

Or with Water Joe[1].

--
Karen "what's that buzzing noise?" Cravens sil...@phoenyx.net

[1] Water with deflavored (supposedly) caffeine. The possibilities are
endless.

wa...@iinet.net.au

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
"Medieval Knievel" wrote:

> I have this great cookbook called "The White Trash Cookbook." Lots of
> recipes tht call for jello and coca-cola.

The 'Gallery of Regrettable Food', one of my favourite webpages:
http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/

Searching desperately for UL content, I found a page with a picture
purporting to be "CHILLED MONKEY BRAINS!!!"
http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/poultry/index6.html

Lara 'chicken with melted peach crayon sauce' Hoksnip

H Gilmer

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
sha...@my-deja.com wrote:
> In article <7te9ic$gd1$1...@hiram.io.com>,
> H Gilmer <gil...@io.com> wrote:

>> Rice pudding with nilla wafers in it.
>>

> No, no, no! Banana pudding with nilla wafers!

Yeah, you're right. I couldn't decide which one, went with the wrong one.

Hg

Lee Rudolph

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
silve...@phoenyx.net (Karen J. Cravens) writes:

>aegi...@email.msn.com (Andrea Jones) wrote in
><eRFWnxAE$GA.240@cpmsnbbsa02>:

>>Available sliced (more like
>>what those in western Kentucky call "pulled," that is just picked off
>>the bone and broken up into small pieces) or as ribs.

>At any rate, it was new and none of us had been there before, so Mom asked
>what kind of "pork" that was on the menu... was it pulled? No, the kid
>behind the counter said, it was sliced. It was, as you have described,
>pulled, much to our amusement. Dialectical variations, apparently.

Nah, "dialectical variation" is more like "push *and* pull". (Right,
Phil?) It's materially different from "dialectal variation".

Lee "and isn't this whole thread skating mighty close to religion by now?"
Rudolph

Andrea Jones

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99

brigid nelson wrote in message <37FBB6BE...@teleport.com>...

>Andrea Jones wrote:
>>
>> Karen J. Cravens wrote in message
<8E574DD5...@news.southwind.net>...
>> >hpstr...@aol.commissar (Dutch Courage) wrote in
>> Andrea "Almost but not quite as good as Starnes Barbecue[2]" Jones
>>
>> [1] A mildly famous, smoky dive of a barbecue restaurant and bar. A few
of
>> the scenes from the movie _Top Gun_, including the one with the piano and
>> the one at the end featuring the jukebox, were filmed there. The
jukebox,
>> however, is currently out of order. The piano is not.
>>
>> [2] In Paducah, Kentucky, USA. I highly recommend stopping in for a
>> sandwich while if you're ever in the area. The bread for the sandwich
is,
>> of course, two pieces of Wonderbread.
>
>Andrea, if you get to Portland you have *got* to go to Campbell's.
>
>Who do we have to talk to to get you assigned to a ship that's part of
>the Rose Festival Fleet.

You can start with the Secretary of the Navy, Richard Danzig, work your way
up to William Cohen, Secretary of Defense, and if _that_ doesn't work, a
letter to my ultimate boss, Mr. Clinton, should probably do the trick.

>brigid " I usually avoid the sailors during the rose vegitable season,
>but perhaps I could make an exception" nelson

Bah, sailors are fun people! Really we are! We can't help it if we get a
little...ah, exuberant... when they let us off the big ugly grey boats.
You'd be happy, too!

Andrea "Of course, even big ugly grey boats are preferable to boring as hell
shore duty" Jones

Phil Edwards

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
On 7 Oct 1999 07:34:11 -0400, lrud...@panix.com (Lee Rudolph) wrote:

>silve...@phoenyx.net (Karen J. Cravens) writes:
>
>>No, the kid
>>behind the counter said, it was sliced. It was, as you have described,
>>pulled, much to our amusement. Dialectical variations, apparently.
>
>Nah, "dialectical variation" is more like "push *and* pull". (Right,
>Phil?)

