Crackeling sound from cigarettes

Per

Apr 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/16/96
When I smoke a cigarette, sometimes I hear a crackeling
sound as I drag smoke into my mouth. Now a friend tells
me it is small buggs in the tobacco burning.
True?

//Per

Nathan J. Nagel

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/17/96
Excerpts from netnews.alt.folklore.urban: 16-Apr-96 Crackeling sound
from cigar.. by P...@nada.kth.se

I dunno... but why do clove smokes regularly crackle but Marlboros
almost never?

Nate

Per

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/17/96

Well I mostly smoke Marlboro, and I just think the crackling sound
comes from large pieces of tobacco or tar rich leaves or something.
Not small flies or bugs.
I found "clove" in my dictionary. I couldn't figure out what that
would have to do with cigarettes.

//Per.

Dave Budd

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/18/96
>Excerpts from netnews.alt.folklore.urban: 16-Apr-96 Crackeling sound
>from cigar.. by P...@nada.kth.se
>> When I smoke a cigarette, sometimes I hear a crackeling
>> sound as I drag smoke into my mouth. Now a friend tells
>> me it is small buggs in the tobacco burning.
>> True?

Those of us who used to regularly open up cigarettes for various reasons
know that there's an awful lot of crap in most of them - including bits of
plastic (sometimes), and twiggy bits (often). All kinds of stuff in them
might generate a crackling sound. Give it up.

--
...or something

Dave Budd +44 161 275 6033 fax 6040 D.B...@mcc.ac.uk
http://www.man.ac.uk/~zlsiida (officially open! but not very good)

Barbara Mikkelson

Apr 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/19/96
The covert arm of AFU Inc. has long been secreting certain noxious
chemicals in the cigarettes of potential subversives. Therefore, if
you find your cigarettes merrily crackling away, it's a lead pipe cinch
we had advance notice you were about to post something pointless and
off-topic and took steps to ensure you wouldn't be around to do so again.

A newsgroup devoted to the art of smoking would have been a much safer
place to post this idiotic question. Survivors take note.

Barbara "tried to smoke a salmon once but couldn't keep it lit" Mikkelson
--
Barbara Mikkelson | This may be the single dumbest argument I've
bha...@fas.harvard.edu | ever engaged in, but your rock-solid surety
| in taking on such a counterintuitive position
| intrigues me. - Angus Johnston

Ken Comer

Apr 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/19/96
In article <3174e3d...@nntpserver.swip.net>,

Per <d95...@nada.kth.se> wrote:
>On Wed, 17 Apr 1996 15:27:06 -0400, "Nathan J. Nagel"
><gear...@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>
>>Excerpts from netnews.alt.folklore.urban: 16-Apr-96 Crackeling sound
>>from cigar.. by P...@nada.kth.se
>>> When I smoke a cigarette, sometimes I hear a crackeling
>>> sound as I drag smoke into my mouth. Now a friend tells
>>> me it is small buggs in the tobacco burning.
>>> True?

Exceedingly unlikely. From your ".se" domain, I can see that you are
writing from outside the U.S.A. This means that it is possible that
your "Marlboros" are not the same as Marlboros made in the U.S.A. On
your next carton (not pack), note the manufactory location-- I have
noted a wide variation in quality Salems and Kools depending on whether
they were produced in the U.S.A. or locally in whatever other country I
bought them.

The most probable explanation is that the chemicals added to the tobacco
to cause it to burn more evenly and not go out by itself are unevenly
applied in the packs you get. I have noted this to be the case with
most "knock-off" packs. (They are actually licensed by the parent
company, so aren't actually "knock-off" packs-- but they frequently bear
little resemblance to the version sold in the U.S.A. other than the
package.)

>>I dunno... but why do clove smokes regularly crackle but Marlboros
>>almost never?
>>

> I found "clove" in my dictionary. I couldn't figure out what that
>would have to do with cigarettes.

