anyone got phone numbers for Oregon DOT?

danny burstein

Dec 11, 2023, 8:47:46 PM12/11/23
(anyone still here?)

[Associated Press]

52-foot-long dead fin whale washes up on San Diego beach; cause
of death unclear

San Diego - 52-foot-long (16-meter-long) dead fin whale washed up on a
San Diego beach over the weekend and officials said there was no obvious
sign of the cause of death.
====
rest:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/52-foot-long-dead-fin-whale-washes-up-on-san-diego-beach-cause-of-death-unclear/ar-AA1lll7k

dan...@panix.com

Mark Shaw

Dec 11, 2023, 9:27:50 PM12/11/23
danny burstein <dan...@panix.com> wrote:
> (anyone still here?)

> [Associated Press]

> 52-foot-long dead fin whale washes up on San Diego beach; cause
> of death unclear

He was sent to swim with the beach apes.

--
Mark Shaw moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"Anyway, we delivered the bomb."

Thomas Prufer

Dec 12, 2023, 1:44:05 AM12/12/23
Yes, and IJLS "whale fall"*. And "chemoautotrophic whale-fall community".

Thomas Prufer

* "From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A whale fall occurs when the carcass of a whale has fallen onto the ocean floor
at a depth greater than 1,000 m (3,300 ft), in the bathyal or abyssal zones.[1]
On the sea floor, these carcasses can create complex localized ecosystems that
supply sustenance to deep-sea organisms for decades.[1] This is unlike in
shallower waters, where a whale carcass will be consumed by scavengers over a
relatively short period of time. Whale falls were first observed in the late
1970s with the development of deep-sea robotic exploration.[2] Since then,
several natural and experimental whale falls have been monitored[1][3] through
the use of observations from submersibles and remotely operated underwater
vehicles (ROVs) in order to understand patterns of ecological succession on the
deep seafloor.[4]

Don Freeman

Dec 14, 2023, 4:40:21 PM12/14/23
On 12/11/2023 6:47 PM, danny burstein wrote:
> (anyone still here?)
>
> [Associated Press]
>
> 52-foot-long dead fin whale washes up on San Diego beach; cause
> of death unclear
>
> San Diego -  52-foot-long (16-meter-long) dead fin whale washed up on a
> San Diego beach over the weekend and officials said there was no obvious
> sign of the cause of death.
>       ====
> rest:
> https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/52-foot-long-dead-fin-whale-washes-up-on-san-diego-beach-cause-of-death-unclear/ar-AA1lll7k