The opposition between push and pull is at once preserved and annulled
by the transcendence of both terms, that's what I say.

>Lee "and isn't this whole thread skating mighty close to religion by now?"
>Rudolph

Phil "beats pork" Edwards

replace nospam with utdallas for correct e-mail

Oct 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/8/99
Oliver, did you go to Texas A&M University? You just precisely
described one of my favorite BBQ places in College Station. With the
minor exception of a big hunk of cheese served with the onions and
pickles and a steak knife for slicing the aforementioned cheese.

On Mon, 04 Oct 1999 15:08:36 -0500, Olivers <ol...@calpha.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

>Barbecue is best served on butcher paper and the best of it needs no
>sauce at all, however raw onions and dill pickles go well. Old timers
>prefer an addition to the classic beef brisket, the "Hot Link", used to
>create the famed East Texas version of a hot dog, the "Rollup", a hot
>link rolled in a slice of WonderBread or equiv.

<SNIP>
>No utensils, not even plastic, are provided at better BBQ joints, but
>its alright to use a boot or belt knife to split the last piece of light
>bread.
<SNIP>
DISCLAIMER: I speak for myself and no one else.

Olivers

Oct 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/9/99
replace nospam with utdallas for correct e-mail wrote:

> Oliver, did you go to Texas A&M University? You just precisely
> described one of my favorite BBQ places in College Station. With the
> minor exception of a big hunk of cheese served with the onions and
> pickles and a steak knife for slicing the aforementioned cheese.
>
> On Mon, 04 Oct 1999 15:08:36 -0500, Olivers <ol...@calpha.com> wrote:
> <SNIP>
> >
> >Barbecue is best served on butcher paper and the best of it needs no
> >sauce at all, however raw onions and dill pickles go well. Old timers
> >prefer an addition to the classic beef brisket, the "Hot Link", used to
> >create the famed East Texas version of a hot dog, the "Rollup", a hot
> >link rolled in a slice of WonderBread or equiv.
> <SNIP>
> >No utensils, not even plastic, are provided at better BBQ joints, but
> >its alright to use a boot or belt knife to split the last piece of light
> >bread.
> <SNIP>

All these swarmy bogtrotting ijits discussing salad dressing and
puddin'... Barbecue may be accompanied by beans (in case of a meat
shortage), but aside from the obligatory light bread, pickles and
onions, all else are but cosmetic remedies for bad barbecue. If I want
banana puddin', a noble dish, I'll fix up a gallon or so, and have it.
As for rice puddin', "Spotted Dog" is best reserved as windup for more
delicate entrees. Corn Bread? Corn bread with barbecue is like unto
biscuits with chile, a heretical and schismatic offense against good
order and polite society. Now, I do subscribe to an occasional gut
buster, the notable "grease cutter" lunch, cornbread (white cornmeal,
unaddled by sugar), a bowl of homemade chili (un-degreased), and a quart
of buttermilk, although I'm not a "crumbler", one who breaks up the
cornbread into the buttermilk.

I am no Aggie, although my grandaddy was ('98[1898 that is]), along with
my youngest daughter ('95), and I codonored Governor Ross's desk to
Aggieland, but was reared among the fleshpots and barbecue joints of the
"Great Brisket and Sausage Trail", the Tscherman-Czech belt which
extends from Penelope, Abbott and West Station down 77, the Drovers'
Route, by Heidenheimer, Taylor, Elgin, Columbus, Halletsville,
Schulenberg, around Shiner and on up to Fbourg, and do break bread (to
wipe the grease off my chin) in College Station now and again.
--
Olivers/SWRSO
"When you waltz across Texas,
The beer tastes better at closing time."

Medieval Knievel

Oct 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/9/99

Olivers <ol...@calpha.com> wrote in message

Corn Bread? Corn bread with barbecue is like unto

> biscuits with chile, a heretical and schismatic offense against good
> order and polite society.

An inquisition would be in order.

although I'm not a "crumbler", one who breaks up the
> cornbread into the buttermilk.