"Clove cigarettes" are wonderfully tasty, mildly intoxicating, and--
from what I have read-- about 200 times as risky as normal tobacco cigs.
These are sometimes called, "Kreteks" after the name of the most popular
brand. They're basically spiced cigs.

the "damn! fresh out!" spiegel

xxx .sig break
--
*=*=*=*=*=*=*+*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*+*=*=*=*=*=*=*
Ken Comer | http://www.metronet.com/~kcomer | aka spiegel

Moira Smith

Apr 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/20/96
Per wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Apr 1996 15:27:06 -0400, "Nathan J. Nagel"
> <gear...@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>
> >Excerpts from netnews.alt.folklore.urban: 16-Apr-96 Crackeling sound
> >from cigar.. by P...@nada.kth.se
> >> When I smoke a cigarette, sometimes I hear a crackeling
> >> sound as I drag smoke into my mouth. Now a friend tells
> >> me it is small buggs in the tobacco burning.
> >> True?

I was told this over 20 years ago in Ireland. Someone had seen it on TV.
So it sounds like a UL to me. (Otherwise I have smoked a lot of bugs in
my time!)

Moira

Per

Apr 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/21/96
On 19 Apr 1996 05:51:36 GMT, bha...@fas.harvard.edu (Barbara
Mikkelson) wrote:

And if I am a newbie who incorrectly thought your eminent newsgroup
was the right place to ask such a stupid question, then why would a
enlightened and smart non-smoking dweeb like you care at all? Sorry I
upset your surviving mind.

//Per. (Non-smoking dweeb and computer-nerd-usenet-newbie)

Per

Apr 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/21/96

Yes!

So someone else except from stupid me have "heard" this. I'm not
alone! Well I still think it could be anything crackeling in those
cigarettes, even if I didn't say so in my first post.

//Per.

frank adey, 101556,547

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
I've been told that the crackling is due to saltpetre, added to the
tobacco by the manufacturers so that the cigs keep burning away even
if you aren't drawing on them (unlike roll-up cigarettes). Can
anybody in the coffin nail business confirm this?

--
Frank Adey

S.C.Sprong

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
In article <4lg5pg$lqq$1...@mhafn.production.compuserve.com>,
10155...@CompuServe.COM has been brainwashed to confess...

FurrfuTM! It's just the sound of dry leaves burning. Shaggy tobacco
is very moist and therefore doesn't crackle as much.
Saltpetre is just a too expensive add-on anyway. It's better business
practise to sell the smokers extra matches and lighters adorned with
logos and advertisements.

The anti-smoking 'hetze' is carried a teensy tiny bit too far, IMO.
The only tobacco conspiracy is the devil-pact between the government
and the industries. The government sternly warns about the dangers of
smoking, but rakes in the taxe anyway [1][2]. The tobacco industry
sponsors all kinds of sports tournaments, art exhibitions, etc. that
the government refuses to subsidise[3] to force the organisers 'to go
commercial'.

Regards,
Servaas'ugge ugge[4]'Sprong

All trademarks are the sole property of AFU IncTM and the Usenet CabalTM

[1] A Dfl 0.75 cigar is about Dfl 0.50 taxes.
[2] To finance homes for the never-dying, insanely healthy
(bi/tri?)centenarians no doubt.
[3] E.g. Drum Filmfestival (Drum=shaggy tobacco), the companies
that sponsor F1 racing, etc.
[4] 'cough cough'

JOHN R. SEMPLE

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
>Per wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Apr 1996 15:27:06 -0400, "Nathan J. Nagel"
>> <gear...@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> >Excerpts from netnews.alt.folklore.urban: 16-Apr-96 Crackeling sound
>> >from cigar.. by P...@nada.kth.se

I don't get it. When you burn a pile of leaves, they crackle. When you
burn logs in the fireplace, they crackle and pop. Why should burning
tobacco be any different? Why is there even a question?

Bill Penrose

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
Frank Adey wrote:

>I've been told that the crackling is due to saltpetre, added to
>the tobacco by the manufacturers so that the cigs keep burning
>away even if you aren't drawing on them (unlike roll-up
>cigarettes). Can anybody in the coffin nail business confirm
>this?

Watch a burning cigarette closely sometime. The paper flares up
and burns along those faint gray rings, as you said, even if you
don't drag on it. Once lit, a mfd. cigarette will burn to the end
w/out a single drag.

Don't ask what those tiny holes in the filters are for.

Bill "Maybe that's how the bugs get in" Penrose

--
Sex! Drugs! Powder snow! All this and more on the most text-heavy
home page you'll ever see. No audio or video, just good writing.

DaveHatunen

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96

[...]

>Well I mostly smoke Marlboro, and I just think the crackling sound
>comes from large pieces of tobacco or tar rich leaves or something.
>Not small flies or bugs.

> I found "clove" in my dictionary. I couldn't figure out what that
>would have to do with cigarettes.

I understand that the sound actually comes not from the cigarette, but
from the sounds of breaking molecular bonds in the DNA of your mouth and
lips...

--

********** DAVE HATUNEN (hat...@netcom.com) **********
* Daly City California *

war...@borg.com

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/23/96
What the heck are you, a tobacco appologist?

Warren
http://www.borg.com/~warren

Grant Severn

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/23/96
Per (d95...@nada.kth.se) wrote:
: When I smoke a cigarette, sometimes I hear a crackeling

: sound as I drag smoke into my mouth. Now a friend tells
: me it is small buggs in the tobacco burning.
: True?

The crackling is little bits of sulphur used to keep the cigarette
alight.

Nathan J. Nagel

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/23/96
Excerpts from netnews.alt.folklore.urban: 22-Apr-96 Re: Crackeling sound
from c.. by DaveH...@netcom.com
> In article <3174e3d...@nntpserver.swip.net>,
> Per <d95...@nada.kth.se> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >Well I mostly smoke Marlboro, and I just think the crackling sound
> >comes from large pieces of tobacco or tar rich leaves or something.
> >Not small flies or bugs.
> > I found "clove" in my dictionary. I couldn't figure out what that
> >would have to do with cigarettes.

A clove is a spice, usually found stuck into your Christmas ham.
Yes, some people do somke them, I've tried them a few times and they're
actually quite nice. They wreck your lungs though, so they're just a
once in a while treat.

Nate "smokin' banana peels" Nagel

TVD

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/23/96
In <4lh2ne$9os$6...@mhade.production.compuserve.com>, Bill Penrose <73744...@CompuServe.COM> writes:

>Don't ask what those tiny holes in the filters are for.

For what are those tiny holes?

>Bill "Maybe that's how the bugs get in" Penrose
>
>--

Todd A. Van Duren
t...@vnet.ibm.com

RW HANNU

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
In article <4lhv2l$f...@ns2.borg.com>, war...@borg.com writes:

>What the heck are you, a tobacco appologist?

And what the heck are you, a jerk?

RW Hannu

Joachim Berdal Haga

Apr 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/25/96

In article <4lg8vv$g...@dinkel.civ.utwente.nl>, you write:
> In article <4lg5pg$lqq$1...@mhafn.production.compuserve.com>,
> 10155...@CompuServe.COM has been brainwashed to confess...
>
> >I've been told that the crackling is due to saltpetre, added to the
> >tobacco by the manufacturers so that the cigs keep burning away even
> >if you aren't drawing on them (unlike roll-up cigarettes). Can
> >anybody in the coffin nail business confirm this?
>
> FurrfuTM! It's just the sound of dry leaves burning. Shaggy tobacco
> is very moist and therefore doesn't crackle as much.
> Saltpetre is just a too expensive add-on anyway. It's better business
> practise to sell the smokers extra matches and lighters adorned with
> logos and advertisements.

I don't know about saltpetre, but I saw a television program about
a year ago (yep, saw it on TV -- must be true) where a spokesman
for a tobacco company was asked if the addition of chemicals to
keep the cigarettes lit was a ploy to make smokers smoke more. He
answered that this is what the smokers want. They don't want to
relight their cigarettes all the time.

So even though he didn't actually say so, it was quite clear that
something is added to keep them burning.

- Joachim H.