I've heard of this practice, but have not seen it. I suspect that it
happens further East than TX/OK. If you did such a thing around here, you'd
incur an old-fashioned Oklahoma tail-whuppin' for wastin' cornbread.

H Gilmer

Oct 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/9/99
Olivers <ol...@calpha.com> wrote:

> All these swarmy bogtrotting ijits discussing salad dressing and
> puddin'... Barbecue may be accompanied by beans (in case of a meat
> shortage), but aside from the obligatory light bread, pickles and
> onions, all else are but cosmetic remedies for bad barbecue.

Salad has no place with barbecue, but what, no cole slaw? Gotta have
the cole slaw. And a different kind of cole slaw for each kind of
meat.

Hg

brigid nelson

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
Olivers wrote:

> replace nospam with utdallas for correct e-mail wrote:
>
> All these swarmy bogtrotting ijits discussing salad dressing and
> puddin'... Barbecue may be accompanied by beans (in case of a meat
> shortage), but aside from the obligatory light bread, pickles and
> onions, all else are but cosmetic remedies for bad barbecue. Servers ==-----

Don't take it out on me ifn' y'all ain't got no soul-food barbeque down
those parts.
Jus' come on 'roun' here and we'll show you were it's at!

brigid "what - you ain't never seen a white woman eat hot barbeque?"
nelson

Don Whittington

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
In article <37FF3D07...@calpha.com>, Olivers <ol...@calpha.com> wrote:

although I'm not a "crumbler", one who breaks up the
> cornbread into the buttermilk.

Just watch your ass, Ollie. First of all, it ain't just buttermilk but
any milk, capice? Second, it is nature's most perfect food, particularly
since the microwave now makes it possible to always use hot cornbread with
ice cold milk.

The fact that most of the world does not know of this god-food does not
make it less marvelous. Brian Yeoh would faint if it were properly
presented.

Don "In a Flintstones jelly glass" Whittington

--
"Aside from its unscientificaliness, it has destroyed my faith
in my fellow man. (My fellow women are still faithable.)"
--Timothy A. McDaniel on the state of the poll

Olivers

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
Don Whittington wrote:

> In article <37FF3D07...@calpha.com>, Olivers <ol...@calpha.com> wrote:
>
> although I'm not a "crumbler", one who breaks up the
> > cornbread into the buttermilk.
>
> Just watch your ass, Ollie. First of all, it ain't just buttermilk but
> any milk, capice? Second, it is nature's most perfect food, particularly
> since the microwave now makes it possible to always use hot cornbread with
> ice cold milk.
>
> The fact that most of the world does not know of this god-food does not
> make it less marvelous. Brian Yeoh would faint if it were properly
> presented.
>
> Don "In a Flintstones jelly glass" Whittington

No, no, no, villify me not...

Crumbling cornbead in sweet milk is something else, permitted in the
best of homes, especially if prebuttered and accompanied with sorghum or
cane syrup (or homemade guava jelly in Centra Florida's few remaining
rural farm villages)...

--
Olivers/SWRSO
"When you waltz across Texas,

the beer tastes better at closing time."

Karen J. Cravens

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
ol...@calpha.com (Olivers) wrote in <3801F514...@calpha.com>:

>Crumbling cornbead in sweet milk is something else, permitted in the
>best of homes, especially if prebuttered and accompanied with sorghum or
>cane syrup (or homemade guava jelly in Centra Florida's few remaining
>rural farm villages)...

I thought you were supposed to crumble cornbread into ham'n'beans.

And Brian *has* been strangely silent during this thread.

--
Karen "but then, I'm a Yankee" Cravens sil...@phoenyx.net

Edward Rice

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
In article <duncow-1110...@user-33qsc0a.dialup.mindspring.com>,
dun...@mindspring.com (Don Whittington) wrote:

> The fact that most of the world does not know of this god-food does not
> make it less marvelous. Brian Yeoh would faint if it were properly
> presented.
>
> Don "In a Flintstones jelly glass" Whittington

From what I've heard, he wouldn't fit in. Not even close.