Rachel Aschmann

Apr 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/28/96

cee...@cee.hw.ac.uk (Joachim Berdal Haga) wrote:

>> >I've been told that the crackling is due to saltpetre, added to the
>> >tobacco by the manufacturers so that the cigs keep burning away even
>> >if you aren't drawing on them (unlike roll-up cigarettes). Can
>> >anybody in the coffin nail business confirm this?
>>
>> FurrfuTM! It's just the sound of dry leaves burning. Shaggy tobacco
>> is very moist and therefore doesn't crackle as much.
>> Saltpetre is just a too expensive add-on anyway. It's better business
>> practise to sell the smokers extra matches and lighters adorned with
>> logos and advertisements.

>I don't know about saltpetre, but I saw a television program about
>a year ago (yep, saw it on TV -- must be true) where a spokesman
>for a tobacco company was asked if the addition of chemicals to
>keep the cigarettes lit was a ploy to make smokers smoke more. He
>answered that this is what the smokers want. They don't want to
>relight their cigarettes all the time.

>So even though he didn't actually say so, it was quite clear that
>something is added to keep them burning.

I speak as someone who is always quitting smoking. The reason most
over the counter cigarettes keep burning is because they are packed
loosely, and therefore, use less tobacco. On the few occasions I
actually purchased high class, not to mention even more expensive,
cigarettes from a tobacco shop they did go out if you did not keep
puffing because they are packed much tighter.

This is the reason people tap a new pack of cigarettes, so that they
will burn longer.

Rachel Aschmann - Coming to you from Tucson AZ
rac...@azstarnet.com
"If you can keep your head when all about you
are losing theirs and blaming it on you.
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
And make allowance for their doubting, too"

Sean Willard

Apr 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/29/96

Bill Penrose <73744...@CompuServe.COM> writes:

| Don't ask what those tiny holes in the filters are for.

Fine, I won't. Instead I'll put forth a possible explanation---
that's how you lower the tar & nicotine `content'. The idea is that
if not for the holes, everything you inhale would have come from or
through the burning end; instead, air is sucked in the holes. Hell of
a lot simpler than trying to somehow extract nicotine and the
precursors of tar(*). My friends who do chimney imitations have
played with making their own `low-tar' fags by poking more holes in
the filter and say that it's about like smoking Silk Cut
Ultra-Gay-Boys (TM P.R. Newman).

Sean

(*) I'm going on the assumption that what's called `tar' is a general
term for various solid combustion products inhaled by all you poor
nicotine addicts. Oder?

Michael Adamson

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

The good ol' Merck Index (biochemists bible) states one of the many uses for
potassium nitrate (KNO3) aka "saltpeter" as being "treating tobacco to
make it burn evenly". The amount required would be pretty small, and at
approx A$45 per kg for analytical grade stuff, I doubt whether cost would
prohibit its use.

Angus Johnston

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

se...@panix.com (Sean Willard) writes:

> Bill Penrose <73744...@CompuServe.COM> writes:
> |
> | Don't ask what those tiny holes in the filters are for.
>
> Fine, I won't. Instead I'll put forth a possible explanation---
> that's how you lower the tar & nicotine `content'. The idea is that
> if not for the holes, everything you inhale would have come from or
> through the burning end; instead, air is sucked in the holes.

A recent PBS report on the cig industry confirmed this, with a more
sinister spin---the piece argued that although the holes are clear
during machine-testing for tar and nicotine, they're often covered over
by the smoker's lips in practice. Thus, the cancer merchants fool their
customers into thinking they're getting a less deadly smoke, and the
government gives its imprimatur to the deception.

--
Angus "no claims of fact here, just vectoring" Johnston

http://www.panix.com/~angusj

RW HANNU

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

In article <4m82dj$9...@news1.panix.com>, ang...@panix.com (Angus Johnston)
writes:

>A recent PBS report on the cig industry confirmed this, with a more
>sinister spin---the piece argued that although the holes are clear
>during machine-testing for tar and nicotine, they're often covered over
>by the smoker's lips in practice. Thus, the cancer merchants fool their
>customers into thinking they're getting a less deadly smoke, and the
>government gives its imprimatur to the deception.

I don't recall ever having seen an advertisement that implied, "Get a
weaker dose of smoke due to the little holes in our filters". I agree
that in practice, the actual smoker gets a different dose than the
machine, but I don't think anyone is "fooled".

RW Hannu

Sean Willard

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

RW HANNU <rwh...@aol.com> writes:
| I don't recall ever having seen an advertisement that implied, "Get a
| weaker dose of smoke due to the little holes in our filters". I agree
| that in practice, the actual smoker gets a different dose than the
| machine, but I don't think anyone is "fooled".

No one said a thing about whether ads specified the means by which a
cigarette's tar and nicotine output is lessened. If anything, there
might well be motivation for tobacco companies to play down just how
trivial the difference is between regular and lo-tar cigarettes.

As for the foolery, how many smokers do you think know or suspect that
they are getting nearly as much tar and nicotine from low-tar
cigarettes as from regular? If people were aware of that, why would
anyone buy low-tar cigarettes?

Sean

Michele Tepper

May 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/5/96

In article <4mb028$9...@panix2.panix.com>, Sean Willard <se...@panix.com> wrote:

> As for the foolery, how many smokers do you think know or suspect that
> they are getting nearly as much tar and nicotine from low-tar
> cigarettes as from regular? If people were aware of that, why would
> anyone buy low-tar cigarettes?

It's My Understanding (yeah, weasel word alert) that the the little holes
in the filter have little or nothing to do with the lessening of low-tar
cigarettes' badness quotient. It's Also My Understanding that Studies
Have Shown that people who go from smoking high-tar cigarettes to low-tar
ones tend to smoke more/smoke more of the cigarette and end up getting
the same dosage of the evil weed regardless.

I'm gonna have to ask my School of Public Health housemates to teach me
about Medline so I can look this sort of thing up myself.

Michele "all weasel words capitalized for your protection" Tepper

--
Michele Tepper "...textuality, like Elvis, is everywhere."
mte...@panix.com -- Michael Berube

Jason R. Heimbaugh

May 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/6/96

Michele Tepper wrote:
>Michele "all weasel words capitalized for your protection" Tepper

!echo "Michele Tepper" >> ~/afu/weasel.words.list.of

--
Jason R. Heimbaugh - ja...@heimbaugh.com

Bill Penrose

May 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/7/96

RW HANNU <rwh...@aol.com> wrote:
| I don't recall ever having seen an advertisement that implied,
|"Get a weaker dose of smoke due to the little holes in our
|filters". I agree that in practice, the actual smoker gets a
|different dose than the machine, but I don't think anyone is
|"fooled".

Remember the Carlton ("Carlton is lowest!") Airstream filter? Its
holes are bigger than those in most low-tar filters. Ergo, each
butt, when machine-smoked, delivered only 1 mg. tar and 0.1 nic.
But get your lips around the holes and the dose goes way up.

And Sean Willard replied (to HANNU, not me):

>As for the foolery, how many smokers do you think know or
>suspect that they are getting nearly as much tar and nicotine
>from low-tar cigarettes as from regular? If people were aware of
>that, why would anyone buy low-tar cigarettes?

People buy low-tar butts to alleviate the cognitive dissonance
that arises from continuing a habit they know may prove fatal.
Once hooked on nicotine, a smoker's only concern is taking in
enough to prevent withdrawal symptoms. The tobacco co.s put holes
in filters to fool the FTC's nic.-measuring machines. More air
per drag dilutes the amount of tar and nic. Not that they _know_.

--
Sex! Drugs! Powder snow! New stuff added April 18th.
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/redpen/articles.html

RW HANNU

May 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/9/96

In article <4mo20m$1qa$1...@mhafc.production.compuserve.com>, Bill Penrose
<73744...@CompuServe.COM> writes:

>People buy low-tar butts to alleviate the cognitive dissonance
>that arises from continuing a habit they know may prove fatal.
>Once hooked on nicotine, a smoker's only concern is taking in
>enough to prevent withdrawal symptoms. The tobacco co.s put holes
>in filters to fool the FTC's nic.-measuring machines. More air
>per drag dilutes the amount of tar and nic. Not that they _know_.

I switched to low tar cigarettes because they didn't taste as strong and
it was easier to chain-smoke them all day long. If I was going to smoke 2
or 3 packs of something a day, I wanted to smoke something that didn't
give me a sore throat.

RW Hannu